How do you reject something you can't afford?

Junkhead

Hey there.

Basically, I find it kind of troubling and can't help but feel like I'm rejecting something when I can't afford it or find it too expensive.

So, what do you say? "Um, ok thanks", "Sorry, I don't have enough money"? What?

Like, just now, I was about to order some empanadas but found it too expensive (last time it was like $10 less IIRC, which was a little over a month ago) and I made a cop-out by making it seem the line was cutting off because I couldn't get myself to reject it with words. :x

Edited by Walpurgisnacht

Empanadas? A fellow Filipino huh?

I've never really had that problem since the stores I always go to have the prices listed, but if I were to find out something is too expensive for me at the moment I'm making the purchase, I'd say something like "I'm sorry, but this is too expensive for me," and give it back to the person I'm paying. It seems like the nicest possible way to do it.

I've never really had that problem since the stores I always go to have the prices listed, but if I were to find out something is too expensive for me at the moment I'm making the purchase, I'd say something like "I'm sorry, but this is too expensive for me," and give it back to the person I'm paying. It seems like the nicest possible way to do it.

No, I'm actually from Argentina. :|

And for now, that seems the best way possible, thank you.

And no, Golden Vanguard, I reject it because I find it too expensive in most cases. For example:

Last week I wanted to buy a Speed at the kiosk, but it happened to be $12. I found at a market for $7 that was right across the street of the kiosk. : /

I'd probably say something like, "um... no thank you, sorry"... mostly because I'm like an avoidant kinda person who thinks most people can't handle the truth. By that, I mean like it might offend them and I don't wanna do that, even to strangers like the salespeople. Or I guess you can just say it's too expensive, but I dunno, makes me feel kinda cheap too. Though I guess that depends on the store and merchandise.

Personally, I'm one to check prices before I consider making a purchase, and if the price isn't posted clearly I'll ask. However when I do get in situations like this, I find it's best to politely decline, even if you do feel a little guilty. I'm not sure what an empenada is (sounds like some sort of food, but don't laugh at me if it's something dirty or funny), but if I was in that situation I would just say something like "thanks, but that's a little too expensive." Anyone who deals with customers be it on the phone or otherwise is used to things like this, and will be understanding of the situation- or if they get aggressive about it, they won't be keeping their job much longer. In the best case scenario, the manager may be informed of people rejecting something due to prices being too high, and will consider lowering them in the future- if you think something seems expensive, you're probably not the only one.

Frosty and I are filipinos, Souls a Morrocan/American whatchamacallit.

And Soul, have you not heard of just telling yourself "no".

you don't have to explain yourself, because you don't OWE them anything yet. you're quite welcome to not buy shit from anyone, because it's your hard-earned money and as such it's up to you whether something is worth an hour of your life or not.

you do know that empanadas originated in the Iberian Peninsula and are popular in all of the Iberian Peninsula, Latin America, and former territories of Spain and Portugal? And that it's because the Philippines were a Spanish colony once that they're even known there?

I work in retail and the line that seems to irk me the most is "I'll think about it." If you want to reject it, do it as upfront as you can. Everyone here already gave you suggestions on what to say but also avoid saying lines that brings the seller's hopes up because in the end, it just disappoints them since you simply didn't tell them no in the first place.

/end semi-rant on silly customers

No, I'm actually from Argentina. :|

Frosty and I are filipinos, Souls a Morrocan/American whatchamacallit.

Cool. It's always interesting to know what ethnicity SF members belong to. I assume everyone online is white unless notified otherwise for whatever reason.

I'm not sure what an empenada is (sounds like some sort of food, but don't laugh at me if it's something dirty or funny)

An empanada is a food item that's basically a sweet pastry with things ranging from beef and peas or ham and honey inside:

[spoiler=Empanada]Empanads-Mendocinas.jpg

you do know that empanadas originated in the Iberian Peninsula and are popular in all of the Iberian Peninsula, Latin America, and former territories of Spain and Portugal? And that it's because the Philippines were a Spanish colony once that they're even known there?

...the only thing I knew about from your post is the Philippines being formed by the Spanish. I didn't know empanadas were that popular or where they originated from though.

Cool. It's always interesting to know what ethnicity SF members belong to. I assume everyone online is white unless notified otherwise for whatever reason.

An empanada is a food item that's basically a sweet pastry with things ranging from beef and peas or ham and honey inside:

...the only thing I knew about from your post is the Philippines being formed by the Spanish. I didn't know empanadas were that popular or where they originated from though.

The empanadas I've seen in the phillipines so far have this gag inducing keso filling with mayo.

Man what would I give for a calzone and caeser salad.

Filipino culture has been largely influenced by Spanish culture, although more directly from Spanish-colonized Mexico since Mexico and the Philippines were considered the same territory, namely New Spain.

You would be surprised at how similar the cultures between Mexico and the Philippines are. The Philippines is like Mexico's Asian half-brother. It was... odd when I first came into contact with Filipino culture, since i'm Mexican-descent myself and I kept thinking dang, this is somewhat familiar.

My high school physics teacher was Filipino, and since I was always involved in some sort of extracurricular activity with her, I spent a great deal of time with her. Me and my classmates would always ask about her life in the Philippines and what it was like, so she totally went all out to introduce us to her culture. it was weird to realize that halfway across the world, there was this island full of Asians that are kind of like Mexicans.

Many of the words in Filipino are actually derived from Spanish (in particular Mexican Spanish, not Castilian), as well as a large amount of names and surnames. Your holidays and such are celebrated in much the same manner as Mexico, and both are majorly Roman Catholic. Even your food (as is evidenced by your realization that empanadas are actually popular throughout Spain and Latin America) is largely influenced by Mexican cuisine. (Relating to my story about my Filipino teacher, when it came to food, i was surprised at how similar Filipino food is to Mexican, to the point that I felt that I was eating a home-cooked meal made by my grandmother).

however, compared to the rest of the Spanish colonies, it seems the Philippines managed to avoid most of the assimilation that destroyed Latin America's native cultures, so it's not like the Philippines are a carbon-copy of Mexico or any other Spanish colony. It just made the Philippines have this really interesting Asian twist to some cultural aspects of Mexico. it's pretty cool.

You should really see the stuff the Philippines has.

I mean it's more like mexico, china, and america stuck in a blender.

Need I mention the wonder that is a Halo-Halo

Edited by Inspector Clouseau

You should really see the stuff the Philippines has.

I mean it's more like mexico, china, and america stuck in a blender.

Need I mention the wonder that is a Halo-Halo

i really do want to visit the Philippines. perhaps it's just the fact that I talked too much with my teacher about it, but it sounds like a really awesome place to experience. I've always been really interested in different cultures and how they influence and interact with each other, so a place like the Philippines is right down my alley.

perhaps, once i graduate and have a well-paying job, i'll possibly visit the place. :D

• 4 weeks later...

Personally, I'm one to check prices before I consider making a purchase, and if the price isn't posted clearly I'll ask. However when I do get in situations like this, I find it's best to politely decline, even if you do feel a little guilty.

Agreed. I'd say something like "That's not quite what I'm looking for, but thank you".

I just state that I've changed my mind. Sometimes I'll even mention that it was because I did not know of the price. When it comes down to it, you're the customer and they're trying to sell you something, so you are rejecting an offer, but really the person will probably not be offended if you decide that a product is not for you. Most of the time, an employee will be earning their wages anyways.

Most people feel rude and awkward walking away without mutually ending the conversation. The problem is pushy or commissioned salespeople will exploit this by refusing to cooperate in closing communication without a sale. If a salesperson is trying to make out that they're making a special deal for you (just because I like you, I'll take 50% off, no one else gets this kind of deal! or the sale ends soon, you won't get another opportunity to get it at this kind of price), or they demonstrate a product on you (cosmetics stands are vicious about this), or they speak as if you already own the product they're selling (let's figure out the perfect travel case for your new camera) when you try to refuse the sale, then you should be very, very careful. These are among an array of techniques designed to make you feel like you owe it to the salesperson to buy the product / make you feel guilty about walking away without buying anything. And honestly, these work on a lot of people. It doesn't matter what your excuse is, if you don't want to buy anything you need to: 1. turn around, 2. walk away, 3. don't stop walking away. If you hang around you're only opening yourself up to more attempts to get your wallet pried open because you've demonstrated to the salesperson that you're too mannerly a person to simply walk away.

I think a lot of people don't realize just how open to this kind of exploitation they make themselves. I had an in-between non-commission job in retail for a while and I went through a lot of effort to be like the kind of helpful, pressure free sales associate I'd want to talk to if I were the kind of person who went to sales associates for help (I'm not). But I wouldn't have kept my job if I didn't at least mention the expensive accessories customers could get with the kinds of products they were looking into, and it amazed me how difficult some people make it not to sell them stupid things they don't need. When you're talking with a salesperson, they have the advantage because you're on their territory and they likely have plenty experience enough to judge very quickly what their chances are of getting you to buy something. And the longer they keep you the better their chances. It's an obvious lame excuse, but your best bet is to just say "Thanks, I'll think about" (or whatever excuse you want to give) and (the step most people neglect to do) WALK AWAY.

Edited by Balcerwist

The only way I can handle these situations is exploding into a rage, demanding to see the manager then berating him for 20 minutes on the ridiculous price of the item and the store's contribution to Amnerican greed.

No wait, that's what my mother does. God, never realized it but she's kind of a bitch.