Don't you just love the characters in this game?

Junkhead

Let's see ... I have more "characters that I like" in Awakening than in any other FE games that I've played. As a result, I have a less solid "core group" than in other games. Let's use FE7 as an example, although this is relevant for all non-Awakening FEs. I have like three or four characters I like a lot and use every time, three or four characters who I like more than others and will get used if there's space, the lords, a few that I cannot stand at all, and a bunch of characters I do not feel any way about.

Awakening's not like that. I have more characters that I like in general and fewer characters that I like more than anyone else, if at all. Even the ones I like a lot more (Laurent, Miriel, Inigo, Owain, Olivia, Gerome, Cherche, Henry) have no guarantee in being in my party. The only characters that I'm sure I'll use the entire game through are Chrom, Lucina, MU, MU's spouse, Morgan, and the other kid (if MU's male).

I think it's kind of weird, honestly. Sure, I like Awakening's entire cast as a whole better than I like the "entire case" of most other FE games, but it kinda sucks not having a character that I absolutely like above all else that I always want to use. (Who is not MU.)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like most of the characters but my favourites would have to be Owain, Brady, Cynthia, Sumia, Sully, Anna, Basillio, Cervantes and Tiki. I don't like Cordelia unless I name my avatar Chrom and marry her. I also don't like Olivia and really don't like Miriel.

I really like what did with Tiki's, uh...hair...

lololol. I think I know what you mean?

Obviously my OTF (Chrom Lucina and Morgan), Tiki, and her Morgan are going to be my top 5. But as for the rest I love just about every character, except maybe the spotpass characters since I'm not quite as attached to them (yet). My favorites are Henry, Lon'qu, Inigo, Severa, Owain, Nah, Yarne, and.....well, all the children I guess.

The bolded parts andddd.......

I generally like most of the characters in the game. The ones I can say I dislike are either obvious (like Excellus but I think the game planned that too, but he also reminded me of Oliver) or I just find some annoying. Which is like, only two (Sully and Virion). Top favorites would have to be Chrom, male Morgan, Olivia, Sumia, Stahl (though I don't really use him), Lon'qu, Nowi, and Henry. The rest are amusing and I generally like them.

Plus... I was told Stahl was like Touma. That gave him more brownie points. :3

Edited by Cordelia

I also dislike Excellus. >_>

lol we are supposed to hate him. You know, he reminds me of an expy of Oliver crossed with an incompetent version of Varys from ASOIAF. So he makes me giggle.

I actually love everyone save two characters. Severa and Cordelia. Severa is of the "gtfo" variety in terms of personality. Cordelia is the "omfg can you be any more boring?" sort. Everyone else is just awesome. Anna, i like in terms of personality but am not fond of as a unit. Vaike, im rather ambivalent towards. Hes like a watered down version of Reyn from Xenoblade. He almost always winds up on the bench too. Kellam makes me laugh with his "another spotlight stolen.." line.

My real favorites are Virion, Henry, Cynthia, Owain, Tharja, Cherche, Miriel, Lissa, and Libra.

Virion is awesome and i love his design a great deal. I like how hes all flirty but really is quite intelligent. Due to his noble upbringing, he does think he has the right of things, but isnt terribly afraid of admitting defeat or being wrong. I wish we got more on the story of Rosanne and Walhart taking it. :(: But i have a tendency to make sure Virion turns out as a great unit. Yes. There is unfair favoritism there....

Henry is just the best. The best. He cracks me up so much. I love how morbidly funny he is and how he just gives much more of a shit about animals than people. Its darkly humorous and im the sort who can truly appreciate a dead baby joke and gallows humor. As a unit, i like him, despite the sometimes lopsided growths. A reclass usually fixes it though.

Cynthia warms my black little heart. Shes so adorable, energetic, and fun. She wants to be a hero and puts her Saving The World Boots on without a problem. Her supports with Inigo really are what won me over. (and with Gerome) She really has a huge heart for her friends and supports each one of them the best she can. My feels. <3 Plus, she usually performs well as a unit. She totally outclasses her own mum despite the grinding i give to Sumia to get a good Cynthia. Wow.

Owain is just...<3 Hes a huge ham and i love that. Hes hilarious and i love his references to the other games. Plus he, like Cynthia, really cares. He tries to put on a gung-ho face to keep spirits up, mostly his own. Very little can dampen Owain's spirit. As a unit, hes just gr9.

Tharja is creepy awesome. Shes like Henry only not as hilarious. But she can be hilarious in that dark way. I like how shes actually got a heart under all that spooky. When Tharja gives a shit about someone, she really gives a shit. I like that. As a unit, shes a bit lopsided in some stats and is fun to tweak.

Cherche is adorable. Shes really gorgeous and probably the best looking female in the game in my opinion. Her fashion sense is nice too. I love how attached to her wyvern she is. Minerva is family and makes it known. Shes also pure walking snark, especially with Virion. <333 As a unit, she usually needs some minmaxing to be really balanced and great, but its worth it. Out of the box, shes pretty workable.

Miriel is wonderful. She also looks like me. A lot. Her huge vocabulary and FOR SCIENCE! attitude crack me up. She also wants to get to the bottom of a problem and will stop at nothing to do so. Her supports with Lon'qu are among her funniest. Placing statues of women in his tent and stuff. My sides were split. Har. As a unit, shes pretty well rounded on my runs.

Lissa is among the cutest things in the game. She's energetic, hilarious, and caring. Shes so plucky despite everything. She also feels shes got a lot of pressure on her to be like her sister, Emmeryn. She has a bit of angst about not having the Brand of Naga, and trying to be a perfect lady. But it never gets in the way of who she is. As a unit, she can kick serious ass.

Libra is amazing. I love him so much. Hes rather stoic in the sublime way only a holy man could be. Hes got a pretty dark past and wants to do what he can to forget about it. Even going to some extremes. His whole "being androgynous" thing doesnt really eclipse his entire character either. As a unit, hes a little too balanced and that can get in the way at times during more challenging maps. (like Libra getting doubled a lot.) But hes got MAD res so magic users make him lol. A reclass usually fixes the other issues he has.

I like the first generation women better than the first generation men (on average) and I like the second generation men better than the second generation women (again, on average).

I like the first generation women better than the first generation men (on average) and I like the second generation men better than the second generation women (again, on average).

funny, I'm the exact opposite

the only second gen girl I don't really care for is Kjelle, and even she apparently has some pretty hilarious supports with Severa

I'm with Sangyul

While I don't really dislike any of the Gen2 female characters I feel more could've been done with them and I don't really like any of them enough to put them on my favourites list

Except Lucina she's my bb and I love her

On the other hand there's two gen1 dudes I'm just really not a fan of and I really like a lot of the gen1 women

Edited by Thor Odinson

Yeah, far, far, far more than any other cast in the series. I like the supports a lot in this game and the dynamics between the different characters personalities especially helped by the number of supports per character being boosted by the marriage system.

It probably helps by just how accessible the support conversations are in this one. The limits with PoR and especially the GBA's method of building supports basically resulted in me honestly not even really caring about any of the characters because with even C rank taking so long to reach normally for the non-main characters I never even had any incentive to bother raising them.

Edited by arvilino

Lucina's like the only second generation girl that I really like. The others are okay, but I don't particularly like them a lot. Whereas I like all of the male children characters in some degree. However, the only first generation guy that I really like is Henry (and Libra, I guess) whereas I like more of the first generation women.

Since people elaborated the reasons to like the character I guess I will too.

Cordelia is amazing. She's pretty and have a nice personality. I sort of think she's a bit depressing, in a way(she said that she already get used from not having anyone whom she could call a 'friend', I'll just imagine how lonely she is), but other than that, she's a nice and humble person, and she also have some flaws(worrying too much about others and pushes herself too hard). About the unrequited love thing, she gets rid over Chrom in the S supports(and in MU, Donny and Kellam she didn't mention Chrom at all!), and you can always refer 'him' as her husband. She's pretty much a perfect character.

Libra is underrated, despite his great character development. I always liked his personality, being nice and religious at the same time. His dark past is really tragic, perhaps he's one of the most depressing characters in the game besides Kellam. I always think that he's actually a really nice person, but his troubled past is the reason why he thinks his whole personality is just an act; he's scarred and couldn't feel his own kindness. His interactions with Virion is amusing, and so far, his Harvest Scramble convos are really great. Ignoring his past(and one absolute flaw), I think he's a great character and a perfect husband candidate.

I like most of the characters, some more than others. Some are mean, some are nicer, but they are all (mostly) sympathetic, even if I don't "like" them, per se (and even the ones I find grating *cough*Vaike*cough* I still like, at least somewhat).

My favorites are Chrom, Cherche, Cordelia, Henry, Frederick, Sumia, Lon'qu, and I'm probably forgetting a few from Gen 1.

As far as Gen 2 is concerned, I like all of them except maybe Laurent, who is almost as bland as his mother. My faves are Lucina, Gerome, Severa, Morgan (F) (haven't gotten Morgan (M) yet, so who knows), Inigo, Owain...and that's most of Gen 2, actually. There are others, but really, I like all of them, Laurent the least, but still a net plus.

Most of those I won't try to justify (or can't justify, like Severa), but a word about Morgan (F), who is easily one of my most favorite:

The way I read her character is: While she's hilarious, and easygoing, Morgan (F) is also wicked clever, and is always testing just how far she can go without causing the others to completely flip out. She obscures her intelligence behind her air-headedness, and I can never tell whether she's actually serious about being an airhead or just trolling the other children. While she does have a few 'derp' moments (support convos with her mother), but she is on the whole one of the smartest people in the army, IMO.

The only character I really hate - really, really, hate, with a passion - is Tharja, but that's not what this thread is for, is it.

The only character I really hate - really, really, hate, with a passion - is Tharja, but that's not what this thread is for, is it.

No. Bad Euklyd.

I really like the characters in the game. Ricken, Tiki, Cordelia and Cherche not so much.

There are a handful of cool dudes, but for the most part they went way overboard in trying to give people personality. Olivia, Tharja, Sully, Cordelia, the list goes on. I don't have to be reminded of a person's quirk every goddamn minute.

I really delight in Owain and Cynthia with their roleplaying and flights of fantasy. Then I read some of Cynthia's conversations (was it summer of bonds?). Yeah.

Aside from fawning over them and reserving Morgan for them, there's a ton of characters I like. I feared this would go down the Tales avenue of character design (throw a few darts at a board of tropes and remind you of them at every moment) but a lot of the supports did a good job. Kellum is actually really likeable when the game isn't reminding you he's so forgettable.

I like what they did with Tiki's supports, but I wish she had more. D:

Still a few characters that could use more development but overall better than anticipated.

Edited by LunaSaint

Lissa: I really like how if you are a male MU, they seem to try and get you to marry her with her likeable personality, and her S support actually makes sense.

Henry: He's a dark mage, and he's suppose to be dark (As pointed out by Tharja), but he always seems so cheerful, making all of his supports funny, no matter the character. Trust me, even his supports with Lissa are cute, and this is coming from a guy who thinks MU X Lissa is canon.

Nowi: She seems like she will eventually become the recurring character like they've done with Tiki, and dragon kids are cute, right?

Morgan: They genuinely seem like your daughter/son, with how they lost their memories, and have memories of a couple of things(memories of MU for Morgan, memories of tactics on the battlefield for MU).

Anna: Her obsession with money is just comical, even putting money before her husband, which is pretty funny.

I think most characters in this game (besides Excellus so far) are interesting and well done although I dislike some (Cordelia, Henry, Basilio, Anna and Say'ri are my favorites).

Might be just me but some characters annoy me - I dislike the andro/gynophobia characters like Lon'qu (same for Florina in FE7), Lissa's pranks are sometimes too much, Sully... while I think the characters are well done, I don't find everyone lovable.

Be carefull with your wordings, please... For a small moment, I thought you disliked Basilio and Anna...

I noticed that Kellam and Stahl have the exact same support option (and a shared support). That's pretty neat.

In fact, I liked less the characters I thought I would love (Henry, Sully), and my favs were some I completely forgotten about.

...Which leads to Kellam. I realy like this guy. He's a nice guy like Stahl, but nobody ever noticed him... He's calm and serious, but a little insecure.

Also, who here didn't want to hug him at some time, honestly ?

Nowi : I like her even more after her Tharja support. (this support is absolutely great really). She broke the ice around Tharja heart, how great is this.

Also, she have an absolutely horrible wife (sold a s a slave, orphan), but she always stays cheerfull. She really is extremely strong mentally.

Mmm....there's plenty of characters i like in this game. Lucina's probably my favorite. But I enjoy supporting them with a lot of people and learning about them. There's not very many characters I dont like. Vaike. And Gangrel. Although I don't really feel anything towards Miriel. Didn't really learn much. Just that she likes to study people, perform experiments, and teach hill-billies. Consequently I also don't care about Laurent.

I really like all the characters overall but I have to say my favorites have to be (Olivia,Stahl,Lissa,Gregor,Nowi,Owain,Inigo,and Severa I really like Severa) There are still alot of characters that i haven't seen yet in there Supports so my choice's may change but right now those are it.Characters I don't like well Miriel,walhart and gangrel. Miriel because shes like a robot a very serious robot.

Edited by Lightning

They're enjoyable on a shallow level, and nothing more. Some characters I like, some I can't stand, but they're all pretty one-note. There's glimpses of what could have been (Lissa's doubt about her lineage), but they're never really expanded on, or worse, completely cut out from the JP version. I get that they're trying to make characters stand out in comparison to each other, but that came at the cost of losing all sense of realness in the characters, and I personally think that's for the worse.

Edited by Constable Reggie

Oh, I forgot one other thing I totally love about Gaius. His "Eyup" totally reminded me of Big Macintosh from My Little Pony. lol Didn't anyone else think the same?

Maribelle is one of my absolute favorites. I hate to use this phrasing, since I do find it grating (and an egregious violation of grammatical correctness) at times, but I literally have yet to find a pairing for her I didn't like. Every time I reassigned her pairing was due to liking another girl with the guy more rather than disliking Maribelle with them. So far my favorite pairing for her is Vaike because it's actually really neat and they both get development relevant to their personalities and formerly-established relationship with each other. (And also Brady has a whole family resemblance thing going on)

That said, I like Brady as well. I like characters who look tough and intimidating but are really big softies. It's really endearing to me.

I really appreciate Stahl. His lack of gimmick actually made him more likable to me. He ended up feeling more like the other FE games' characters, with a personality that didn't depend on a gimmick to stand out. He's also a really nice and mostly chilled-out dude, so he's pretty neat.

Basilio and Flavia are pretty great. I love how they're royalty (or the equivalent) from a nation other than the hero's (or villain's) who actually help out a lot and even ultimately join your party.

Donnel... He's a hardworking guy who earns his strength through enduring several levels of crappy stats before finally becoming usably strong on-par with other characters. I have a soft spot for characters who prove themselves through hard work, honestly.

Tharja... I actually like her. Someone else summed up why pretty well... The fact that she actually does have a heart under all that creepiness, and when she cares about someone, she really cares about them.

Libra's pretty cool. He's an independent guy who takes the initiative when called for and he seems like he's found his place in the world, but he's still very active and isn't just sitting around basking in it. I find that somewhat enviable, really. of course he's a priest and envy is one of the seven deadly sins He's even a pretty good unit (who comes as one of the raddest classes in the game) if you level him up, so that's nifty.

Henry's darkly hilarious but kind only when I'm in the mood for it do I really like him.

I love the family that Chrom, Olivia, Lucina and Inigo make together. Inigo's father supports are a lot more meaningful with Chrom, and I suppose the same could be said of his supports with Lucina as well.

I also like MU, Panne, Morgan and Yarne. It's sort of a more lighthearted relationship, but they're cute in their own way.

I found Excellus fairly entertaining, actually, although I am a fan of the sassy scheming villain archetype. I also... don't get where all the comparisons to Oliver come from? I mean, he's a fat, egotistical magic-using antagonist but they aren't really all that similar beyond that.

Gangrel. Gangrel is my favorite villain in this game. Maybe it's just me reading into things too much, but from the end of Chapter 9 onward there's this sort of undercurrent of sadness and resentment for the world in his personality that I really like; it lends a good level depth to his character that wouldn't otherwise be present.

I felt really bad for Mustafa. I wish there was some way to finish the chapter without killing him, but alas...

Of course I must mention the transsexual Sage from Paralogue 9. Even though I think they may have just accidentally mixed up your voice files with Mute War Cleric's, you're still pretty rad. Rock on, Transsexual Sage.

Edited by Starlight36