SF's Most Popular Coding Language?

Klokinator

44 members have voted

1. 1. What coding language(s) do you prefer using?

• C++
    • Java
    • Python
    • Perl
    • Ruby
    • Lua
    • Web languages (HTML/CSS/PHP/Javascript)
    • Game Maker (does this count)
    • Other (Specify below)
    • Coding is for smart people, dammit.
    • Jyosua da bes

Just wondering what the general coding competency of the SF userbase is. I know Camtech knows a little of this, a little of that, obviam might not even come here anymore, there's ryrumeli, etc. I'm sure there's other developers too that I don't really know about so I'm just wondering as a whole what the popular languages are around here.

Let's see. I've had experience with BASIC, VB, FORTRAN, Java, C++, Ruby, Lua, and I'm currently at college studying Web Development so you can add HTML, PHP, and SQL to that lot. I guess I'd consider myself competent.

Edited by Toothache

I voted "Web Languages", "Other" (Assembly, MATLAB), and the last option, though I've dabbled in other stuff.

Also I'm not sure how much of a "programming language" HTML is considered...

EDIT: terminology error

Edited by Burning Gravity

Why the fuck is Java and Javascript lumped together

You realise they're two completely different programming languages right

Also Java and C++

And web too lol I just saw that option

Edited by Thor Odinson

I originally had an option for "C Variants" but removed it because apparently C# and C++ are not the same things.

Edit: Yeah there's a reason I voted for the last option. I don't know the differences bewteen one coding language and another xB

Edit2: And someone else told me C# and Java were the same thing. Is C++ the same as Java or is C#?

Edited by Klok

I can slap some stuff together in Java.

I also figured out enough asm to do random dumb crap like disable the doubling of weapon triangle effects for reaver weapons in FE7 and how to control the hard mode bonuses for FE8. Wee.

I originally had an option for "C Variants" but removed it because apparently C# and C++ are not the same things.

Edit: Yeah there's a reason I voted for the last option. I don't know the differences bewteen one coding language and another xB

Edit2: And someone else told me C# and Java were the same thing. Is C++ the same as Java or is C#?

C# is microsoft copying Java basically and they have very similar syntax but they are not the same

C++ is built upon C but object oriented (don't really wanna explain it)

also pls separate java and javascript in the poll

Edited by Thor Odinson

Java, C#, and C++ are all object oriented programming langauges, but they are not the same. They all go about things a little differently.

I don't have a way to seperate the votes and Iunno how to cleanly add a new option of java after javascript. People can just vote for it and specify which they voted for?

Edit: Or never mind, maybe a mod will just edit the poll. :B

Edited by Klok

I figured it's early enough in the poll it can still be saved. I moved Javascript to Web languages, because honestly it is. I left Java alone where Java used to be, as I believe 3 of the 6 users voting explicitly mentioned Java in a post.

Edit: Also, sorry, I really should have asked before stepping on your toes like that, but I got a little jumpy.

Edited by Balcerzak

All I know is Java (and I've forgotten most of it in the last couple years) so that's what I voted. Should probably learn how to program soon before I take more programming classes in college.

Needs more lolcode.

On a serious note, I only know some C and Python. I vastly prefer Python, but I suppose C/C++ are more useful for a lot of applications.

You misspelled APL.

Though I've dabbled in all the poll options save Lua and Game Maker, the ones I'm most comfortable with are Perl and Javascript.

EDIT: Am I a bad person for preferring C over C++?

Edited by eclipse