Marth Aka the FE chars going in SSB

shane3x

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know, right? Chrom's cool in his own way, but he's got nothing on the awesomeness that is Ike. <3

It's more that I find him a failed attempt to rehash FE9 Ike but make him into a noble. (I also find he lacks the charm that FE9 Ike had which made him interesting IMO)

Edited by Zelos

It's more that I find him a failed attempt to rehash FE9 Ike but make him into a noble. (I also find he lacks the charm that FE9 Ike had which made him an interesting)

I have sort of the same opinion of Chrom, to me he seems like a combination of Marth and Ike.

I wouldn't say a default character is guaranteed to stay. Sure, the previous installments didn't cut any character who was a default character, but that doesn't mean anything, and anything is possible.

It's more that I find him a failed attempt to rehash FE9 Ike but make him into a noble. (I also find he lacks the charm that FE9 Ike had which made him interesting IMO)

Same here, but I don't think Chrom is a bad character. I like RD Ike more than PoR Ike though.

EDIT: I never meant that Ike being default guaranteed that he'd stay. I just meant that it raised his chances of staying. My bad.

Edited by Anacybele

The FE13 avatar would be great. Wind, thunder and fire moves would be neat.

Sakurai just needs the right idea planted in his head to make it happen (hooded, and male+female alt skins to avoid canon appearances).

Sakurai is a big fan of Fire Emblem, so I wouldn't be surprised if he gave the franchise three slots in the next game. Either way though, Marth isn't going anywhere.

no way Marth leaves, the series will have to take an astronomical shift for that to happen

eh don't really like Ike staying, but i'm on the Fuck Roy train, because he is just the blandest character

no way Marth leaves, the series will have to take an astronomical shift for that to happen

eh don't really like Ike staying, but i'm on the Fuck Roy train, because he is just the blandest character

You defend Marth and say Roy is bland.. Haha what a fanboy.

granted they are 2 of the more bland but Marth is the most.

You defend Marth and say Roy is bland.. Haha what a fanboy.

granted they are 2 of the more bland but Marth is the most.

I'm not defending Marth, but he won't go anywhere as essentially the series icon (hence the astronomical shift part)

Edited by shadykid

I'm not defending Marth, but he won't go anywhere as essentially the series icon (hence the astronomical shift part)

Really, the best defense for Marth staying is that he got into Brawl despite representing nothing at the time. Clearly he's protected by his representation of the franchise as a whole, plus for SSB4 he's directly representing the DS titles as well as his "lore cameo" in Awakening. . . overall, he's got an objectively high chance of returning.

As for Roy, it's safe to guess that he's not; not only was he booted out for Ike, he wasn't a base character in Melee, which puts him quite a bit far down on the priority list as far as that trend has shown.

I'd hardly call Marth the most bland lord. It's not like he's completely confident with his actions when choosing between duty and sentiment unlike other lords and he loses his composure in situations where other lords wouldn't like when telling Sheeda his feelings in FE11 (while practically every other lord out there just expresses their feelings straight out) or when he gets suprised and disgusted at Jagen's suggestion of killing off the four priestesses (any other lord would've just been like "No, I'm not doing that."). A lot of the other lords come off as more bland like Sigurd, Ephraim, and Ike due to how firm their resolve is and how they don't have any weakness, flaws, or doubts that make them seem believable or relatable. And yes, I'm a Marth fan.

Even setting aside the Marth fan inside me aside, he's still not going anywhere, being the mascot of Fire Emblem. Starring in four mainstream games (even if you discount remakes, he's still the only lord who had remakes of his games, while no other lord has), being the most reocurring FE lead, Marth being the very first paid DLC character, having the Fire Emblem Trading Card Game box with him and Sheeda at the cover (which had FEs 1, 3, 4, and 5 at the time), FE13 paying big tribute to him and his continent, that's how much IS promotes Marth and use him as the poster boy for FE. So whether you like him or not, Marth is practically guaranteed in SSB4.

And that's not even taking the fans into account, with Japanese polls themselves putting Marth as the most requested FE character in the Melee era (Oguma was second, by the way), FE3 being the most popular FE in Japan, Marth being one of the more popular Smash Bros. characters, and the FE fanbase in Japan being quite fond of Marth.

Sakurai is a big fan of Fire Emblem, so I wouldn't be surprised if he gave the franchise three slots in the next game. Either way though, Marth isn't going anywhere.

Oh, he loves FE? Awesome, awesome, awesome! :D

Personally I think that Lucina replacing Marth is rather likely.

Normally I would say it's likely that Chrom takes over Ike's slot as the clunky one, but given her popularity I simply can't see Lucina not joining.

Between her and Marth, there obviously wouldn't be much of a difference in terms of fighting style and even appearance. Fire Emblem doesn't give much to work with in that regard.

So if they would want Lucina in the cast, I simply can't see Marth staying there.

...Well, either that or they simply add Tharja as a Awakening representative. They already made figurines of her, if I remember. Not the most likely scenario but I'd say that she has a good shot.

Personally I think that Lucina replacing Marth is rather likely.

Normally I would say it's likely that Chrom takes over Ike's slot as the clunky one, but given her popularity I simply can't see Lucina not joining.

Between her and Marth, there obviously wouldn't be much of a difference in terms of fighting style and even appearance. Fire Emblem doesn't give much to work with in that regard.

So if they would want Lucina in the cast, I simply can't see Marth staying there.

...Well, either that or they simply add Tharja as a Awakening representative. They already made figurines of her, if I remember. Not the most likely scenario but I'd say that she has a good shot.

Popularity didn't get Ridley, Geno, and King K. Rool in Brawl, keep that in mind. Popularity isn't everything when it comes to getting a character in Smash Bros., especially when the characters aren't as representative to their series as other characters.

Also, Chrom is a lot more representative of FE13 and recent FEs than Lucina is, so I doubt she'd be included over Chrom, and her being included alongside Chrom is highly unlikely since that's some pretty skewed FE representation (and I doubt they'll have 2 playable characters from 1 FE title in Smash Bros).

And even if Lucina did get included, I doubt Marth would be compromised (many others and I have already explained why). That's like kicking out Pichu for Pikachu. You don't go kicking out the series mascot, especially just for a "flavour of the month" character.

if Lucina replaces Marth I won't buy the game

I kind of wish my resolve was as strong as yours, but even if Marth doesn't make it in by some freak chance, I enjoy the Smash Bros. series and the Nintendo universes way too much to boycott it because my favourite(s) didn't make it in.

The only thing that could probably stop me from getting the game is if it becomes flooded with 3rd parties and around 50% or more of the Smash Bros. cast gets compromised to make room for them, but that's practically impossible and Sakurai would be paying way too much for all those third party characters, so I doubt he'd do that if it'd dry up his wallet.

Popularity didn't get Ridley, Geno, and King K. Rool in Brawl, keep that in mind. Popularity isn't everything when it comes to getting a character in Smash Bros., especially when the characters aren't as representative to their series as other characters.

Also, Chrom is a lot more representative of FE13 and recent FEs than Lucina is, so I doubt she'd be included over Chrom, and her being included alongside Chrom is highly unlikely since that's some pretty skewed FE representation (and I doubt they'll have 2 playable characters from 1 FE title in Smash Bros).

And even if Lucina did get included, I doubt Marth would be compromised (many others and I have already explained why). That's like kicking out Pichu for Pikachu. You don't go kicking out the series mascot, especially just for a "flavour of the month" character.

I kind of wish my resolve was as strong as yours, but even if Marth doesn't make it in by some freak chance, I enjoy the Smash Bros. series and the Nintendo universes way too much to boycott it because my favourite(s) didn't make it in.

The only thing that could probably stop me from getting the game is if it becomes flooded with 3rd parties and around 50% or more of the Smash Bros. cast gets compromised to make room for them, but that's practically impossible and Sakurai would be paying way too much for all those third party characters, so I doubt he'd do that if it'd dry up his wallet.

Yes! I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that. The only exceptions I could think of would be Eirika and Ephraim, and even then I think it'd only be as a team (like the Pokemon Trainer or the Ice Climbers), and if not a team I think Ephraim would get in because his moves would be more unique.

Anyone who thinks that Marth will be replaced or cut is an imbecile.

I personally think Ike is going to stick around for Smash 4. He may not be "recent", but I really don't think Sakurai gives a damn about recentness, or at least not as much as some people give him credit for.

IDK what exactly the best thread for posting this in would be, but....

A friend of mine on smashboards is currently running a poll to determine the most wanted Smash 4 newcomers and other content(not music yet). You can vote here:

http://kwiksurveys.com/app/rendersurvey.asp?sid=3tkgn2ffap3yfcd114243

Keep in mind that this is a poll for what content you want, not content that you expect. You only get one chance to vote, so vote wisely.

Here are the most recent results for newcomers.

Hey y'all, that poll I posted passed 1000 voters a little while ago. Here's the full set of results.

Results for newcomers:

[spoiler=god tier]· Mewtwo 688

· Megaman 605

[spoiler=Top Tier]· Ridley 538

· King K. Rool 527

[spoiler="High Tier]· Roy 486
· Little Mac (Punch Out) 452

· Palutena 402

[spoiler=Mid Tier]· Bowser Junior 379
· Krystal 368
· Isaac (Golden Sun)365
· Paper Mario 357
· Chrom 331
· Waluigi 330
· Shulk (Xenoblade) 330

· Banjo & Kazooie 307

[spoiler=Low Tier]
· Dixie Kong 299
· Majora (Skull Kid) 289
· Ghirahim 269
· Samurai Goroh 269
· Black Shadow 258
· Bomberman 257
· Lyn 249
· Pac-Man 246
· 2nd Sonic Character (Tails, Shadow, Knuckles) 243
· 6th Gen Pokemon 237
· Lucina 226
· Mii (Wii Series) 224
· Bayonetta 223
· Rayman 216
· Toad 215
· Super Mario RPG (Geno, Mallow) 211
· Dark Samus 206

· Doctor Mario 201

[spoiler=Bottom Tier]
· Takamaru (The Mysterious Musasame Castle) 197
· Castlevania (Simon Belmont, Alucard, Dracula) 194
· Kingdom Hearts (Sora) 194
· Balloon Fighter 193
· Medusa 191
· Pokemon Trainer (Johto) 190
· Zoroark 190
· Saki (Sin & Punishment) 189
· Rosalina 184
· King Boo 182
· Kamek 181
· Eevee (and Eeveelutions) 177
· Ace Attorney (Phoenix Write) 174
· Tom Nook (Animal Crossing 173
· Toon Zelda 170
· Viewtiful Joe 170
· Claus (Masked Man) 167
· Dillon (Rolling Western) 167
· Crono Trigger (Crono) 167
· Pokemon Trainer (Hoenn) 166
· Vaati 165
· Anna 165
· Captain Syrup 160
· Final Fantasy (Chocobo, Black Mage, Moogle, Cloud, Lightning) 159
· Ashley 155
· Professor Layton 154
· Midna 153
· Shy Guy 152
· Tetra 151

· Ray MK (Custom Robo) 151

[spoiler=Honerable Mentions]
· Tales Series (Cless/Cress, Lloyd) 148
· Young Link 147
· Baby Mario & Luigi 145
· Mona 144
· No More Hereos (Travis Touchdown) 144
· Dark Pit 143
· Wolf Link 142

· Pokemon Trainer (Kalos) 142

[spoiler=everyone else]· Magnus 136

· Hades 135
· Slippy 130
· Scribblenauts (Maxwell) 130
· Daisy 129
· Villager (Animal Crossing) 128
· Deoxys 126
· Porky 125
· Pokemon Trainer (Sinnoh) 124
· Andy (Advanced Wars) 124
· Tharja 123
· Bandana Dee 122
· Pokemon Trainer N 122
· Funky Kong 121
· Conker's Bad Fur Day (Conker) 121
· Street Fighter (Ryu, Chun Li, M. Bison) 121
· K.K Slider (Animal Crossing) 120
· Fawful 119
· Pokemon Trainer Villain (Rocket Plasma Galactic Aqua Magma) 119
· Black Knight 119
· Impa 117
· Toon Ganondorf 116
· Lip (Panel De Pon) 115
· Meowth 114
· Knuckle Joe 112
· Micaiah 112
· Viridi 111
· Kat & Ana 110
· Classic Link 108
· Starfy (The Legendary Starfy) 108
· Pichu 107
· Plusle & Minun 107
· Eirika 105
· Genesect 104
· Prince Fluff 103
· 2nd Metal Gear Character (Raiden, Gray Fox) 100
· Fiora (Xenoblade) 101
· Tingle 99
· Toon Sheik 97
· Tiki 97
· Robin (FE:A Avatar) 96
· Baby Bowser 95
· Pokemon Champion Cynthia 95
· Alex (Golden Sun) 95
· Kumatora 93
· Yarn Kirby 89
· Hector 89
· Jimmy T. 87
· Mew 87
· Jill (Drill Dozer) 87
· Soul Calibur (Nightmare, Ivy Valentine) 85
· Peppy 84
· Poo 84
· Elite Beat Agents 83
· Duck Hunt Dog 81
· Adeliene 80
· Sylux 80
· Captain Rainbow 79
· Louie (Pikmin) 79
· Ninja Gaiden (Ryu Hayabusa) 79
· Darkrai 75
· Jeff 75
· Felix (Golden Sun) 74
· Yarn Yoshi 73
· KOS-MOS (Xenosaga) 73
· Groose 71
· Mach Rider 71
· Jody Summer 70
· Ephraim 70
· Matthew (Golden Sun) 69
· Battletoads (Zitz) 69
· Zael (The Last Story) 68
· Ninten 67
· Flint 66
· Aeron (Pandora's Tower) 65
· Captain N 65
· Mike Jones (Star Tropics) 65
· Tekken (Heihachi, Jin, Kazuya) 65
· Resident Evil [Jill Valentine Chris Redfeild Leon Kennedy) 65
· Sukapon (Joy Mech Fight) 64
· Lanky Kong 63
· Eggplant Wizard 63
· Tempo (Harmo Knight) 63
· Meloetta 62
· Paula 62
· Isa Jo (Sin & Punishment) 62
· Victini 61
· Blood Falcon 61
· Caeda 60
· Giygas 60
· Dragon Quest (Slime) 60
· Captain Quartet (Pikmin III) 58
· Gardevoir 56
· Leon 55
· Phantom Zelda 54
· Cranky Kong 52
· Mallo (Pushmo) 52
· Anthony Higgs 50
· Eliwood 50
· Excited Biker 50
· Marx 49
· Bubbles (Clu Clu Land) 49
· Alex Roivas (Eternal Darkness) 48
· Muddy Mole (Mole Mania) 48
· Donkey Kong Junior 47
· NO THIRD PARTY CHARACTERS 47
· Reyn (Xenoblade) 45
· Walhart 44
· Panther 43
· Elincia 43
· Dunban (Xenoblade) 43
· Ana 42
· Calista (The Last Story) 42
· Andross 41
· Prince Sable (For the Frog the Bell Tolls) 38
· Leaf 36
· Alice (Balloon Kid) 36
· Ashley Robbins (Trace Memory / Another Road) 34
· Gooey 32
· Magolor 31
· Orublon 30
· Sakura Samurai (Sakura Samurai: Art of the Sword) 30
· Sigurd 29
· Soren 29
· Pico 28
· Tiki Tong 27
· Stanly the Bugman 26
· Deathborn 26
· Shake King 25
· Kyle Hyde (Hotel Dusk) 24
· Ayumi Tachibana (Famicom Detective Club pt. II) 22
· Urban Champion 22
· Celice 20
· Heracles (Glory of Heracles) 20
· Hunter (Fossil Fighter) 20
· Tamagon (Devil World) 19
· Kiddie Kong 18
· Demille (Tomato Adventure) 18
· John Raimi (Geist) 18
· Daroach 17
· Hero (Magc Starsign / Vacation) 17
· Labrador / Grey Tabby (Nintendogs + Cats) 17
· Dr. Stewart 16
· Dr. Write (Sim City) 16
· Ryuta (Ouendan) 16
· Prince Richard (For the Frog the Bell Tolls) 16
· Narbarl 14
· Lark (PilotWings) 14
· Welt (Soma Bringer) 14

· Ryota Hayami (Wave Race) 13

Edited by shinpichu

Having both Chrom and Lucina in is a ridiculous idea because they're so similar. I mean, they're FATHER AND DAUGHTER. And as stated, Lucina learned from Chrom. If anything, Lucina will be in as a costume for Marth because hello, she actually masqueraded as him.

They have very different caps.

Anyway, Sakurai doesn't care about ingame fighting styles. Ike's highest stat was speed n FE9, but he was a slowpoke in SSBB.

You're just trying to justify Ike being in this game. I can't wait to see your tears when it turns out he isn't.