Gharnef's Improved FE4 Translation Patch

Gharnef

• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Soooo...do we know where the official translation is? And also, does the newest version correct the ending freeze?

I dosn't exist (the names in the new version come from awakening), and no (although a complete reworking is in progress that will)

If anyone still cares about my patch I think this was the final version - I lost the sources when I had a computer die on me (it was in a VM, pretty hard to back up). The patch is on Dropbox. Enjoy.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vvl2vue65syyx85/fe4.ips

I'm interested to see the code of naga, looks cool!

Edited by Gharnef

Do you know if it is for a headered ROM or an unheadered ROM?

Looking back at the sources, I believe this should be for a headered ROM. I didn't modify anything in this part of the code from the original sources. Here's a quote from the readme in the fe4transsrc package:

PROBLEMS?

This patch only works on a headered FE4 ROM. The size of the ROM should be:
4, 194, 816 bytes
If it is instead
4, 194, 304 bytes
then you have a ROM without a header and you should either find one which does, or find
a program to add a header to it for you.
Headers are unnecessary and I've considered releasing a headerless version (as opposed to
a headered version, not in addition to) but I can't be bothered at the moment.

If anyone still cares about my patch I think this was the final version - I lost the sources when I had a computer die on me (it was in a VM, pretty hard to back up). The patch is on Dropbox. Enjoy.

I'm sorry to hear that :( There's nothing more demotivating than losing all of your hard work. Thanks for posting the latest patch you could find :)

I'm interested to see the code of naga, looks cool!

Thanks for the support! I'm hoping for a preliminary beta sometime before the end of the year. It's taking a while because I decided to rewrite all of the text dumping tools. The text dumper and reinjector actually *mostly* works, but I'm pretty unhappy with the way it finds the regions of text right now. It's a total hack(adopted from the Reparation source) to get FE4 to work and I don't think it will work in FE5 without adding hacks for that game too..

And then at some point I thought supporting the GBA games was a good idea( because FEditor makes fe6 explode :( ), so now I'm studying the dialogue structure and trying to find some 'formal' way of finding all of the text across these games without resorting to brute force searching with rom maps.

So yeah, Project Naga, coming this lifetimeâ„¢. I'll make a thread about it when I think it's far along enough to show off something :) In the meantime, this is the patch to use

FEditor makes fe6 explode :(

Not after you use omni's bug fix patch: http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=41143

(that patch is the reason that gringe's translation was compleated so fast.) Personaly, i think that just fe4 and 5 is good enough, now that FEditor can be used with fe6.

So yeah, Project Naga, coming this lifetimeâ„¢. I'll make a thread about it when I think it's far along enough to show off something :) In the meantime, this is the patch to use

Can't wait for Project Naga :) I've followed bookofholsety's progress on tumblr and it looks very promising.

And I'm sorry to hear about losing your files Gharnef.

• 2 weeks later...

So, if I'm understanding this correctly, in order to patch the translation, I have to put it in the same folder as a clean headered Japanese ROM, correct? I really want to try this patch, Genealogy is one of my favorites in the series and it'll be nice to play it with official English names being used for characters/classes/items/etc.

EDIT: I seem to be having the same problem bookofholsety was having. Any way to fix this?

Edited by Matthewtheman

• 2 months later...

Just wanted to tell you I´m playing a Fire Emblem game for the first time, Genealogy of the Holy War, latest Gharnof patch, snes9x, big tv, wireless 360 controller, filters 2xbrz + ntsc svideo. What a fantastic game. Writing, soundtrack, character design, gameplay, everything.

Waiting for that eventual final translation patch!

• 3 months later...

I'm halfway through the game using this patch, and I was wondering if you fixed the really weird "easter eggs" the earlier translators snuck in there. For example, the infamous "In America" from Thracia 776.

I'm halfway through the game using this patch, and I was wondering if you fixed the really weird "easter eggs" the earlier translators snuck in there. For example, the infamous "In America" from Thracia 776.

That's Thracia, not FE4. FE4, to my knowledge, has no weird "easter eggs" snuck into its fan translations.

full, ground-up retranslations of both scripts are currently well underway. expect them in patch form sooner or later

Can't wait for this patch as an excuse for my fourth play-through of FE4 (and maybe a second fe5 playthrough, depending on mood). might do a subs half-playthrough, though, depending on how long it takes to release/weather i finish my game backlog before that time

How do I use this? So confused. I was playing with another ROM but some of the text is in a different language or something. Mainly the conversations between lovers when they are both in a castle or whatever.

EDIT: Also I tried to patch it yesterday and am trying to play it on Snes9xGX.

EDIT: Okay, it worked when I used Lunar IPS to apply the Patch and opened it with Snes9x. Will it not work for Snes9xGX?

EDIT: LOL. Wait, it works now. I guess it didn't work yesterday because I tried to patch it while it was on the SD card? -.-

Edited by Lyon's Dirge

What is the .TGZ file used for? Is it necessary to patch it onto the clean FE4 as well as the .IPS file?

.tgz is an archive format. it's more commonly written as .tar.gz.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tar_%28computing%29

It contains his source for the translation. So you do not need to patch it on to the file.

.tgz is an archive format. it's more commonly written as .tar.gz.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tar_%28computing%29

It contains his source for the translation. So you do not need to patch it on to the file.

Ok, thank you!

EDIT: Is there a certain FE4 translation I need to patch Gharnef's patch onto? For the life of me I can't get it to work on a clean rom or Twilkitri's translation.

Edited by Forceman

Ok, thank you!

EDIT: Is there a certain FE4 translation I need to patch Gharnef's patch onto? For the life of me I can't get it to work on a clean rom or Twilkitri's translation.

All I did was get a ROM and use Lunar IPS to apply the .ips file to the ROM. And I was done. :/