Gharnef's Improved FE4 Translation Patch

Gharnef

What are the original translation tools, because I would love to replace text. I am not planning replace everything, but I may seeing how there is a new translation. Also adding lines would be cool.

There are lots of useful links in this thread: http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=55072&p=3845308

Here are some examples:

http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=39603

http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=51131

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im currently in chapter 3 and I cant attack any enemy without getting a black screen! Any help? (ofc, the only enemies within my reach are the knights and generals)

WHat happens when you use the arena?

Maybe try repatching with a different rom?

WHat happens when you use the arena?

Maybe try repatching with a different rom?

NEVERMIND!

It was a cheat fault (one that turned a weapon into a 100 kill one btw) removed it and works just fine. Sorry for the scare and thanks for being here for us

Edited by HexWall

I'm a little confused. The patch doesn't seem to have been updated for 2 years based on the first post. Is it still in Alpha, or is it still being worked on? I'm going on a Fire Emblem withdrawal just so I can experience this fresh in English without having to worry about untranslated lines or glitches. Is it at that point yet? Hard to keep track of in this 22 page thread.

On 5/5/2016 at 8:04 PM, Illiterate Scholar said:

I'm a little confused. The patch doesn't seem to have been updated for 2 years based on the first post. Is it still in Alpha, or is it still being worked on?

No, this patch is no longer being worked on. Gharnef--the guy who created this patch--had his computer die on him. He lost all the files that he had to make new updates. 

From what I played it seems to a really good translation.

If you're interested in a newer translation, Bookofholsety is working on his own translation. The blog for it is on DreamWidth

http://bookofholsety.dreamwidth.org/

Edited by ObliviousRay

No, this patch is no longer being worked on. Gharnef the guy who created this patch had his computer die on him, and he lost all the files that had needed to make new updates.

I haven't gotten too far in game yet, but from what I've seen it seems to be a really good translation.

If your interested in a newer translation, Bookofholsety is working on his own translation. The blog for it is on DreamWidth

http://bookofholsety.dreamwidth.org/

Oh wow, thank you. I didn't know there's another one. Might as well follow him on twitter for updates. Sounds like the project could be completed by this year.

On 5/6/2016 at 9:27 PM, Illiterate Scholar said:

Oh wow, thank you. I didn't know there's another one. Might as well follow him on twitter for updates. Sounds like the project could be completed by this year.

Cool, really glad to help. I hope it does get finished this year, too.

The only thing is that you can't download it right now because he wants to get it further in development until he releases a playable version.

Edited by ObliviousRay

On 5/6/2016 at 11:21 PM, Illiterate Scholar said:

That's fine, as long as someone is working on a fully translated version of the game.

Well, I'm excited, to say the least for the new translation. It seems like it'll be on par with official translations, and be as good as the FE 6 and 12 fan translations, too.

Edited by ObliviousRay

Well going by his Twitter he's to be in the process of proofreading, and DDS, who handled the technical side, seems to be done, so once bookofholsety finishes the proofreading, we'll probably see a release. We'll probably have the patch by summer.

On 5/7/2016 at 3:15 PM, Matthewtheman said:

We'll probably have the patch by summer.

Yeah, he's currently proofreading right now. Oh, and I almost forgot about one other thing. DDS who is the ROM-hacker implementing BookofHolsety's translations, posted on Twitter, "Not much for me to do on FE4 now."

https://twitter.com/DDSTrans/status/727648959011950593

And in the replies, DDS and Holsety talk about an anniversary they hope to release it by. But, DDS also said, "Making sure everything works is the top priority."

FE 4 was released on May 14, 1996. In a week it'll be its 20th anniversary. If they release it then, it would be great.

Edited by ObliviousRay

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I thought I'd give this new translation a try (I've been avoiding it because I like the original names more than the official names) but I just have some questions.  1. What does it mean by a clean rom? I have the old fe4 rom but I hard patched it with the original English translation. Do I need another? 2. Have all the non-translated areas been translated? 

1. The rom needs no patches on it at all. So the rom you're on about won't work.

2. The Naga patch has the ending fixed, and it runs fine. The text differs in places throughout, but the intent tends to be solid.

Pretty sure there's plans to update the newer patch with names in Heroes (Like Lachesis being back), but I don't know about when that's supposed to be out.

The Gharnef patch and Project Naga are both good, but Project Naga is more recent than this patch. It's also in this forum.

• 3 months later...

Hi folks, I was looking around the web to see if anyone has done an updated patch for FE4 since I last updated this one - what's the verdict on Project Naga? I don't have plans on continuing work on this patch at this time, though. Is it still used by folks? 

7 hours ago, Gharnef said:

Hi folks, I was looking around the web to see if anyone has done an updated patch for FE4 since I last updated this one - what's the verdict on Project Naga? I don't have plans on continuing work on this patch at this time, though. Is it still used by folks? 

Well, this patch can work with emulators that can't deal with larger file sizes: Project Naga has that problem with some emulators. I do see people still bring this patch up as well, it's not dead or anything. Project Naga has to patch some things as well to finish it off.

I liked playing with this patch for my first playthrough.

2 hours ago, Dayni said:

Well, this patch can work with emulators that can't deal with larger file sizes: Project Naga has that problem with some emulators. I do see people still bring this patch up as well, it's not dead or anything. Project Naga has to patch some things as well to finish it off.

I liked playing with this patch for my first playthrough.

Cool, glad to hear you liked this patch.

I think Project Naga is really interesting as it seems they figured out how to replace the font and did a lot of other stuff the base patch I started from couldn't. I'll have to look around and see if Naga ever released any sources as I'd be interested to see them.

Personally, I still use this patch while playing through the game and switch to Naga only for the duration of the epilogue: I'm too fond of it.

• 2 months later...
On 7/22/2017 at 9:31 AM, Koumal8 said:

Personally, I still use this patch while playing through the game and switch to Naga only for the duration of the epilogue: I'm too fond of it.

I've personally only ever use Naga so I'm curious as to what you like more about this patch?

2 hours ago, Greencapps said:

I've personally only ever use Naga so I'm curious as to what you like more about this patch?

As I said, I'm too fond of it to let it go. While I use many FE4 names interchangeably now, my love for FE4 budded between the Tiltyus, Idas, Eltshans, Arlvises and Loputousus (god I love this word too much for my own sake) of this translation. And there are also many names for places and weapons in this patch that I flat out prefer to the new ones used by the Naga patch and official sources (Swanchika, ThorHammer, Wing Clipper, Barhara, Silesia, Holsety, DELMUD, seriously, who the heck thought renaming him to DERMOTT was a good idea?). Leaving aside the nostalgia factor, the font used in this patch fits FE4 graphics way, WAY better than the Naga's one.