Gharnef's Improved FE4 Translation Patch

Gharnef

* UPDATE 8/3/2014 *

Last version I have:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vvl2vue65syyx85/fe4.ips

Source TGZ: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6vhuw0xs137yn86/fe4-gharnef-improved-patch.tgz

* UPDATE 5/19/2014 *

Holy crap it's been a while... I haven't checked this in ages. I also know the location of the patch below is inaccessible, I don't own that webspace any more. I'm going to see what I still have left from this project (I built it in a special Virtual Machine with all kinds of hackery) and I'll find somewhere to dump it all on the web.

* PATCH UPDATED 5/31/2013 1:54 PM EST *

* Official changelist started! *

Improved FE4 Translation Patch

Using Twilkitri's work as a basis, I've started undertaking the task of further improving the Fire Emblem Genealogy of the Holy War English Translation patch.

But Gharnef, why? The current patch is awesome!

There are many things now officially translated by NoA in the Fire Emblem mythology which weren't when the existing patch was created. There are also a few other things the community thinks could be improved upon judging by the conversations we've had so far so we can address those too.

It's cool if you don't like my patch and don't want to use it - we can still be friends!

Cool! So what changes have you already made, and what's planned?

• Phrases, dialog, more
    • Dark God->Loptyr
    • Lopt->Lopto
    • Dark Warlords->Deadlords
    • Arvis, you bastard!->Arvis! DAMN YOU!!
    • LordKnt->KntLord
    • JrLord->Lord
    • JrLd->Lord
    • Lord[spx]Knight[exit]->Knight[spx]Lord[exit]
    • NaRgA->NaGa
    • Narga->Naga
    • sacred marking appear somewhere->sacred marking called the Brand appear somewhere
    • "descendant of Saint Heim by the mark on her forehead."->"descendant of Saint Heim by the Brand on her forehead."
    • but the existence of the markings on your->but the existence of the Brand on your
    • Subdue[spx]Barhara->Subdue[spx]Belhalla
    • Mummy'll be right back, 'k?->Mummy will be right back, 'kay?
    • They're callin' me a traitor->They're calling me a traitor
    • And Grandbell's sent troops to take me in->And Grannvale sent troops to take me in
    • TOR HAMMER->MJOLNIR
    • charisma->charm
    • Great Shield->Pavise
    • assassinated at the Grannvaler front->assassinated at the Grannvale front
    • (sigh...) My boyfriend->(sniff...) My boyfriend
    • "shall be done for Serli-" -> "shall be done for Seli-"
    • King Eldigan -> Lord Eldigan
    • (Arvis) "The Fire God Fala" -> "Crusader Fala"

• Items
    • THammer->Mjolnir
    • Tor Hammer->Mjolnir
    • Swanchik->Helswath
    • Swanchika->Helswath
    • Iron Cutter->Armorslayer
    • Ichival->Yewfelle
    • FFlame->Valflame
    • Fala Flame->Valflame
    • Mistoltn->Mysteltn
    • Mistoltin->Mystletainn
    • Lopt (weap)->Loptyr
    • Narga (weap)->Naga
    • Iron[spx]Cutter->Armorslayer
    • Cutter->Armrslyr
    • Clipper->Wingslyr
    • Wing[spx]Clipper->Wingslayer
    • Wing Clipper->Wing Slayer
  • People
    • Serlis->Seliph
    • Midir->Midayle
    • Aideen->Adean
    • Jamka->Jamke
    • Fury->Ferry
    • Levin->Lewyn
    • Shagaal->Chagall
    • Lachesis->Raquesis
    • Eltshan->Eldigan
    • Brigid->Briggid
    • Claude->Claud
    • Byron->Vylon
    • Ida->Aida
    • Aless->Ares
    • Cuan->Quan
    • Altenna->Altena
    • Fin->Finn
    • Trabant->Travant
    • Alvis->Arvis
    • Manfloy->Manfroy
    • Loputousu->Loptyr
    • Ira->Ayra
    • Ethlin->Ethlyn
    • Ardan->Arden
    • Leaf->Leif
    • Oifaye->Oifey
    • Scathach->Ulster
    • Sety (child)->Ced
    • Lakche->Larcei
    • Eins->Mus
    • Zwei->Bovis
    • Drei->Tigris
    • Vier->Lepus
    • Fuenf->Draco
    • Sechs->Anguilla
    • Sieben->Equus
    • Acht->Ovis
    • Neun->Simia
    • Zehn->Gallus
    • Elf->Canis
    • Zwoelf->Porcus
    • Holsety->Forseti
    • Myra->Maira
    • Sigyn->Cigyun
  • Places
    • Nodion->Nordion
    • Barhara->Belhalla
    • Barhar (castle name)->Belhala
    • Lenster->Leonster
    • Silesia->Silesse
    • Isaac->Isaach
    • Grandbell->Grannvale
    • Tilnano->Tirnano
    • Tilnanogue->Tirnanog
    • Grandbellian Holy Knight->Grannvale Holy Knight
    • Grandbellians->Grannvalers
    • Grandbellian cowards->Grannvale cowards
    • Silesian->Silessian
  • TODO/discussion points
    • Draco/Wyvern or is this all set
    • bastard/dastard?
    • Julius death QuOtE!1
    • What to do about Tailto, other unliked names?
    • The bros have a text wrapping error. (Joha*)->Verify my fix
    • Loptyr Sect -> Loptyrian?
    • HiPriest -> Bishop
    • Langobalt -> Langbart->Had to revert, too many letters
    • Blade/sword/brand
    • Ch 5 convo reptor "what are"
    • Missing translations - welcomeback, ending, intro
    • Graphics replacement?->holy blood, title, et cetera
    • 'Baldo' -> 'Baldur' et cetera
    • the dialogue is all messed up if Seliph attacks Hilda in Chapter 10
    • ending freeze
    • I think I noticed some weird convo re: gender of Cigyun/Maira in Ch 1 ... ? Need to review, maybe I didn't

Can I try it out?

Sure! Here's a link to the latest work. This is ALPHA, I haven't seen any issues in playtesting so far but if you do, please PLEASE let me know - provide screenshots, save states, etc.

Just use a CLEAN Japanese ROM and Snes9x, save your current .ips file off somewhere safe and drop this file in the same directory as your ROM. Then, reload the game (not reset, that's not enough!) and enjoy.

DOWNLOAD: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vvl2vue65syyx85/fe4.ips

Source TGZ: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6vhuw0xs137yn86/fe4-gharnef-improved-patch.tgz

Edited by Gharnef

• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Serlis was on the official FE website before anything was localized. So it wasn't technically a "fanslation". It was technically like what you did with "Tiltyu --> Tailto".

Ehh... I know it's a difficult job because the localization team made a lot of changes...

And I guess there's no other media left to get as a "source" but the official art... but "Tiltyu" to "Tailto" is still irking me... xD

I'm guessing that "Teeny" would probably be something they'd do with a weird spelling or a completely new name. But it is an actual name so who am I to complain?

Moving on.

Knight Killer and Armor Cutter definitely need to be changed to their localized counterparts.

My opinion about Wing Clipper though, is to stay the way it is. I mean, IMHO "Wingslayer" doesn't... have that... same "oomph" as the other ones. I guess try to come up with a different one?

but "Tiltyu" to "Tailto" is still irking me... xD

You and me both, haha. But if we're going 'official,' it's gotta be in there.

Thanks for the other suggestions. 'Clipper' is probably OK because there isn't really anything like that item in newer FE games - that just deals critical damage to flyers and not all 'beasts' - right? I've not finished FE9 and haven't played FE10 so I could be wrong.

if being consistent with official translations is the priority here, there's not much discussion to be had. horseslayer/ridersbane, armourslayer, and runesword.

wrt dragons/wyverns: the localisation team keeps going back and forth on this, even within the same continuity. make it whatever you want, but I guess they're "currently" wyverns.

wrt naga/narga: I dunno, isn't the katakana ナーガ? if it is, it's so clearly meant to be naga I don't know what else to say.

wrt wing clipper: if there are no obvious inaccuracies, don't fuck with it. clipper sounds cool anyway.

wrt changelog: looks well organised enough to me. the list isn't extensive enough to warrant anything elaborate.

wrt naga/narga: I dunno, isn't the katakana ナーガ? if it is, it's so clearly meant to be naga I don't know what else to say.

There's nothing clear about that kana. "Narga" is just as legit for it as "Naga".

However, since it's "Naga" in Awakening, that's what you should go with.

There's nothing clear about that kana. "Narga" is just as legit for it as "Naga".

However, since it's "Naga" in Awakening, that's what you should go with.

it's clear because naga is a thing, and narga isn't

and also fe13 and whatnot.

it's clear because naga is a thing, and narga isn't

and also fe13 and whatnot.

for the sake of being picky, "Narga" actually was a thing at least for a while - that's the rendition of the name printed on the in-game holy blood charts. more recent japanese sources like the Museum website go with Naga instead, as obviously does the English side of the series from FE11 onward

also there's a damn good reason why the last few patches didn't use the name "Teeny"; granted, Tinny isn't all that much better but :/ i can generally get behind where this patch is going (even if the response to "Serlis" is a little disproportionate), but the wholesale reversion to NoJ names for those who didn't show up in FE13 is kinda ehh (though going back to "Chagall" is good)

Both 2 legs and 4 legs versions mounts exist in the game so labelling them all wvyerns or all dragons is odd though the GBA FEs already did exactly that.

I suggest the 4 legs variety be called Dracoknights/Dracolords or something and the 2 legs variety be called just Wyvern Knights. I realize that 'Draco' means dragons anyway but it's something. There should be a clear distincetion between the Dragon mounts and the other dragon tribes.

FE13 says 'Naga,' so just use that.

As for Dragon->Wyvern,

I suggest the 4 legs variety be called Dracoknights/Dracolords or something and the 2 legs variety be called just Wyvern Knights. I realize that 'Draco' means dragons anyway but it's something. There should be a clear distincetion between the Dragon mounts and the other dragon tribes.

I agree with this^

As I said before, I think Ridersbane is better than Horseslayer.

Armor Cutter->Armorslayer of course.

I'm not sure about Earthsword->Runesword. They share the same function, but it seems like the Earthsword is its' own thing rather than just another Runesword, if that makes any sense.

Wingslayer sounds better than Wing Clipper in my opinion. 'Clipper' doesn't sound threatening at all.

What about Light Sword? If you're changing Earth Sword to Rune Sword, change Light Sword to Light Brand (I think that's the most recent name).

Then again, since there's an 8 character limit on names, it might as welll jsut stay 'Light'.

Edited by Ranger Jack Walker

I would agree with the Light Sword to Light Brand.

...I think this actually the approach FE6 patch did when it came to weapon names. Dialogue translation quality is another story.

Otherwise, they would have used "Killer Sword" rather than "Killing Edge".

What about Ligth Sword? If you're changing Earth Sword to Rune Sword, change Light Sword to Light Brand (I think that's the most recent name).

I'm inclined to go Light Sword -> Light Brand and keep Earth Sword as is... The Soothing Sword from FE13 is close in function but not in appearance.

FE13 says 'Naga,' so just use that.

I'm also inclined to go with Naga over Narga.

-What about Dew/Deu?

That's part of the base patch I'm working from.

for the sake of being picky, "Narga" actually was a thing at least for a while - that's the rendition of the name printed on the in-game holy blood charts. more recent japanese sources like the Museum website go with Naga instead, as obviously does the English side of the series from FE11 onward

also there's a damn good reason why the last few patches didn't use the name "Teeny"; granted, Tinny isn't all that much better but :/ i can generally get behind where this patch is going (even if the response to "Serlis" is a little disproportionate), but the wholesale reversion to NoJ names for those who didn't show up in FE13 is kinda ehh (though going back to "Chagall" is good)

Good points on changing names of ppl like Tinny/Teeny... I think the goal here is to move inline with the current official names as much as is possible, so I'd be inclined to stay with the change. Hypothetically, who's to say they don't include Teeny in future DLC or future FE games? Likely won't happen given the Japanese DLC for FE13 comes out well before it hits NA so we'd know ahead of time, but still... else in a few years some poor schmuck could have to pick up where I left off because Tinny's now mentioned in English as Teeny.

Edited by Gharnef

It's sad because i found that most of the official localisation for the country is terrible (Belhalla, seriously?), also Claud seems stupid since the real name is Claude but whatever. And I think too that the Earth Sword sould go as Runesword because it feels weird to have an Earth Sword but not Earth magic, the other are Light/Wind/Fire/Thunder, or maybe change it to Dark Sword so it would match?

It's sad because i found that most of the official localisation for the country is terrible (Belhalla, seriously?)

I hear you.

The good thing is that if people like the previous patch better, they can keep using it and it won't offend me one bit. :D I'm doing this for myself primarily (yay OCD tendencies).

And I think too that the Earth Sword sould go as Runesword because it feels weird to have an Earth Sword but not Earth magic, the other are Light/Wind/Fire/Thunder, or maybe change it to Dark Sword so it would match?

Changing the earth sword's name to dark sword makes no sense because it casts a light spell.

Yeah I just remembered it after posting... And about that what are you going to do with the Resire Spell? Translate it to Nosferatsu? Because obviously it's the official name for it but it sound just wrong for a light spell to have this name :/

Yeah I just remembered it after posting... And about that what are you going to do with the Resire Spell? Translate it to Nosferatsu? Because obviously it's the official name for it but it sound just wrong for a light spell to have this name :/

Didn't stop them from doing it on FE9 and FE10.

And since the OP's goal is to make it match up to the localizations, I think that's exactly what they're going to do.

Edited by shadowofchaos

The patch I'm using as the base already does Rezire -> Nosferatu, and Nosferatu is Light in newer games IIRC (before FE13).

Yeah a quick check of the wiki shows flip-flops every so often: Light -> Dark (FE6) -> Light (FE9) -> Dark (FE13)

http://fireemblem.wikia.com/wiki/Nosferatu

Edited by Gharnef

The patch I'm using as the base already does Rezire -> Nosferatu, and Nosferatu is Light in newer games IIRC (before FE13).

Yeah a quick check of the wiki shows flip-flops every so often: Light -> Dark (FE6) -> Light (FE9) -> Dark (FE13)

http://fireemblem.wikia.com/wiki/Nosferatu

Well, every Light Mages is a Dark Mage in Awakening, so in a way, they are consistent...

Are you also going to change the names on the map to there official translations? I remember that the map in the beginning of the game says "Kingdom of Grandbell". Are you changing that to Grannvale?

I'mma jump right in here for a sec. I'm more than a little sleep deprived right now, so forgive me if this all comes out in a jumble:

Don't forget to change any references to Holy Blood - Baldo is now Baldur, Holsety is now Forseti, and Lopotusousosusouosuo is now Loptyr. You may also want to think about changing 'Fala' to something that more closely matches 'Valflame' (like perhaps 'Vala'), though given all the pissing and moaning that occurred when Twilkitiri made other such small changes you may want to get more opinions about it.

Also don't forget other little tidbits like the names of the Deadlords, the adjective form of Jugdral being 'Jugdrali', Eldigan being the 'Lionheart' instead of the 'Lion King', and Seliph being the 'Scion of Light' instead of the 'Earl of Light'.

If you were using Twilkitiri's patch as the base, there was still a lingering use of 'Ira' (instead of Aira, which you are changing to Ayra) that I noticed in one of her Brave Sword-get conversations.

[spoiler=Screenshot]2QKCB.png

Something about Grannvaleians looks off to me, maybe someone who knows more about English than me can tell if it's a valid spelling?

Also I'm gonna play through it and whatnot.

Edit: An obvious missed name(since it's not in your bullet points): Fin wasn't changed to Finn.

2QLoq.png

Edited by PKLucas531