What a way...

23 members have voted

1. 1. Funny or offensive?

• I found it funny.
    • It was offensive.
    • I'm indifferent to the song.

It's Seth Macfarlane. I'm seriously asking to the people who are offended by this:

"What did you expect?"

He offends everyone EQUALLY.

I thought it was hilarious.

Edited by shadowofchaos

It's Seth Macfarlane. I'm seriously asking to the people who are offended by this:

"What did you expect?"

He offends everyone EQUALLY.

You don't hire the guy from Family Guy and American Dad fame and expect the majority of people to finish the night not offended.

I thought it was quite hilarious(probably because I'm a dude), but, then again, I don't get offended by A LOT of things.

But, apparently, everyone else agrees(so far)too...

Edited by The Starless One

True enough that his material wasn't surprising, being Seth, but that begs it be questioned why they had the guy host in the first place. Aside from ratings, but we probably all already knew that anyway.

The context of the song is that it's in some weird area of lampshading, so they get to say, "But he wasn't actually singing that, the whole thing was about going 'oh how awful would it have been if he actually did that straight right? *wink*'"

But the song was still on the opposite side of the spectrum as something sex-positive, it's singling people out and going "nyuck nyuck you did a topless scene owned," at least some of which were rape scenes if I heard correctly so there's an extra layer of crass in that the response to a depiction of rape was to go "nyuck nyuck boobs yes good" about it and leave it at that. And as it closed, alongside making it a punchline simply that somebody had done topless scenes in 6 (IIRC) movies, he snuck in the implication that the more topless scenes somebody does, the more they're expected to do. Man why would you do that whole "nyuck boobs" routine, while keeping it something like ambiguous if you were simultaneously doing a "nyuck what (a) slut(s)" routine, if you were just going to confirm it as you finished?

If he'd gone whole hog and also done a "we saw your dick/ass/bod/whatever" number/verse/whatever on male actors, or if the GMCLA had stripped and turned it into a real burlesque routine at the end, or if he'd at least given an extra-meta wink/nudge that he knew was picking on people or something, I think he would've had a better excuse than "but we just showed it to you and William Shatner slapped my wrist for it, I didn't sing it at you in person, I didn't play it straight!" but as it stands IMO it wasn't just offensive/misogynist, it was in poor form.

Of course then we come back to the context, where Shatner's doing a bit where he stops-but-also-doesn't-stop Seth from being Seth, but did they come back to it and go "Seth you realize just why it is your bit's kinda assholish, right?" Without that, it doesn't come off to me like they're going "Now that's very funny and all but the moral is that we should realize by now how hard it is for actresses to do a topless scene without getting shit for it, and how ridiculous it even is that it's a thing in the first place, I mean they're just boobs, we all have them"

as much as it seems like they're going "Here's McFarlane having fun being a jerk and here's Shatner going 'NO FUN ALLOWED oh wait shit I allowed the fun,' aren't they precious"

As an aside, I think it's funny how Seth has expressed classicist ideals in his admiration of mid-20th century singers, but put somebody with a classicist approach to/appreciation for animation and a fan of his shows in the same room and they wouldn't even need to have a chair thrown to start a fight. In fact, just by having mentioned it, there's probably a Disney and/or Merry Melodies fan brawling with somebody who swears by American Dad somewhere right now.

The man can sing, though. I'll give him that. Hell I don't even have to give it to him, he already has it. He's already a lounge lizard with a CD or so out on that front, right?

Since I didn't care about the oscars I really don't care about the timing and place he did it. But it was a classic Seth macfarlene joke so the first time I saw I chuckled a bit the second did nothing for me. I really couldn't care less he bad mouths half these people on his shows anyways.

I'm more offended by the volume in that clip. From what I could hear, I see it as more of a commentary about how much toplessness is in movies than anything. Thus, I'd rather study the implications of the song, rather than be offended by it.

I don't think it's a big deal and I think people get offended at everything too much. It's simply a fact that males like seeing breasts, especially gorgeous and famous actresses. The scenes involved in them aren't really relevant to the joke. I've had friends buy movies like "I Spit on Your Grave," which surrounds the plot of a woman being apparently graphically raped, because they wanted to see the actress naked.

Who really gives a shit in any event? It's purposeful toilet humor. Getting offended over it is moronic.

The facepalms (and pride by the girl that wasn't topless) looked staged (I have no idea if they were).

Also it's Seth AND you have to admit, the dude has talent.

That includes taking his knowledge of those movies and stringing it together with rhyme, but I mostly meant his voice.

and his face

no seriously, when I first saw him I was like "why doesn't this guy do live shows, he has the looks and humour for it easy"

In any case I lol'd. Like, actually out loud, which is rare for me. I usually CBF'd because even laughter takes more energy than I'm willing to invest.

I thought it was just fucking hilarious, but on the downside, every boy around my age who watched the Oscars is googling said movies.

seth macfarlane is up there with the writers of the big bang theory in terms of fantastic comedy

yeah and I'm the fucking queen of England that commands a legion of flying pigs!

Edited by Aizenberg

Dude the Big Bang Theory would be bearable and even fun to watch if it didn't have a laugh-track.

I swear to god I want to kill the person that pointed out it has one to me. I just can't watch any episode now, each joke pisses me off.

Dude the Big Bang Theory would be bearable and even fun to watch if it didn't have a laugh-track.

I swear to god I want to kill the person that pointed out it has one to me. I just can't watch any episode now, each joke pisses me off.

graaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

i haven't managed to watch a whole episode of it because of this

graaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

i haven't managed to watch a whole episode of it because of this

I just hate that the entire show is halted as the laughing goes on, takes a good 5 minutes from each episode.

Um.... I dunno, I almost feel like anybody who got offended by that must have to be super high-strung...

I think Tumblr is the word you're looking for

She's a nice guy

Wait what

Terrible as laugh tracks are, I do not think Big Bang Theory's laugh track is its weak point.