Drawings and the like!

pinkbubblegum

N-Not literally, mind you. Or is it literally in this case? Hmm...

So! I like to draw, but I'm not that prolific ;; I wish I could kick myself to make more stuff but I'm snail-paced and sloth-like. I decided to make this thread because I recently finished this Mahnya drawing I was working on!

[spoiler=Mahnya]

tumblr_mjwu8taSu51rqoae1o1_500.jpg

FE13 drawing

That's all I have so far (That's FE related at least). I'll draw more stuff soon hopefullyyy.

Does Mahnya have a bird(or a pegasus)? I can't help but wonder about those feathers. The reflections in her armor also have me wondering. Anyway it's a pretty good drawing.

@ FE13 drawing

Great job with Olivia's hair and posture~

Does Mahnya have a bird(or a pegasus)? I can't help but wonder about those feathers. The reflections in her armor also have me wondering. Anyway it's a pretty good drawing.

Yup! Mahnya's the pegasus knight captain in FE4. Thanks!

help i've fallen in love with your sexy style

> //// <

I have to admit though. It's not really my usual style. It takes me way too long to paint stuff, and I have to constantly refer to Charlie Bowater's awesome tutorial (She's such an amazing digital painter) ;;

• 2 weeks later...

Ohman, I really like how you did Olivia's face and HAIR, especially!

Haha. I really really like drawing hair! My sketchbook has a ton of drawings of them xD

I find drawing flowy lines to be pretty fun I guess.

Why do you guys draw Olivia so well? /tableflip

On other note, it looks nice so far. kinda disney styled princess but still

Ahh! I get what you mean! I kept feeling a Meg vibe from her, especially with her facial structure. Why is Olivia's hazukashii-ness so hard to draw orz

As others have said, your hair looks great. I can't wait to see more progress.

Thanks! ; u ;

Had a bit of free time this morning, so I tried working on it some more. I semi-finalized the lineart and started painting over it. I guess I'll keep it soft-CG. I really don't have the time to paint it fully... I wish I did though!

http://puu.sh/2wILH

The color palette is really nice, as is application. I do have a couple things to point out though, you might want to keep the light source a bit more in mind because it seems a tad inconsistent, the ponytail is backlit sorta whereas the rest of the light seems to be coming from the top ? I'm not entirely sure, I suppose you could just maintain that there are multiple light sources :D

Another thing, why did you switch their expressions around from the sketch? Olivia has dark circles around her eyes and isn't really focusing or looking at anything, and Lucina is just like "yeaaah man do that ponytail life is good i'm hungry" so it makes me think they look kind of high? x: I think the expressions made a bit more sense in the sketch, idk

Man it looks great already.

I really like the soft color you choose.

Aw jeez, thanks Amelia! > u <

The color palette is really nice, as is application. I do have a couple things to point out though, you might want to keep the light source a bit more in mind because it seems a tad inconsistent, the ponytail is backlit sorta whereas the rest of the light seems to be coming from the top ? I'm not entirely sure, I suppose you could just maintain that there are multiple light sources :D

Thanks! Shoot, yeah. I'm pretty carefree with coloring ;; I never really pick a lightsource direction (It's pretty... important) and just color it with whatever feels right.

I guess I just grew accustomed to coloring without having to think too much and just stuck to it haha <-- This isn't a good practice kids D<

Another thing, why did you switch their expressions around from the sketch? Olivia has dark circles around her eyes and isn't really focusing or looking at anything, and Lucina is just like "yeaaah man do that ponytail life is good i'm hungry" so it makes me think they look kind of high? x: I think the expressions made a bit more sense in the sketch, idk

Oh sorry! I'm pretty flippant with my lineart as well xD;

I tend to change things on the fly when I start coloring, especially when I'm doing painted/ semi-painted stuff (Since I tend to do it all in one layer. Makes changing things easier as opposed to cell-shading where I really iron out the lineart and stick to it since it matters more in that case) I think there was something about her face that bothered me when I colored it, but I can't really remember what it was...

Yeah, Lucina's face looks pretty tripped out at the moment! I'll most likely fix it when I get to coloring her xD

Worked on it a bit more when I woke up! http://puu.sh/2xdRw

I resized the workspace to 75% because I wanted to show a preview, but then I ended up completely forgetting about the resize and continued painting (Plus I saved it after haha... ha...)

It's not so bad I guess. At least I didn't set it to like, 25% or something before saving. I'd just feel a lot more comfortable if my workspace was a bit bigger than my final planned render size.

Edited by pinkbubblegum

I am posting in here mainly so I can get that little icon that indicates this is a topic I have posted in, which will in turn mean that I will subconsciously pay more attention to it in the recently posted topics list and click on it more often. I wish I had a lot of good criticism to offer, but I am more of a consumer of art than a producer.

I will say that I love seeing WIPs, and how things develop over time, so so far with this Olivia business, you are already tilting on winning me over hardcore.

That is all for now. I will perhaps come back in the future with something more productive to say.

I will say that I love seeing WIPs, and how things develop over time

Oh yay! Glad to know you like them. I was wondering if I should relent on posting so much WIP but it's nice to know you enjoy seeing them :D

Here's today's WIP! http://puu.sh/2xZtT

I wish I could have more progress but I have quite a limited time to work on it daily haha.

• 4 months later...

Huah! I'm resuscitating this thread after its long period of inactivity xD

Could I ask for suggestions for something to draw? I haven't made anything proper in a while but whenever I try to draw something, I usually just scrap it :c
I think I'd feel a whole lot more motivated if I was making something for someone so... Feel free to suggest whatever you guys want! Be it fanart or an OC or whatever comes to mind haha.

Edit:

Actually... I've also been trying to push myself to finish that Olivia-Lucina picture from a while back but whenever I try to work on it, I can't help but get really bothered by Olivia's head. Which ends up in me spending time trying to fix it, only to discard my changes in the end because it doesn't look right D:

http://puu.sh/48mDU.jpg

I'd appreciate insight on what's wrong with it (Personally, I'm mainly bothered by how her head connects to her neck-- Or is it more of how her face is angled? But I'm not sure how to fix it;; )

Edited by pinkbubblegum

Yay, art thread revival! Don't stress too much about unfinished personal work; a lot of work just won't be completed, save for those times you go back to your old stuff and decide to do an awesome redraw. Your style is very great and I love your linework. :)

For Olivia: The ponytail suggests she should be in near profile view, the back of her head (between headband and ponytail) suggests that her head is tilted down/we're looking down at her, the headband is in profile view, her chin is in profile and also jutting out, and her face is in 3/4 view and ~maybe~ we're looking down at her. However, the proportions on the rest of the picture suggest we're looking at her straight on--I'd say our eye level is around her nose--so it shouldn't look like we're looking down at her/seeing the top of her head unless if she's tilting her head, which isn't the case judging by her chin/neck area.

I'm going to assume you're drawing her in 3/4 profile, and that our eyes are level with hers. In which case:

-Curve the headband more around the top. The way it curves around her head now suggests that its central line(?) should be right at the top, where the outline is, but in reality it should be somewhere between that part in her bangs and the top edge of her head.

-Push in the top of her hair a little, especially towards the back. You can move the entire back of her head down a little, if you want.

-Either spread out the far side of her ponytail or make the whole thing thinner. One side of her ponytail is touching the edge of her shoulders, the other is near her spine. Thus, right now it looks asymmetrical.

-Push the neck forwards a little. Give the space between the end of her neck and her chin, it looks like she's jutting out her chin in an uncomfortable manner. (Lucina kind of looks like this too, but her pose makes more sense in this context). This goes back to that thing where the neck and bottom of the chin look like they're in profile, but the face isn't.

-Push back the far sidetail, so it lines up with where her unseen ear should be.

-She's missing muscles that attach her shoulders to her neck, or at least the trapezius (quickly googled this one, correct me if I'm wrong). The connection between neck and shoulders isn't characterized by a straight right angle. There should be more of a bump there.

-It looks like she's raising her shoulders. Is she? Personally I wouldn't be posing like that when doing someone's hair, but Olivia does have a hunched-over look in her sprite.

Okay, that was kind of long-winded. If you'd like clarification I could do a visual post.

Hope to see more awesome art from you! Is your favorite FE really Genealogy? I might have a suggestion.

Wow, thanks for taking the time to write that out! It's really helpful!

I actually have a second version of this file, where I tried a more dramatic fix by erasing a big chunk of the back of her head, because as you said, there was a huge mismatch in angles there xD
I got really intimidated after seeing how much I had to redo so I never really continued that fix and tried instead to just tweak little things to make it look more natural. But in the end, if it doesn't look right, it doesn't look right. I'll try these out. Thanks again!

And yeah. Genealogy's my favorite. Feel free to suggest away xD

Edit:

Here's what I got so far! http://puu.sh/493C6

Edited by pinkbubblegum

Hey, no problem.

The edits look great! She looks more cohesive now. I see you also reshaped her nose and varied up the lengths of the hairs in her ponytail--nice touch!

Actually, I'm wondering if you'd be interested in doing a casual art trade, since I kind of have the same problem as you with motivation and finishing stuff. Though, if suggestions are more your thing, then how about the lovely deceased man in my member badge? Whether or not you want to take up that offer is up to you, of course. :3