for others who played this in japanese (slight spoilers) it was his sled

just a little curious if any of the units personalities were different than what you thought they were? something im still having fun with is seeing how off base i was trying to guess the story and personalities in the game. first minor one was seeing how apprehensive freddy was in the intro, gave me a little chuckle. also theres some downs here. i thought the scene where lucina reveals herself to chrome was very moving in japanese, but the english scene, while still moving, just didnt hit the same lvl of tear jerker. anyone eles?

Olivia is a hell of a lot less moe and more trying for the "cute complainer" type girl was my main nitpick about the English version.

Otherwise the important moments were spot on.

Edited by shadowofchaos

THIS IS STRICTLY A GOOD THING.

FOR YOU.

IT'S NOT LIKE I LIKE HOW CHARMINGLY RESERVED SHE IS IN JAPANESE OR ANYTHING. Her English counterpart tends to sound more like she's complaining than being shy. And "stage fright" is a legit translation for it, but both Annie and I still don't like that.

Lat me just say I believe this is one of the best localisations I've ever seen. It changes dialogue where it makes sense, and is actually funnier than the original for the most part. But best of all was that every character (exept Nowi, but that was for the best) was virtually unchanged. Even WITH Nowi, they managed to make her less creepily childlike while still keeping the content and subject of her supports intact, which they deserve serious credit for. I could find nothing to fault with the localisation...

Until I recruited Henry.

At first, nothing seemed to have changed. I liked his first speech to Chrom. His battle quotes were some of the best in the game. And then I began supporting him with Olivia...

Okay, so Henry/Olivia was the very first pairing whose Japanese supports I read on the site. And I, like several others, fell in love with it, no pun intended. Not only was it surprisingly sweet, but it showed something I like: character developent. That, and I really like characters with deep backstories and complex psychological reasons for being how they are. (Hey, I'm an Ace Attorney fan, what did you expect?)

Here's an extract from TV Trope's Stepford Smiler article. You don't really have to know what the term means to get it, only that I feel this describes Jp!Henry perfectly:

"It's readily apparent that he's not quite right in the head due to the fact that he's always smiling, even when talking about morbid subjects like torture. If he forms a bond with Olivia, he reveals it's because he was abandoned at an orphanage by his parents, where he suffered horrible abuse at hands of the "caretakers" there. Ever since, he's been hiding the lingering pain of those experiences behind a fake smile, but Olivia manages to break through and get him to smile for real, though."

But what happened in the localisation? Well, let's analyse the supports back-to-back. First, C:

Japanese Version

Henry: ...To think I'd find a little doggie here of all places. I see, so you've hurt your leg...

Olivia: ...Henry...? That's... what are you doing...!?

Henry: What am I doing...? I'm helping this little doggie~

Olivia: Eek...! But-but it looks to me... like you're trying to kill it...

Henry: Mmm-hmm and that's exactly what I'm doing. With its legs wounded like this, the doggie's never going to find food, so wouldn't it be better to end its life quickly, rather than let it slowly starve to death~?

Olivia: Pl-please stop! I-I'll... I'll take care of its wounds...!

Henry: Eh? You're going to waste valuable medicinal resources? And will they even work on dogs~?

Olivia: But I... there's no way I can turn a blind eye to this...! I'll accept full responsibility for whatever happens...

Henry: Ahahaha, that's great! Then I guess I'll help as well!

Olivia: Ooh... Henry, I know you're always smiling... but do you truly feel it's "great"...? Just a moment ago you were ready to kill the poor doggie...

Henry: That's because I thought that was its natural fate. But, after you intervened, its life now has hope again. So of course it's wonderful that the doggie can live again~! Good, good, nice doggie. Isn't it brilliant that your life can be saved~?

Olivia: ...Henry... you...

Henry: What is it~?

Olivia: It's nothing... I'll leave it for another day... Could you please... fetch me a bandage...?

Henry: Sure thing!

English Version

Henry: ...Aw, poor little doggy. The silly mutt stepped in a hole and hurt its leg.

Olivia: DON'T TOUCH THAT DOG!

Henry: Huh? What the hey?

Olivia: I know you! You're that creepy kid who likes blood and magic and...blood magic!

You stay away from that poor little doggy!

Henry: But this dog is hurt. See, his leg has this-

Olivia: N-no! Stop! I'll take care of him and nurse him back to health!

Henry: Huh? Oh, okay, sure! We can take care of him together!

Olivia: T-together? Waaait a second.

Aren't you going to sacrifice him to your dark god or something?

Henry: You're a crazy lady. Why would I do that? I love doggies!

I want to save his life! Right, boy? Who's a good boy?

Aren't you glad the crazy lady wants to help us? Yes you are!

Olivia: Hey! How am I crazy? You're the one who's obsessed with blood!

Henry: Hey, that's a medical condition! Show some respect!

Olivia: Oh, never mind. Right now, we have a dog that needs looking after.

Will you run and get me some bandages?

Henry: You got it, crazy lady!

Okay, so you'll probably realise they're very different. This worried me at first, and it turns out for good reason. But anyway, if anything Henry actually comes off as less creepy in the English one, because it's not explicitly stated he was going to kill the dog. Unfortunately, it's undermined by Olivia now thinking he's a creepy dark god worshipper. He he thinks she's crazy. This made me a little iffy on their relationship...

Now B:

Japanese Version:

Olivia: ...Pl-please wait, Henry. That stain on your clothes... what is it?

Henry: Huh? Wow, how comes I didn't notice it. This is... blood, my blood to be exact. Ahaha, so I injured my waist and that's why I've been feeling faint and dizzy all this time~

Olivia: There's nothing funny about that! We've got to treat you right away...!

Henry: Thanks, Olivia. I can't believe I didn't notice it at all~

Olivia: Li-liar...! How could you not have noticed such a deep wound...?

Henry: Oh, my reaction to pain is kind of slow~ This little scratch is hardly anything. Besides, I've experienced far worse pain before~

Olivia: F-far worse pain... What happened to you, Henry?

Henry: It all happened at the orphanage that my parents sent me to~ They used to prepare numerous forms of cruel punishment for naughty children~ Wow, those used to really hurt~

Olivia: How could they...! Did your parents take you back...?!

Henry: Hmm~ It seems they couldn't care less about what happened to me~ After that incident, they didn't bother caring for me at all~ They must have thought I was a burden, so that's why they dumped me at the orphanage~ But, thanks to that experience, I was able to develop my gentle and cheerful personality, so it wasn't a complete loss~

Olivia: That... that's not a cheerful personality. Henry, you're always... always forcing a smile on your face...

Henry: Eh? That's not true, this smile comes from deep within my heart.

Olivia: No... I've never seen your true smile... I... understand from when I dance. The expressions that people display momentarily--those are people's true feelings. Being subjected to cruel punishments at the orphanage... to think you would have such a tragic experience... I want to... see you smile, I want to see the true you... and your true smile....

Henry: The true me...? Hmm, I don't get it. I'm just me, simple as that.

Olivia: If-if you don't understand... then I'll help you... So please... from now, keep talking to me like we did today, okay...?

Henry: Mmm, sure thing~!

English Version

Olivia: Um, Henry? What are those red stains on your clothes?

Henry: Oh, will you look at that? It's blood! ...Wonder where it came from?

*Lick* ...Oh, hey! It's MY blood!

Nya ha! I must have been wounded in battle! Oh man, good times.

Olivia: GROSS! ...And also really creepy. And why are you laughing about it?!

That wound needs to be dressed immediately!

Henry: You wanna help? It's kind of out of the way, so I can't reach it.

Olivia: ...Oh, gods, look at how deep this is! How could you not notice?

Henry: Oh, I've got a high pain threshold. It's a genetic thing. Nerve damage.

I've had a lot worse than this!

Olivia: You've had WORSE? Where? And how?!

Henry: When I was a kid, my parents put me in this exclusive wizard school.

Well, as you can imagine, some of the experiments got a biiit out of hand.

Once, I almost set my face on fire! Nya ha! Those were the days...

Olivia: Your teachers were negligent. Why didn't your parents pull you out of there?

Henry: Meh, my parents didn't care what I did as long as I wasn't expelled.

Heck, the whole reason they sent me to wizard school was to get rid of me.

But hey, no worries! I turned out fine!

Olivia: I see now... Your cheerful demeanor is just a mask you use to hide your pain.

You use it as a cover to tamp down your deep=seated resentment and anger...

Henry: That's what all my psychiatrists said. But nope! Not true. I'm just a happy guy.

Olivia: No, no... You can't fool me. I've never seen a real smile from you, one from the heart.

I'm a preformer, you know! I can tell a faker when I see one.

Shhh... It's all okay now. You never need to visit that terrible school again.

Now come on, let down your guard. Show me the real Henry!

Henry: Wow. You really ARE a crazy lady!

Olivia: I am not crazy! I'm trying to help, so you could at least be polite!

*Sigh* All right, your wound is bandaged. But this isn't over, you hear?

I want you to come see me again so I can help you get over these emotional issues.

Henry: Hey, sure. I got time.

Okay, the actual content and topic of this support is mostly unchanged. But the tone of it certainly is. The Japanese still makes it pretty clear that his abusive childhood traumatised him. In the English version, he implies he actually enjoyed it. And he flat-out DENIES that it had anything to do with how he is today. At this point, I wasn't starting to like where things were going.

A:

Actually the A support is mostly the same, so I'll leave it out for TLDR reasons. Though Olivia's near death experience is played a little more comedic, which I didn't really like either.

And now, the big one. There's only one little change in this, but this one change TOTALLY FLIPS HENRY'S CHARACTER ON ITS HEAD.

Japanese Version

Olivia: Henry, I really must thank you for last time...

Henry: Oh, don't mention it. It would have been better if I had noticed sooner. I will never... ever let you fall under a curse again~

Olivia: Haha... Curses are your specialty, right? Henry, you're so reliable...

Henry: Mmm, you can count on me~!

Olivia: Ah... so this is your true... smile... It's a wonderful smile, Henry...

Henry: Ah... Did I... just then...?

Olivia: That's right...! With this, you no longer need me to teach you anything.

Henry: No... no way! Don't leave me! You need to stay by my side forever, Olivia...!

Olivia: Henry...?

Henry: Please marry me, Olivia. You're absolutely irreplaceable to me... I love you, more than anyone else... you're the person who taught me how to truly smile. I've even prepared a ring, so please...!

Olivia: That... that's... Let me say something... Henry... You've become so passionate all of a sudden... Could it be... that's your... true personality...?

Henry: Do you hate that kind of man?

Olivia: No... In fact... my feelings are the same as yours... Henry. Your ring... I'll graciously accept it...

Henry: Really? I did it~! Olivia, I love~ you so much~!

Olivia: Eeek!? Th-this is embarrassing~!! Bu-but... I'm so happy... And I... love... you too...

Henry: Ahahaha, thanks for confessing to me~

Olivia: Haha... From now onwards... you should keep showing me your wonderful smile... I truly love... that smile best.

English Version:

Olivia: Henry, I want to thank you for your help the other day.

Henry: Aw, don't worry about it. Really, I should have recognized the symptoms faster.

But don't worry! I'm gonna find who did it and make sure they never curse you again.

Oh, yes. There will be blood...

Olivia: Eek! I'm just glad you're on our side!

Henry: Well, I'm glad I'm on YOUR side!

Olivia: You do have a very nice smile, Henry. Even if it is a little creepy sometimes.

Henry: Aw, hamburgers. Really?

Olivia: Absolutely! And what's more, I was wrong to have ever doubted its sincerity!

I think I'm done giving you lessons.

Henry: Hey, I like your lessons! And I like YOU!

In fact... I wanna be with you all the time!

Olivia: Henry?

Henry: You don't think I went to all those frowning lessons because I wanted to frown, do you?

Heck no! I went because I wanted to see you and be with you!

So let's get hitched! What do you say? I've got a blood-magic spell all ready!

Olivia: Wh-what?! Um, but, H-henry, I don't...

Henry: Ha! Just kiddin'. I bought you a ring. Here, see? It's huge and everything.

Olivia: ...Oh my goodness. That IS huge!

You are a very odd man, Henry, and yet I find myself strangely attracted to you.

So yes. All right. Let's get married.

Henry: Awesome! You won't regret this, Olivia. I promise!

Olivia: Oh, this might just be the happiest day of my life!

Henry: Nya ha! Just hearing that makes me even happier than before!

Olivia: Hee hee. I didn't think that was possible...

And here it is. Remember that quote about Henry's character I showed before. Totally gone. Olivia goes from helping Henry get over his issues and show his true personality, to admitting his happiness is genuine and she was WRONG to think it wasn't! And that one change is HUGE.

TLDR version: Henry was turned from a deeply disturbed individual who developed mental problems due to traume, to a total sociopath who just loves killing people.

And I the only one who sees something VERY wrong with this??

The Japanese version of this was possible THE most hearwarming thing I've ever read. It converted my sister into one of the most die-hard shippers in existance. The English version genuninely creeped me out. I now find this pairing deeply disturbing, for too many reasons to explain here. And Henry went from being one of my favourite characters in the game to someone I actually couldn't stand. I actually couldn't bear to even LOOK at his portrait for a while after I did this, and seriously regretted making this pairing.

Only other thing I want to say. By making Olivia's lessons pointless, it effectively lessens her role in the support considerably. So i feel she has less of a reason for falling in love with him. Not only that, but his reason for falling from her changes from her helping him, to him just kinda thinking she's hot. That... really creeps me out, given his changed personality.

I apologise for this, I really do, but I just had to. This was probably the only thing in this whole game that made me disappointed. And angry.

*Obviously a very passionate post*

I had almost forgotten about that. Probably because I wanted to.

I have like... two reasons for that. XD

1. Waifu

2. I just didn't want to remember the English version one. Because "Crazy Lady" at Olivia was bad enough... she was acting enough of that way to justify his statement.

At least... she was acting a HELL of a lot more forward than what I remembered her personality to be.

Edited by shadowofchaos

I far prefer the Japanese version of this game, to the point that in retrospective, I'm glad I spent all that money to buy an extra 3DS just for the purpose to play FE13. Too many reasons to list.

First off, there's Frederick. Forgive me for likng stereotypical anime archtypes, but I find his old "I'm obssessive in serving people" personality much better than the somewhat sarcastic personality in the NA version. Then there's also Olivia's lack of shyness, and thanks to Big Klingy above I have one more character to dislike the localization change.

There's also Gregor's speech pattern (he reminds me of the TF2 Heavy, but without that kind of "I speak funny but I'm awesome" charm), Nah's B support conversation with her father, and for some reason I find the Avatar's support conversation with Ricken is less funny, even though the content is the same.

I don't think I've liked an overseas FE over its Japanese equivalent, save FE10. So there's that too.

EDIT - Sully swearing, Stahl "I could eat a pegasus" line, and Gaius's wanting to sacrifice his first son for sweets didn't help, either. While comical, they also sound disturbing.

Edited by nocturnal YL

of all the things you could've picked, you chose HENRY as the one bad localization?

what is this i don't even

I still think he has great lines. I just don't find him sympathetic as a character anymore.

I'm not a big fan of morally-questionable heroes. Part of the reason why most Western RPGs don't appeal to me.

I far prefer the Japanese version of this game, to the point that in retrospective, I'm glad I spent all that money to buy an extra 3DS just for the purpose to play FE13. Too many reasons to list.

First off, there's Frederick. Forgive me for likng stereotypical anime archtypes, but I find his old "I'm obssessive in serving people" personality much better than the somewhat sarcastic personality in the NA version. Then there's also Olivia's lack of shyness, and thanks to Big Klingy above I have one more character to dislike the localization change.

There's also Gregor's speech pattern (he reminds me of the TF2 Heavy, but without that kind of "I speak funny but I'm awesome" charm), Nah's B support conversation with her father, and for some reason I find the Avatar's support conversation with Ricken is less funny, even though the content is the same.

I don't think I've liked an overseas FE over its Japanese equivalent, save FE10. So there's that too.

EDIT - Sully swearing, Stahl "I could eat a pegasus" line, Gaius's wanting to sacrifice his first son for sweets didn't help, either. While comical, they also sound disturbing.

...Wow. I'm not trying to sound disrespectful here, but this might be the wrongest post I've seen in my entire life. I disagree with every single point here. Except for the FE10 one, thanks to the Black Knight retcon, but even then, that game's localization was a bit lacking on other fronts.

...Wow. I'm not trying to sound disrespectful here, but this might be the wrongest post I've seen in my entire life. I disagree with every single point here. Except for the FE10 one, thanks to the Black Knight retcon, but even then, that game's localization was a bit lacking on other fronts.

You have every right to disagree. Unlike most people here, I'm actually from the east. Perhaps this exaplains the vastly different taste.

You have every right to disagree. Unlike most people here, I'm actually from the east. Perhaps this exaplains the vastly different taste.

The worst part for me, despite being born in Asia as well... is that I'm currently in America. And all it does whenever I humbly express my opinion is apparently confirm that I'm some stupid weeaboo with no tolerance for people's preferences for English localization.

The worst part for me, despite being born in Asia as well... is that I'm currently in America. And all it does whenever I humbly express my opinion is apparently confirm that I'm some stupid weeaboo with no tolerance for people's preferences for English localization.

Yeah, I hate the weeaboo stigma too. People shouldn't be bashed just for liking something over something else.

I'm Australian, but the vast majority of my views on gaming conform to those of Japan, for reasons unknown even to me. I've never been called a weeb before, but I get the feeling I easily could be.

Still, I'm normally a huge fan of localisations including this one. I dislike the changes to one character. Literally everyone else was amazing, and that more than makes up for it.

I guess I'm still hurt from my OTP being changed. Oh well, I still have Ricken/Maribelle.

Edited by Big Klingy

I've got all of one pairing for Henry (it's Cordelia), and in that one, his methods come across as subtle. In other words, I think I'll have to read all of his supports carefully before I judge how "badly" he's been mauled.

I'm of Asian descent and I completely understand this. I am quite tired of people seeing somebody interested in Japanese culture as weeaboo and bad/dismissing them, sure there are some outliers who don't really understand much about the culture and are ignorant but how is it any different from liking other cultures from other parts of the world? One of the bigger cultures that are popular now is the (south)Korean culture. And they get no flak from their interests.

Japanese is my minor due to varying reasons to do with interest in the language+being into culture and music as well as Miyazaki films since childhood...I find that playing in Japanese gives me a somewhat better feel for some of the characters through language and tone. I can understand most of what they say since it is mostly simple words, and obviously I learn new ones by looking them up. Senryaku = strategy/tactics o-o.

I am a bit sad of how they changed Olivia, she isn't my type but I absolutely love her paired with Chrom. She is cute as she was in the Japanese version. Oh and Azure is a bro.

I also like Sariya's portrayal in Japanese as well, I feel it really gives more of a feel of a dark personality while still really caring for MU. (I miss a handmade lunch by her..but a liver and eel pie is just as good lol.)

Overall I can't help but feel that many of the women have a slightly harsher personality than in Japanese for the translation. Although in some cases it is drastic and in some it isn't that bad.

FOR YOU.

IT'S NOT LIKE I LIKE HOW CHARMINGLY RESERVED SHE IS IN JAPANESE OR ANYTHING.

Shadow, are you a bit envious of how cute Olivia stayed in her supports with Chrom? She's a loudmouth with most of the cast, but she's still such a delicate flower with Chrom.

^^" Edited by Paulina

how about this

BOTH VERSIONS OF THE GAME ARE AMAZING

I really really liked that rather than take the standard JRPG route and try to convert Japanese culture thingies into English ones they just took them and made them their own thing and I really really respect that

yes the Japanese versions are also hilarious and have their own charms but for the vast majority of people these don't translate very well which is why JRPGs tend to have fucking annoying-as-fuck scripts and voice actors

therefore I conclude by saying "each version does exactly what it needs to, and does it well"

also @ BigKlingy aren't those translations from Chinese translations? If so, I would very much doubt the integrity of those translations

I'm of Asian descent and I completely understand this. I am quite tired of people seeing somebody interested in Japanese culture as weeaboo and bad/dismissing them, sure there are some outliers who don't really understand much about the culture and are ignorant but how is it any different from liking other cultures from other parts of the world? One of the bigger cultures that are popular now is the (south)Korean culture. And they get no flak from their interests.

ahaha

ahahaha you can't be serious

EDIT - Sully swearing, Stahl "I could eat a pegasus" line, and Gaius's wanting to sacrifice his first son for sweets didn't help, either. While comical, they also sound disturbing.

wait what the butt

how is this disturbing

EDIT: I mean, even though I don't agree with the other two at least I can see some rationale behind them. Have you never heard the phrase "i'm so hungry i could eat a horse"?

Edited by Integrity

wait what the butt

how is this disturbing

This is... well, the least disturbing thing among everything I listed, I'll admit. While it's just the common expression "I could eat a horse" getting FE-ized, it gives me some... wild imagination when I try to think about it literally.

This is... well, the least disturbing thing among everything I listed, I'll admit. While it's just the common expression "I could eat a horse" getting FE-ized, it gives me some... wild imagination when I try to think about it literally.

that

I mean, dude. I like opinions and all, but that's really a silly thing to complain about. Of COURSE thinking about common expressions that we use in English all the time literally is the wrong way to do it. ;/

Although the localization is top notch and the changes can be considered "good". VG can never be considered an artform if any change to a original context is tolerated even by it's fans and even be called "strictly better". Think of it this way, if a classic foreign book or movie is changed to meet cultural demands or tried to be made "better" locally it would be absurd. The act itself would be condemned. I'm glad they added the Japanese tracks at least, though it is bugged as hell. Some games, due to game size issues or the producers/publishers just don't see it as important, leave out the original language, which is tantamount to say, leaving out the Japanese track in a DVD/BD release of Seven Samurai, which is a absolutely absurd notion to begin with. And then the localizers can maybe change around the characters a bit in the movie because they believe it will make it "better".

Edited by Cucco Jump