How Do You Say This in Japanese?

Flying Shogi

Multiple ways to say it.

I'll go with the "I'm okay" variations. The first part is the "I'm okay".

大丈夫です。 心配しないでください。

Daijyoubu desu. Shinpai shinaide kudasai.

平気です。 心配しないでください。

Heiki desu. Shinpai shinaide kudasai.

Multiple ways to say it.

I'll go with the "I'm okay" variations. The first part is the "I'm okay".

大丈夫です。 心配しないでください。

Daijyoubu desu. Shinpai shinaide kudasai.

平気です。 心配しないでください。

Heiki desu. Shinpai shinaide kudasai.

Now in disarming casual™!

大丈夫、大丈夫!心配ないで

Daijoubu, daijoubu! Shinpainaide

So if I really wanted to, I can add "boku no," right?

While I'm here, I also like some clarification on the Japanese language. I know that "watashi" is generally the first person pronoun for females but why do some males use that? Is there a connotation associated with males using that particular pronoun?

Secondly, how does one properly use "kimi?" I've heard that it's supposed to denote an insult but I've heard older people call younger people by that. I'm assuming there are times in which both are appropriate.

Edited by MagicLugh

You can't really "properly" use kimi unless you're intending to be rude or very intimate. It's not a "proper" way of saying you, is what I mean. (that'd be like someone asking "how do I properly use 'shit'?")

"Boku" is just masculine--by the way, you would add boku wa not boku no--it's like how in English guys can say "dude" or "man" whereas when girls say it they sound slightly masculine. That's just the way it is. Watashi is a gender-neutral way of saying "I", which is why you hear females saying it more than males. It's not that it's the female way. Also boku is generally only used by young males.

DAIJOUBU DAIKARA SHINPAI SURUNAA is your best bet for OP question btw

ALSO BY THE WAY it's romaji, not romanji

Edited by Agro

That shall be changed.

Thanks. That cleared up a lot of things.

I do have one more question though. Is "wa" similar to the English equivalent of is/are/am while "no" function as a possessive like the apostrophe s in English?

So if I really wanted to, I can add "boku no," right?

If you wanted to then you could add in "Boku wa."

While I'm here, I also like some clarification on the Japanese language. I know that "watashi" is generally the first person pronoun for females but why do some males use that? Is there a connotation associated with males using that particular pronoun?

Watashi is gender-neutral. It's used by females and males. When you are speaking casually then it is a bit feminine, but otherwise it's used by everyone.

Secondly, how does one properly use "kimi?" I've heard that it's supposed to denote an insult but I've heard older people call younger people by that. I'm assuming there are times in which both are appropriate.

An older person may use "kimi," but that would be because they're not obliged to use more polite speech to someone below them. You can use "kimi" as a pronoun to refer to someone if you want, but it's very informal. Generally, you simply use their name to refer to them.

Romanji is like "ain't" these days. Even if not strictly correct, it's widely used.

I do have one more question though. Is "wa" similar to the English equivalent of is/are/am while "no" function as a possessive like the apostrophe s in English?

Sort of. "Wa," actually "ha" は in Japanese but pronounced as "wa" in this case, is a particle used to indicate the subject of a sentence. "No," の is a particle used to indicate ownership. It's more or less equivalent to "de" in Spanish.

Edited by Esau of Isaac

How do you say "I love you because you are kind" or do you need more context than that? Before you guys answer that, is because "dade," kind "yasashi," and you are "ore?"

This is going to be the worst story that I've ever written for English. Oh well.

Edited by MagicLugh

Assuming that's pretty informal/personal/intimate, I would go with "Yasashi(i) no de, daisuki( da[?])." You put a "kimi ga" in there, too. I'm not the best at Japanese, especially within a conversation like this, though. Also, I don't know where you put spaces in romaji, so I made it up.

edit: I'm pretty sure Ore is either an arrogant way to say "I" or the royal we. I've personally never been taught dade, but rather node. Dade makes sense, but with yasashii you wouldn't use da based on what I know.

Edited by Rewjeo

Maaaan... this is sounding just as cheesy as the S support confessions in FE13. XD

Not nearly as cheesy as-- *ahem* never mind.

Anyways.

As for the above poster's suggestion, if it's informal, "no de" doesn't really work. Well, if it's a girl that is usually very formal...

But I'd go with "Yasashii kara, suki/daisuki da." to sound relatively guy-ish.

Man, there are SOOOO many ways to go about this.

If it's a girl going with the confession... they could go the route of multiple reasons like say:

"Yasashii shi, itsumo ooenshitekureru shi, suki desu." (You're so kind, and always there supporting me... I love you.)

Edited by shadowofchaos

あの。。。実は。。。愛してる!僕と結婚して!

I don't remember any guy saying "Aishiteru" from any media I've read/watched unless it's:

1. A REALLY cheesy movie/anime/VN.

2. Serious moment, like they're about to die from the planet blowing up or something.

3. Reassuring the girl because she's on the brink of despair to bring her back.

I don't remember any guy saying "Aishiteru" from any media I've read/watched unless it's:

1. A REALLY cheesy movie/anime/VN.

2. Serious moment, like they're about to die from the planet blowing up or something.

3. Reassuring the girl because she's on the brink of despair to bring her back.

Didn't he say he wanted it as cheesy as possible?

How do you say "I love you because you are kind" or do you need more context than that? Before you guys answer that, is because "dade," kind "yasashi," and you are "ore?"

This is going to be the worst story that I've ever written for English. Oh well.

"Ore" is a really rough way of saying "you" (and the converse of this is "omae" for "me"); the image you're trying to project by referring to people that way is a super-tough manly one. If anyone says this, it's gonna be the guy. If you're writing this for English, a little context would help!

あの。。。実は。。。愛してる!僕と結婚して!

Aww. That's so sweet but they're(the characters) not at that point yet.

Google translate FTW.

"Ore" is a really rough way of saying "you" (and the converse of this is "omae" for "me"); the image you're trying to project by referring to people that way is a super-tough manly one. If anyone says this, it's gonna be the guy. If you're writing this for English, a little context would help!

I kinda just want it to be a normal guy saying that line to a girl so people can relate more. Basically, these 2 Japanese American high school students go to this school and the guy finally realizes that he likes the girl after their 4 years of high school. They know some Japanese but not much. The scene with actual Japanese will be limited to that scene(in which he confesses to the girl) since I am writing this for an English audience.

So yeah, that's the gist of it.

If you want to make him look stupidly manly for comedic effect (see: nerd guy puffing out his chest)/emphasize that he knows the language but has no idea how to manipulate the subtleties of it, you can do something like:

"Ore wa ... yasashii dakara ... (aishiteru)/(daisuki) da ..."

("aishiteru" is more literal, more cheesy, and more "incorrect"; "daisuki" is what you're more likely to expect).

If you want something more down-to-earth, then:

1. Replace "ore" with "anata".

2. Use "daisuki" over "aishiteru".

It's a very stupidly stilted and simple way of saying it. Rey-chan (shadowofchaos) can probably polish it up a bit/suggest something way better. :P:

"Ore wa ... yasashii dakara ..."

It's a very stupidly stilted and simple way of saying it. Rey-chan (shadowofchaos) can probably polish it up a bit/suggest something way better. :P:

Errr... that's making it sound like "I am kind". XD

There needs to be a "ga" detailing where the the "I love you" is directed at.

If you're gonna be explicitly saying "I" in there, I'd personally reorder the "Yasashii dakara".

""Kimi ga yasashii dakara... Dakara, Ore wa [lol emphasis]... kimi/anata/name ga suki/daisuki da."

"Kimi ga yasashii dakara... Dakara, Ore wa [lol emphasis]... kimi/anata/name ga suki/daisuki da."

So I'm assuming this means "I love you because you are kind."

Or is it missing the "I love you" part? If so, would adding "aishiteru" cover the you of "I love you?"

Sorry if I'm making you repeat stuff you already said. I just really want to get things correctly.

Errr... that's making it sound like "I am kind". XD

There needs to be a "ga" detailing where the the "I love you" is directed at.

If you're gonna be explicitly saying "I" in there, I'd personally reorder the "Yasashii dakara".

""Kimi ga yasashii dakara... Dakara, Ore wa [lol emphasis]... kimi/anata/name ga suki/daisuki da."

Yeah, that works. :P:

("ore" is also used a lot in samurai shows, where looking manly is important; one of my Japanese teachers compared them to old Western movies)

Or is it missing the "I love you" part? If so, would adding "aishiteru" cover the you of "I love you?"

Sorry if I'm making you repeat stuff you already said. I just really want to get things correctly.

Yeah, it means "I love you because you are kind". Suki/daisuki already covers love and is not as cheesy as aishiteru

That's correct. He just added in some pauses and such for emphasis.

"You're kind, so...so I...I love you."