FEIV (v0.a released)

BoxMulder

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That Jojo OP was fantastic! Though why would you recommend Stardust Crusaders before Phantom Blood or Battle Tendancy? Did Sigurd and Diadora see those already?

Also what's the story behind the attack animations not piercing the enemies and disapearing? Everything looks pretty nice regardless!

Also what's the story behind the attack animations not piercing the enemies and disapearing?

I'm not sure what you're referring to, and I've reviewed the video a few times so this is concerning. Can you describe in more detail what you mean and provide a timestamp/image?

Yeah, it looks like the layering effect for weapons is missing? Might've accidentally repurposed it into something else without realizing.

74b8db8534.png

Alright, now that I'm more relaxed it's time for a proper update. If you still haven't seen the video, now would be a good time to watch it again. Otherwise, let's get on with the show!

The first (and probably most important) announcement is that at this point in time, I can comfortably say that there will be a proper patch out by 2016! Ideally, the patch will go all the way to the second battle with Shagall, but since there are 4 chapters that still need to be made to catch up to that point it's not necessarily a done deal. The plan is to get as many chapters done up to the end of summer, and then switch to polishing up everything for a release. If you're curious, the remaining chapters that need to be done are:

Shagall 1 (Agusty)

Jacoban

Eltoshan

Shagall 2

Now let's move on to the new content shown off in the video. This year's star is the new Support system! As you've seen in the video, supports can now give experience, stat bonuses, and even rare items. This trend reflects the plan for supports: At C-rank, one or both units will get experience, B-rank will give stat bonuses (and similar bonuses), and A/S-rank supports will be reserved for rare items; this is where the original item conversations will be moved. For example, supporting Jamka and Edain may give him a Brave Bow, and the Brave Sword might be the reward for getting an Ayra/Holyn marriage. All the rewards will be tweaked based on the characters involved to create gameplay decisions; Getting a B-rank support between Ayra and Arden could given Arden more speed and Ayra strength and defense; in contrast a support between Ayra and Holyn could give them smaller bonuses.

Another related change to the support system is moving off the classic GBA mechanics and using the more sensible Path of Radiance system. To be clear: Instead of having characters wait next to each other to gain support points, you simply need to deploy them together for a specific number of chapters. On top of that, since FE4's original gameplay depends heavily on succesfully marrying units, support pairs will also gain support points if they're not deployed; Thus you won't be forced to rotate characters in order to get all the children in the second generation (although you'll still need to deploy the support pair to actually get the rank.)

Next, we have a minor graphics update:

y4zs6ql.pngMhczcZO.png

uHpHNLs.pngqAQ4R5r.png

The game now plays animations when certain skills activate (mainly the ones that change predicted data), so the player is aware of which skills are influencing the damage calculations.

Finally, we have several gameplay additions and changes:

QwxCTys.png

As you can (hopefully) see in the image, there are now some tiny icons next to some units. The goal is to help the player manage enemy units more easily by tracking important information; I'm sure many players have lost units in fights because they forgot exactly which bandit was carrying that killer axe or which myrmidon had that lancereaver, or having to repeatedly check which enemy was carrying that valuable gem. The first icon, the little purse that the pirate has, indicates that the unit will drop an item on defeat. The second icon, the exclamation mark, indicates that the unit is carrying an item of interest. These mainly include dangerous weapons (or weapons that the player would want to steal with the thief sword...?), such as brave weapons, killer weapons, reavers, and poison weapons.

Speaking of item drops, gold piles have been tweaked slightly. If you haven't seen the previous update about them, gold piles are items that some units carry (mainly units under the Freelancer group) that are immediately converted to funds when taken (via drops or steals.) Previously they only dropped 100 gold each, but now a framework was added so the amount of gold depends on the unit; stronger units will carry more gold in general.

saXefpO.png4s5lA8u.png

Finally, a new unit has been added to the roster to fill in several gaps:

FU5XXzT.png

That's right, Lachesis's faithful retainer Eve is now playable. But what does that mean for Eva and Alva and the mini-objective of keeping them alive? Unfortunately, they've been removed from the story (not that they made a large impact) and the original reward is gone. Of course, your reward for keeping Eve alive now is... Eve herself! Eve comes in to fill in the lack of light magic users; details other than that haven't been set in stone yet. Will she remain a hybrid sword user? Will her horse depart for greener pastures? Only time will tell...

oh my god who made that midi of the newest jojo OP

I transcribed it myself.

Though why would you recommend Stardust Crusaders before Phantom Blood or Battle Tendancy? Did Sigurd and Diadora see those already?

It was originally PB/BT, but I decided to keep it topical with the song.

you need some way to communicate who is receiving those stat boosts after the B support

The video's example doesn't demonstrate it, but actual, non-parody conversations will give enough information on what's going on (e.g. "Arden: I feel stronger!") Edited by SquareRootOfPi

Music, graphics, asm, animations, portraits, skills... is there a goddamn thing this wizard can't do?

increase the screen resolution

The bag and shout pole icons are pretty neat

inb4 it's in fexna in like 15 minutes or less

Why would they even be necessary? FEXNA already displays the entire item inventory with a green flash for drops in the unit HP window. This gives the same end result to a player more efficiently (! for a dangerous Brave/Killer and the bag for a drop), without needing to toggle between the map and the stat screens. Edited by Arch

Oh right, true. Well the difference is that you do still have to hover over an enemy to see their items whereas with pi you can always see, but I get yourpoint since you have to hover an enemy to select them for an attack anyway.

Eve is male. They all are, though Pi might be changing his gender here. Are Eva and Alva being written out of the story for good, or will they just stay behind to protect Nodion?

Eve is female now, and her buddies have been excised with prejudice. Now it's just Lachesis and Eve's (and no-name NPCs') siege defense.

I think they're part of the Cross Knights.

*Shrug*

Eve, Alva and Eva are members of the Cross Knights it's implied they are more members but IDK if you meet any. (and Eve is the father of Tristan and Janne (you wouldn't know this unless you finished the game with Tristan dead and Janne unmarried))