Jump to content
Lamia

Lamia's FE4 stuff

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Lamia said:

units that cannot reach a destination during an event where they spawn and walk will cause a crash on spawning, for one of the following reasons

 - the class has 0 movement (long arches)
 - the unit is given a destination on an unwalkable terrain tile for their class
 - the unit is given a destination past impassable terrain and cannot path

if you've been fiddling with him or his army or the map itself I would suggest rechecking

Thanks. I found the culprit! In the first hour or two I was learning to hack, I messed with the army pointer editor not knowing what it was and thought I saved on a backup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Shin said:

I recall there being a string of values which decided which holy weapons could be passed down. Altenna has the Gae Bolg regardless, but I think the other three are all set to specifically be able to be passed down.

EDIT: I think it's also done by item ID value rather than weapon editor slot, so just using their slots wouldn't work.

 So end of the day you can only pass down 4 holy weapons regardless of what you do? Maybe 3 since Altenna will take away whatever weapon is assigned Gae Bolg's ID.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, not_so_bueno said:

 So end of the day you can only pass down 4 holy weapons regardless of what you do? Maybe 3 since Altenna will take away whatever weapon is assigned Gae Bolg's ID.

as defined in the children editors she begins with the gae bolg in her inventory in case it's not passed down, since it's possible for cuan to not receive it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, not_so_bueno said:

 So end of the day you can only pass down 4 holy weapons regardless of what you do? Maybe 3 since Altenna will take away whatever weapon is assigned Gae Bolg's ID.

The only 4 you can pass down (using only nightmare anyway) are the 4 normally passed down in the regular game.  If you replace Holsety with Thor Hammer, Thor Hammer will just poof in gen 2 (unless you put it elsewhere)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Lamia said:

as defined in the children editors she begins with the gae bolg in her inventory in case it's not passed down, since it's possible for cuan to not receive it

Cuan always shows up with Gae Bolg in chap 5 Yied Desert even if you didn't get it in chap 3.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, hanhnn said:

Cuan always shows up with Gae Bolg in chap 5 Yied Desert even if you didn't get it in chap 3.

cuan and ethlin have separate inventories in that appearance from what you gave them

Edited by Lamia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Lamia said:

cuan and ethlin have separate inventories in that appearance from what you gave them

I mean even if you remove it from Althena's inventory, she still has it anyway.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, General Horace said:

The only 4 you can pass down (using only nightmare anyway) are the 4 normally passed down in the regular game.  If you replace Holsety with Thor Hammer, Thor Hammer will just poof in gen 2 (unless you put it elsewhere)

I may look into the binary hacks and see what kind of stuff they did through nightmare. May find something useful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went through Tordo (having not played it before) with the nightmare modules and whatever they did is all over the place. Player Weapon Editor, Weapon/Staff editor, and Holy Blood Editor are 110% completely revamped. They insure the holy weapons are passed down by changing every single one of those things but as I go through each one, I can't seem to make sense of any of it (Baldo blood unlocks a charm staff, a ring has the Tyfring name/ID on it, etc). I'm not sure how the hacker(s) prevented holy weapons from popping up all over the place either since they change a holy weapon into a regular weapon.

If someone who has played one of the binary hacks could shed some light on what holy weapons specifically get passed down, I'd really appreciate it. 

fe1.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

obviously they repointed the original data

and you're not going to find the holy weapon inheritance in the nightmare modules

it's probably defined in some place wherever the inheritance coding is by their item or inventory numbers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

made an addition of two new nightmare modules, the broken weapon editor and battle positions editor

broken weapon editor allows you to modify the broken weapon for every combination of weapon and rank; HOWEVER dark uses the same entry as light does, unless you change the pointers just before the data at 7E4DC - 7E4EF

battle positions editor lets you change how the characters appear in battle; like you know how ranged swords have them start at a distance, and long range tomes/ballistae start with one character invisible and they're both in the center of the screen? use this to change that stuff

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ctf0wshigwnkpqc/lamianightmare.zip?dl=1

Edited by Lamia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I'm using Nightmare 2 to make my own sort-of rebalance hack for FE4 and one change I'd like to make is to have Ares/Aless be a free knight since he doesn't need lances with the Mystletainn and Dermott/Delmud into a Cavalier. I'm worried that, upon promotion, Ares will "revert" to a paladin and Dermott to a forrest knight. If I only change their base classes in the character and children modules, will this be the case? And if so, how do you use the promotion editor (or another relevant module) to fix it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BumroyV2 said:

So I'm using Nightmare 2 to make my own sort-of rebalance hack for FE4 and one change I'd like to make is to have Ares/Aless be a free knight since he doesn't need lances with the Mystletainn and Dermott/Delmud into a Cavalier. I'm worried that, upon promotion, Ares will "revert" to a paladin and Dermott to a forrest knight. If I only change their base classes in the character and children modules, will this be the case? And if so, how do you use the promotion editor (or another relevant module) to fix it?

The promotion editor is based on character, so just find where Ares and Diarmuid/Dermott/Delmud's promotion data is and change them to Forrest Knight and Paladin.

-----

I want to make the doubling threshold different (5 AS w/o Pursuit, 1 AS with Pursuit). How would I go about doing that? 

I should also bring up what to do to add multiple triangle attacks, and new weapons, classes, item sprites, map sprites, and battle animations, mostly borrowing from Thracia. When I try to expand pointers at all, the game can't handle it and never loads.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, DruidSorc64 said:

The promotion editor is based on character, so just find where Ares and Diarmuid/Dermott/Delmud's promotion data is and change them to Forrest Knight and Paladin.

I apologize for being an utter noob at this, but where would I find the promotion data? The promotion module editor just looks like the image below. Is that how it's supposed to look?

I also can't find promotion data on the character screens, so I'm sure where/i should be looking.

FE4_PE.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, DruidSorc64 said:

That's Nightmare V2; I recommend going back to V1, because that is beyond my knowledge.

Nightmare V1 would make it look a lot more simplified.

That did the trick. Thanks a bunch!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DruidSorc64 said:

I want to make the doubling threshold different (5 AS w/o Pursuit, 1 AS with Pursuit). How would I go about doing that?

ASM nonsense most likely, since doubling without pursuit is not in the vanilla game... unless it was scrapped and the code's somewhere... but I would have no idea

 

1 hour ago, DruidSorc64 said:

I should also bring up what to do to add multiple triangle attacks, and new weapons, classes, item sprites, map sprites, and battle animations, mostly borrowing from Thracia. When I try to expand pointers at all, the game can't handle it and never loads.

there's room for three triangle attacks, I don't know if more are able to be implemented easily
you can have more than three characters in one set for triangle attacks if you adjust the pointers (the pointers are right before the data itself, they're at $7BF88)

I don't know if it's possible to add additional items, and besides, item icon designations are still a mystery to me
you can do what I did for my project and try to make the most of unused items and the like, such as replacing each of the broken weapons with something else, but you would most likely have to unify broken weapons into one or two item numbers by doing so

having custom map sprites is extremely convoluted and not worth doing if you want to have map animations, and I doubt it's possible to add on to the current list

battle animations, while it does have a pointer that you can move it around with, it seems to have a limit on how many entries it will read? I haven't experimented too much

I advise you to try and make the most of what you have by repurposing existing stuff into new stuff, instead of adding on

also, ZSNES cannot read games over 4MB

Edited by Lamia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for the advice. FE4 Binary was what gave me most of those ideas, since they'd be just what I'm looking for, but maybe those can wait while I focus on other things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can make it so that every holy weapon is inherited if you set  $7AD6C (headered rom)  to 05 instead of 0B. If you then want particular weapons to not be inherited you can edit a list of 3 at 7AD55 so that the byte after C9 is the ID of the weapon you want to exclude from inheritance and the byte after F0 is 1E for the first and then 19 and 14 for the second and third if you have more to exclude. You can't exclude more than that. That's usually the most convenient way to edit holy weapon inheritance, versus leaving 7AD6C alone and only editing the values after C9 in the list as an inclusion list.

 

I've been struggling to figure out Lex's Hero Axe event. From messing around with cheat codes I've figured out that it only wants an Iron Axe in his inventory--doesn't care which player weapon index it is--but have been having trouble figuring out the ASM logic. Going to have another go at it again tomorrow since I think I'll have an easier time putting a breakpoint on the input register rather than the size of his inventory. I'd figured that it'd check his current inventory size really early in the logic, but think I probably do want to see it all from the beginning. Probably need to think about where every 28 it could (logically, hopefully it's not silly about that and checking just a random 28 rather than a 28 that refers to an iron axe elsewhere) check is actually stored as well. It might be easier to try changing those one by one to see which breaks the logic as then I'd at least have another address to break on.

 

edit: Nope, no breaks at any logical place with a 28 stored and I've yet to see a constant CMP to a 28. Or a constant AND or BIT on D7 which would set the Zero flag. Breaking on input also doesn't seem to work out so nicely--never lets me run, which I should've seen coming. Best I could do was slow down emulation, set a CPU trace and then hold down A but that's still a lot of ASM to go through. I suspect it has to either be doing a CMP on an address that contains a 28 that I've missed or it's doing the AND or BIT on an address with a D7, which would be hell to find.

 

And actually, now I wonder where lex's inventory even is in RAM since I probably want the address of THAT 28. It wasn't right after the byte that determined his current inventory size, that's for sure. And that byte also must change with each save file since for me Lex's was where Quan's was for somebody else--easy to test by reducing the size and watching items disappear. Another thing to find might be the dialogue event and trace things back from there.

Edited by lysander
tried more things

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, lysander said:

I've been struggling to figure out Lex's Hero Axe event.

I didn't have a need to change this for my project but I went and researched it for you

the whole event is located at (headered) $108E81, with the first event code pointing to assembly at $108EB3

the check is an item number (not inventory number) and is at $108ED7

the event tile itself is at $6CAE5 (there is a copy of it just after it which you should also change iirc)

Edited by Lamia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Lamia said:

I didn't have a need to change this for my project but I went and researched it for you

the whole event is located at (headered) $108E81, with the first event code pointing to assembly at $108EB3

the check is an item number (not inventory number) and is at $108ED7

the event tile itself is at $6CAE5 (there is a copy of it just after it which you should also change iirc)

Thanks, that saved me a lot of time. Did you find it on a japanese wiki? I thought that the wiki on seesaa used to have that information--it was common for the holy blood hacks and such--but the page looked wiped when I just checked. I'll probably be looking for other events too at some point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, lysander said:

Thanks, that saved me a lot of time. Did you find it on a japanese wiki? I thought that the wiki on seesaa used to have that information--it was common for the holy blood hacks and such--but the page looked wiped when I just checked. I'll probably be looking for other events too at some point.

I found it by looking for the pointer for the conversation with lex, then just went to the start of that event

in my project I changed both the conversation and the tile where it's located

Edited by Lamia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Lamia said:

I found it by looking for the pointer for the conversation with lex, then just went to the start of that event

in my project I changed both the conversation and the tile where it's located

Aha, cool. That was going to be the last thing I tried but I'll just do that first now for all the others since it's probably easiest.

 

edit: Oh, it apparently was a CMP #$28 that I just missed because I should've been searching for CMP #$0028 or realistically I should've known to just search for C9 28. Looking at the assembly now Lex's inventory must start at $7E:0587 (headerless, in memory). It contains pointers to whatever player weapons he has equipped with the first normally being 3EFF (his starting iron axe). It checks the remaining uses to be sure that they aren't 0 and then branches its way toward the CMP.

Edited by lysander

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

made some small changes to my nightmare modules. be sure to check for updates for it every once in a long while just in case (gonna start marking its last updated time)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...