FEIV (v0.a released)

BoxMulder

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This hack is intended to be an alternative to the original Fire Emblem 4 for people who don't want to play it for whatever reason, so it's not strictly necessary. However there are a lot of changes both gameplay-wise and storywise so playing the original game as a comparison can enhance (or maybe dehance???) the experience. Think of it as one of those movie remakes that take liberties with the original counterpart, like Total Recall, Robocop, etc. (I'm sure there are a lot of other examples I'm missing.)

Edited by SquareRootOfPi

Is there no way you can have luna activate like in Immortal Sword?

I don't know, being able to only use it with full use weapons seems off to me. I guess you'll get some heavy feedback on that once the demo is released.

... I also don't like the idea of sobstitute parents, but whatever. It will probably work if it's implemented well.

I might change the activation condition to something different, but I won't use FE7x's system. The main reason is that the FE7x method doesn't change how the player plays in a way I find interesting. I do have my own reasons for the current condition, basically there are some ideas I have jotted down for the future that work extremely well with this version of Luna.

And this is news regarding the stream: I've just been informed that the streamer will be occupied a bit more than expected, so the stream will be delayed until 6:30 EST at the earliest. I wouldn't be surprised if it was delayed a bit further. I will still be making a post when the stream does go online, so just keep an eye out around that time!

Edit: Ignore the above, the stream will be able to start at 6:00 EST as originally planned.

Edited by SquareRootOfPi

• 2 weeks later...

I am so confused. Why does everyone think this is a joke?

There was a patch released for April Fools that actually WAS a joke. As far as I know, at the time, this hack was considered all but cancelled.

There was a patch released for April Fools that actually WAS a joke. As far as I know, at the time, this hack was considered all but cancelled.

Ah, I see. Good thing this isn't a joke.

I am so confused. Why does everyone think this is a joke?

The op was essentualy disguised as an april fools joke (complete with old timey accent). In fact the very first comment in the thread is laughing at the joke.

Edited by sirmola

• 2 weeks later...

Just read through the majority of all 20 pages. Wow. I have played the original FE4, but the gameplay was so tiring; the fact of this being broken up into more bite-sized pieces is a giant relief. All, I can say is, keep up the awesome work, Pi, and I hope we get to see more soon! :)

There's less than two weeks (!!!) until the release of the first (real) build of FEIV, so here's a progress report, as well as a run down of the latest features added in. A few of these were in the playtest stream that happened a month ago (if you missed the link before, it's archived here: http://www.hitbox.tv/video/898494/description), and some are new! There'll be very little to talk about after this since it's mainly polish, although there are a few things I'd like to get in for the first build.

Progress-wise, the first 4 chapters have been polished to a presentable state. All the main story dialogue is written up, formatted and evented properly! I've been personally playing through it over the last week to make sure no bugs crop up, and I have some volunteers doing casual playthroughs to double-check everything. A small chunk of music has been added as well, the Prologue/Chapter 1/Chapter 2 themes are in, but there's still a lot of work to do. Unfortunately I don't have the time to change all the songs that appear in the release (this is mainly the incidental music I pick for cutscenes), so you'll either hear some familiar tunes as you play... or some odd songs sourced from other media.

Graphics-wise, all the playable unit have portraits (loosely speaking), so I'm happy with that and all the bosses but one have placeholders as well! Hopefully I'll have time to replace the old halloween graphics from the opening world map scroll (goodbye, Lord Raptor...?) Animations will likely not be in yet for the Axe Knight (currently using the Great Knight animation since there are no Great Knights) and the Knights (who can use all weapons), although I will aim to have Lachesis, Sylvia and the generic Soldier's animations done, but one week is a tight schedule for that (especially with other things to take care of.) Skill icons are about 50/50 complete; a lot have been made but there's still many missing. You'll likely see a few missing ones.

Now, let's get on with the latest features:

wek2eM7.pngifjLKG3.png
First, we have an update for the Knight Sword! Previously, this item had no special effects, and was waiting for something to come along to help old Sigurd out (he's gotten a bit out of shape in this hack...) Well, that something has come! Parry is a skill that lets the unit use their weapon as a secondary HP bar (this concept is based off a similar mechanic from Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup, for the curious.) Put simply, any damage the unit takes is split evenly between themselves and their weapon (unless of course, their weapon is low on uses, in which case they still take the brunt of the attack.) Thankfully the Knight Sword comes with a hefty 50 uses, letting Sigurd take quite a beating before he breaks his new toy.

SabGJE0.png3976M06.png
Next up, we have two new skills shown off in the playtest! Coincidentally, they are related by having the same activation condition. First is one of Lachesis's skills, Royal Veil. Based off a skill from Etrian Odyssey with the same name, it has a similar effect: Whenever the user is at full health, all allies (yes, all of them!) get some healing. Now, we're not talking about ridiculous amounts of double digit healing. It's just the user's max HP divided by 8. So in that screenshot, for example, Lachesis's allies would only recover 3 HP per turn. Still, map wide healing is not to be underestimated! Since Lachesis is also a unit that can both go on the offense, as well as serve as a healer (she has access to staves), you'll need to carefully balance her duties as an attacker and a healer to maximize Royal Veil's effects.

Second is one of Lex's skills which will be replacing Vantage, as Vantage has certain problems. Bravado has the same activation condition has Royal Veil, but a different effect. Sometimes the simple things are the best: Lex just gets a straight +8 damage, enough to kill most units in one hit. Not bad, Lex! Unlike Lachesis, Lex is a purely offense oriented unit, and his ability to dodge attacks isn't the greatest, so you'll probably need to have a healer follow him around to constantly activate the skill. Hopefully this skill makes up the loss of Vantage!

Q2O8yIy.png
Moving on, we have Ointments. Ointments are actually going to be an experimental item that might not reappear in future versions depending on how it works out balance-wise. They act as miniature Renewal items: Having one in the inventory will passively heal the unit each turn (by up to 10 HP), draining uses.

Now, because this healing is unconditional, it needs a little tweak so that players don't get annoyed every time it burns uses when it heals 1 HP. You may have also noticed that they have 30 uses in the screenshot, a little bit high for a healing item. Well, those are related! The item drains uses at a rate of 1 HP per use, so if you heal 10 HP the item loses 10 uses. If you only heal 1 HP, the item loses 1 use. As such, each ointment will give you 30 HP of healing overall. Don't expect it to last too long!

vM3MJIC.pngngOIjHS.png
Finally, this last change is more of a cosmetic item than anything else. Since anima tomes are coming in three flavours, I might as well add in the weapon triangle for them too. It might not make a big impact, but it's nice to have it in.

Anyway, thanks for reading this update! Keep an eye out for the second Friday from now (i.e. next week), for that's the release date!

There's less than two weeks (!!!) until the release of the first (real) build of FEIV, so here's a progress report, as well as a run down of the latest features added in. A few of these were in the playtest stream that happened a month ago (if you missed the link before, it's archived here: http://www.hitbox.tv/video/898494/description), and some are new! There'll be very little to talk about after this since it's mainly polish, although there are a few things I'd like to get in for the first build.

Progress-wise, the first 4 chapters have been polished to a presentable state. All the main story dialogue is written up, formatted and evented properly! I've been personally playing through it over the last week to make sure no bugs crop up, and I have some volunteers doing casual playthroughs to double-check everything. A small chunk of music has been added as well, the Prologue/Chapter 1/Chapter 2 themes are in, but there's still a lot of work to do. Unfortunately I don't have the time to change all the songs that appear in the release (this is mainly the incidental music I pick for cutscenes), so you'll either hear some familiar tunes as you play... or some odd songs sourced from other media.

Graphics-wise, all the playable unit have portraits (loosely speaking), so I'm happy with that and all the bosses but one have placeholders as well! Hopefully I'll have time to replace the old halloween graphics from the opening world map scroll (goodbye, Lord Raptor...?) Animations will likely not be in yet for the Axe Knight (currently using the Great Knight animation since there are no Great Knights) and the Knights (who can use all weapons), although I will aim to have Lachesis, Sylvia and the generic Soldier's animations done, but one week is a tight schedule for that (especially with other things to take care of.) Skill icons are about 50/50 complete; a lot have been made but there's still many missing. You'll likely see a few missing ones.

Now, let's get on with the latest features:wek2eM7.pngifjLKG3.png

First, we have an update for the Knight Sword! Previously, this item had no special effects, and was waiting for something to come along to help old Sigurd out (he's gotten a bit out of shape in this hack...) Well, that something has come! Parry is a skill that lets the unit use their weapon as a secondary HP bar (this concept is based off a similar mechanic from Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup, for the curious.) Put simply, any damage the unit takes is split evenly between themselves and their weapon (unless of course, their weapon is low on uses, in which case they still take the brunt of the attack.) Thankfully the Knight Sword comes with a hefty 50 uses, letting Sigurd take quite a beating before he breaks his new toy.SabGJE0.png3976M06.png

Next up, we have two new skills shown off in the playtest! Coincidentally, they are related by having the same activation condition. First is one of Lachesis's skills, Royal Veil. Based off a skill from Etrian Odyssey with the same name, it has a similar effect: Whenever the user is at full health, all allies (yes, all of them!) get some healing. Now, we're not talking about ridiculous amounts of double digit healing. It's just the user's max HP divided by 8. So in that screenshot, for example, Lachesis's allies would only recover 3 HP per turn. Still, map wide healing is not to be underestimated! Since Lachesis is also a unit that can both go on the offense, as well as serve as a healer (she has access to staves), you'll need to carefully balance her duties as an attacker and a healer to maximize Royal Veil's effects.

Second is one of Lex's skills which will be replacing Vantage, as Vantage has certain problems. Bravado has the same activation condition has Royal Veil, but a different effect. Sometimes the simple things are the best: Lex just gets a straight +8 damage, enough to kill most units in one hit. Not bad, Lex! Unlike Lachesis, Lex is a purely offense oriented unit, and his ability to dodge attacks isn't the greatest, so you'll probably need to have a healer follow him around to constantly activate the skill. Hopefully this skill makes up the loss of Vantage!Q2O8yIy.png

Moving on, we have Ointments. Ointments are actually going to be an experimental item that might not reappear in future versions depending on how it works out balance-wise. They act as miniature Renewal items: Having one in the inventory will passively heal the unit each turn (by up to 10 HP), draining uses.

Now, because this healing is unconditional, it needs a little tweak so that players don't get annoyed every time it burns uses when it heals 1 HP. You may have also noticed that they have 30 uses in the screenshot, a little bit high for a healing item. Well, those are related! The item drains uses at a rate of 1 HP per use, so if you heal 10 HP the item loses 10 uses. If you only heal 1 HP, the item loses 1 use. As such, each ointment will give you 30 HP of healing overall. Don't expect it to last too long!vM3MJIC.pngngOIjHS.png

Finally, this last change is more of a cosmetic item than anything else. Since anima tomes are coming in three flavours, I might as well add in the weapon triangle for them too. It might not make a big impact, but it's nice to have it in.

Anyway, thanks for reading this update! Keep an eye out for the second Friday from now (i.e. next week), for that's the release date!

Aw sweet! This is gonna be awesome! I'm soooooooo pumped!

Now, let's get on with the latest features:

wek2eM7.pngifjLKG3.png

First, we have an update for the Knight Sword! Previously, this item had no special effects, and was waiting for something to come along to help old Sigurd out (he's gotten a bit out of shape in this hack...) Well, that something has come! Parry is a skill that lets the unit use their weapon as a secondary HP bar (this concept is based off a similar mechanic from Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup, for the curious.) Put simply, any damage the unit takes is split evenly between themselves and their weapon (unless of course, their weapon is low on uses, in which case they still take the brunt of the attack.) Thankfully the Knight Sword comes with a hefty 50 uses, letting Sigurd take quite a beating before he breaks his new toy.

SabGJE0.png3976M06.png

Second is one of Lex's skills which will be replacing Vantage, as Vantage has certain problems. Bravado has the same activation condition has Royal Veil, but a different effect. Sometimes the simple things are the best: Lex just gets a straight +8 damage, enough to kill most units in one hit. Not bad, Lex! Unlike Lachesis, Lex is a purely offense oriented unit, and his ability to dodge attacks isn't the greatest, so you'll probably need to have a healer follow him around to constantly activate the skill. Hopefully this skill makes up the loss of Vantage!

Q2O8yIy.png

Now, because this healing is unconditional, it needs a little tweak so that players don't get annoyed every time it burns uses when it heals 1 HP. You may have also noticed that they have 30 uses in the screenshot, a little bit high for a healing item. Well, those are related! The item drains uses at a rate of 1 HP per use, so if you heal 10 HP the item loses 10 uses. If you only heal 1 HP, the item loses 1 use. As such, each ointment will give you 30 HP of healing overall. Don't expect it to last too long!

vM3MJIC.pngngOIjHS.png

great!thank you!

Yay! April 1st release lol

That Ointment seems pretty neat! No more healing than a Vulnerary could grant, but the fact that it's automatic and virtually none of it is really wasted is nice. I'd imagine it's quite a bit more expensive, though. Definitely giving Lex at least one of those. He never was one of my most used units in original Genealogy (of course, mine were what everyone uses in terms of lead cavalry: Sigurd, Cuan, and Finn; they're just too gooooooood), but this new stuff may just end with him seeing a LOT of action lol

Seriously pumped for that release date, tho. Hype train is hyped!

Wait...I don't know if I can ask this but with the whole support thing can:

Azel and Fury(pegasus knight)

Ayra and Lex

Sylvia and Claude

Beowolf and Laquesis

Levin and Tiltylu

support with each other because I did that when I played Geneology of the Holy War and since it isn't complete yet, I'd still like to know for the future.

A quick reminder that the hack will be released in less than 24 hours!!! (Sorry if you thought this was the release post.) Here's a bite-size progress update:

All the outstanding bugs that were present in my test builds have been ironed out. This mostly involves doing a lot of code cleanup with the arena.

All the portraits are in, minus: Zane, Voltz, Jacoban, Ring, Alvis and Vylon. They'll have placeholders in tonight.

The skill list for the first release has been finalized! Here's what you can expect to play around with in the first build:

• Pursuit
  • Astra
  • Luna

• Sol

• Toughness

• Fire Spirit

• Wind Spirit
  • Clarity
  • Specialist
  • Miracle
  • Relentless
  • Cursed Blood
  • Royal Veil
  • Daredevil
  • Renewal
  • Fortune
  • Bloodthirst
  • Sword Dance
  • Bravado
  • Parry

See you tomorrow!

Wait...I don't know if I can ask this but with the whole support thing can:

Azel and Fury(pegasus knight)

Ayra and Lex

Sylvia and Claude

Beowolf and Laquesis

Levin and Tiltylu

support with each other because I did that when I played Geneology of the Holy War and since it isn't complete yet, I'd still like to know for the future.

Ayra/Lex, Sylvia/Claude, Beowulf/Lachesis and Levin/Tiltyu will be in without any doubt. It's still too far to tell whether or not most of the other support pairings will be in yet, so maybe Azel/Fury will be in! Or maybe not. We'll have to see in a future release.