Most overhyped and Most Underappreciated FE games?

Despite being a HUGE FE fan I have only played FE7 and Radiant Dawn although I have done 20+ playthroughs between them. I am just interested on these board for getting a feel of what people think is the most overhyped FE game and the least appreciated one as I begin to start playing the other Fire Emblems.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe FE7 is quite overhyped, however I may be speaking out of bias due to the fact that I did not enjoy it. On the other hand, I believe Shadow Dragon to be the most under appreciated. Tis quite a fun game, reclass makes things interesting.

FE4 seems pretty overhyped to me. Big, massive maps, full of empty actions with an unintuitive interface really makes it a hurdle for me to really want to play. Then again I typically don't like a whole lot of NES/SNES games because of the clunky and dated interfaces/controls. I appreciate the ideas and the unique execution of the story, but I feel like people severely downplay some of the issues with the gameplay.

Underappreciated? Probably Sacred Stones. It's not the best, and it's short, but it actually has a pretty nice crop of villains, both sympathetic and detestable. I find there's good replay value with the branched promotions and branched storyline, despite the fact that the route split only encompasses a few chapters.

While certain games have been overhyped in the past (namely FE4 and FE7) I don't think any really are right now. The Jugdral games used to be divisive, but now not so much. The Elibe games also have a pretty big mix of supporters and people who think they're mediocre. FE8 and FE10, which used to be viewed as "inferior" to FE7 and FE9, too seem to be getting a good amount of love. From what I've seen, the DS games are getting kind of left in the dust, but that's it.

While certain games have been overhyped in the past (namely FE4 and FE7) I don't think any really are right now. The Jugdral games used to be divisive, but now not so much. The Elibe games also have a pretty big mix of supporters and people who think they're mediocre. FE8 and FE10, which used to be viewed as "inferior" to FE7 and FE9, too seem to be getting a good amount of love. From what I've seen, the DS games are getting kind of left in the dust, but that's it.

Yeah, I've noticed that game popularity has evened out in recent years. Except FE6, which started as average but now no one seems to like it anymore. And everyone continues to not care about FE1-3 and hate Shadow Dragon.

I'd suggest just plunging into the games in any order you want and deciding for yourself :p

FE8 is pretty similar to FE7 if easier in gameplay, and I'm not sure what it would be like to play PoR after RD instead of the other way around, but it's a neat story and game experience unto itself. FE2, 4, and 5 are in some ways experiments with the formula.

Overhyped : I would've said FE4 before, but now FE7 seems to pick up the pace due to nostalgia or the whole "first FE I played/first FE in America" argument.

Underappreciated : Definitely TRS and Berwick Saga, though if we stay within FE itself, I want to say FE2 but I never really tried it so I can't say how good it is, therefore I'll go with FE12.

Edited by Doga Blockovich

Overhyped: FE13

This game is good but not as good as it's reputation. I mean we got a 3ds bundle for it and I don't think it deserves it.

Underappreciated: FE2

Just because it's a NES game it does not mean it's crap and don't forget that some of it's elements are carried to newer FE games.

FE12: This game is so underrated that it never made it to the west.

Agreed. Even though FE7 was my favorite for the longest time, I can agree that it was overhyped in the past, but not really anymore (just look at all the people in this very topic calling it overhyped. If everyone thinks that...is it really?). FE4 still feels a bit borderline to me, but there seem to be enough people on the less-appreciative side of it. I think the biggest problem with FE12 is the lack of access to it.

To be honest, Awakening might be the most overhyped right now, but that's not too fair since it is new and has a lot to offer. And its biggest flaws, like the mediocre story, seem to be acknowledged.

I do, however, still find RD quite underappreciated. No matter what anyone says I can never understand why people dislike the story so much (which I found to be the best in the series), and the gameplay is solid.

In light of most of the other comments, it wouldn't exactly be easy to say what's overhyped and underappreciated. That being said, I'd probably say FE4 is most overhyped (the giant maps just make it a chore to play IMO, and for that matter, another issue is with the gameplay - having to seize multiple locales each chapter just makes it even more clunky to play than it already is. And then there's Holy Blood practically making whoever has it blatantly overpowered.). As for most underappreciated game, I'd say RD. I might've said FE12, but the biggest issue with that one is more the lack of availability.

I can't say which one is overhyped... FE4 had a pretty strong support, but Awakening seems to have taken over.

Though a lot of us doesn't even haveit yet, so I can't really count it...

However, FE2 is certainly the more underhyped. except for a small fanbase, nobody talks about it.

It have aged, and we don't had a decent translations for a while, butit's pretty fun and interresting to play.

I don't know if FE8 is still seen that badly now.

It's certainly not the best, but it's a lot of fun.

FE5 may be the most divisive FE.

FE1 and 3 are pretty forgot, with their remakes available...

Overhyped: FE7. It's just another FE game and does nothing to stand out in my eyes. Except having that annoying boar Hector who I DESPISE!

Unerrated: FE8. I really liked the split path and map features and, while it's not the BEST FE I've played, gets far too much flack for what it is.