The Grand Experiment: Super Spriting Team Challenge!

Astelaine

03/07 edit: The team listings have been announced! Enrollment is now closed!

Hi folks!

It's time to shake things up around here! We've had plenty of competitions/activities for solo spriting work, but relatively little attention has been paid to joint projects. I think this is an area with a lot of potential - I've seen some really awesome pieces come out of collaborations between spriters, and in my personal experience, working with others has helped me to learn and pushed me to up my game. With that in mind, it's time for...

KnollRoll.gif Super Spriting Team Challenge! KnollRoll.gif

How it Works

Interested parties respond to this thread with a confirmation that they will participate. After the enrollment period, participants will be randomly matched with a partner. From there, the teammates have three weeks to make a sprite together. All finished entries will be PMed to me (Astelaine.) At the end of three weeks, we'll have a big showcase thread where we reveal and discuss the entries.

If there happens to be an odd number of participants, I'll sit out in order to ensure that everyone has a partner.

What is the point of this?

The point is for spriters here on SF to meet new people and work with spriters they wouldn't normally imagine working with. By collaborating, we can make new friendships, learn new techniques from each other, and hopefully create something badass that combines each participant's strengths. And of course, have some silly fun. If you go into this looking to win or prove that you're the best, you are doing it wrong!

What if I get paired with someone I dislike/someone I think is bad?

Deal with it! Don't enter if you're going to be picky about your partner. Like I said, the aim of this challenge isn't to win. People with a great disparity in skill might end up matched together, and that's okay. Experienced spriters have a lot to offer newcomers, and even newcomers have unique talents they bring to the table in terms of ideas, designs, or just a fresh set of eyeballs to catch errors with.

That said, if you have an arch-nemesis out there you absolutely can't work with, send me a PM and I'll make sure you aren't paired together.

How should we work together? Who should do what?

There's no right or wrong way. Part of the challenge is to decide on a process that works for both people involved. It's up to you to figure out how you handle it!

What if my partner drops out or we break up as a team?

If you can't continue working together for any reason, you are allowed to complete your project on your own and submit it independently.

Will there be voting?

Nope! The challenge is cooperative, not competitive. We'll raffle off the choice of the next round's theme to a team with a completed entry.

Other assorted rules

- GBA-style Fire Emblem portaits only. Battle sprites are a separate category - please respond below if you're interested in a battle sprite/animation partnership.

- 16 color limit (15 + 1 background color.) FE7 or FE8-style colors are preferred, but this isn't super-strict.

- According to their desire, teams may splice, full custom, or anything in between.

- To keep the challenge approachable for people of all skill levels, all portaits must be roughly hack-box sized (ie, must fit within a 96x80 box, or something close to it.) This isn't strict - you can go outside those dimensions - but no full or half-bodies, please.

- Only one entry will be permitted per team, unless the team has chosen to split up and submit independently.

Enrollment is currently closed. Team sprites should be PMed to Astelaine on or before Sunday, March 31st.

Challenge Theme: Sprite a Lord character! This can be an existing FE lord, or an original character meant to lead a Fire Emblem army - however you choose to interpret it.

Team Listings

[Portraits]

Team 1: Astelaine & Eclipse

Team 2: Kon & Ponih

Team 3: Freohr Datia & Acha

Team 4: Solum & Ubel Engel

Team 5: Mewiyev & Amelia

Team 6: RisingSolaris & Kramgnauh

Team 7: ShinyPichu & BwdYeti

Team 8: Fuzz94 & The Merc

Team 9: AthenaWyrm & Yoshi

Team10: ObLivia & MarioKirby

Team 11: MiniBladez & Lenh

Team 12: Redfield & Seph1212

[battle Sprites]

Team 13: Mercenary Lord & Deranger

Good luck, everyone! Feel free to use this thread to coordinate or discuss the project!

Edited by Astelaine

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LET US MAKE SPRITE BABIES

As for voting, fuck that shit. Just raffle off the next round to everyone who participated. Don't make this a contest, just make it something fun to do.

Edited by seph1212

I wouldn't mind participating in this. This has definitely piqued my interest.

...Though I feel that anyone I'm paired with will be all like, "GRAH, WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!"

Oooh, raffle for next theme selection, sounds good! Thanks Seph!

Addin' y'all to the participant list! Let me know if you have any questions.

I wouldn't mind participating in this. This has definitely piqued my interest.

...Though I feel that anyone I'm paired with will be all like, "GRAH, WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!"

Haha, that's the fun of it!

Edited by Astelaine

This might be the kick in the rear I need to start spriting again. As a forewarning, I'm pretty bad, so my advance apologies to whoever gets me. That being said. . .sure, I'll give it a shot.

(eCut, enter yourself)

EDIT: Requesting a PM when this thing kicks off, so I can be useful.

Edited by eclipse

This might be the kick in the rear I need to start spriting again. As a forewarning, I'm pretty bad, so my advance apologies to whoever gets me. That being said. . .sure, I'll give it a shot.

(eCut, enter yourself)

EDIT: Requesting a PM when this thing kicks off, so I can be useful.

Woo! Thanks for joining! Will PM you when I've rolled for your partner. :)

Where is my recognition for this??????????????

gold_star_diabetes.jpg

I would, but I can't face sprite to save my life

my point i im interested in battle sprites

I marked you down in the OP as interested in battle sprites. Is there anyone else who wants to do only battle sprites? If so, you can be partners. :) I put the emphasis on portaits because that is what most spriters here tend to focus on, but we can definitely have a battle sprite category if enough people (read: more than one) are interested.

>.<

I really want to join, but I'd feel bad for the person I have to work with, with my crappy spriting abilities.

But, I will anyways. My apology in advance to whoever gets me as their partner. 'w'

Good for you! Welcome aboard. I really hate that there's this whole "culture of shame" in art communities about being a newcomer/less practiced/whatever. There's no need to be ashamed about your ability or apologize for it, no matter what you think it is. You don't have to be a certain height to ride this ride, so I am glad you joined. I hope you will have fun with the challenge!

Edited by Astelaine

Good for you! Welcome aboard. I really hate that there's this whole "culture of shame" in art communities about being a newcomer/less practiced/whatever. There's no need to be ashamed about your ability or apologize for it, no matter what you think it is. You don't have to be a certain height to ride this ride, so I am glad you joined. I hope you will have fun with the challenge!

if so id like to join!!!

You're in, Pichu!

Updated the OP about a battle sprite category. Please let me know if you want to do battle sprites only, so Mercenary Lord can have a partner.

As for the enrollment deadline, I'm setting it at Wednesday, March 6, 11:59pm (EST). If you want to join and haven't already, please do so by then. I'll post the partner listings sometime on the 7th.

Edited by Astelaine

Updated the OP about a battle sprite category. Please let me know if you want to do battle sprites only, so Mercenary Lord can have a partner.

I'lll save you!

Seriously, I like battle spriting better, so I'm willing to give this a shot.

I'm down. ; D

Also, whoever I'm paired with will be pushed to make a full body with me. We'll only submit the hack box size as an entry but full body for great justice.

Edited by The Merc