spotpass makes you realize FE2 needs New Artwork

Really next to the high quality artwork from the trading card game or other newer sources, the Manual artwork from Fire Emblem Gaiden looks like junk.

It also highly limits the characters that can be used, we get bit characters like Norma and boey over more memorable people like Sonya, Ruka, and Sevr.

Gaiden is also the Fire Emblem gaiden not to have any villains in the Rogues vs Redeemers DLC, unless you count Zeke. Rudolf would've been perfect for that DLC, he's even worked with Camus before.

In short, I hope the playable characters and important NPCS of Gaiden will eventually get new pictures in a Fire Emblem art book.

Heh. It's true. Gaiden's artwork is so bad that is wasn't until Lost Bloodlines 2 that I finally made the connection that the armor knight on the Gaiden boxart is actually Valbo/Valbar.

Although, realistically, I don't see the Gaiden cast getting new artwork unless they announce a Gaiden remake.

Yeah, Gaiden is awkward. This is because most other games have artwork made for TCG, artbook and promotional materials, but all FE2 got were a bunch of instruction manual art. This makes the FE2 set look outdated, being the only set that uses art from the last century.

Edited by nocturnal YL

The artwork from The Complete is a good deal better - still a bit bland, but not hideously deformed looking like some of the Gaiden manual art. I guess they either forgot or didn't have the rights to use that somehow. Honestly, even the 8-bit sprites would've been better than what we got.

Thracia 776 was the first FE game that had art I actually liked in the series (not the Treasure art! The original art!), and then 6 was kinda bad again... and now the quality since 7+ is pretty high.

But on topic...

Gaiden looks sort of okay for some people like Celica, but then you have Clair with such a derpy face. I agree the art of Gaiden needs a remastering. So does Genealogy, Binding Blade, and Blazing Sword in my opinion, but not glaringly so. Maybe we'll see a Gaiden remake someday with new art.

Is this also the reason why the character choices for New Mystery is nothing but characters like Norne and Horace?

Pretty much.

From memory, the FE12 artwork only includes: Avatar, Marth, Caeda, Rody, Luke, Sirius, Hardin, Katarina, Malice and Legion.

Oh and Catria later on.

Edited by VincentASM

Not only is Gaiden's art pretty bad, but the hair colours are totally wrong too >___<

Clea has Blue hair in the game and Complete, but bright red hair in the manual and thus spot pass.

Also Valbo, Valbar but his color-scheme has always been all over the place.

Is this also the reason why the character choices for New Mystery is nothing but characters like Norne and Horace?

I think it's also because there weren't any really new characters in that game, so they decided to use the new SD people and people like Malice so that you didn't basically get the same people twice.

I think it's also because there weren't any really new characters in that game, so they decided to use the new SD people and people like Malice so that you didn't basically get the same people twice.

FE10 arguably has the same problem conceptually speaking, with exactly three of the characters on that SpotPass team debuting in the game, but it still does a great job of nailing all the important characters (the beorc ones, anyway) without overlapping the FE9 team at all; the only character there who isn't of major importance is Sigrun, but she's hardly a Norne-tier irrelevant character. Granted, FE10 doesn't have anything close to the same OA coverage issue as FE2 or FE12, but still, you'd think that putting in Luke or Rody would be a much more sensible thing to do than resorting to Norne.

Honestly, in general I'd argue that quite a few of the SpotPass teams are less than optimal in their choices of relevant characters, if not to the same scale as the FE12 team. For example, I still don't understand how Marisa got in the FE8 team over, say, Joshua or Tana, or why Arden is there instead of someone like Claude, Tiltyu or Lex. Then again, that's just me, I'm probably full of shit and I actually don't mind all that much either way.

Pretty much.

From memory, the FE12 artwork only includes: Avatar, Marth, Caeda, Rody, Luke, Sirius, Hardin, Katarina, Malice and Legion.

Oh and Catria later on.

I really hope to see them making new artwork if they are to use card spirits again, because otherwise we won't be seeing anyone new.

The lack of Kleine disappoints me also.

I would think Pelleas could've been a much better choice for Radiant Dawn than Sigrun was. Nolan would've been a better choice than Edward as well, imo. FE8 did need Joshua instead of Marissa I agree, and Moulder could've been cut for Tana. FE12's selection is just silly, and FE2 is pretty bad. For FE12 they could've used Nagi maybe? She might not of been that important to that game, but it's hinted she might be a form of Naga who is a over aching character through the series.

I would've liked Xane somewhere too, though he doesn't have new art. Ellerean and Michalis would have been cool to have in FE12 too, Michalis is at least somewhat relevant, and Ellerean has the whole rival thing with Merric who is in the FE11 pack so that'd be cool.

Oh, hey, compatible conversations. Technically I'm copying this from elsewhere but I don't think I can plagiarize myself so whatever.

For an FE12 team I'd probably have chosen the following if the artwork weren't an issue.

-King Marth - duh

-Frey - Canon sacrifice in FE11 -> Plot-relevancy for a bonus character, yay!

-Nyna - Not actually recruitable in FE11, so push her here and stick Elice there. Or at least Lena.

-Wolf - Leader of the Wolfguard, now 100% more recruitable, letting him avoid the Others team. Plot-relevant antihero, cool guy, infamously broken in FE11.

-Michalis - See Wolf, but with less broken and more being-a-jerk.

-Sheema - Royalty, and responsible for one of the best missions in the game. Also, actually from FE3, yaaaaay!

-Malice - Continues representing BSFE. Not more or less important than anyone else specific to there, but she's the coolest of the bunch without letting the Vergil outbreak to count for anything.

-Katarina - Acts as a stand-in for Kris, and is an all-around awesome character.

-Nagi - Probably the most overall plot-relevant new FE11 character, would act as a Manakete (which there aren't many of), and could create superfun time paradox action. Also, she's Naga.

-Hardin - duh, except give him normal eyes.