I missed the application deadline for a speech

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as I know, it's whatever I like. Though I recall her mentioning that the topic had to include encouragement towards a change, so I'm guessing it would have to be commentary on something at least mildly important to a group of people.

Oh. Oh. I know what you should talk about.

http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=38437

Just to see the look on everyone's faces.

Oh. Oh. I know what you should talk about.

http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=38437

Just to see the look on everyone's faces.

This is a spectacular topic to write about and if I can't think of anything I will be sure to fall back on this.

Okay, okay, how's this: 侍と触手責め:日本の本当歴史, "Samurai and tentacle rape: The true history of Japan." It sounds snazzy.

This is a spectacular topic to write about and if I can't think of anything I will be sure to fall back on this.

Okay, okay, how's this: 侍と触手責め:日本の本当歴史, "Samurai and tentacle rape: The true history of Japan." It sounds snazzy.

It does sound snazzy.

But.

Would that be acceptable in the competition? (Tentacle rape?)

Edited by FranticforFreeFruityFruit

Well, yes and no. There are carvings in Japan associated with tentacles well prior to the Meiji Restoration, when that was placed into effect. It's widely regarded as the reason why tentacle-related erotic imagery and animation later took off, however, which makes sense.

Okay, okay, I have one entire day to write a draft of this speech. I still don't have a good idea of what to write on, though. Nothing's jumping out. Any suggestions would be great, right now I just have:

1.) Mass transit in Japan. Compare and contrast its ease of use and omnipresence in society with my country's overall lack. Perhaps comment on rare areas where they overlap closely (such as in NY).

2.) Discussion of my growth from indifference to the language to adoring it. I could point out sounds and word uses, etc. that interest me, and then point out types of words and pronunciations that still give me trouble. Problem is this has to be three minutes long and I don't want to delve too far into anime and videogames because I don't want to be that guy.

Number 1 could be good because there's a lot of disparity and commentary I could make. That said, this stuff could be pretty everyday for a lot of the audience and without a large wordbank I might end up making a very boring presentation, which would suck for me.

Number 2 might be nice as I have two events I could use which I think are pretty rich in "backstory," for lack of a better word, but I'm not sure. When I was a very young child (4-5) I used to often watch My Neighbor Totoro. I think I could probably use that as my starting point for being interested in the Japanese culture as opposed to the language. In junior high, when I was 12 or 13, we had transfer students from Japan that attended for a few days. They all had to bring Japanese-English dictionaries, and would freeze up in panic whenever talked to in English. I remember wanting so badly to be able to translate for the school and to make friends when I was a kid. I sometimes dream about doing it these days with my current abilities. I could also point out that it was then that I was exposed to the real spoken sound of Japanese and found it very beautiful-sounding.

Anyone got any ideas or commentary?

I think the second one would be more interesting, like you said.

Mass transit in Japan is very interesting, too, given the super high population density in the bigger cities... but... the "language" one would tell people about you. Who you are. And why you started learning Japanese. It's a personal experience, so it can be more engaging. (Mass transit in Japan, on the other hand, you could easily find online somewhere. Esau of Issac's story of how he wanted to learn Japanese? No. Unless a google search redirected you to SF... My English teacher says personal experiences usually, if not always, more engaging. And my Japanese teacher makes us write about that kind of stuff, too. Well, when we actually have to write, that is. -_-'

And I think you could make a three minute presentation without talking too much about anime or video games.

To me, if you add anything that isn't "My name is...," "I do this...," or "Nice to meet you," it's more than a "simple self-introduction." /result of living outside America for too long.

Anyway, good luck!

So hey fun times guys turns out the e-mail I listed in the application was to my business e-mail which I failed to check and was subsequently removed from the contest even after submitting everything on another e-mail.

Heeeeeeeeeey I want to break an elbow on someone's nose right now :newyears:

Oh god this is totally something that's going to happen to me, I'm shit at checking just one email account, the idea that one day I'm going to have to keep track of more than one? ulp

Edited by Rehab

Alright, it appears they accepted the submission I gave earlier from the other e-mail.

But NOW, I have to report to jury duty tomorrow. Tomorrow's a more important class in Japanese. Why must God torture me

why

please why god ouch my anxiousness hurts

Alright, it appears they accepted the submission I gave earlier from the other e-mail.

But NOW, I have to report to jury duty tomorrow. Tomorrow's a more important class in Japanese. Why must God torture me

why

please why god ouch my anxiousness hurts

you got a jury summons?

ok, maybe i'm not endorsing that haha