Gharnef's Improved FE4 Translation Patch

Gharnef

you really aren't (helping)

gharnef seems like a pretty intelligent person, he should be able to figure the rest out himself

Edited by CT075

• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry if I didn't understand your post! Jeeze, I'm just trying to help!

"Motivational posting" doesn't work when you're up against a wall of hexadecimal values that translates into game code that you're not capable of reading.

Cam is a hell of a lot more capable of understanding SNES graphics compression than me, and I can understand his reasonings for quitting the "bashing my head into this until it works".

What I DO suggest when it comes to the graphics department and bugfixing... contact the one making a fresh new FE5 patch. The one who's making it from scratch. They look like they have some SNES hacking experience. Where the hell is Pukachi when you need her?

"Motivational posting" doesn't work when you're up against a wall of hexadecimal values that translates into game code that you're not capable of reading.Cam is a hell of a lot more capable of understanding SNES graphics compression than me, and I can understand his reasonings for quitting the "bashing my head into this until it works".What I DO suggest when it comes to the graphics department and bugfixing... contact the one making a fresh new FE5 patch. The one who's making it from scratch. They look like they have some SNES hacking experience. Where the hell is Pukachi when you need her?

Dude I just got into the hacking business. I was only trying to help out the cause.

gharnef seems like a pretty intelligent person, he should be able to figure the rest out himself

Ha, thanks :)

Dude I just got into the hacking business. I was only trying to help out the cause.

I appreciate everyone's help so far :)

Nick, here's a description of what's going on with the graphics - the graphics for some things are visible if you open up the ROM in a sprite editor program. Things like the Holy Weapons are plainly visible and you could edit them in place in the ROM. Other images - like character portraits - are not visible in a sprite editor, even though they're in the ROM somewhere. This is because they're compressed - like what Winzip does to a .zip file, shrinks it down - and compressed data is much harder to work with than its uncompressed form. I was able to change Sigurd's compressed portrait because I knew where in the ROM his compressed portrait data was. How did I know this? I have some Japanese documents that detail the starting location and ending location for portrait graphics. I'm not sure how the author came about this information, but I bet they did something like run the game through an ASM debugger, found a routine that's called to decompress graphics, watched for that routine to be called and made notes of the data areas referenced.

... whew

So why can't I just replace the Holy Blood chart graphics for the names, like Holsety with Forseti? Because, since they're compressed, I don't know where they're stored as data inside of the ROM. If I look at a save state for the game in YY-CHR - which is a snapshot of the running MEMORY set - I can see the graphics in their UNCOMPRESSED form. They have to be uncompressed to be displayed as a graphic. But this does not tell me where they are loaded from, or stored in compressed fashion in the ROM.

PrDOVZ0.png

So... I could probably do what others did to get the compressed portrait locations BUT I don't have the time to dedicate to just this right now.

I'm planning on tackling the rest of the text changes in the next few days and updating the patch. That should do it for most text based issues. Graphics, missing translations... those are the things that are going to take a while.

Edited by Gharnef

I have another suggestion. How about changing MtnThief to Brigand?

Also in the talk conversation in the prologue between Sigurd and Ethlyn, I feel it would be better if Sigurd said "mother" instead of "mum".

Edited by Boo Mansion

Brigand is shorter though and within the 8 character limit therefore more preferable.

Also in the talk conversation in the prologue between Sigurd and Ethlyn, I feel it would be better if Sigurd said "mother" instead of "mum".

Yeah this always felt a little too British, and also a little too babylike. Sigurd, a fully grown man, calls hismother 'mum'? I don't think so.

Mum is terrible. Is he the fearless leader of Jugdral or is he the little mummy's boy? Is he the peerless unit that can cheese gen 1 or is he some wimp that cowers behind mummy's frock? I think mum always sounded terrible lol. Besides, most FE games use "mother" as the proper translation anyway, unless a character has a clearly defined accent. And uh, Sigurd doesn't have an accent.

Edited by Klok

I have another suggestion. How about changing MtnThief to Brigand?

Yes that would be for the best... considering it's a literal translation that sounds stupid.

FE6 didn't use that for 山賊, and neither should an updated patch.

Also, should Theif Fighter be changed to Rogue since both classes seem to be pretty similar? Just wondering.

This change was already made. The change was probably done in the previous version, before Gharnef even did anything.

FE4 Liza is a pretty minor character though. Lisa would conflict with Lissa, Riza would be engrish I guess.

As for MtnThief, we got both Brigand and Barbarian as options.

Yeah, I definitely think Riza would work out for avoiding sharing with Marth's mother.

Mum is terrible. Is he the fearless leader of Jugdral or is he the little mummy's boy? Is he the peerless unit that can cheese gen 1 or is he some wimp that cowers behind mummy's frock? I think mum always sounded terrible lol. Besides, most FE games use "mother" as the proper translation anyway, unless a character has a clearly defined accent. And uh, Sigurd doesn't have an accent.

Hhm... What about "Mom" be a better replacement for "Mum"?

Edited by King Marth 64

re "mum": twilkitri is Australian so the base patch is full of Australian spellings for things, including "mum" (which is pronounced no different to "mom" unless you're some obscure British accent). honestly i'm surprised you're all leaping on THIS instead of, oh say, spellings like "armour" and "colour"

re liza: who the fuck cares there are plenty of minor bosses who share names with minor characters in other games it doesn't matter if a minor boss shares a name with a character who only ever appeared for like ten seconds, and even then only in the anime

Edited by bookofholsety

honestly i'm surprised you're all leaping on THIS instead of, oh say, spellings like "armour" and "colour"

Actually those bugged me but that's a slightly different spelling that's pronounced the same as its american way of spelling. Mum and Mom sound different when read or spoken aloud therefore there's an actual important distinction to be made. Also, honour and armour sound kind of... noble? They don't bug me too much. Mum does though :B

I don't think the word should be Mom either, I think it should be Mother, which is a more respectful term considering the fact that Sigurd is born of nobility and whatnot.

I just started Chapter 2 and was reminded of something else that bugs me:

Eve.png

Eve is a feminine name (and so is Eva, for that matter). Realizing that IE has used gender-swapped names before, and that these are pretty inconsequential characters, does anyone else feel like these could be changed? 'Eve' at least seems like a pretty simple fix: change it to 'Yves', which has the exact same pronunciation but is a masculine name. As for Eva... I dunno, maybe 'Ebba' or something?

All this is assuming that I'm not completely missing some sort of subtext where the Kamikaze Brothers (including Alva) are supposed to have feminine names for a reason.

I don't think the word should be Mom either, I think it should be Mother, which is a more respectful term considering the fact that Sigurd is born of nobility and whatnot.

being of nobility doesn't automatically mean exacting and respectful speech, and the FE series is full of characters like that - Hector, Lissa, this patch's interpretations of Lewyn and Lex, and even Ephraim and Chrom to an extent. additionally, as the script currently stands, Sigurd's speech patterns fit into this particular "noble without sounding it" mold and are fairly rough and relaxed, with precious little of the uptight respect mode, so him using "mum" feels far more natural and fitting than "mother" would

of course if someone is willing to rewrite the entirety of FE4's first half so that Sigurd is the single most polite motherfucker on the face of the planet...

Is Arvis' line "We. Are. In. Love." from Chapter 5 in the most recent patch? I've always found that line weird, but does it play like that in the original, with pauses after every word?

Is Arvis' line "We. Are. In. Love." from Chapter 5 in the most recent patch? I've always found that line weird, but does it play like that in the original, with pauses after every word?

the japanese script for that part goes:

言うな! マンフロイ!! (Silence! Manfroy!!)

私たちは愛し合っている (We are in love)

もはや誰にも、じゃまはさせない! (Nobody will get in our way anymore!)

that said, the patch's broken-up interpretation of the line is a really nice touch for conveying the frustrated emphasis Arvis is putting on the declaration, and really should be retained (maybe altered to "We! Are! In! Love!; exclamation marks convey it better than periods)

Edited by bookofholsety