Gharnef's Improved FE4 Translation Patch

Gharnef

I actually don't see why you're changing away from Brigid, considering the name has mythological reference.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brigid

They seem to be prioritizing 'the names used in the TCG/official (Japanese) artwork' over 'the intended mythological reference.'

Granted, considering that it seems NOA didn't notice that playing around with the letters in Rackesis can get you one of the fates, it is true that we cannot assume that NOA would correct every reference used within the game. Which is, uh, a lot.

• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

okay, sadly the patch is still not working for me, even through soft-patching. i'm at a loss here; every other iteration of the FE4 patch has worked just fine for me so far and this release uses the exact same creation tools, not to mention nobody else seems to be having this problem. i guess i'll attempt a fresh download of the patch; perhaps that's what went wrong

it's definitely a clean ROM; i always have a spare clean ROM on hand, clearly labeled as not being patched, and i've consistently made sure that's the one i'm duplicating to apply new patches

sorry for the trouble here; normally i wouldn't complain, but this hasn't happened before and i'm rather stumped. i'm tempted to just give up for now and not worry about it; my life doesn't exactly depend on seeing "serlis" removed from my copy of the game and i'm content to wait and try the next release

Edited by bookofholsety

Based on Armorslayer and Horseslayer though, you should use Wingslayer. Why start to establish a pattern and then break it?

I like it.

Some stuff in Chapter 3 that looks a bit off, don't really have screenshots.

Left over from the old patch, agreed there's some weird stuff like that in there.

Finn is still called Fin in the new patch.

Seconding this, just call it Bishop.

Didn't get to Finn yet, and good idea on HiPriest -> Bishop

I believe the reason this patch is even being made is to be more in-line with the recent FEs/make stuff recognizable by newcomers, so Bishop has that "familiarity" to it I guess?

Correct.

Was Claude -> Claud really necessary? Tailto? Anything that isn't translated by NoA isn't "official," you should've stuck with what they had and just added the actual official translations instead of pointlessly and randomly undoing naming conventions.

But if you're going to upend everything, at least have the decency to improve things. Adding a g for Brigid and taking of an e for Claude, how pointless can these changes be?

I see your point. Here's a question - how do I know what is NoA official and what isn't? If I throw the text "Tiltyu" into Google, the first hit is: fireemblem.wikia.com/wiki/Tailto‎ ... so both could be acceptable I guess for newcomers...

Now I know as well as anyone else that not everything on the interweb is fact, especially when it comes to freely-editable, non-scholarly sources of information like Wiki pages. Hell, I think Tailto is just as stupid as everyone else but my goal for the patch is accuracy and consistency. Where did Tailto come from if it's not official in some capacity?

TASTE MY HELSWATHA

His name sticks out of the box since he's breaking the 8 character limit, too. Not sure if this is leftover from the old patch since I haven't played in ages.

LMFAO at Helswatha. It's been fixed. Langobalt should go back to Langbart I guess...

RE: people with patch issues... I don't have an immediate answer for you but I'll build a new one and upload soon.

Edited by Gharnef

Since you made Wingslayer a thing, I'm obligated by country code to test this out. Have you changed a lot of the skill names to their new translations? That's really what made the game unplayable for me originally, especially when they lacked descriptions xP

so excited people are really taking care into giving this game a proper english translation!

just registered to ask if you guys were planning on translating the marriage dialogues and the ending. Also fixing the freeze glitch which occurs during the ending.

ive been waiting so long for a 100% complete translation of this game so i can make repos for my friends to enjoy.

so excited people are really taking care into giving this game a proper english translation!

just registered to ask if you guys were planning on translating the marriage dialogues and the ending. Also fixing the freeze glitch which occurs during the ending.

ive been waiting so long for a 100% complete translation of this game so i can make repos for my friends to enjoy.

Thanks for your interest! To be honest, I wasn't planning on translating the completely untranslated things because I know something like a 3 year old's equivalent Japanese. I can look at the freeze glitch eventually, probably won't get to that until I'm happy with the state of the translation improvements.

Haven't had the time to play today until now, mind saying what's in the new patch? It helps when I'm looking for slip-ups in text and stuff.

Whew... a lot. Next few days I'm going to formalize a list. Just updated the patch - redownload it.

Some stuff I know I did - slayer weapons, Lopto/Loptyr, Finn, JrLord->Lord, LordKnt -> KntLord ... all kinds of stuff.

Edited by Gharnef

Hmm, in the Yied Desert Quan/Ethlyn conversations, they mention Fin a lot, none of which were changed to Finn. I can't check if Fin was changed to Finn in the status menu since he's kinda out of the party for now.

In the next scene right after, with Arvis talking to Manfloy, Arvis says "All members of your Lopto Sect," which wasn't changed to Loptyr.

I know I have the most recent patch since I have the fixed Helswatha and Langbart names:

2TGiC.png

Halfway through Ch 5, atm.

So many edits, but found another thing:

2TGlp.png

Going by the wiki names, Saint Myra should be Saint Maira: http://fireemblem.wikia.com/wiki/Maira

2THIq.png

WHERE IS DASTARD?!?!

Edited by PKLucas531

Hmm, in the Yied Desert Quan/Ethlyn conversations, they mention Fin a lot, none of which were changed to Finn. I can't check if Fin was changed to Finn in the status menu since he's kinda out of the party for now.

In the next scene right after, with Arvis talking to Manfloy, Arvis says "All members of your Lopto Sect," which wasn't changed to Loptyr.

I know I have the most recent patch since I have the fixed Helswatha and Langbart names:

2TGiC.png

Halfway through Ch 5, atm.

So many edits, but found another thing:

2TGlp.png

Going by the wiki names, Saint Myra should be Saint Maira: http://fireemblem.wikia.com/wiki/Maira

2THIq.png

WHERE IS DASTARD?!?!

Gah! I didn't change dastard -> bastard, I swear! I'm gonna make sure all bastards -> dastard because yeah.

Maira - great catch.

"Lopto sect" is right I believe - Loptyr is the Dark Lord, Lopto describes the cult people and the nation. http://fireemblem.wikia.com/wiki/Lopto_Sect

Fin/Finn should be fixed.

Also, I changed MageKnt to DarkKnt. The MageKnt uses tomes and swords, same as Dark Knight.

Thanks for all of your input. I have time to hack this up, I don't have time right now to play through start to finish.

Patch has been updated - please redownload. Thanks!

Edited by Gharnef

Also, I changed MageKnt to DarkKnt. The MageKnt uses tomes and swords, same as Dark Knight.

I can see the logic with the weapons, however they don't wield dark tomes, therefore Dark Knight is innaccurate. Mageknight actually is the correct term as they wield anima magic (mage) and they fight with weapons (knight) therefore you should revert that back to Mage Knight.

I can guarantee almost universal agreement on this. Also the upcoming engine will probably have MK's wielding swords and anima so it makes sense.

Edited by Klok

I can see the logic with the weapons, however they don't wield dark tomes, therefore Dark Knight is innaccurate. Mageknight actually is the correct term as they wield anima magic (mage) and they fight with weapons (knight) therefore you should revert that back to Mage Knight.

I can guarantee almost universal agreement on this. Also the upcoming engine will probably have MK's wielding swords and anima so it makes sense.

FE:A's Dark Knight doesn't wield Dark magic and uses Swords and Tomes... same as a Mage Knight.

Unless I'm sniffing glue and they can use dark tomes... time to fire up the 3ds.

EDIT I might be sniffing glue but they can't use dark tomes. Also, the description is "A seasoned, mounted mage who wields tomes and swords."

Edited by Gharnef

I was under the impression they did, though I could be wrong. Either way, in FE4 they don't wield dark magic and they aren't colored pitch black so it's not very accurate. There's nothing "dark" about them, unlike in FEA where the map sprite is black and so is their battle animation.

Edit: http://www.serenesforest.net/fe13/class.html

The Dark Knight is just FEA's way of giving a second promotion route for Dark Mages. The only reason they don't wield dark magic is because with mounted ability it would be overpowered. By all means, they should be able to wield it.

Edited by Klok

Popping in to say I like the idea of correcting names and such (even if I don't like some of the localized names, but I'm sure you'll hear enough of that)

Changing Mage Knight to Dark Knight, though, I dunno if I'd agree with that. Aside from what Klok said, FEA Dark Knights also promote from Dark Mages while FE4 Mage Knights can't--they only come from Anima Mages.

I think relying on FEA for character name localizations, that's fine. Same for skill names. Relying on it for the class names (Especially since there were terrible liberties taken in too many cases >.>), not so much.

On the relevant note of the dragon mounts, I personally think you should have either Dragonknight->Dragonmaster and Wyvernknight(enemy) or Wyvernknight->Wyvernlord and Dragonknight(enemy). Buttttt I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing here, having played so little of FE4 ^-^;

Popping in to say I like the idea of correcting names and such (even if I don't like some of the localized names, but I'm sure you'll hear enough of that)

Changing Mage Knight to Dark Knight, though, I dunno if I'd agree with that. Aside from what Klok said, FEA Dark Knights also promote from Dark Mages while FE4 Mage Knights can't--they only come from Anima Mages.

I think relying on FEA for character name localizations, that's fine. Same for skill names. Relying on it for the class names (Especially since there were terrible liberties taken in too many cases >.>), not so much.

Ya know what, agreed. While semantically correct in function, "Dark Knight" evokes a non-anima user... I'm going to undo it, let's pretend this never happened :)

"Lopto sect" is right I believe - Loptyr is the Dark Lord, Lopto describes the cult people and the nation. http://fireemblem.wikia.com/wiki/Lopto_Sect

FE13's script begs to differ; quoth Salem, an actual ex-member of said cult: "I was once a Loptyrian priest..." (source)

this is still somewhat open to interpretation, arguably - you could just go with "Loptyr Sect", or you could take the Grimleal route and try and spin "Loptyrian" as the clan name. either way, you should NEVER trust the wikia on things like this; they're just plain awful

Thanks for your interest! To be honest, I wasn't planning on translating the completely untranslated things because I know something like a 3 year old's equivalent Japanese. I can look at the freeze glitch eventually, probably won't get to that until I'm happy with the state of the translation improvements.

if you want, i'd love a shot at giving untranslated things a translation. i'm no professional by any means, but writing is pretty much my only skill so i should be able to shit out something that at the very least is better than the FE6 patch's script :P

(i also wouldn't mind going through and revising the rest of the script, but that's obviously less urgent)

Edited by bookofholsety

I'd stick with Mage Knight, it sounds better and makes more sense. I didn't like the fact they call them Dark Knights in FEA.

You guys swayed me, it is pretty dumb since they can't use dark frickin tomes. If you D/L the patch now, it's back to MageKnt.

Following up on a comment from Arch, can someone explain where "Tailto" came from? I've played all but the NES and Radiant FEs, so I'm a vet of the series but haven't followed the Japanese media and other stuff (like the Super Tactics Book, manga or Treasures) very closely.