Lamia's FE4 stuff

Lamia

Alright, here's an update on my situation: I managed to find the area that chooses the coat of arms for Sigurds Army in the castle, in the castle 2, for the player phase and in battles these locations are BBAA For the Castle 1(Someone else already said this on here and I used this as the base for how I found the others), A9165 has the castle 2(Used for when you get out of the town), 198F96 has the hex for the coat of arms in battle and 11B222 has the Sigurd player phase coat of arms(As a little bonus I think the location of the Freege Army phase coat of arms is 11B22C). With that over with however I still have not found where the coat of arms is for the status information. If anyone could find that it would help a lot. For a little extra context i'm using a Naga Rom with a header if thats worth anything. Another thing worth noting is that the hex for Freeges coat of Arms is 67 E3 while Chalphys is EF DC.

Freege Phase.PNG

Proof.PNG

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 5/15/2020 at 9:20 PM, D.K. Durand said:

Double posting because I'm a terrible person (and a few days have gone by).

So I'm currently combing this thread backwards trying to squeeze every last drop of info out of it that I can. Seems like adding entries to the item table is a bit of a no-go, but there are a couple unused slots that I can make use of, and I'll see if I can't move a few things around.

New questions regarding Battle sprite table that I'm sure has been already asked somewhere:

1. Seems that the nightmare table only has entries up to 0x66. I'd like to add new weapon choices to a variety of existing classes (Axes to Forests to make them true heros, etc) . Is it possible to extend this table? 

2. Also, while I'm at it, if I wanted to add entries for tome use to a physical class, could I just use the magic sword animations they have? (For instance, they raise their hand as if there was a sword there, but their hand is empty and magic animation plays.)

EDIT:

I mean, since I want to add a variety of weapon animations, I suppose I COULD just remove the master knight class (making Raquesis and Leaf Paladins for their promoted classes) and use that class's slots, but I'd prefer to just be able to add more.

Double EDIT:

And what about adding new text entries, like the names of new weapons, etc? Not talking about using the slots that are already there, but rather entirely new text slots. 

sorry about my slow responses, I tend to forget about this place

in any case, I'm not sure it's a good idea to expand the battle sprite table. I think I've tried to do it before and things got wonky

magic sword animations are only tied to a unit using a sword type animation at 2+ range. they can't be used in any other manner afaik

and yeah, for my own project, having multiple classes and genders being able to use almost all weapons is just way too much animation space. I don't have such classes in my project. I also cut javelin and hand axe. in my project the throwable lances/axes are only S rank, so only third tier classes can use them, more space helps

furthermore I don't know if you noticed but whenever you fiddle with animations, make sure all of the class entries are put together, i.e. a paladin needs to have all of the sword and lance animations in one continuous 'segment', and not split up by other class entries. a hex editor is handy for this, using cut and paste (not copy) so that you can keep the table consistent, just don't paste wrong

as long as you know how to use pointers and text, dealing with names is pretty simple. there's no reason to add more text because the pointers only read so much space. just change the length of text if you need to. best way to go about it is to, say, work out your full item list, then start from the beginning and rewrite all of it, then change the pointers to all of it in order

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/16/2020 at 3:03 AM, Lamia said:

could you elaborate on that

Whenever I try to put in a battle sprite it looks all garbled or something. Idk how to make it look like it's supposed to. It's already in the binarytools as a bin file so idk what other step i need. I'm also having trouble finding where the data for skills are since I want to edit skills like vantage.

Edited by Mustard

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm currently trying my hand at modifying Fe4 binary (with the partial english translation) looking to modify character bases/growths/skills as well as class caps and maybe promo bonuses as well. I've had limited success since running the fe4 nightmare modules on binary spits out a lot of weird things (for instance, some characters in the gen1 module are actually enemies since the modules rely on a hard coded hex address to determine what address pertains to which character, I can provide screenshots if needed of this) and a lot of the growths/bases make no sense (like 131 str although noone in fe4 binary can/has that much str which makes me think that its pertaining to something other than growths/bases). I tried my hand at ASM hacking via a debugger version of snes9x and have had some limited success editing things in RAM like current HP but I don't exactly know how to edit the aforementioned (bases/growths/class attribs). 

Any help would be appreciated.

• 2 months later...

image.png.bc6c715c735e06471aab1dbd473f0629.png

I'm trying to get into FE4 hacking and none of these values make any sense. It is like this for every Module. Does anyone know what is the problem? I've tried this for both Japanese ROM and English patched ROM.

On 4/7/2021 at 1:25 AM, windypanda1 said:

image.png.bc6c715c735e06471aab1dbd473f0629.png

I'm trying to get into FE4 hacking and none of these values make any sense. It is like this for every Module. Does anyone know what is the problem? I've tried this for both Japanese ROM and English patched ROM.

Is your ROM headered? If so, that would cause the offsets to shift but 0x200 bytes.

Go into the nightmare module and add 0x200 the offset pointed there if it has one and remove 0x200 if it doesnt. 

Edited by lightcosmo

On 4/9/2021 at 11:41 AM, lightcosmo said:

Is your ROM headered? If so, that would cause the offsets to shift but 0x200 bytes.

Go into the nightmare module and add 0x200 the offset pointed there if it has one and remove 0x200 if it doesnt. 

image.thumb.png.81ce3bb17c305a897e3231c8db34ee2a.png

Lightcosmo here to rescue my ass as always haha. I tried adding 200 to the offset and the values still don't make sense. The ROM is exactly 8192 KB which is 2^13 KB so it's probably not headered? I also tried the same thing with the Japanese unpatched ROM which is actually 4096 KB but the exact same result happened. 

Edited by windypanda1

2 hours ago, windypanda1 said:

Lightcosmo here to rescue my ass as always haha. I tried adding 200 to the offset and the values still don't make sense. The ROM is exactly 8192 KB which is 2^13 KB so it's probably not headered? I also tried the same thing with the Japanese unpatched ROM which is actually 4096 KB but the exact same result happened. 

0x200 means 200 in hex, and 512 in decimal.

You put it the wrong way

3 hours ago, windypanda1 said:

Hmmm, If that doesnt work, lemme see where your modules are pointing to, they might have been changed by someone else before being downloaded.

4 hours ago, Tetragrammaton said:

0x200 means 200 in hex, and 512 in decimal.

You put it the wrong way

Oh I see, I tried setting the offset to 0x3B667 and it still had weird values, so that still didn't fix the problem...

3 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

Hmmm, If that doesnt work, lemme see where your modules are pointing to, they might have been changed by someone else before being downloaded.

FE4 Nightmare modules.zip

Here is the modules I have for FE4.

EDIT: I FIXED IT. I subtracted the offset by 0x200 instead of adding 0x200, and it displays proper values now. 

Edited by windypanda1

4 hours ago, windypanda1 said:

EDIT: I FIXED IT. I subtracted the offset by 0x200 instead of adding 0x200, and it displays proper values now.

Subtracted means that your ROM was headered already. Sorry, should have been more specific on that. Glad you got it working, though!

Edited by lightcosmo

4 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Subtracted means that your ROM was headered already. Sorry, should have been more specific on that. Glad you got it working, though!

Thanks. I'm trying to make a hack that switches around the good guys and the bad guys in the story, and I ran into a problem. Only the Knight Lord class can seize the throne, and there will be no Knight Lord. Do you know how to edit this limit so other classes can seize as well?

Thanks. I'm trying to make a hack that switches around the good guys and the bad guys in the story, and I ran into a problem. Only the Knight Lord class can seize the throne, and there will be no Knight Lord. Do you know how to edit this limit so other classes can seize as well?

Go to 05E63C: Change 22 2D A0 84 to 22 33 A3 84
Go to 05E641: Change 06 to 01
Go to 05E646: Change 2C to 19

This will let Sigurd and Celice seize based on their character ID rather than class-

5 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Go to 05E63C: Change 22 2D A0 84 to 22 33 A3 84
Go to 05E641: Change 06 to 01
Go to 05E646: Change 2C to 19

This will let Sigurd and Celice seize based on their character ID rather than class-

Thanks. Is there a way to directly hex edit the game file rather than use Nightmare?

Thanks. Is there a way to directly hex edit the game file rather than use Nightmare?

Nightmare is the same thing, just showing you the values in Decimal form. But yeah, you can if you'd like.

Hello, I am trying to edit some bits of FE4 text using HxD. I have downloaded FE4EasyText, applied FE4EasyText to an unheadered Japanese ROM, and then applied an english translation patch. I then opened the ROM in HxD, and all I saw was broken text. Did I do something wrong? I also tried applying the english translation patch first then applying FE4EasyText, and it also has broken text. My encoding was set to DOS/IBM-ASCII. 

Edited by windypanda1

I had to do hecking 2 hours of digging around the Char Portrait Editor to find the Young Arvis Sprite. Here are some pointers I've recorded to save others some trouble.

89 00 = Old Arvis
8A 00 = Julius
8C 00 = Ishtar
56 00 = Eltshan
5D 00 = Langobalt

51 = Andrey
52 = Blume
53 = Dannan
54 = Lamia
55 = Arvis
5A = Dithorba    
5B = Mahnya
59 = Pamela
5C = Donovan
54 = Hilda
9B = Slayder

Hello, I have finished around 60% of the hack. Here are the things I need help with:

1. I still need to know how to text edit. I'll have to look more into this by myself tomorrow if no one is willing to lend a hand.

2. The Arvis -> Sigurd conversation in the Prologue is bugged. Arvis will repeatedly try to start a conversation by approaching Sigurd, but the conversation itself won't trigger. The hack I am making switches Arvis and Sigurd's places in the story, and I have swapped their portraits and  char. names to achieve this, but their char. IDs are still the same, so I wonder what is the problem. 

3. Is there a way to edit Holy Blood for any Dynamic Children? I was able to edit it for Seliph since I found someone saying the hex address in this forum, but I also want to edit Tinni's Holy Blood. 

Here are some progress screenshots 😳😳 :

Spoiler

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

Edited by windypanda1