Thoughts on Gale

Hey all!

just thought I'd start a discussion on this quirky character. He is clearly labeled as an enemy, but his AI is so screwy it's hard to consider him a threat. And he clearly has ties to Allied army with Miredy there. Yet you can't recruit, and unlike other sympathetic enemy characters in the series, you're not even required to kill him. He's just....there. Kill him, spare him, it makes no difference as he never shows up again.

I can't figure him out, and wanted to hear other people's thoughts. I mean first off, who is he loyal to? If he was loyal to Guinevere, he'd join you. If he was loyal to Zephiel, then you'd think (if he survived the battle 21, where appears with Murdoch) then he'd appear later in battle 22 to defend the king, or at least in 23 with Brunya "and the remainder of the army." I mean, if the army is there, and he isn't... does he die off screen or something? If you let him live, he what, falls of his mount in mid air by accident? He seems to be loyal to Murdock (which doesn't make sense in of itself as he's not a noble or anything) so what does he do after Murdock's death? I keep thinking his duty would be complete at that point, and he would be free to be with Miredy. If not as an allied army soldier, than at least a civilian off screen.

It seems a glaring dangling thread, an resolved issue we don't have answers to at this point. The only thing that makes sense is that he is scripted to be killed in battle in 21... even if you spare his life. So if you don't kill him, he needs to die some other way. It makes me wonder... was he the type of warrior who would commit suicide for failing to protect his 'lord' (in this case, Murdoch).

I don't have the answers, just ideas. What do you think? Why does he never show up again?

I keep hearing that his AI is screwy, but I wish he would honestly leave me alone; I've been stuck on his chapter for months since I either move cautiously but too slow to get the gaiden chapter or I rush to finish the chapter and someone dies. And HE is a big reason for all of my troubles; he comes out as soon as I get near Murdock and will always, without fail, murder someone with the help of the never ending swarm of randomly generated reinforcements. My god, I've played through a bunch of hard levels in the FE series that I eventually overcame with better tactics and patience, but when you keep getting screwed by the AI no matter what you do, I just really want to murder Gale and the whole stupid level (but I can't, because I have to think of poor Miledy...)

Gah....why couldn't we just recruit him??? It would save so many headaches.... :facepalm:

Because Gale is basically in the same line of thinking as people like Camus, Serena, etc. Loyal to their own cause, in Gale's case, that being Bern, that nothing we can do will change anything about it.

In fact, I'm pretty sure that once Murdock kicks the bucket, Gale if he's still alive would have to assume command, since he's a fellow Dragon General at that point, having gained the position once Narcian died. At the least, it can be implied that he has to, as some sort of military protocol or something. After all, as far as the gameplay is concerned, it's over once you seize, but of course from a story standpoint the thing can't end if they're still soldiers around. So assuming Murdock dies first, story-wise Gale would have to assume command, and the battle would continue, and of course he's next in line to be killed, unfortunately.

So what I say is, at least from what I see and can infer, regardless if you don't kill him in the gameplay section, Gale still dies, except now off-screen or something. Though I agree that they should have at least addressed it in-story.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

• 4 years later...