FEIV (v0.a released)

BoxMulder

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is this SquareRootOfPi, even though the topic creator is BoxMulder?

Cuz he's finally revealed his secret identity.

Also, I'm glad that we've got another FE4 April Fools' prank to add to the list.

Edited by Arch

Alright.

Like. My memory is terrible. Have these been here the whole time, or have these been posted for a while? My memory is starting to warp. (I don't remember that Ayra mug but IDK man) I DO recognize Cuan's hair, however.

Feel free to yell at me if I'm just remembering wrong

Edited by L95

A keen eye will reveal that they were updated in on the 27 March this year, so no, they have most certainly not been there the entire time.

Yeah speaking of which, I actually decided to rebrowse the entire FoD topic because I was so damn convinced it couldn't have been Pi who made FEIV, it just HAD to be Ryrumeli. And well, after a really long examination and skype discussion, I'm definitely wrong, this ain't Ryru's work. However I find it hard to believe that Pi alone did all of this, so I still think Ryru had at least something to do with development, even if it was just a helpful word here and there.

For one thing, in FoD, the skills screen looked way better than the one in FEIV does. Much more polished, I'd say.

Screen4.png7TUEe.png

Not to mention FoD had tons of things this hack doesn't have, while this hack has some things FoD probably didn't.

FoD:

-Hacked in FE8

-Voice Actor Dialogue

-Halfbody Support

-Custom Text System

-Classy edits all over the place (Everything looks polished)

FEIV:

-Hacked in FE7

-Advance wars stuff (Not nominal, fairly trivial, but it's a thing)

-STR/MAG split, actually looks good too.

-Holy blood stuff

-Map HP bars

They have quite a lot of differences, and since I can't imagine Ryru actually making WORSE skill windows than he already made, I will accept that he didn't make this. I still think he had something to do with it's development though.

Yeah speaking of which, I actually decided to rebrowse the entire FoD topic because I was so damn convinced it couldn't have been Pi who made FEIV, it just HAD to be Ryrumeli. And well, after a really long examination and skype discussion, I'm definitely wrong, this ain't Ryru's work. However I find it hard to believe that Pi alone did all of this, so I still think Ryru had at least something to do with development, even if it was just a helpful word here and there.

None of us hackers really work in a vacuum. (Or we shouldn't anyway). Everyone bounces ideas off everyone.

Regardless, Pi is an exceptionally talented (and far more motivated than I!) hacker. I don't see why he couldn't have done all of the heavy lifting himself.

Or are you him?!

Hmmmmmmmmm!

You caught me, I'm actually a SqRtOfPi alt.

The plot thickens.

Edited by Arch

Regardless, Pi is an exceptionally talented (and far more motivated than I!) hacker. I don't see why he couldn't have done all of the heavy lifting himself.

I still say I've never seen anything from him, ever. I haven't even seen so much as a passing screenshot or a remark of "Wow, Pi's really talented" from years back or pretty much anything to hint he was this good. Seems like it came outta left field.

I do know he's a damn good mug maker in the FE community though.

For one thing, in FoD, the skills screen looked way better than the one in FEIV does. Much more polished, I'd say.

Screen4.png7TUEe.png

Not to mention FoD had tons of things this hack doesn't have, while this hack has some things FoD probably didn't.

FoD:

-Hacked in FE8

-Voice Actor Dialogue

-Halfbody Support

-Custom Text System

-Classy edits all over the place (Everything looks polished)

FEIV:

-Hacked in FE7

-Advance wars stuff (Not nominal, fairly trivial, but it's a thing)

-STR/MAG split, actually looks good too.

-Holy blood stuff

-Map HP bars

They have quite a lot of differences, and since I can't imagine Ryru actually making WORSE skill windows than he already made, I will accept that he didn't make this. I still think he had something to do with it's development though.

You act like no one has ever applied themselves to something and increased their skill level through independent labor, which is in fact, the opposite of what has occured in many instances of this community, particularly the early one.

Judging by the quality of his other work alone, Pi does not lack for the requisite determination and grit necessary to enhance himself.

Edited by Siuloir

Klok, there is such a concept as "working in secret". Just because someone hasn't shown anything doesn't mean that they don't know how to do something, especially at a very high level.

Also, Pi, while I know that you're an exceptional spriter far beyond my level, if you'd like a donation of Judgral weapon/item icons to replace the default FE7 ones, I've slowly been working on such a set based off of the TCG card art. It's probably not going to be complete for a while, but having a reason to work on it faster might get me motivated to get back to work on it more often.

Edited by Lord Glenn

Guys, if you want to discuss this, do it elsewhere. I am sure Pi doesn't want all of this clogging up his topic.

It's just weird that in all the skype conversations I've read and seen, I've never heard anybody even mention it. Being truly independent is very rare, and even Yeti who's making the most comprehensive engine in the community and also has the nuance of being the best battle spriter and coder in the community had people talking about his work before he actually released anything. Then again, I guess he's more actually involved in the community than Pi so...

Yeah I'm probably reading too far into this. I'll just shut up and enjoy the updates lol

edit: lol the ninja's struck

Edited by Klok

I've actually been chatting with Pi for a good while about this project. He asked me not to mention anything about it and just play along. It's been a good time reading reactions.

Pi's definitely got the stuff. He has a lot of epic plans for this hack. It's real cool.

Alright, now that April madness is over, let's have a proper update on the project. First let's go over some comments.

PSA of teh day, pls keep backups, pls don't end like Fellowship of Demons did (I still cry at night about it)

voA5N9h.png

Pro backup skills in action?

Also, Pi, while I know that you're an exceptional spriter far beyond my level, if you'd like a donation of Judgral weapon/item icons to replace the default FE7 ones, I've slowly been working on such a set based off of the TCG card art. It's probably not going to be complete for a while, but having a reason to work on it faster might get me motivated to get back to work on it more often.

Requests are a gray area, as a personal policy I will take a stab at anything that I can handle myself (that's everything pretty much!) and unless I'm hitting some serious deadline issues I won't resort to using other people's work (even then I'd consider just leaving the content out or in a draft form), which is why Lex's animation right now is a Great Knight and Arden doesn't have any animations for his sword attacks. Especially with the holy weapons, I have most of them done (and I like Mystletainn's quirky color scheme too much to replace it), I think Gungnir and the tomes are unfinished.

I think a good way of looking at the policy is if you want to donate content, you can post whatever is made in the thread and it'll be archived for consideration, but don't expect any decision to be made until crunch times are hit. Also, if it turns out that I *really* like someone's suggestion I'll likely edit it in order to bring some consistency. There are a few things I'm planning that will be more efficient to have people randomly throwing suggestions but that's mum until we get to a point where it's worth adding it in.

I have a question about the chapter formatting, if you haven't answered already. I noticed the the prologue map is very small.

In FE4, each chapter had like 4 things happen. Are you going to split those things into separate chapters, GBA-style?

Well the map in the patch (image courtesy of Paul.Power's Advance Wars LP) isn't the actual Prologue map, which is about 1.5x bigger? The plan for the chapters is basically to split it by castle-per-castle basis, although I did crunch some numbers and that would make the game >40 chapters long counting both generations and no gaidens, which doesn't sound necessarily fun. Fluff will also be cut as necessary (e.g. Gerrard joins DiMaggio instead of being a separate castle boss) and the Evans capturing will be mentioned in a world map event or something. Ultimately it doesn't affect the main story too much.

Now let's cover new actual content. So the first thing, which everyone has probably noticed by now, is the skill system! If you've played the patch, you've been able to experience 4 skills, some of which are "original", and some of which are based off skills from the franchise. What you may not have noticed is that the skills in the patch are not the same as the ones in the video; if you crunch some numbers you'll find out that the player units are doing things they shouldn't be able to do. I'm going to keep this under wraps for now.

Instead, the skills I've thrown in are things I'm not planning on including in the final product, so if you find any of them interesting you can post about it (although you should give some justification for keeping it instead of going "keep skill X") I'd personally say the skills that they replace are better but we'll find out once a proper release is made!

You've also seen the skill sheet at this point, and checked that r-buttoning works and all that jazz, but due to the fact that everyone has at most one skill, no one has actually seen what the sheet looks like when you have multiple skills (You should recognize a few of the icons in there):

J42WAcI.png

Sigurd demonstrates a vast array of skills he will never, ever have access to.

This is why the name is stored in the R-button data. If I keep the holy blood chart in bottom, this will be the final format, but I don't like how it looks so it'll probably be on a separate sheet that you call with the L-button or something similar; If that happens the skill sheet will be changed again.

Incidentally, skill inheritance is properly working despite the fact I really shouldn't be doing anything inheritance related yet:

IogF6jD.pngVZDHO06.png

Vaida is now Ayra's daughter and has the Iron Blade skill, whatever that does.

You've also noticed the HP bars in the video. For demonstration purposes, the full bar shows up even at full health, but the plan is to have it disappear when the unit is at full health (because you don't get anything useful out of it?) Since the basic codework is done all that's left is cleaning it up and possibly improving the information it gives to the player.

The last thing worth mentioning is that the Valkyrie Staff works; it's Fortify + Dance at 3(?) uses and probably 10k/use a pop to repair. I don't have anything presentable yet because I need to fix some basic things with the staff itself and get Claude's portrait in the ROM so that the Phantom of Edda stops showing up.