Issues building FE4 Reparations patch from source

Gharnef

I blew up the "Improving the Genealogy Path" thread with this and it was suggested I come over to the Hackers sub ... before we get started, I'm very comfortable with building software from source in a *NIX environment and hopefully you are too.

OK, now to the nitty gritty - I haven't even made script changes to the patch, I'm just trying to build it vanilla in a SLES11 SP2 Linux environment. First issue - fe4p/fe4p.c, the #define macro for row and col vars doesn't like to compile. I manually moved it inline and I can compile this OK.The next big issue is in making the fonts.

s11sp2:~/FE4/fe4transsrc # make menufont

./fe4enc newfont.bin zfont.bin
gmake[1]: *** [zfont.bin] Segmentation fault

If I run this command through GDB I see the issue is here:

Compressing... 3.3%
Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
0x08048d6f in FindMatch (bestmatch=0xbffff514, readahead=0x8061239 "\347\271\ב\177\221o") at lz77.c:80
80 if(*match != *readahead ||

So I tried to fake this by using the Windows fe4enc.exe I've seen floating around by manually generating a zfont.bin from the newfont.bin included in the source package. I had to do this for another font file as well.

I eventually got an .ips (yay!) but when I loaded it, everything was messed up in the game (boo!).

OK, starting over. "make spotless" then just did a "make". All goes well until

gmake[1]: Entering directory `/root/FE4/fe4transsrc/dcenc'
../bin/65816 -c -hi dcenc.asm
[entering second pass]
assembling code at $91FAB0...finished at $91FBD3.
*** glibc detected *** ../bin/65816: double free or corruption (fasttop): 0x08063b20 ***
Soo... Has anyone successfully compiled this from source in Linux to make a working .ips ? Anyone know why you'd make script, or make dump?

I realize that post was a mess :) SF, Let's start over.

One thing I don't understand about compiling the project is newfont.bin and the compression. The package includes newfont.bin, which if I understand correctly, is just a new uncompressed font created for inclusion in the patch which overwrites the old Japanese tiles in the ROM. In Linux, fe4enc segfaults during while compressing this file. I can compress it in Windows using fe4enc.exe from a post by twilkitri's then copy the compressed one back into Linux to make it build, but that seems to screw things up bigtime when I make an IPS.

Has anyone gotten fe4enc to work on Linux?

Well... in case anyone cares, I hacked at the 65816 cross compiler and with some other edits and the font compression in Windows thing, built a patch that is mostly correct.