Gharnef's Improved FE4 Translation Patch

Gharnef

Did no one pay attention to my last post about the half-width font idea? I'm trying to help!

Do you mean just squishing two letters onto one tile? If so, yes that can be done as the font is uncompressed and easy to edit.

• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh sorry, I meant compressed as in the technical term (which means it doesn't require any asm hacking to view). But you do have a point, it might look ugly if the letters are squished.

for what it's worth, the Shaya FE5 patch does it literally for menu text (at least, the segments thereof which it bothered to translate) and it actually looked not half-bad, if out of place amidst the full-width text used for names. on the other hand, given the vast number of letter combinations required it's very much impractical to extend to class and weapon names

A few things - formal list of changes so far will be made available soon. Just deciding where to upload/best way to share.

TOR HAMMER made me lol - it's been fixed.

Whomever found the brother's overflowed convo, I think I have a fix.

Agree that the NaGa TeXt should be changed, I understand why it was done this way but don't like it.

Re: half-width font, I like the idea but it's a little out of my league right now. The font DOES get compressed in the patch it seems - the code that does this actually doesn't work right now because of a bug in the lz77 code (so I use a pre-compressed one to compile the patch). This might have other implications in spacing calculation and addressing if the chars are shrunk in size. TBH deep technical stuff like this and graphics changing are future todos, I primarily wanted to nail down the script before tackling stuff like this.

Watch the first post for an updated patch in a few mins.

Considering that they changed Baldo to Baldur and Holsety to Forseti, matching the entities they were named for, it might be a worthwhile hypothesis to assume they'd at least be consistent with this, but I suppose it's also worth mentioning that I care surprisingly little when it comes to these localizations for some reason. Maybe it's because they're mostly not actual characters. :c

For reference, these would be:

Baldo -> Baldur

Holsety -> Forseti

Narga -> Naga

Loptcouscous -> Loptyr (this one is a combination of Lopt and Tyr, though, so yeah.)

Fala -> Vala

Neir -> Njor (Njorth, Njordr, Njord, Njoerd)

Noba -> ??? (The word Nova aside, the closest I'm getting with goddesses is "Nott", but I concede I'm not sure if it's her, someone obscure, or simply Nova.)

Hezul -> Hodr

Odo -> Odr (Od)

Dain -> Dainn (Dain)

Ulir -> Ullr

Blagi -> Bragi

Tordo ->Thor

My only contention with this is that Loptyr is an exception and, yeah, nobody knows what Nova is.

Alright, I've got myself a new emulator and can now continue playtesting!I'm playing FE4's recruitment theme right now

I'm not sure whether it's supposed to be Briggid or Brigid in the newest patch, but Sigurd says Briggid in his talk with Adean in chapter one.

Considering that they changed Baldo to Baldur and Holsety to Forseti, matching the entities they were named for, it might be a worthwhile hypothesis to assume they'd at least be consistent with this

But we did get the names Raquesis (Lachesis), Larcei (Luchtaine), Arvis (Alvis), Ulster (Scathach). So it might be a bit much to assume that the localizers would spell the names as such even if somebody caught what the names were referring to.

Edited by The Void

for what it's worth, the Shaya FE5 patch does it literally for menu text (at least, the segments thereof which it bothered to translate) and it actually looked not half-bad, if out of place amidst the full-width text used for names. on the other hand, given the vast number of letter combinations required it's very much impractical to extend to class and weapon names

In that case maybe we should just change the font to the normal one seen in text conversations.

I was under the impression that Great Shield was changed to Pavise, but it's still Great Shield.

Was I mistaken?

Correct, it hasn't been changed, will be in the next patch. Charisma -> Charm can be done too. Good catches and suggestions! Thanks for all your help so far.

Regarding the HiPriest/Bishop issue - perhaps we could do what IS does and break out the thesaurus. "Prelate" sounds like it'd fit into the FE world like a glove, so that could be used for one of the classes.

Alright, I've got myself a new emulator and can now continue playtesting!I'm playing FE4's recruitment theme right now

I'm not sure whether it's supposed to be Briggid or Brigid in the newest patch, but Sigurd says Briggid in his talk with Adean in chapter one.

I believe we decided Brigid was "stupid" and reverted it back to Briggid. Same goes for Tailto and Claud I think?

I don't have a save file or savestate back in Chapter 6 anymore, so if you could(whenever you get there) check if Larcei's battle convo with Johan and Johalva are fixed, that'd be cool. Since Gharnef said he "thinks" he has a fix for what I posted, and I can't check :P

Edited by PKLucas531

I don't have a save file or savestate back in Chapter 6 anymore, so if you could(whenever you get there) check if Larcei's battle convo with Johan and Johalva are fixed, that'd be cool. Since Gharnef said he "thinks" he has a fix for what I posted, and I can't check :P

Sure, just keep in mind that it's going to take since I'm only on chapter 2 and I'm taking my time so I don't miss anything.

Anyway, Ares is refered to as the black knight in the translation. In FE13 however, his title(and I am talking about his title, not his class) is the dark knight. Just something to consider.Ares should totally be Batman

Anyway, Ares is refered to as the black knight in the translation. In FE13 however, his title(and I am talking about his title, not his class) is the dark knight.

He introduces himself as "the black knight Ares" though.

I believe we decided Brigid was "stupid" and reverted it back to Briggid. Same goes for Tailto and Claud I think?

Not that Brigid stupid (I really should have used a better word than "stupid") but it's the same spelling as a Celtic mythological figure. Since we're not calling Tordo "Thor," and we're not calling Belhalla "Valhalla" I think going with the reference over the mythological name makes sense.

Oh, what's that you say, what about Mjolnir? Talk to NoA ;)

I have a list of all the changes in a spreadsheet... trying to figure out a better place to put it. Will probably just spoiler it in the first post...

Edited by Gharnef

Here's a thing about character names that might refer to a mythological figure or place or whatever.

While we might want to spell the names a certain way, we might want to keep in consideration that we are dealing with character names that might just be based on (not exact copies) names of mythological figures. And in several cases, it might be that said references aren't really refered to or that important within context of the story.

It's possible that somebody at IS might have intentionally changed around the name of the mythological figure. Like in the case of Marth. Even if it is obvious that the name of Dark Dragon and the Sword of Light's Lord was based on the war god "Mars", somebody at IS could have knowingly decided to render that name as "Marth" in Latin alphabet, and it would have been just that. There isn't a scene where Marth's father claimed "I shall my son after the Roman god of war!", and nobody ever pauses to say "Hey, that guy's name fits him, since he's a strong fighter and a Lord!". It could still work. Apply that to other names like Briggid/Brigid/Whoever.

Edited by The Void

I brought that up before. I think Gharnef said Lopto is appropriate when referring to the group as a whole, then someone brought up a counter argument with Salem saying he's a "Loptyrian" priest. We're undecided on that point, I guess. It could go either way with Lopto/Loptyr Sect.

With Fala, we're not even sure if Fala would become Vala since the tome is just "Valflame." We're already kinda pardoning the Crusaders, we're not changing Tordo to Thor to match "Mjolnir" nor did we change Sety(the Crusader) to "Ced" or "Seti" to match Forseti.

Although, your point did make me notice that Arvis refers to Fala as a God instead of a Crusader.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the crusaders are looked upon like gods right?

Anyway, the first one has a grammar error. Reptor should be saying "Now what are we going to do?" instead of "Now are we going to do?"

Correct me if I'm wrong but the crusaders are looked upon like gods right?

It could go either way. Sigurd refers to Baldo as a Crusader in his recruitment with Ayra "As a descendant of the Crusader Baldo, I will not betray your trust" iirc. so I guess it depends on if Arvis is the kinda guy to place Fala on a higher pedestal? :P Which is kinda fitting, I guess.

Edited by PKLucas531