FEIV (v0.a released)

BoxMulder

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pi, I'm really curious. Have you always known how to hack or did you end up learning at some point along the way? I've always been following your sprite videos and everything but I find it so interesting that you've got all these h4x skillz that seemingly came out of nowhere.

I'm also crying over the fact that everything in this hack will inevitably be stolen by Japanese people

Outside of my stupidity/joking I don't think I've actually said this outright (and if I have, I think I feel like repeating it), This is incredibly awesome, and I am very excited for this hack. I also think your mugs (though unfinished) match the characters extremely well. (There is something about your Ayra mug that really captures her likeness to me, for some reason. Though, my only complaint is Ethyn's face seems kinda wired, but these are mostly WIPs, so I shouldn't really say anything hehehe)

Since you're using the GBA support system, will everyone have support conversations instead of just marrying?

So, I'm super pumped, and I also blame you for my soon to be purchase of Advanced Wars.

I haven't played it, please don't punch me.

Oh, and good job on backups. I will cry forever if this self destructs because reasons.

who needs japanese people to rip this off

i'm already intending to set aside a huge block of time to rip off reverse engineer half of this shit

I just want to say that the sheer amount of effort you must have put into this in order to (learn how to) implement all this stuff pretty much astonishes me to the highest degree.

Most people don't even bother learning the very basics of ASM hacking and here you are with more ASM in your project than anyone else, popping out of nowhere and surprising the crap out of everyone...

I don't even know if I'm excited to play this at this point, my FE obsession has greatly diminished of late (I feel sure it will be back though) but even looking at this from a purely objective point of view, I'm super impressed and in awe of the amount of work put in, and looking forward to seeing more. (Even if it's just like, "oh, that's really cool", as opposed to "oh i want to steal that feature" or "oh i'm so hype")

Dunno if I mentioned this, but this topic is win on so many levels. I'm of course interested to see how the project evolves.

Also, I figured the accounts *might* be linked when I checked BoxMulder's IP ages ago, but it could have been anything at that stage.

Pi, I'm really curious. Have you always known how to hack or did you end up learning at some point along the way? I've always been following your sprite videos and everything but I find it so interesting that you've got all these h4x skillz that seemingly came out of nowhere.

From the IRC logs, we figured it out to be about 2010-2011. He has a log of when I was explaining how a bitfield worked. :D

Wait, placeholders better than most or all of my mugs?

While I've seen better mugs for sure, the ones I've seen here are far from bad.

Unless there were some terrible mugs I missed X D

Considering the guy who posted the complaint has been on the forum for barely a week and has a name reminiscent of a google url, I wouldn't take it too seriously. Most people with a fraction of brainpower know that Pi is somewhere between 7th and 1st best mug designers in the FE fandom currently.

Man, this really got hype all of a sudden. I really gotta give this patch a go...

Considering the guy who posted the complaint has been on the forum for barely a week and has a name reminiscent of a google url, I wouldn't take it too seriously. Most people with a fraction of brainpower know that Pi is somewhere between 7th and 1st best mug designers in the FE fandom currently.

No offense intended to √π, but could we not start belittling/glorifying people just because of their internet-fame? I have a problem with Ethlin's portrait for instance, and without knowing what is a placeholder and what isn't, I kinda hope I'm not going to be called ignorant for it.

Though, my only complaint is Ethyn's face seems kinda wired, but these are mostly WIPs, so I shouldn't really say anything hehehe

No offense intended to √π, but could we not start belittling/glorifying people just because of their internet-fame? I have a problem with Ethlin's portrait for instance, and without knowing what is a placeholder and what isn't, I kinda hope I'm not going to be called ignorant for it.

If you have issues about the graphics, then feel free to mention them! Of course, people should make comments more substantial than "I like/hate X" otherwise I can't take anything useful from it.

A thing to keep in mind is that the portraits I show aren't the only ones that have been made. Just because Alec and Midale haven't been shown yet doesn't mean I haven't started working on them, I just haven't gotten far enough for public feedback to be useful. (They have graphics and look objectively terrible.)

On the flip side, if I do include graphics in a screenshot/video then I feel it's at a point where public feedback will be useful. Personally speaking, I'm not happy with a few of the ones I showed off, but I have to choose between spending more time refining them or moving on to graphics I haven't started yet.

I have more to say about this point and the point Miacis brought up about handling negative feedback but I can't phrase it properly at the moment.

Since you're using the GBA support system, will everyone have support conversations instead of just marrying?

Most of the lover conversations are going to become support conversations.

Okie, like do you want me to point out specifically what's up with Ethlin? I shall :D

-scrolls through topic to find image-

hKfHMTE.png

Um... well, I'm not good at exactly telling you what's wrong, but I can tell you what I think would fix it? It seems like the top of her head is too small, it should start a little bit above the bangs more. Move her near eye over(right) one pixel, and (the bottom part of)her nose and mouth left one pixel. (For some reason it feels like her face has a lot of blank space, these tiny adjustments seem to fix it, imo)

I can make an example in like 5 secs, but the main thing about it is like tiny placement stuff.

-eagerly awaits other peeps to have better advice-

Edited by L95

ethlin needs a wider face, her eyes look disturbing man. or here head needs to curve out more.

i now name that ethlin mug derplin, the beautiful.

seriously, just pull her face out at the top a little bit and space those eyes out some more. please.

If you have issues about the graphics, then feel free to mention them! Of course, people should make comments more substantial than "I like/hate X" otherwise I can't take anything useful from it.

Unfortunately, I have the worst analytical skills when it comes to sprites and art in general, so I doubt I'd be able to provide anything more than "It looks a bit odd." Unlike these fine gentlemen/ladies above. I guess I was just trying to illustrate my point.

Looking back through the thread, I also just noticed an earlier post of mine, which seems to have slipped unnoticed. And I'm actually pretty curious about it. I could understand if you can't yet reveal the "what" you have in mind to make major bloods better, but I'm more interested in the "why".

I mean, wouldn't minor bloods be the ones who might need a bit of a boost?

Edited by Miacis

Minor blood in FE4, IIRC, was just there so you could combine two people's minor blood to make it major blood. Having minor blood was the same thing as having no minor blood, until you got around to formulating your generational strategy.

I could be wrong about that though. In either case, Major blood is supposed to be the good stuff, and making it boost growth rates or something would be pretty neat.

Edited by Klok