Lamia's FE4 stuff

Lamia

excuse the pretentious topic title, I'd like to go ahead and share some stuff for FE4 that everyone might not have access to or find all that easily

fe4hackdocs

first thing is twilkitri's old data, useful for learning some of the basics and has some things like dialogue coding that may be important to have, most of it is handled by nightmare these days but some isn't

I also added the codes for using menu text

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1WFmJnnSmjOWV_1wu3FqlDEHB1YLex_vX

FE4MAP

the japanese map editor, I 'translated' the necessary stuff (not much to translate but still looks better)

google translate can help you if you want to check out the readme, but if you need some help with the program lemme know

the important thing is that once you save a map, drag the map file you saved onto 'encofe4.exe' in order to compress it, then insert it to the ROM

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-UlWV_A8rZT-bd2ismNN3d177jqT0mLO

Note: FE4MAP makes the army editor nearly obsolete, use the appropriate editor in the program instead

Note 2: Modifying castle and village data (just this data) can screw up the game due to structure misalignment errors in the program. I believe there's info about modifying the data directly somewhere, but either way you can look at the bytes in the map editor itself and figure it out where it is in a hex editor

New Nightmare Modules

more things to make your life easier

Hair Color Editor

edits the hair colors for battle animations, they're stored specially since IS was too lazy to make custom palettes for every character

Triangle Attack Editor

self-explanatory, there are three possible combinations

Children Definition

is this where children are born? I dunno, haven't played with it or anything, but hopefully it will act how I want it to later on

Battle Sprite Editor

just modified the defining bytes so it's better to customize

Custom Battle Palette Editor

provides a custom palette to any character with the matching class

Class/Item Name Editor

well there was a character one why not these too for huge convenience

Magic Animation Editor

just copy-pasted it from the FE5 one pretty much

Chapter Music Editor

the second one is for when chapters start from a save

I didn't finish collecting all the phase data but it should be easy enough to figure out for anyone else (if you needed to)

Skill Table Editors

this new set of editors will allow you to assign any skill you want to the skill lists available for characters, classes, or items, the class one especially important due to the lack of skills you can give them

it's pretty much for replacing all those unused and/or unneeded skills in the lists

to use it, you designate a skill to a certain flag, which you then are able to use said flags in the other editors

Shield Sprite Editor and Shield Definition Editor

these will change the shields used by the various knightly classes, allowing for more customization

you can give a certain shield of a certain color to a certain character using a certain class, which is pretty great

- another note, relating to map sprites and shield sprites: if you use and customize the map sprite editor, the pointers for them are at $3825E I believe

- this applies to both the map sprite and shield definition/sprite editor too: when pointing to a certain class, it will read from each class in the list until it reaches a character(shields) or gender(map sprites) that reads FF, then it moves to the next pointer

- this is why when making someone not sigurd or celice into a lord knight, they look like a duke knight because duke knights come right after; since only the lords are lord knights, and their sprites are specified by character, there's no need to give them gender or an 'end list' code

Item Sprite Editor

this'll allow you to change the battle animation sprite and palette designations for items, giving you more customization

on a side note, if you'd like to insert your own graphics like I have, the tile pointer table starts at $198A1F

Battle Music Editor

lets you change the music used during battle, though you can only use other music allowed for battle, mostly just useful after using the FE5 music patch

Chapter Intro Music Editor

changes the music that plays when a chapter loads and shows the name, right after the world map screen

Skill Icon Display

this set of modules is simply for changing which skill graphics are displayed for each skill

with this you can give icons to 'hidden' skills such as canto, recover, etc

I did this myself for those two and also some new skills in my hack so that none of the graphics get wasted

Holy Weapon Flash Editor + Modified

modifies the items that have the special weapon flash; there is a patch available that modifies the data to allow more entries, which you should then use the (Modified) version of the editor

Magic Animation Pointer Editor

advanced reference module for magic editing, don't be too concerned about it

Broken Weapon Editor

allows you to modify the broken weapon for every combination of weapon and rank; HOWEVER dark uses the same entry as light does, unless you change the pointers just before the data at 7E4DC - 7E4EF

Battle Positions Editor

changes how the characters appear in battle; like you know how ranged swords have them start at a distance, and long range tomes/ballistae start with one character invisible and they're both in the center of the screen? use this to change that stuff

modules download:

(overwrite the folders of the original nightmare package)

last updated: Apr 9, 2017

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1p24fkGOEXapEOqFJ6sXyv4ZgRxiUoXQ9

other stuff

Portrait Tutorial

Magic Animation Tutorial

link to some more tools in this topic: https://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?/topic/39603-lamias-fe4-stuff/&do=findComment&comment=2775837

anyway that'll do for now, I'd like to think I'm pretty versed in FE4 if anyone wants to ask whatever, or not, I know noone cares about FE4

Edited by Lamia

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yo, sorry for not getting back to you. I might as well throw a few things into the FE4 pile.

Pursuit Skill Check
To deactivate the skill check for pursuit, as in every unit will act like it has pursuit, change $04E56C to X9, where X is any number that isn't 8.

FE5 style Ambush
Basically the game doesn't bother checking if a unit with ambush has less than half health. Change $04E431 from;

20 3B DF 90 14 A9 11 00 22 9D A1 87 90 0B BD 12 
00 4A DD 10 00 90 02 38 60 18 60 

to

20 3B DF 90 0A BD 24 00 89 00 04 F0 02 38 60 18 
60 EA EA EA EA EA EA EA EA EA EA 

Sword skills

I've had a look through the sword skill patches, they're a little complicated. Rather than confuse myself by trying to reverse engineer them, I'll just upload them. They seem to make a few changes across the ROM, particularly at around $060000.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/w51f3p

A lets multiple sword skills activate

B I believe lets them activate on other weapons, although I could be wrong

C I forget what it does, maybe it's not B

There's some other nifty stuff from the old uploader, although a lot of it seems to explode!

Edited by Shin

So, when you say activate multiple sword skills at once do you mean like activate meteor and lunar at the same time? Heck even meteor, lunar, and sol at once?

Quite right. In theory you could activate all of them, but that would be cray-cray.

This is quite a little FE4 goldmine. Thanks for sharing your stuff! I dabbled in some basic FE4 hacking back in the day, but I didn't have much to show for it.

Also, I keep Serenes' nightmare module downloads updated. Would it be cool if I added your modules to the main archive? That way, anybody who goes looking for SNES modules gets the complete package.

This is quite a little FE4 goldmine. Thanks for sharing your stuff! I dabbled in some basic FE4 hacking back in the day, but I didn't have much to show for it.

Also, I keep Serenes' nightmare module downloads updated. Would it be cool if I added your modules to the main archive? That way, anybody who goes looking for SNES modules gets the complete package.

that would be groovy acourse

one thing though if you could double check, for character/class/item skills in the proper editors make sure the dropdown list is in decimal, set as NDDU, I think I've had to change it in the past, but it coulda been another set of editors

it's a lot easier to add in base-10 than base-16, dunno why the original module makers didn't think of it

an important thing to note is that the j2e patch shuffles data around all over the place (even if mostly text), so most of the japanese research and patches screws up a translated ROM, requiring manual repointing, had to do it a few times, but worth it in the end for most stuff

Edited by Lorena

I'm actually so happy there's a hair color editor now. It's always driven me crazy when I change a portrait but I end up with like blue haired Cuan or something. Thanks so much!

I'm having trouble opening the tri attack editor. It says a drop box element list of values could not be opened

then the folder doesn't have a FE4 Character Numbers.txt in it

also I managed to get the sword skills patch going, finally

now the proper tier 3 classes won't be lagging behind

Edited by Lorena

found that elusive skill name/description pointer stuff, thankfully it's in the same order as the skills as in the definition editor, must be the internal order yes?

I managed to change the text for those two sword skills, take a look

[spoiler=proof]FE4akanesim_00047.pngFE4akanesim_00048.png

just gave them some cool-sounding names to make them passable, now I can use these for the aforementioned tier 3 classes without feeling guilty

if you guys want to edit the pointers for names/descriptions I made two nightmare modules, doubt you'll need them but

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/32936jpycwr2dy6/FE4%20Skill%20Name%20Pointer%20Editor.nmm

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/rq8clkjped11lkr/FE4%20Skill%20Description%20Pointer%20Editor.nmm

also if you're lazy and just want to use light veil/shadow cut for your own hack then use this patch (uses space that is probably empty for you, 9AC1D - 9AC80)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/j84yqe33u4xazgu/lightshadow.ips

Edited by Lorena

Sword skills

I've had a look through the sword skill patches, they're a little complicated. Rather than confuse myself by trying to reverse engineer them, I'll just upload them. They seem to make a few changes across the ROM, particularly at around $060000.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/w51f3p

A lets multiple sword skills activate

B I believe lets them activate on other weapons, although I could be wrong

C I forget what it does, maybe it's not B

I found out what each of the patches do with some reading and testing

you were correct with A, but it also does allow for any weapon type to use the sword skills

B turns light sword into a combination sol/luna, kind of like aether, but only one hit

C turns light sword into 'true' aether, activates sol and luna in separate attacks

B and C use the A patch of multiple activation and any weapon

all of the patches also make it easier to change the attack/defense bonus of light/dark sword (although obviously if you choose to use aether then you can't use light sword anymore)

for some reason patch C has luna activate before sol, so to make it like the original, change these bytes to the one on the right:

※月光剣、太陽剣の順番変更(1st太陽 2nd月光)

$060059:17 → 3F

$06005E:3A → 12

I'll probably use aether for my hack, yeah

Edited by Lorena

I tried using the sword skills patches (all of them and each of them separately) and while I got them to work I had some issues too. For example Lex who only has Ambush and Elite was using Luna and Sol. The enemies were using them too. Is this suppose to happen?

I tried using the sword skills patches (all of them and each of them separately) and while I got them to work I had some issues too. For example Lex who only has Ambush and Elite was using Luna and Sol. The enemies were using them too. Is this suppose to happen?

sounds like the patches have overwritten something they weren't supposed to, what ROM and patches have you used?

also, the patch choice needs to be only one at a time, not all of them

your ROM also needs to have a header

and did you happen to mess with the skill table?

Edited by Lorena

I've used the English patch and now these sword skills patches. For the rom it's just a FE4 rom to be honest I don't recall where I got it. I did mess with the skills table but I only replaced dark sword with great shield as a personal skill. I may attempt to patch it with a FE4 rom I haven't hacked to see if the problem is with my hack.

it may be the fact you use the english patch, since I just use j2e's patch

make sure there's free space starting from 5FFC0 to 60100-ish, it might've been taken up by text

Edited by Lorena

actually I think you may be right about that happening, I think it happened to me, I'm unsure how to fix it yet

guess if I can't get it to work I'd be able to make lethality, I can't use it the way I want if I add aether in, oh well

for the record, I just noticed that awareness doesn't block light/dark sword

Edited by Lorena

fiddling with the binary folks' graphics compressor

[spoiler=Q.E.D.]FE4akanesim_00049.png

problem is that I haven't found anything yet resembling locations of where the addresses for graphics and crap starts, I only worked from one that happened to mention a single address... but yes I managed to insert this from some portraits deep in their files

stay tuned on a step-by-step to insert these, but I still need to figure out the addresses...

Edited by Lorena

• 3 weeks later...

fiddling with the binary folks' graphics compressor

[spoiler=Q.E.D.]FE4akanesim_00049.png

problem is that I haven't found anything yet resembling locations of where the addresses for graphics and crap starts, I only worked from one that happened to mention a single address... but yes I managed to insert this from some portraits deep in their files

stay tuned on a step-by-step to insert these, but I still need to figure out the addresses...

I'm doing a FE4 patch update for official NoA stuff. Things like Grandbell -> Grannvale, Holsety -> Forseti, Fala Flame -> Valflame etc. One thing I'd love to do is update a few graphics in the game - the World Map, for one, because it still says "Grandbell." I see that you've made some progress in getting at the images in the ROM ... have you gotten any further with finding the addresses for images?

• 3 months later...

I actually managed to find the unused soldier animations in the game, but unfortunately they're unusable since there are no soldier sprites

I checked every sprite sheet the game allowed and they're not there, or if they are, there's no pointers to them, too bad though

for these animations I just gave them sniper sprites since they're the closest analogue

Sword/Axe

Lance

Throwing Axe

Throwing Lance

Bow

as you can see, they hold the shields and move the lance just like they do in FE5

additionally there are some awkward animations that don't seem finished, not sure what they were used for

they fit swordmaster/swordfighter sprites, but it's more likely they were meant for another class; swordmaster animations and sprites take up a lot of different bytes despite them all being the same, so I'm guessing they used that class as a baseline to fool with stuff

maybe 32 and 33 due to being right after soldiers were meant to be their promoted class

0x32

0x33

0x45

0x5A

one thing to try is to see if the sword and axe animations are still in FE5 (they probably are)

that's all from me for now although there are a few things I could add to this topic but I have forgotten what I've done since/I'm feeling lazy

Edited by Lorena

• 2 months later...

hey guys I have some more stuff for you

I figured out a couple useful patches and junk from the binary folks' research, so I renamed the patches to something readable

binary tools (10MB) https://drive.google.com/open?id=15LJQ1k5x-jS6EERUgdH83_HwTn7IW1wE

note that I haven't renamed everything I found in the old archive (I tend to not use patches experimentally if I can't read what they do, and some stuff I didn't bother with, aka laziness)

most of these patches and stuff are simple tools and changes, so they won't conflict with one another or j2e's patch; if they do, they'll probably require some repointing... I also haven't used each of these tools, so I can't vouch for the usefulness or working order of such, but if I mark them as 'safe', they're just fine to insert for any patch as far as I know

I've likely repointed things here and there for some that I've used, and since I can't remember exactly all I've done, USE THESE WITH CAUTION AND MAKE BACKUPS.

[spoiler=FE4 Binary Tools]battleanimation

various notes for coding battle animations

CRTdisplay

displays critical hit ratio during realtime battle, replacing the LEV (level)

- NOTE: may cause criticals to always activate and wrath to not work; I fixed it but I need to figure out what I did again...

expformulachange

I think these are notes on how to change the experience given for killing certain classes (didn't use, not sure how it works)

fe4-5music

adds the five battle themes from FE5, replacing the codes 9B - 9F with Attack, Defend, Boss, vs. Leidrick, and vs. Beldo

use it with the battle music editor like me

FE4gfx

a lot of various graphics and data made by various people ready for insertion to FE4

*fe45_comp*

graphics compressor AND decompressor, highly valuable.

FE45gfx

a lot of portraits, some from other FEs, some custom improvements and the like, etcetera

FE45newrealanime

some sprite data of FE5 sprites for inserting to FE4

FEcompress

graphics compressor, not sure if it's much different from the other, but more is always better

introtext

decompressed intro graphics

lord-patchesnotes

a lot of patches and notes from a user named 'Lord' who has a fair bit of documentation on various things, basic and advanced

NPC - realtime

forces NPC battles into realtime animation

- safe to use

playerautoequip

supposed to make it so that the player can also cheat like the enemy and auto-equip weapons if attacked at a range they can't reach

- I haven't used it and it may cause data conflicts/not work/other problems

rangefix

I think it removes the 'immobile' movement that the game forces on units that use long range weapons and staves, but as a tradeoff you can't see the range

- I haven't used this so I don't know if it works

strengthmagicweapon

allows you to make physical weapons do magical damage, or magical weapons do physical damage, and causes damage from and to the appropriate stats (was useful in my hack)

- add 10 (hex) to the weapon type in the item editor to utilize the opposite damage type

- this patch has some coding that may mess up how the emulator displays the game; a problem which my hack has, as far as I know, in ZSNES at least, using an older version or unchecking 'use new gfx eng' will prevent such oddities

swordskills

sword skill patches, all of which allows any weapon type to use the sword skills

A: enables sword skills usable by anyone

B: A + flare replaces light sword

😄 A + aether replaces light sword

weaponDrank

adds a D rank for weapons, pretty simple, holy blood will also raise the rank from it properly

- don't forget to change the nightmare module ranks and every single class/item to reflect this change

weaponweightpatches

makes it so strength = build, meaning weight reduction

- there are also some other calculations you can use, along with magical weapons using magic as weight reduction

classchangelv1

promoting returns units to level 1

- I haven't used this patch

criticalshake

changes how the screen shakes in realtime battles for criticals, the readme has an address you can modify to play with it I think

- safe to use

fe4-5statscreen

adjusts how the character/class names and icon is shown on the statscreen: class icon in the corner then the name, with the class name under it, personally I think FE5's looks better too

- safe to use

npcenemydeath

lets enemy units scream on death

- have not used

portraitcolorsfull

this patch is also in my portrait insertion guide, but I'll put it here too

it makes it so the full palette can be used for portraits, rather than one color cut off

- safe to use

Notes:

compressedspriteaddresses.txt - the address locations of compressed graphics for portraits, map sprites, battling map sprites, and battle animations; contains some from FE5 too

gfxlocations.txt - miscellaneous compressed graphics locations, including menu text, intro stuff, title screen, village backgrounds, battle animation sprites for weapons, magic, and backgrounds, etcetera... including the Nintendo logo

item sprite addresses:

198925 - item animation tile headers
198A1F - item animation tile pointers

use this above info to possibly insert your own

think that's it, enjoy, hopefully the 3 people that hack this game will find it useful

and of course, if you need help don't hesitate to ask here or the questions board

Edited by Lamia

Did I ever give you a link to all the binary uploads and research I've backed up over the years? I had mentioned it in some commentary I had for your demo you posted a while back, but I don't think I ever got around to sending it.

don't think so