What were Atlus and IS thinking?

120 members have voted

1. 1. What possesed Atlus And IS to make this crazy crossover?

• Gods
    • Demons
    • Drugs
    • Alcohol
    • Alan Moore
    • Tetsuya Nomura
    • Archie meets The Punisher
    • Fanfic writers
    • Money
    • Something Else

So... What you think they were smoking when they came up with this insane crossover?

My guess is the exact same thing the ancieant Aztecs were smoking when they came up with spiders that had rattlesnakes for manhoods(and they were still considered female)

Iwata: "We have our own major RPG series, and you have your own major RPG series, and since we're putting Cu Chulainn in Smash Bros. anyways, WHY NOT make this crossover?"

Atlus President: "We're very honored, sir! We've always wanted to do an Mother/SMT crossover!"

Iwata: "What, no, I meant Fire Emblem and SMT. What is this Mother you speak of?"

Edited by Refa

Iwata: "We have our own major RPG series, and you have your own major RPG series, and since we're putting Cu Chulainn in Smash Bros. anyways, WHY NOT make this crossover?"

Atlus President: "We're very honored, sir! We've always wanted to do an Mother/SMT crossover!"

Iwata: "What, no, I meant Fire Emblem and SMT. What is this Mother you speak of?"

I applaud you good sir. That was amazing

That actually made me lol, but I wonder what 'Mother' is too....

But yeah, probably for the money considering it's going to be on the Wii U.... kinda sad 'cuz I started moving onto PS systems...

What? Money? Pfffft, you guys kill me. No, obviously Atlus and IS HQs have been taken over by demons. This game is the only way they can ask their fans for help. They're probably hoping us fans will get the hint and become Demon Summoning Lords to liberate them.

And I'm just glad I know somebody with a WiiU; as much as I adore these franchises, I don't love them enough to buy a new console for one game. :(

Edited by eefara

Nintendo is trying to get niche nerd credit by supporting a somewhat unpopular series. This is the exact same thinking that got us Bayonetta 2.

That actually made me lol, but I wonder what 'Mother' is too....

It's the Japanese name for the EarthBound series (where Ness and Lucas and Mario came from...well Ness and Lucas anyways).

I got a bit too angry at and accidentally hit all of the people working for the company with a hammer a wee too hard. Sorry guys won't happen again. Well maybe one more time.

Edited by Quick

Oh my God, Archie meets the Punisher was actually a thing?!

It is as real as you and me.

Frank Miller on a highball of LSD and cfack

Is he not naturally insane enough to come up with something like this crossover without any of these things, though?

Also, Why I did not thought on that before?

I got a bit too angry at and accidentally hit all of the people working for the company with a hammer a wee too hard. Sorry guys won't happen again. Well maybe one more time.

Hit them again! We want more of these things.

Edited by the SMT fan

I think this is a freakish experiment in fanbase cross-breeding.

Regardless, I'm dying to know how relationships will work in this game.

No matter what, I'll buy it if Lucina makes an appearance.

• 2 weeks later...

They thought that two fantasy games that have plenty of mythological/historical references and have games that are similar to one another basically speaking (SMT's Majin Tensei and Devil Survivor) would be a great idea?

FE has so many mythological/historical references

Check the mythology section of this site.

SMT has a lot more references in mythology/religions

and even if the games take in places like a dystopic future or modern Japan they still use swords/axes/etc. as well as guns.

and... SMT is among the top 10 RPG franchises in Japan?

So why not?

I think it's along the lines of trying to bring two niche audiences together. Despite the success of both games in the west and east, it's somewhat obvious that both series are still considered to be niche series. They could just be trying to expand their niche to pull in more people to both games.

Or drugs could have had something to do with it. Let's go with that.

But in all honesty, I would pay good money for a SMT/Earthbound (or Mother, as it's accurately called) crossover. Hell, I'd blow up a country if it would make that happen. But here's to dreams staying as dreams, I suppose. *shotguns an entire case of beer*

Same thing as Midway and Warner Brothers in that one game that I won't mention. A quick cash-in and fanbase hybridization.

Seeing as IS and Atlus take time in making their games I don't see this as a "quick" cash-in maybe if it was Mario, Zelda or something I'd believe the quick cash in part.

Also MK vs DC wasn't that bad fyi. It was decent and did what it was suppose to, what more do you want out of a crossover?

Seeing as IS and Atlus take time in making their games I don't see this as a "quick" cash-in maybe if it was Mario, Zelda or something I'd believe the quick cash in part.

Also MK vs DC wasn't that bad fyi. It was decent and did what it was suppose to, what more do you want out of a crossover?

I suppose. The combination isn't that odd.

As for what I wanted out of it, perhaps more "iconic" characters out of the MK series and a more stable multiplayer. And better finishing moves. Now, now, before I hear "T rating!", some of the finishers were pitiful even within the boundary. Doesn't make it a "1/10" game like some fans try to make it out to be, though. I was quite impressed how good of a crossover story it was.

Edited by WyvernSurfer