Gharnef's Improved FE4 Translation Patch

Gharnef

I managed to add a header to my FE:3 and FE:4 ROMs. When opening them up, they still say Bad ROM, but the FE:4 ROM works properly, while the FE:3 ROM crashes after getting to the title screen, but lol, didn't plan on playing FE:3 anyways. A bigger problem I have with FE:4 is that is won't save properly. After watching the long cutscene and going into the chapter, I saved using the in-game menu. When I came back, my save file wasn't there. What is going on!?! I don't think all this trouble is worth to play FE:4.

Well I'm no expert in rom hacking and patching, but this game is well worth the effort to play it. I'd just use save states instead of saving in game if that's causing a problem for you.

• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I'm no expert in rom hacking and patching, but this game is well worth the effort to play it. I'd just use save states instead of saving in game if that's causing a problem for you.

Yeah. I'm playing the game and I'm relying on save states now. Whenever I turn on the game now and see that is actually saves (which is about 25%) I'm shocked with total happiness. But yeah, I'm enjoying it and it could very well be my favorite FE if it continues this way.

• 2 weeks later...

Is this patch dead, finished, or still in development?....

Pretty sure it's finished.

DOSBox to the rescue! Download that and drag SNESTool onto the DOSBOX icon. That should run it. Your patch should state if it requires a header or not. If it does, apply the header in SNESTool. Make sure to have the patch the same name as the ROM, eg. FE4.sfc, FE4.ips. (I believe this patch is headered, so yeah.)

You don't really need DOSBox. It worked just fine on my XP laptop and Windows 7 Ultimate desktop, so yeah.

Pretty sure it's finished.

It is ac tualy only around 98% finished and dead. the ending, (plus some other minor stuff) is untranslated

• 4 weeks later...

Is there something specific I have to do to use this patch? I've applied it to a clean rom using Lunar IPS, but none of my emulators can run it.

You have to use SNESTool to delete the header if I remember correctly, then apply the patch. You can make sure that you've done the right thing if you look at the ROM file's properties and it displays the correct three data number thingys. Look up what they're supposed to be.

You have to use SNESTool to delete the header if I remember correctly, then apply the patch. You can make sure that you've done the right thing if you look at the ROM file's properties and it displays the correct three data number thingys. Look up what they're supposed to be.

There are other programs that do the same thing that are more modern (snestool will NOT work if you are using a 64 bit operating system, includes many installs of 7 and i thing all 8 installs). i heard that NSRT works although i haven't used it myself: http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/400/

There are other programs that do the same thing that are more modern (snestool will NOT work if you are using a 64 bit operating system, includes many installs of 7 and i thing all 8 installs). i heard that NSRT works although i haven't used it myself: http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/400/

SNESTool worked for me just fine on Windows 7 Ultimate, so yeah. Of course there always is DOSBox if you want to go that route.

SNESTool worked for me just fine on Windows 7 Ultimate, so yeah. Of course there always is DOSBox if you want to go that route.

THere are 32 and 64 bit versions of wiindows 7 ultimate. The first will work and the second will not. I believe that the same is true of windows 8. DOSbox should always still work, although it would probably be simpler to use something that runs natively unless you already use DOSbox.

THere are 32 and 64 bit versions of wiindows 7 ultimate. The first will work and the second will not. I believe that the same is true of windows 8. DOSbox should always still work, although it would probably be simpler to use something that runs natively unless you already use DOSbox.

I am sure I have the 64 bit one, and it worked.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm New here but I need to know something. I downloaded this Patch From Nicoblog. Would it be the most up to date patch or is it mostly likely outdated? I apologize if this is a burden

I'm New here but I need to know something. I downloaded this Patch From Nicoblog. Would it be the most up to date patch or is it mostly likely outdated? I apologize if this is a burden

THis project has been through several "near final" versions with miner diferences. The only real difference other than the precise names used (this patch uses the awakening ones, and the others use other names) is one conversation in the final chapter (the edda one iirc) that is untranslated in some of the older versions, but not most of them. This conversation can be found here (along with other stuff translated in the newer version, most notably the ending): http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=14127

If the opening cutscene refers to the empire as "Grannvale" in the textbox but not the graphics (which the newest version never got around to updating), then it is this version is almost certainly the newest one.

Edited by sirmola

Is Snestool mac compatible? If not, I heard some roms come without the header, is that true?

Also, the link doesn't seem to be working, it doesn't even link to dropbox at all, it links to some diablo site that doesn't work anymore.

You can just use NSRT instead of SNEStool. nsrt has a mac version here: http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/484/

If you cant get it to work, you can find a rom without a header (the one i found did not have one to begin with), or you can remove the header manually in any decent hex editer.

The link in this post works for me: http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=39994&p=3252699

Edited by sirmola

You can just use NSRT instead of SNEStool. nsrt has a mac version here: http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/484/

If you cant get it to work, you can find a rom without a header (the one i found did not have one to begin with), or you can remove the header manually in any decent hex editer.

The link in this post works for me: http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=39994&p=3252699

How many bytes is the headerless rom, and how many is the headered one?

How many bytes is the headerless rom, and how many is the headered one?

Headerd is 4094816 bytes. That's the rom the patch works on for me ( i seem to have miss-remembered using a header-less rom).

I don't think i have a headerless. For reference, my rom's MD5 checksum is B62A72CF276FE73AF2989C9F352D534B If yours is the same (the hex editor HXD and the decompresser 7zip are two of many programs that lets you compare check-sums), then you don't have to do anything to your rom, as it is the same one i am using. If you know a different kind of checksum, let me know and i will compare.

Edited by sirmola

• 3 months later...

Ok then I will use this one. I just don't want to wait for "project naga" which may or may not come out. It would be great if some else would pick it up because right now it is just one guy. I would but, I don't know where to even begin with text hacking. + I don't even know if he wants help.

Edited by Elite Ninja London

Ok then I will use this one. I just don't want to wait for "project naga" which may or may not come out. It would be great if some else would pick it up because right now it is just one guy. I would but, I don't know where to even begin with text hacking. + I don't even know if he wants help.

And he has fairly specific requirements. If you want to replace all of the text anyway, you can do what lamia is doing for her hack (she uses the really old menu only version of the fan translation, and adds text using the original translation tools.)

And he has fairly specific requirements. If you want to replace all of the text anyway, you can do what lamia is doing for her hack (she uses the really old menu only version of the fan translation, and adds text using the original translation tools.)

What are the original translation tools, because I would love to replace text. I am not planning replace everything, but I may seeing how there is a new translation. Also adding lines would be cool.