Lamia's FE4 stuff

Lamia

Before I start digging into this I want to make sure I understand correctly: are the battle sprite palettes divided over all that is applicable from Hair, Shield, Rider, Horse and Weapon? So a character like Arya would only have an entry in the Hair location (and maybe weapon?), Arden would have a Hair and a Shield entry (and maybe weapon?) and Noish would have an entry in everything.

If I've got that right, I guess there'd be a table somewhere for riders and horses and weapons similar to the ones for hair and shields?

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hair uses only certain colors from the palette, and special hair colors are only applied when set with the bytes you can modify in the Hair Color Editor

shields and their palettes can be set with the Shield Sprite Editor

mounted knights and mounts are defined in the Battle Sprite Editor

weapons are defined in the Weapon Sprite Editor

these editors all modify by the palette header, if you want to customize them yourself you can look through the entries and pick a palette that isn't being used and change it manually

a reminder that each battle animation palette header has a palette set for all 4 alignments, in order of player > enemy > npc > neutral

Edited by Lamia

In the battle sprite editor I'm not seeing any entries for Alec and Noish though. From what I can tell their Rider palettes are at $201958 and $202A7B respectively, maybe off by a byte. I'd expect that somewhere there would be a table pointing each of them to that.

Though, not quite sure I understand the palette byte in the battle sprite editor more generally. Is that byte an index in some other point table? It's also weird that social knights, lance knights, arch knights and axe knights share that index and look like you should be able to, say, swap Noish or Alec between those classes while retaining their rider palette but that isn't the case.

now that you mention it, there certainly is a place for special palettes like that, like how aless is a black knight too, however I don't know where they are exactly though and haven't gone to do any research on it yet (haven't had a need to do so)

as far as I know, I think these special palettes only apply when the class matches

EDIT: it took all of 10 minutes to find it

I've included a nightmare module for it in my package, Custom Battle Palette Editor

Edited by Lamia

Thanks, that really helps.

Still not sure I understand the 4B, 4C, 4D, etc. under palette though. You mentioned a palette header but I'm not exactly sure where the palettes begin and how you'd use that byte to arrive at the correct one.

they are just numbers to represent the palette... hence calling it a header

like how using a character or class or item number refers to the specific data in full

if you need to change a palette to your own you probably have to find it manually by analyzing a screenshot

Edited by Lamia

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/8/2017 at 6:08 AM, Lamia said:

they are just numbers to represent the palette... hence calling it a header

like how using a character or class or item number refers to the specific data in full

if you need to change a palette to your own you probably have to find it manually by analyzing a screenshot

Battle Positions 2.txt is missing from your package.

10 hours ago, hanhnn said:

Battle Positions 2.txt is missing from your package.

whoops I added it

also I haven't exactly determined everything about those position editors, playing around with them would be advisable if needing to do so

2 hours ago, Nevrikx said:

do you know of how to edit passing down of skills? because Fury Azel and Sigurd aren't passing these skills down for me 

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/235253973588639747/287051806880825347/FE4_Gen2_Skill_Inheritance.zip

I didn't make this, teraspark did

the skills line up with whatever skills are set for characters

if you want everything to be inherited just set them all to FF (or if you have a hex editor you can do it faster by setting $7AB75 - 7ABE9 all to FF in a headered ROM)

Edited by Lamia

I've got a question as well (oh, what a surprise XD). 

From what I understood, the exp you get when using a staff is influenced by the cost of the staff itself (more expensive staff = more exp gained; cheaper staff = less exp gained). What (and how) do I have to change (or hex edit) to make the formula something like 'base exp + (target level - user level)? 

Thanks in advance. 

(And thanks for the skill inheritance solution. Helped me loads!)

afraid I haven't found any data about that in the japanese research, I dunno if it's in there somewhere or not but I have looked around quite a bit already

I'd like to find out myself, because of the nerfs I've done to staff items for my project in uses and cost, they give a bit too much exp

Edited by Lamia

Well, I can live with that. XD 

Btw, any way I can make the Canto skill (the one mounted units usually have) show with icon and description like all the other skills?

Edited by Blunderpuggs

Having issues with the custom holy character editor, the first few work fine, but the 7th on (and presumeably onwards) cause crashes.  Anyone else have this issue/have insight for what's going on?  

not sure what the custom holy character editors are, unless you mean just the regular ones

I can't say what the problem might since I haven't reached the point in my project to where I need to modify vampa, fetora, and eliu

but from what I can see there's nothing in there that might cause a crash, unless you changed something you weren't supposed to (like the character type) or the module is not correct

Edited by Lamia

It's a module posted by Camus on page 2.  I'm fairly certain it's just overwriting data where it's not supposed to (he probably didn't test it beyond a certain point).   AFAIK the regular holy character works fine, i'm just trying to change regular enemy stats (without just changing class bases/growths) and skills.

Edited by General Horace

was the space unoccupied? and not just the one, but for each character that the editor covers if you have enter+saved in nightmare with each

utility patches may be interfering as well if you're using any

Edited by Lamia

nah i'm using an unpatched JP rom.

He claimed it uses empty space near the middle of the ROM, but I haven't found it yet (he didn't list where it's actually pointed...) and i'm too tired to find it today, i'll look more into it tomorrow.  A common occurance i've had is the Cuan/Ethlin/Fin intro/recruitment causes blackscreen (or a particularly funky redscreen i've never seen before)

Edited by General Horace

2 hours ago, General Horace said:

It's a module posted by Camus on page 2.  I'm fairly certain it's just overwriting data where it's not supposed to (he probably didn't test it beyond a certain point).   AFAIK the regular holy character works fine, i'm just trying to change regular enemy stats (without just changing class bases/growths) and skills.

According to the page2 post, the 7th holy character doesn't follow the same pattern. It could be the issue.

you could probably just repoint to the new data yourself to some free space it can reach, since apparently character data uses pointers (news to me but I never had a reason to look)

Edited by Lamia

14 hours ago, hanhnn said:

According to the page2 post, the 7th holy character doesn't follow the same pattern. It could be the issue.

That's probably the problem.  I'll try it out later this week.  Thanks.

I added a small thing to my module package, included is a patch (and accompanying new nightmare module) to extend the amount of weapons that can get the holy weapon flash in battle

the patch can be applied to a headered ROM and I'm quite sure it doesn't matter if you're using a translation or not, as it only overwrites the codes used for the data itself, and in turn is made more efficient, allowing up to 35 entries

on a side note, managed to accomplish this with some notes

Spoiler

Edited by Lamia