Gharnef's Improved FE4 Translation Patch

Gharnef

I want to point out that the ingame romanization of the Lord character in the first Fire Emblem is Marth. Even though his name going by the kana and setting of the original refers to Mars, a war god.

Point is, even if a name really can be shown to refer to a mythological figure, that doesn't automatically mean the name would be spelt the same as said figure's name ingame or in other sources that come from IS.

Well said, this is a better way of putting what I was trying to get at with my Brigid/Briggid explanation.

• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't had a chance to try the new patch until now.

However, the game was running too slow.

I tried the unpatched rom and it was still slow, so it's not the patch that's not working.

I think it's either the emulator, or my computer(it has recently been damaged, physically).

I'm not going to continue playtesting until I get this figured out.

By the way, you should update the first post with the new patch and changes that have been made.

In that case, who decides what is "stupid"? I'd go with the Museum not being official either, personally.

I dunno, we all should? There was universal dislike for "Tailto" so I took it as being stupid :)

I need to get my act together and work on a formal list of changes that have been made and get other suggested ones out there too. Just been too busy with work.

Edited by Gharnef

I haven't had a chance to try the new patch until now.

However, the game was running too slow.

I tried the unpatched rom and it was still slow, so it's not the patch that's not working.

I think it's either the emulator, or my computer(it has recently been damaged, physically).

I'm not going to continue playtesting until I get this figured out.

By the way, you should update the first post with the new patch and changes that have been made.

Sorry to hear about your computer and thanks for playtesting up until now. First post patch link always points to newest but yeah, a formal list is my next work order.

I can imagine the graphics are still WIP, but I couldn't help but comment...

I like what you did with the FE: Awakening styled logo. On the other hand, the subtitle looks a bit too tiny. Would it help if "the" was on the 2nd line along with "Holy War"?

Also, there should be Baldur in the Holy Blood chart.

Makes me wonder if Holy Blood should be Exalted Blood... Nah.

Edited by VincentASM

Gharnef, just let bookofholsety do the remaining graphics. He already knows how to do it, so it'd be easier this way. Maybe we can even translate the chapter names!

In the post with the pictures, he said he can make the pictures, not actually insert them. Those are mockups, hence the "finding someone to handle the technical aspects."

On an unrelated note, it looks like Chapter 7 has no errors with the changes, which is why I hadn't been posting as frequently. That, or they're well hidden to the point where I couldn't find any, and I went out of my way to do all the Talks and such. Definitely the chapter that offered the least resistance so far. :P

Also for what it's worth, I made a lazy video directing my subscribers to this thread. It feels like I'm the only one playtesting, so it looks like I got 1 or 2 people so far to give it a test run and hopefully they'll post if they find anything since I'm 99% sure I missed some stuff.

Edited by PKLucas531

Don't worry, you're not the only one playtesting. Here's an idea for the normal text, like the 8-letter limit on names: we should replace the current font with a half-width font so we could fix that text issue. Anyone agree? I'm trying to contribute.

Well, I have a savestate right at the end so here's a couple of screenshots:

eVoApZ8.png

m5dW2co.png

About the second one, were Julius' last words always made up of randomnly capitalized letters or was it something you did or the previous patch did? More importantly, why was it done like this in the first place? Even more importantly, should be altered at all?

Julius' last words were always randomly capitalized letters in previous patches. I don't really have any comments on if it should be changed, except maybe make it ALL CAPS like Medeus speaks, since they're both Earth Dragons.

Well Sigurd screams DAMN YOU at the top of his lungs when he's about to die, so Loptyr doing it wouldn't be so far off. I'm not even sure how you'd read AltErNaTinG text properly, so it looks like it should be changed in some form (unless the japanese script did it, then it's fair game?)

I interpret it as them being so angry that their voice is literally wavering, but I don't think that's actually possible.

I do know that I've seen this several times before in cases of possession, though I can't recall specifics, so whatever.

The only times I can think of when text is supposed to look like that is with ghosts. OoOOooOoOoooh...When they're trying to be spooky?

I've also seen that when talking machines malfunction.

...But that's about it. Change it, I say.

If I recall Loptousou's lines (as well as Medeus's in the games in which he appears) are written in Katakana which is inconsistent with the rest of the script. Not knowing anything about Japanese I can't really say what exactly that would represent, but the chosen localization of that into English was apparently to alternate capitals.

So it's not entirely random, but whether or not it's worth keeping is another matter.

I can imagine the graphics are still WIP, but I couldn't help but comment...

I like what you did with the FE: Awakening styled logo. On the other hand, the subtitle looks a bit too tiny. Would it help if "the" was on the 2nd line along with "Holy War"?

Also, there should be Baldur in the Holy Blood chart.

Makes me wonder if Holy Blood should be Exalted Blood... Nah.

the subtitle box gave me a lot of grief - i assumed it'd be best to work within the theoretical constraint of the box itself being unable to be expanded for whatever reason, like the FE6 patch's title screen, so inevitably trying to cram what may be the longest FE title as rendered in English was quite the challenge. i'm definitely not content with it as it stands, and i'm definitely open to ideas on how to overcome this particular flaw with it (admittedly i figured it wasn't a big deal since, again, that's exactly what the FE6 patch's title screen did and thus i assumed people are used to tiny crammed text in fan translations :P)

also, the holy blood mockup actually predates the English release of LB3 so it was thrown together before i knew Baldur was even going to be a thing. all these are actually pretty old :P i'd revise it, but i'm (hopefully) temporarily separated from the PSD files so...

I saw it! ...But I don't think I'm the audience you're going for...

Not just you dude. I meant everyone, especially Gharnef, since he's in charge of this fork in the project! Well who knows about hacking the text font of this game?