Gharnef's Improved FE4 Translation Patch

Gharnef

that said, sadly I have to report that the latest release of the patch does not work.

Are you patching the rom directly or just dropping the IPS in the same dir as the clean Japanese ROM? It loads and plays fine for me and I'm not permapatching the ROM. To be sure I downloaded the one directly from the website and it works as well.

• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well if we're going with Light Sword->Light Brand,

Flame Sword->Fire Brand

Thunder Sword->Levin Sword

Wind Sword->Wind Edge

I think Flame Sword is fine, also Wind Edge did physical damage at range in FE10. FE8 had a Wind Sword that functions the same way as FE4's pretty much.

Haven't tested the patch yet but what's been done with Dragons/Wyverns? I don't think you commented on it yet.

Nothing yet re: dragons/wyverns, still going through the easy stuff first and watching conversations on this topic and the sword/brand topic. I personally think it should follow FE:A and go Wyvern Rider, Wyvern Lord, etc.

The Clipper ... I think it should stay as the Wing Clipper. There's no flyers-only bonus damage weapon in later games, right? I know about the Wyrmslayer, but that doesn't bonus vs. Pegasi.

Also, I was thinking Seliph should start as a Lord, not a JrLord. In terms of their promoted class name, I'm thinking "Knight Lord" instead of Lord Knight to follow Eliwood's promoted class name.

The Clipper ... I think it should stay as the Wing Clipper. There's no flyers-only bonus damage weapon in later games, right? I know about the Wyrmslayer, but that doesn't bonus vs. Pegasi.

Based on Armorslayer and Horseslayer though, you should use Wingslayer. Why start to establish a pattern and then break it?

Also, I was thinking Seliph should start as a Lord, not a JrLord. In terms of their promoted class name, I'm thinking "Knight Lord" instead of Lord Knight to follow Eliwood's promoted class name.

Yeah, I agree.

Edited by Klok

Some stuff in Chapter 3 that looks a bit off, don't really have screenshots.

When Deirdre gets kidnapped, where she leaves Seliph with Shanan, she says "Mummy'll be right back, 'k?" which looks a little bit off to me. Not so much the mummy part, but you could probably stand to change k to 'kay since that's how every localization I've ever seen handles that bit. A bit nit-picky of me, but my nitpicks have ended up being things we've agreed on so far, so I think I should mention it.

At the end of Chapter 3, Sigurd says "Arrgh! They're callin' me a traitor?!" and I'm almost tempted to believe this is just the old patch maker making Sigurd talk like a pirate because they're in Orgahil(where the Orgahil Pirates are from...) for that cutscene, it doesn't seem like he'd start slurring his words like "callin" especially since he never does it again. Feels very out of place.

As for the sword names, just keep them as Fire Sword/Thunder Sword/Wind Sword, with the Light Brand being its own thing maybe? FE7 had the Wind Sword, which wasn't "Wind Brand" so changing those 3 to "Brands" would look really silly. An argument against using "Brand" for the swords is that now we've got the Holy Markings/whatever they're called being referred to as "Brands" by Seliph in FE13, so maybe we should avoid overlapping the two.

Also I can't believe I haven't noticed this. Shouldn't HiPriest be Bishop?

Edited by PKLucas531

As for the sword names, just keep them as Fire Sword/Thunder Sword/Wind Sword, with the Light Brand being its own thing maybe?

I actually prefer Light Brand myself, since that's FE7's thing. I kinda like Fire Brand though, (Fire "brands" imprints onto objects) so maybe Fire and Light Brands, Wind and Thunder Sword?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Branding

Edited by Klok

Also I can't believe I haven't noticed this. Shouldn't HiPriest be Bishop?

Here's the thing--there's already a Bishop class in FE4. Priests just don't promote to them.

Here's the thing--there's already a Bishop class in FE4. Priests just don't promote to them.

Then call them Cardinals so the fit in the eight letters.

i should probably just stop talking because it's pretty clear i don't care about taking liberties

2SUz1.png

TASTE MY HELSWATHA

2SUES.png

His name sticks out of the box since he's breaking the 8 character limit, too. Not sure if this is leftover from the old patch since I haven't played in ages.

Edited by PKLucas531

http://www.bible.ca/catholic-church-hierarchy-organization.htm

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/Misc/Definitions/Church.html

http://www.orthodoxphotos.com/readings/beginning/hierarchy.shtml

About the thing with the Bishops, maybe a name from one of these could used for the Priest's promotion?

Edited by The Void

2SUES.png

His name sticks out of the box since he's breaking the 8 character limit, too. Not sure if this is leftover from the old patch since I haven't played in ages.

This doesn't seem like that big a deal, but the two ways to go about this would probably be shortening it directly (Langbalt, Lngobalt something like that) or giving him a shorter version of his current name (which should correspond to 'Longbard', 'Langbard', or 'Langbart', of which I believe the latter is the most preferred?

Now, of course, changing his name may well open Pandora's Box, so I'd consider whether or not fixing his name is worth it.

This doesn't seem like that big a deal, but the two ways to go about this would probably be shortening it directly (Langbalt, Lngobalt something like that) or giving him a shorter version of his current name (which should correspond to 'Longbard', 'Langbard', or 'Langbart', of which I believe the latter is the most preferred?

Now, of course, changing his name may well open Pandora's Box, so I'd consider whether or not fixing his name is worth it.

It's a minor thing, but it's for consistency with the character limit I guess. Unless Langobalt and his Helswatha are bad enough dudes to be the one exception :P

Was Claude -> Claud really necessary? Tailto? Anything that isn't translated by NoA isn't "official," you should've stuck with what they had and just added the actual official translations instead of pointlessly and randomly undoing naming conventions.

But if you're going to upend everything, at least have the decency to improve things. Adding a g for Brigid and taking of an e for Claude, how pointless can these changes be?

Anyways, that's my rant. Horseslayer, Armorslayer, Earth Sword, Wing Clipper. Naga is official. Wyvern because the animations don't have front legs, which, if we're going on a mythological basis, makes them actual wyverns (unlike Elibe and Magvel's, but Elibe's were wyverns to distinguish from the manakete dragons, and Magvel just followed suit).

It's a minor thing, but it's for consistency with the character limit I guess. Unless Langobalt and his Helswatha are bad enough dudes to be the one exception :P

Seconding this.

I'm also putting in my vote for Fire/Thunder/Wind Sword and Light Brand.

The Dragon/Wyvern thing doesn't really matter to me, but I'll go ahead and say "Wyvern".

Are you patching the rom directly or just dropping the IPS in the same dir as the clean Japanese ROM? It loads and plays fine for me and I'm not permapatching the ROM. To be sure I downloaded the one directly from the website and it works as well.

i always just permapatch a clean Japanese ROM. i guess i'll attempt softpatching instead, though my preference is definitely for the former. oh well

FE12 has the Flycatcher (admittedly it's not in an English released game) and FE13 has the Volant Axe. there's also wind magic in general from FE5 onward. all of these deal effective damage to fliers, including pegasi

seconded like hell; the whole Junior Lord thing always struck me as one of the sillier parts of FE4's alterations to the class name paradigms

@the high priest debacle: i've no objection to just leaving it as High Priest, but if it must be changed, in theory it could just be called Bishop too, thus superficially merging it and the actual Bishop (i'm not advocating swapping around their sprites or whatever; those are left alone in this scenario). considering they have access to the same weapons and that their stats are mostly indistinguishable from each other, it's not unreasonable. iirc, the FE5 patch did the same thing with Bow Fighters and Archers (calling both "Archer")

Edited by bookofholsety

The idea of merging Wyvern Rider/Knight/etc into the same class(using the same line of logic, they use the same weapons, similar stats, etc) was brought up already, so the same could apply here. Bishop looks cleaner than HiPriest, which is struggling to stay within the character limit, which is my own reason for bringing it up. If High Priest fit, then it'd be fine as is. I believe the reason this patch is even being made is to be more in-line with the recent FEs/make stuff recognizable by newcomers, so Bishop has that "familiarity" to it I guess?

Edited by PKLucas531

Finn is still called Fin in the new patch.

@the high priest debacle: i've no objection to just leaving it as High Priest, but if it must be changed, in theory it could just be called Bishop too, thus superficially merging it and the actual Bishop (i'm not advocating swapping around their sprites or whatever; those are left alone in this scenario). considering they have access to the same weapons and that their stats are mostly indistinguishable from each other, it's not unreasonable. iirc, the FE5 patch did the same thing with Bow Fighters and Archers (calling both "Archer")

Seconding this, just call it Bishop.

Was Claude -> Claud really necessary? Tailto? Anything that isn't translated by NoA isn't "official," you should've stuck with what they had and just added the actual official translations instead of pointlessly and randomly undoing naming conventions.

But if you're going to upend everything, at least have the decency to improve things. Adding a g for Brigid and taking of an e for Claude, how pointless can these changes be?

I don't always agree with Arch, so color it odd that I'm agreeing with him about this.

I still think we should leave High Priests as "High Priests" (They can be very different and Bishops are non-playable classes in this game) and maybe also fix Wyvern Knight as Wyvern Rider (since this is a class for Dragon Knight) and also, I think Dragon Rider maybe needs to be changed with keeping the Wyvern part and avoid with Rider to change to something else.

Also, I have trouble getting the patch set up and I can't get it working (I still think that my internet connection may could have got the patch currupted when I downloaded).

Edited by King Marth 64