Saleh - Good sage or bad?

Hello!

First, i'm new here and it is my first post in this forum and even my first post written in english( or engrish ;)).

So, I read in some sites that, Saleh is the one of the worst magical character in The Sacred Stones. I'm disagreed.

Saleh maybe has worse magic than Lute, or L'Arachel, but not bad. He has very high skill, speed and higher CON than Artur. His weapones ranks also is good! I'm think his supports is better than L'Arachel! But his true power is very high critical. With support he easy has ~40%!

So what are you think about Saleh?

Statswise he's pretty much on par with all the other potential sages. Admittedly his level 20 stats aren't quite as good as the others, but they're close enough for it not to matter. He also has the added bonus of not requiring training and coming with some solid weapon ranks.

He is a reliable prepromoted unit. Good bases and decent supports. Additionally he can further his power in light magic and is excellent in staves. I personally would pick Lute over him because Female Sages = High MAG cap and high LUK LOL. Regardless, Still a good unit.

If you trained Lute (or promoted Artur/Moulder to Sage), they'd probably be better but Saleh has the advantage of not needing any training whatsoever and has more than enough to never let you down.

I think Saleh is pretty solid as a prepromote unit - which means if you don't want to bother training Ewan from scratch or trained Lute and Arthur, Saleh is pretty solid unit. However, putting this equal (all in the same level and promoted), I think the other three had some winning edge over Saleh? Can't say much on stat wise though. (I mean, for example, everyone basically said that Colm is pretty weak but in my game Colm had a whopping 17str right after promoted, so...)

FE 8 is so easy it doesn't matter which magic user you choose. It is nice that he has a high staff level so you don't have to waste turns to bring it up.

• 2 weeks later...

Eh. I guess stat-wise he's a decent guy especially considering he's a prepromote and thus he doesn't need the time/exp investment as your other potential magic users do, but I always end up using Lute and Natasha with the occasional addition of L'Arachel so personally I don't even have space for the guy.

Granted, mages can be a bother to deal with early game having to shield them from enemy fire all the time so Saleh -is- an option if you want to have a mage but don't want to bother with them early game. He's not amazing, but he's not awful.

I doubt any of the other magic users that "outclass" Saleh offer any significant advantages for your long use of them.

Well, maybe Artur, but that's mostly because of Slayer rather than well, Artur's stats.

• 2 weeks later...

Best magic user in game overall, the only one that comes remotely close is Bishop!Artur.

Agreed. Saleh's quite tough, and very capable I read a wiki article about how Ewan and Lute are way better, but I disagree, especially since I don't grind (in my very first run, I grinded Lute like crazy and she STILL sucked. then Ewan accidentally died in 1 hit because I forgot he was standing there D:). Saleh won't be much worse than them, if at all, and requires much less work while still delivering great results. Now, Artur might be a little rocky at first but he'll turn out very nicely if you make him a Bishop. No grinding necessary due to that slayer ability :D

Edited by mewyeon

Artur never reaches Saleh's strength in a very fast-paced run with Seth getting bosskills, though I promoted him before the split in LTC context before (he took all the stat boosters, his level-ups were great and I also made sure he didn't die on enemy phase where I exposed him to as many enemies as I could get away with because I was in a rush in term of turns). So if we talk about average stats on an LTC run, then Saleh > Artur, though Artur is still a competent user of the Rescue staff.

I don't find Bishop particularly helpful in the maingame because Artur still needs to take a hit before he can counter (which he isn't good at at all) and he still misses OHKOs on some of the enemies he fails to double. Kill something on player phase? We have dudes like Innes for that.

Artur is probobly the best recipient of the guiding ring.

I mean, Moulder/Natasha can wait and lol all the rest except Knoll.[due to summoner utility]

I mean, Bishop!Artur has a shot at getting to warp in efficient play iirc.

To be honest, Innes isn't always going to ORKO monster things PP without the silver bow. Artur is always going to ORKO monsters on PP. [barring things like dracozombies.]

Artur is probobly the best recipient of the guiding ring.

I mean, Moulder/Natasha can wait and lol all the rest except Knoll.[due to summoner utility]

I mean, Bishop!Artur has a shot at getting to warp in efficient play iirc.

To be honest, Innes isn't always going to ORKO monster things PP without the silver bow. Artur is always going to ORKO monsters on PP. [barring things like dracozombies.]

tbqh, the same can be said about Lute pretty much.

There's no reason to save up Silver Bow uses (though Innes wastes a lot of it in his starting chapter as an NPC), and, like I said, an average 10/1 Artur misses OHKOs on some monsters and fails to double several enemy types.

Plus he gets Nidohogg later on, and probably a Killer Bow in between.

Edited by Refa

Except for the fact that Lute gets D staves while Artur gets C?

Well to be honest, Innes gets all the bows he wants without competition because Neimi is a chump and Ross/Garcia/Gerik don't want the promotion paths that allow bows. [Hero for Gerik/Garcia and Zerker/Hero for Ross.]

Lute has the stronger chip and a mount. I've found that Artur can go Sage for the higher magic cap (if you're massaging your level-ups while chewing on those Energy Rings you get) and still get to Warp on time, so Lute can probably do the same. If we get reliability into the picture, Saleh is the only realistic Eirika route Warper assuming a full team, while Artur and Lute will have to suffice with the Rescue staff. Lute will do the better job at being a Rescuer with better magic and a mount.

Hmn, it's been awhile since I've heard of the MK!Lute stuff involving A/B staves.

Ya, I remember Horace doing a draft with Sage!Lute getting to warp and capping magic for ridiculous range.

Well to be honest, Innes gets all the bows he wants without competition because Neimi is a chump and Ross/Garcia/Gerik don't want the promotion paths that allow bows. [Hero for Gerik/Garcia and Zerker/Hero for Ross.]

Excuse me, but only who FE:SS first time, who want to broke some character by promotion and FOOL makes Garcia Hero. Hero get less STR (you waste five points making him hero), but more SPD and SKL(but Garcia has too low grows to maxed it). So only reason to making Garcia Hero is swords, but not including magic swords(wind sword is great, but it is really hard to get not from Isamire) and lanceraver give you nothing. So what is the reason to completely broke Garcia?

Excuse me, but only who FE:SS first time, who want to broke some character by promotion and FOOL makes Garcia Hero. Hero get less STR (you waste five points making him hero), but more SPD and SKL(but Garcia has too low grows to maxed it). So only reason to making Garcia Hero is swords, but not including magic swords(wind sword is great, but it is really hard to get not from Isamire) and lanceraver give you nothing. So what is the reason to completely broke Garcia?

The assumption is that we're doing the things that enable us to complete the storyline and nothing more. Nobody besides Seth, and maybe Saleh, will ram any caps, because FE8 is a short game and Warp comes very soon.

Promoting Garcia to Hero gives him swords to let him perform more adequately against sword-wielding enemies, but tbh I don't see much of a reason to keep using Garcia (but that applies to just about every unit other than Seth, I guess).

Edited by Espinosa