FEIV (v0.a released)

BoxMulder

I like how it looks like the dinosaur-looking thing is touching Frankenstein's ear in that one pic

also just throwing out the fact that no one is obligated to respond to one's remarks, criticisms, questions, etc. and treating people like they are is lame

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Minor blood in FE4, IIRC, was just there so you could combine two people's minor blood to make it major blood. Having minor blood was the same thing as having no minor blood, until you got around to formulating your generational strategy.

I could be wrong about that though. In either case, Major blood is supposed to be the good stuff, and making it boost growth rates or something would be pretty neat.

Both Minor and Major blood already give growth bonuses in FE4.

Edited by Siuloir

Minor blood in FE4, IIRC, was just there so you could combine two people's minor blood to make it major blood. Having minor blood was the same thing as having no minor blood, until you got around to formulating your generational strategy.

I could be wrong about that though. In either case, Major blood is supposed to be the good stuff, and making it boost growth rates or something would be pretty neat.

Hmm no, not really. In vanilla FE4, Minor blood gives you growth boosts and +1 weapon rank. Major blood gives you double the growth boosts, a perfect weapon rank AND allows you to wield the associated legendary weapon. The only occurence where you can do a minor+minor => Major yourself is with Aira and Holyn, and that doesn't allow the kids to use the Balmung.

In other words, Major is more than twice as good as minor, which I don't really have a problem with, even if it basically obsoletes a lot of minor-blood pairings. It just seems kinda odd to me to make Major more powerful than it already is.

Edited by Miacis

Ah, I've only played FE4 all the way through one time so I'm not familiar with it. I thought Booton mentioned minor combining to make major once, but I must have misunderstood. I'm no expert on FE4 by any means.

Looking back through the thread, I also just noticed an earlier post of mine, which seems to have slipped unnoticed. And I'm actually pretty curious about it. I could understand if you can't yet reveal the "what" you have in mind to make major bloods better, but I'm more interested in the "why".

I mean, wouldn't minor bloods be the ones who might need a bit of a boost?

As you pointed out, the only bonuses holy blood give in the original game is ranks, growths and access to holy weapons. Having holy blood boost growths is already redundant because holy blood is fixed to the parent, so I'm just going to change the system so the parent determines the growths since the existing formula is not well balanced. Weapon ranks may end up being a moot point if I manage to followup an idea I have, and if not I can again have the ranks tied to the parents instead of the blood.

So, at this point I might as well think up something new for how holy blood works, and the direction I want to go is an easy decision: give the player the choice between diversifying with minor blood to get access to non-holy weapon advantages, or specialize in major blood and sacrifice those options for a different set of options. So, expect to see minor blood give some new bonuses!

So, at this point I might as well think up something new for how holy blood works, and the direction I want to go is an easy decision: give the player the choice between diversifying with minor blood to get access to non-holy weapon advantages, or specialize in major blood and sacrifice those options for a different set of options. So, expect to see minor blood give some new bonuses!

I haven't been following the discussion of minor/major bloodlines in this thread, but if you are thinking of ways to meaningfully differentiate the two, or at least substantiating each with their own merits, you might think about making some event conditions contingent on whether there's any holy blood available or not.

I mean for example, in FE4 there is the Blaagi Tower that Deu can get the Wind Sword from. An event like this could be modified so that a descendent of Blaagi, of major or minor influence, might be granted the Wind Sword, and other bloods would be locked out of the tower event. This makes seeding a second generation with different bloodlines a little more versatile/eventful than just modifying stats.

The only occurence where you can do a minor+minor => Major yourself is with Aira and Holyn, and that doesn't allow the kids to use the Balmung.

Only because you can't trade in game and can't sell Holy Weapons. MajorOdo!Twins are perfectly capable of wielding the weapon if you can get it on them (via an in-game glitch, no hacking/modding required). I'd imagine with the GBA system of existent trade, they should be able to use it as well.

As you pointed out, the only bonuses holy blood give in the original game is ranks, growths and access to holy weapons. Having holy blood boost growths is already redundant because holy blood is fixed to the parent, so I'm just going to change the system so the parent determines the growths since the existing formula is not well balanced. Weapon ranks may end up being a moot point if I manage to followup an idea I have, and if not I can again have the ranks tied to the parents instead of the blood.

Seems fairly reasonnable, and I really like the bolded part. Can't wait to see more now.

Thanks for the answer! :):

Considering the guy who posted the complaint has been on the forum for barely a week and has a name reminiscent of a google url, I wouldn't take it too seriously. Most people with a fraction of brainpower know that Pi is somewhere between 7th and 1st best mug designers in the FE fandom currently.

well can you show me some of his sprites, I wanna know what the finished product looks like.I wasn't aware that they were WIP's.

Anyway no offense to Pi.

Edited by syedsaad123456789

well can you show me some of his sprites, I wanna know what the finished product looks like.I wasn't aware that they were WIP's.

Anyway no offense to Pi.

Here are some more (more) complete ones. Sigurd may also almost be done. h3LVvHy.png Edited by L95

Anyway no offense to Pi.

http://errorfunction.tumblr.com his tumblr (there's a link to his YouTube there as well).

• 1 month later...

Some people (I don't remember if any were on this forum) were asking about how arenas will be handled in this hack. Well, here's your answer:

The arena won't work exactly the same as FE4, for example everyone will be using the same pool of opponents instead of each person being able to fight through the entire group. I'll also be tweaking the opponent count as necessary to balance the EXP gain as well. The ranged/non-ranged sets will obviously return, and I'm going to leave using the equipped weapon on the table... for now.

Hopefully there'll be a more substantial update in a few weeks!

Edited by SquareRootOfPi

The arena won't work exactly the same as FE4,

What will happen if you lose, death or 1 hp? Also, I love the idea of buts bartz trying to find gilgamesh after he "dies" in fe5 by looking in arenas (obviously he checked fe6 (advance edition or latter) first.)

Edited by sirmola

Maybe you could have special death quotes for the Arena? :p

No idea what the actual problem is, and if my suggestion even applies, I just like silly suggestions

Hopefully there'll be a more substantial update in a few weeks!

Hnnnnnngggggg

Edited by L95

Okay, time for a progress report! The Verdane storyline finally has playable events finished. This doesn't mean they're done, but it's playable and the balance has been tweaked to a good degree for now. I'd say we have:

Chapter 1-1: 95% complete

Chapter 1-2: 70% complete

Chapter 1-3: 60% complete

Here's some meager screenshots of 1-3 since I don't have any graphics for the characters in that chapters:

aQQg34m.png3MjklYc.png

In the meantime, I'm starting work on the the Agusty saga, which will be between 5-7 chapters, 6 if everything goes as planned. The first chapter, Heirhein vs Nodion, is tweaked a tiny bit:

tb4WjOC.pngnozc7bs.png

6RlW1vv.pngXKfbMFE.png

You'll still be able to pick up an item for protecting Nodion, but don't worry. You won't have to save everyone, just the three named characters. If you've seen the previous mini-update, you'll also know that Holyn will be recruitable in this chapter as well. Or maybe he'll be replaced by someone else?

Finally, now that I've also replaced the Phantom of Edda, I can also reveal what the Valkyrie staff does in this hack: It opens doors*. The video also shows off how 2-1 plays at the start, although Nodion has the advantage in this run because of a certain bishop's meddling. You can also spot some of the new cosmetic content that I've added!

*It does not actually open doors.