Frustrating Maps, Go!

Vashiane

You know that map in Awakening that seems to punish you EVERY. SINGLE. TIME you dare make the tiniest of mistakes on it? Mm-hm. Or that chapter where the RNG randomly and consistently decides to abandon you for the other team. Or that map where in order to get everything you have to split your units up... and risk them getting decimated, or not get useful and FREE items.

I'm fairly certain everyone has a map that just will not let you slide by it with ease.

One of these maps for me, personally, is Chapter 4's Arena Ferox. I know, right? If I'm getting my butt whipped on Chapter 4 I shouldn't be playing. But since I absolutely refuse to keep playing if ANYONE dies, and if I dare move anyone away from Lissa's side to clear away a threat, she's a goner. Worst example of this is my recent playthrough, when I wanted to heal Chrom but didn't want to waste his turn on a Vulenary. So I seperated him and Lissa... but I forgot that seperating ends the turn for BOTH of them, and Marth waltzed his way right around my panic-made barricade and OHKO'd Lissa.

My palm was attached to my forehead for a while, let's just say that.

Chapter Thirteen seems to screw me over too when it comes to Henry. If I dare let Henry try to mop up a half-dead unit, he's immediately ganged up on. IMMEDIATELY> And if it's not Henry it's Gaius. The Risen must be attracted to all of that sugar or something because they will NOT leave him alone for anything.

Actually, any map that I need to have Gaius mop up dying units for XP (which is usually from his recruitment to Chapters 12-13) so I can get him to Assassin and never have to worry about him again is painful. Enemies swarm him like it's nobody's business and my cupcake just can't dodge those blasted axemen.

I'm aware the paralogues aren't made to be a walk in the park, but A Man Of Flowers feels like a walk in the Death's personal flower garden. I apologize for how indelicately this is going to be put, but those DAMN pesagus knights. I only managed to avoid them by cramming everyone inside as fast as possible and blocking the entrance with Gaius and Lon'qu (Assassin bros for LIFE).

And I will now end this by stating the obvious.

The Manor of Lost Souls is appropriately named. I no longer have mine.

Now, DISCUSS! [/ninja vanishes]

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Mila Tree

Every. Fucking. Time.

Those reinforcements to the south somehow always catch me off guard.

Lunatic Chapter 2: Chuck Frederick into the middle of an open field and "PICK A GOD AND PRAY"...that he doesn't die.

Chapters 3 and 4 were easier if only because I could choose to not deploy the scrubs. Chapter 4 was pretty much just having Chrom paired up with Frederick and I managed to get lucky and clear it.

Edited by Black★Rock Shooter

Lunatic Chapter 2: Chuck Frederick into the middle of an open field and "PICK A GOD AND PRAY"...that he doesn't die.

^ Ack. I know the early parts of Lunatic are called Frederick Emblem because you literally NEED him, but chapter two requires god-picking and praying then I don't ever want to touch Lunatic.

I'll stay back here and poke Lunatic Mode with a 39-and-a-half foot pole instead.

Manor of Lost Souls hands down, even after grinding a couple characters to max via DLC it still took me about 20 tries to complete it. (on lunatic)

And the first couple chapters of lunatic. Especially the one where you've got the forts and some guy with a hammer where you basically have to just pray for the RNG to be kind...

Edited by Generic Lad

Fuckin' hate Brady's chapter. I can even deal with Manor of Lost Souls (I even LIKE that chapter) but not Brady's stupid bitch of a chapter.

I don't like Chapter 17. First off, your team starts split up, which isn't good in a game where numbers can mean a lot. Second, the boss has a Fortify staff that she won't hesitate to use if any enemies nearby get hurt, And while you get reinforcements, they're immediately turned against you, which can make your strategy go south if you weren't expecting it. And don't get me started on chapter 18... Inigo's Paralogue is also a pain. So many ranged attackers in a game where unless they're bows or magic, ranged attacks often can't hack it.

Edited by Levant Fortner

oh and just because I forgot, Laurent's map can be a fucking asshole with the reinforcements if you don't know where they'll show up; I remember he died on my first Lunatic run of the map because he was in range of a Falcon Knight reinforcement that doubled and ORKO'd him.

I remember taking one good look at the Lunatic enemies on Inigo's paralogue and changing my Avatar into a Sorcerer. Yup.

Edited by Black★Rock Shooter

I love how everyone's mentioning their Lunatic runs and I'm just sitting over here playing Normal.

Gods, I suck. Facepalm_emote_gif.gif

Hey, I'm not looking forward to the ones I named and I'm on hard mode.

I love how everyone's mentioning their Lunatic runs and I'm just sitting over here playing Normal.

I don't plan on playing Lunatic ever. I'll stick to Normal, although someday I may do a Hard run on Casual.

On topic: A Frustrating map for me was Nah's paralogue map, the Manor of Lost Souls. The walls that open and close randomly slowed my movement down and frustrated me at the same time.

Also, the Rogues and Redeemers map, especially for R&R2 since my team was split up from the start, which meant two units were solo.

Shrug, Normal mode exists for a reason. If that's the difficulty you are comfortable with, who cares? A lot of the frustrating maps are tough because of their layout, not because of the difficulty level.

I've done Brady's chapter on all three difficulties (including autobattle through hard) and always hated it.

Edited by Integrity

I personally hate Chapter 23. The map is just random buffed enemies put there for the sake of being there. Their positioning has no thought to it. It feels like a mess to me because theres just too many of them.

True point, you guys. I am a serious noob to the series so I'm still adjusting and everything. I used to be one of those Brawl-associated Emblemiers. "Oh, yeah I know Fire Emblem! Uh-huh. Lyn... um... Lyn, oh yeah! She's an assist trophy, right?" [/instantly shot]

Of course, my eleven-year-old sister now has THE most broken Dark Mage/Sorcerer/Grandmaster Fem!Avatar ever, so watching her play is more like watching Aresa stand in the middle of a field while she baits enemies towards her.

Oh topic: this IS one map that drives my poor little sis nuts. Tiki's recruitment map.

That one was pretty easy to figure out, since the enemies only attack units directly in Tiki's axis if you completely wall her off.

It would be harder if the AI wasn't brain-dead :v

What the flying French FUCK, Awakening? Whose idea was it to make a map filled with little islands and suspension bridges and then throw a bunch of bowmen on a map when the recruitable character is a WYVERN RIDER?!

ARGH. Okay, let's rethink this one....

Any chapter/paralogue where you have to defend some helpless civilians. Paralogue 3. I think we all know the one. I'm trying to save you, WHY ARE YOU RUNNING RIGHT AT THE RISEN for the love of god. Those punks in that village turning those villagers away... ugh, I wanted to destroy that village myself.

Any chapter/paralogue where you have to defend some helpless civilians. Paralogue 3. I think we all know the one. I'm trying to save you, WHY ARE YOU RUNNING RIGHT AT THE RISEN for the love of god. Those punks in that village turning those villagers away... ugh, I wanted to destroy that village myself.

I know. I usually don't bother even saving them, unfortunately.

I know. I usually don't bother even saving them, unfortunately.

I wouldn't either, except the game makes you feel like crap if you don't. D8; Being guilt-tripped if a stupid-AI NPC gets killed, you're like "I tried man".

Rescue staves are your best friends even in Lunatic mode.

Though the chapter I hate is definitely the Mila tree. Damn reinforcements that comes in with bow users when the majority of my units were flyers. Shouldn't have used second seals before this chapter but meh...Lunatic mode.

Chapter 2 in Lunatic mode is actually the worst. I hated it in Hard mode because I couldn't find a way to simply just go and mad charge the map. But Lunatic is suicidal.

I wouldn't either, except the game makes you feel like crap if you don't. D8; Being guilt-tripped if a stupid-AI NPC gets killed, you're like "I tried man".

I KNOW. I'm like, "Chrom, STOP IT. You already made me cry during Chapters 9-11, now STOP. I am NOT going to protect a bunch of brain-dead villagers..."

Next paralogue: "Damn you Chrom, these villagers are idiots and you're making me protect them."

For true pain: try protecting the villagers in Gerome's paralogue. FFFFFFFFUUUUU -