I gave blood for the first time at school

ZemZem

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I felt pretty loopy by the time they were done, lol. Someone had to walk me back to my next class, and my friends were bro enough to give me some water.

Edited by ZMesu

Wooziness is never fun. Unless....

What eles do you normally do when you donate blood anyway?

I'm pretty sure I'd pass out while they're siphoning my blood.

I should actually look up whether my meds would make my blood damaged goods

I usually hear that it's painless, but I think I heard at least one person claim it hurt like fuck for them. You guys weren't wracked with pain, I assume? Was it the kind of thing that'd be routine at a doctor visit?

Edited by Rehab

Wooziness is never fun. Unless....

What eles do you normally do when you donate blood anyway?

I'm pretty sure I'd pass out while they're siphoning my blood.

Unless...?

Just wait...for your blood to be taken?

When I saw the pouch full of my blood...ugh.

I usually hear that it's painless, but I think I heard at least one person claim it hurt like fuck for them. You guys weren't wracked with pain, I assume? Was it the kind of thing that'd be routine at a doctor visit?

When the Red Cross employee pricked my finger for an iron sample, it kinda hurt. That was the most painful part of the entire thing, though. No, we weren't wracked with pain, but we had to sit down for a while to get ourselves together. And it wasn't really like a doctor visit, actually, since people were getting their blood taken simultaneously.

I tried giving blood once. I believe the response was something along the lines of:
"Sir, what the fuck are you doing going around with that box of old tampons"

I commend you for donating blood. It's a process that sounds really scary at first, but the worst part about it is the finger prick and the 2 inch needle that goes into your inner arm almost parallel to your skin, with 3/4ths of the needle in your skin, a bit like if your skin was getting skinned off by a need... Okay, maybe I should stop.

I've actually donated blood 17 times now. Though strangely enough, the arm needle never gets any less painful or less scary. I personally find that once the needle is in, the worst part is over. What's even worse actually is when they didn't get the vein in your preferred arm, and they have to move on to your next arm (giving you needle wounds on both of your inner arms, which'll hopefully never happen to you). I personally don't get grossed out by blood much, and I'm perfectly fine with seeing my own bag of blood. Unless it looks like it wasn't a full unit and that I wasn't able to donate as much as the typical person (though donating blood in the first place is quite the noble sacrifice already).

It sure sounded like you were in bad shape after your blood donation. Do you feel okay now? Hopefully it was just a matter of you not having enough fluids before the donation, and it's not something too serious.

I tried giving blood once. I believe the response was something along the lines of:

... XD

I commend you for donating blood. It's a process that sounds really scary at first, but the worst part about it is the finger prick and the 2 inch needle that goes into your inner arm almost parallel to your skin, with 3/4ths of the needle in your skin, a bit like if your skin was getting skinned off by a need... Okay, maybe I should stop.

I've actually donated blood 17 times now. Though strangely enough, the arm needle never gets any less painful or less scary. I personally find that once the needle is in, the worst part is over. What's even worse actually is when they didn't get the vein in your preferred arm, and they have to move on to your next arm (giving you needle wounds on both of your inner arms, which'll hopefully never happen to you). I personally don't get grossed out by blood much, and I'm perfectly fine with seeing my own bag of blood. Unless it looks like it wasn't a full unit and that I wasn't able to donate as much as the typical person (though donating blood in the first place is quite the noble sacrifice already).

It sure sounded like you were in bad shape after your blood donation. Do you feel okay now? Hopefully it was just a matter of you not having enough fluids before the donation, and it's not something too serious.

Thanks bro. The thing is, I wasn't really scared at all. Actually, out of all my friends and other sophomores in my grade, I'm the only one that I know of that donated blood. When I got back to class, everyone was asking me all kinds of questions about it.

Seventeen times? Wow, so many lives saved. O_O And...I HOPE that doesn't happen to me, the inner wound stuff. Still, I'd be happy to donate blood again, and getting past the small hint of wooziness I endured seeing a lot of my blood in a bag, I thought it was pretty cool.

Yeah, I'm alright now. I gave the blood about four hours ago, and I'm making sure to drink as much water as I can. And yeah, i'd say I didn't drink enough before the donation.

It doesn't really hurt. I had to get my blood checked quite often years ago, the thing I always hated most was the sore pulling I would feel while it happened. The needle's bad and all, but it's just the feeling of something foreign and metal being in your arm that sets me off.

What's even worse actually is when they didn't get the vein in your preferred arm, and they have to move on to your next arm

What REALLY sucks is when both arms are too hard to get a vein in and they move to your hand.

Shit is painful.

My arm has a large red bandaid wraped around it, and I'll need to drink tons of water for the rest of the day, but I'm alive. I'm pretty exhausted, too.

Yeah, I had to do this as well and had similar after effects whenever I gave blood, I'm pretty thin.

Edited by Opinion Leader Jedi

Yeah, I had to do this as well and had similar after effects whenever I gave blood, I'm pretty thin.

Haha, yeah. I've never had so much blood leave my body before. And not to mention I didn't eat or drink much before it.

What REALLY sucks is when both arms are too hard to get a vein in and they move to your hand.

Shit is painful.

They...that happens? >_<

I'm glad they found my vein in an instant in my left arm.

Haha, yeah. I've never had so much blood leave my body before. And not to mention I didn't eat or drink much before it.

They...that happens? >_<

I'm glad they found my vein in an instant in my left arm.

It can happen. They usually won't have to if you don't have thick skin though. It's alright when they put it in the first time, but subsequent times actually hurt a lot. It also leaves a lot of bruising.

It can happen. They usually won't have to if you don't have thick skin though. It's alright when they put it in the first time, but subsequent times actually hurt a lot. It also leaves a lot of bruising.

I just took the bandaid off my arm where the needle stuck in, and it's pretty bruised. I can't move it too much without it hurting. I can't imagine what it would be like on my hand, though.

looooooool.

just reading this thread has made me woozy...

Getting a blood test is enough to make me feel lightheaded and about to pass out. I can't imagine donating blood.... oh god, the blood and pain. again, the blood.

I've considered giving blood in the past, but I have a hard time with blood as it is so I ended up not doing it. I was better off than a friend who was helping organize it, though. Really sucked for her. Her problems with it are way more severe too.

Edited by Liquid Snake

looooooool.

just reading this thread has made me woozy...

Getting a blood test is enough to make me feel lightheaded and about to pass out. I can't imagine donating blood.... oh god, the blood and pain. again, the blood.

I was laying down getting my blood pumped out for 20 minutes. It wasn't fun, but at least I was doing good.

I've considered giving blood in the past, but I have a hard time with blood as it is so I ended up not doing it. I was better off than a friend who was helping organize it, though. Really sucked for her.

Is she squeamish around blood, or something? Must've sucked seeing a bunch of blood in sacks.

I was laying down getting my blood pumped out for 20 minutes. It wasn't fun, but at least I was doing good.

If I had to stay like that for more than 5 minutes, I'd pass out by then. Definitely.

She's really uncomfortable around blood of any kind, real or not. Doesn't even like it being described or mentioned at all. She'd hate this thread. :P

This thread DOES go in detail a few times in some posts. :P

If I had to stay like that for more than 5 minutes, I'd pass out by then. Definitely.

I was feeling pretty light-headed after they told me I was halfway done pumping my blood out. After getting up, I could barely lift anything.