Pros and Cons of purchasing new copies of FE7 and FE8??

SYFEA82

After I finish a few more playthroughs and various experimentation on FE13, I want to really explore the history of Fire Emblem through these two titles, given the time frame they were released I was a bit more focused on the Golden Sun Franchise (Golden Sun and Golden Sun: TLA, which reminded me of Suikoden I + II and how the story was interrelated).

Anyway, I am hesitating in buying a used copy (more affordable) as opposed to a new one (too pricey) given that I recently started up my old GBA Pokemon Emerald Cartridge and the whole message of "the internal battery is kaput blah blah" started popping up.

Would this effect any old FE cartridges shelf life even though there aren't any "time sensitive events?"

The Fire Emblem games don't have batteries, but the constant saving after every action wares away at the flash memory much faster than other GBA games. Thus getting a cartridge that soon won't be able to hold a save is a concern, but the price gap between new and used copies is large enough that I'd probably risk it.

Consider purchasing a flash cart in addition to used copies of FE 7 and 8. This way, you will be able to legally play on an emulator (by using your cartridges to make legal ROMs). Battery life won't be a concern because of save states.

Edited by Redwall

The Fire Emblem games don't have batteries, but the constant saving after every action wares away at the flash memory much faster than other GBA games. Thus getting a cartridge that soon won't be able to hold a save is a concern, but the price gap between new and used copies is large enough that I'd probably risk it.

Orange: So you would risk purchasing the newer copies over the old, despite the price difference? Thanks for your input :).

Consider purchasing a flash cart in addition to used copies of FE 7 and 8. This way, you will be able to legally play on an emulator (by using your cartridges to make legal ROMs). Battery life won't be a concern because of save states.

Can you extrapolate a bit further on this "flash cart" technology (I don't want to risk breaking the rules considering I just got here) but does it have to do with the infamous "R___ card"? If so, how would transferring said cartridge data be possible through what I can only hypothesize something similar to a micro SD? (mods/admins, please kindly inform me to refrain further discussion of this if its really "illegal to go any further with said discussion, don't need any warnings at this point of my SF career).

To buy them as new? Yeah I know.... That's how I felt when I was on my quest to search for a really good copy of Suikoden II (still pristine and near perfect mint condition). Granted I lucked out and had to take my own little "journey" to acquire it but it was well worth it in the end. Fortunately, I didn't need to deal with ridiculous Ebay/Amazon prices. Makes me regret not hoping onto the series when it first debut on the GBA. SMH at myself.

Edited by SYFEA82

Yeah, flashcarts run stuff off microsd cards.

And I still have my original Fire Emblem cartridge from 2003, and it still plays perfectly, so I personally can't say that the constant saving is an issue at all. Unless the new copies you tracked down aren't that much more expensive than used, I'd say just go ahead and get used cartridges.

A word of warning if you get a used FE7 cart: Some bootleg copies were made of the European version, with the (fake) code AGB-AF6E-USA. A legit American copy will read, in the lower right, AGB-AE7E-USA.

• 3 weeks later...

My jaw dropped at that price man. D8; Holy crap, how pricy!

I know, but I really want it especially since I still have my original nintendo ds/gba console :).

Yeah, flashcarts run stuff off microsd cards.

And I still have my original Fire Emblem cartridge from 2003, and it still plays perfectly, so I personally can't say that the constant saving is an issue at all. Unless the new copies you tracked down aren't that much more expensive than used, I'd say just go ahead and get used cartridges.

Nice pretty lucky, sounds good I found one on ebay that's reasonable.

A word of warning if you get a used FE7 cart: Some bootleg copies were made of the European version, with the (fake) code AGB-AF6E-USA. A legit American copy will read, in the lower right, AGB-AE7E-USA.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE HEADS UP. I saw, a lot of the AGB-AF6's being sold on both ebay and amazon prime. I'm about to purchase used cartridges of both fe and sacred stones. Do I have to worry about counterfeit copies on sacred stone or not so much?

I haven't actually seen a bootleg copy of FE8, but I've seen plenty of legit copies (which have the two dragon-things behind the title, and AGB-AE8).

Another thing: Bootleg copies of FE7 showed the three lords, didn't they? Legit copies should show a crossed sword and axe (Durandal and Armads) on a beige background.

I think I might have seen a picture of a copy of FE8 that had pictures of Eirika and Ephraim on the cartridge label, and I assume that they're bootleg too. Legit copies of any GBA Fire Emblem game will not have pictures of people on the cartridge label.

Edited by Paper Jam

I haven't actually seen a bootleg copy of FE8, but I've seen plenty of legit copies (which have the two dragon-things behind the title, and AGB-AE8).

Another thing: Bootleg copies of FE7 showed the three lords, didn't they? Legit copies should show a crossed sword and axe (Durandal and Armads) on a beige background.

I think I might have seen a picture of a copy of FE8 that had pictures of Eirika and Ephraim on the cartridge label, and I assume that they're bootleg too. Legit copies of any GBA Fire Emblem game will not have pictures of people on the cartridge label.

Most definitely. As an update, I received my copies of Blazing Sword and Sacred Stones. Having lots of fun with BS, just about to acquire Lyn's throne. Sacred Stones, I'll put on the back burner until I finish Blazing Sword.