Marth Aka the FE chars going in SSB

shane3x

I've never said Roy wasn't iconic.I just don't think Roy's iconicism outranks Ike's. Ike clearly represents more of what I call the modern era. If you want to separate them by platforms, that's fine to. I think Roy is probably the icon of the GBA era but it doesn't make sense to compare the FE's by platform. Both Marth's and Ike's saga clearly cross platforms. And as I've said, the first three GBA lords also do have a stake, although they would ultimately lose out.And I think FE4 should get credit for the relationship system; although it's system is different, it predates FE6's. I'm talking about for FE, whose iconic for FE. If it's whose iconic in FE in relation to Smash, then there are only three choices possible and not much argument.

My point is if the defining feature of the modern era is the series being internationally released, then it make sense for the iconic character to be internationally released. International releasing the games had a greater effect on the series than anything any game in the series had previously added. I'm not saying Roy should have been cut or anything to with Sheik (I didn't really get that). Marth's iconic nature does not come from being in Smash; it comes from his role in the series and his importance to his history. First doesn't mean the most iconic. Ness appeared after Ninten for Mother, but Ness is the icon for the Mother series.

I included shadow dragon in my initial post. That post was a response to it. I mention Shadow Dragon as part of the decline aspect of the Modern Era. And I still mentioned FE12 in that post. and mention the fact it was not internationally released.

Ike has a very unique fighting style. From the way he holds his sword to how he strikes, it's different than other lords. Ike's a mercernary, and he's the most dramatic to break from the lords we have ever had in the series. I think Ephraim's decisions were more tactical in nature The main thing he shares in common is his blue hair and the fact that he wields a sword. Ike established the lord mercernary archetype, while Roy clearly comes from the tradition of the lord archetype set by Marth. And not being from royalty was very important to the series, as it reflects modern sensibilties in video game story telling. The hallmark of the modern era was hero stepping away from the conventional tropes that had occupied gaming. In terms of fighting style and background, I would argue that both make him a good rep for Smash. And Roy didn't make it in. I think clearly someone in development or at IS agreed with me, considering their status in Brawl. This isn't a shot at a Roy. But the fact is he was in Brawl while Roy wasn't. I don't think Ike is better Smasher, but Ike overall is a more unique character.

According to Sakurai, the complete roster for Brawl was finalized in 2006, aside from Sonic*. So I think it might be a false assumpton to assume Roy could have made it in with more time. You can choose not to believe his timeline, but then there would no point in reading anything else he says then. The amount of data of Roy's within the game would reflect the early dismissal of the character. And any character can be made more unique by the development. I wasn't referring to Roy in Smash however. I was referring to him in the context of his own game. Same with Ike.

*source: http://www.smashboards.com/threads/gdc-2008-meeting-masahiro-sakurai.146816/ "The COMPLETE Roster was Finalized in 2006"

To restate it very clearly, what I'm saying is about the fact that Ike is the most unique character from all the FE lords, and represents the modern sensibilities in gaming. I don't think Roy or Ike is a better smasher.

I've got nothing against Roy. I would have loved to have played his game on my GBA, and think it's pretty stupid that Nintendo never released it internationally. Just like I got nothing against Seliph, Celica, Sigurd, Alm, Lyn, Eliwood, Micaiah, and Hector, whom I haven't even really talked about. Not mentioning a game or character isn't me disregarding them, I'm just not doing a history of the series, just mentioning its eras and its most iconic character.

But I don't think anyone should discount the importance of Awakening to FE series and those main lords played a pretty big role in that. I think that should be acknowledged. The game literally saved the series. The Smash series should reflect iconicism; it should not give a series credence. I think the FE series (and any series for that matter) should be strong enough to have its own proof of it worth without looking to Smash for validation.

Note: Wow, this post was longer than I expected. In any case, I don't want to turn this into a Roy vs Ike thing. Just really want to emphasize that.

Peace friend, I finally understand your logic behind the eras. So you mean that Roy isn't inferior, he's just not modern, in terms with gaming all together, and modern FE was international. Followed by Roy just barely being from the classic era due to his japan exclusivity from his release date being four months away from melee's release and in turn, couldn't be considered a candidate for the modern era, unlike Ike who appeared within it and whose non noble character sets him apart among the lords AND fighting style fits modern gaming more than any of the modern FE candidates at the time. Even though, Roy and Eliwood weren't royalty like the other lords, yes, they did seem to cater towards what Marth established and when applied to Smash, the eras fall directly into place for FE representation. Though with your logic, I'd like to believe Roy to be the link between classic and modern eras for being different from the classic lords who were royalty and Roy having fire at his disposal, and by chance appearing internationally in Melee. I don't know whether or not he really is the link, but that's just my wishful thinking.

As for that smash board thread, with the way he portrayed how the game was made and the excessive amount of time and energy Sakurai puts in to program and balance each character, even though Roy was planned at first, I guess it just couldn't be helped and they realized that. But with that removal, his return would be all the more sweeter for players, almost as if he was a newcomer, even though he'd have to compete with Chrom, should that come to pass and I doubt FE would jump up to four reps, but then again, mario and legend of zelda did in melee but they're among the best in nintendo so that's unanimous. And with sheik, I shouldn't have just assumed that she was a playable character when she is really only a part of zelda and represents her ability to magically alter her appearance, which was featured in Wind Waker but as Tetra.

Awakening did revive FE and would in turn, start the new age but if Chrom and/or Lucina were to appear (which they probably don't need to) they'd have to have a completely diverse playstyle to Marth despite being from the same world. They may have revived FE but that doesn't make them Nintendo icons.

All in all, thanks for verifying everything. You earned my respect. Like you said, Smash showcases the icons of Nintendo, while celebrating the company history through the trophy collection. Roy's exclusion is a disappointment and his return would defy all odds. I just didn't want him to go to waste because the FE characters are my mains in Smash, including Ike in Brawl.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for that Hero-King.

Roy's in this weird spot, as Marth and Roy are the definite catalyst for Fire Emblem going international, but it leads to a specific game being developed (FE7 was specifically developed for international audiences). So he definitely could be in either era under my definition, just depends on how you want define the start of the modern era.

I would have no problem with Roy being the fourth rep as long as Awakening rep made it in, but that's very wishful thinking for Fire Emblem to get four reps, just because it's not as big as Zelda or Mario. I personally prefer Lucina to Chrom.

I think with time, we will better see what Awakening's effect was on the series and its place in the series history. I think they would definitely have a unique playstyle.

Yeah, I use all the Fire Emblem characters as my mains too. Roy was my main back in Melee, and Ike became my main in Brawl. The new FE rep or Ike will probably be my main, unless I decide to main Marth for some reason.

Super late to the conversation, but if I had to pick between Roy and Ike, I would pick Roy, and in my mind it doesn't seem all that unlikely that they may bring back some Melee characters namely Roy and Mewtwo. But that's more than likely just wishful thinking.

Posted · Hidden by Florete, August 1, 2013 - No reason given
Hidden by Florete, August 1, 2013 - No reason given

Super late to the conversation, but if I had to pick between Roy and Ike, I would pick Roy, and in my mind it doesn't seem all that unlikely that they may bring back some Melee characters namely Roy and Mewtwo. But that's more than likely just wishful thinking.

(Not sure if this has been said before) I'm 100% sure we are going to get a fire emblem awakening rep since there is a fire emblem awakening stage. (Unless they pull a smashville on us)

(Not sure if this has been said before) I'm 100% sure we are going to get a fire emblem awakening rep since there is a fire emblem awakening stage. (Unless they pull a smashville on us)

Electroplankton confirmed for Brawl then.

Having a stage doesn't confirm or deconfirm a character from the game. Sakurai mentioned that the 3DS game with have portable stages, while the Wii U version will have stages from console games, so IMO it only makes sense that they'd go for an Awakening stage, regardless of whether they plan an Awakening character.

Having a stage doesn't confirm or deconfirm a character from the game. Sakurai mentioned that the 3DS game with have portable stages, while the Wii U version will have stages from console games, so IMO it only makes sense that they'd go for an Awakening stage, regardless of whether they plan an Awakening character.

In this case Cranky Kong confirmed for brawl due to 75M :P as well.

But yeah, even if I think Chrom is likely I'm not going to spout 100% he is in just from a stage. That's just jumping the gun

Edited by Folgore Red II

he said "unless they pull a smashville on us." so he already opened up the possibility.

They could have also made a stage from Shadow Dragon or its sequel. I think an awakening rep's chances is helped by the presence of the stage. It's definitely not 100% though.

FE has quite the problem going into SSB4. The series will likely get 2-3 spots on the roster, and Marth is basically guaranteed the first FE spot. So possibly two spots left. Both Ike and Roy are veterans, so they have a good shot, but Ike has the unique, existing moveset and was in the more current SSB game, so if it came down to it I think Ike would beat out Roy for a spot. One spot of the 3 is still left for Roy to possibly take, though. However, Awakening is the best-selling, newest, and most critically acclaimed game in the series, so it clearly has a very good chance at snatching up that one spot. The main lords are Chrom and Lucina, though, which is a bit of an issue, as I'll explain.

First, Chrom is a problem child. The only iconic move he has is Aether, which is shared with Ike. Strangely, though, in Awakening it looks more like Ike's Quick Draw. However, in cutscenes, Chrom is seen flipping through the air similar to Ike. Chrom is also depicted as fairly heavy and strong, like Ike. So... unless they 100% fabricate his moveset, or stoop to utilizing his secondary weapons (unlikely, given that Ike never uses axes, and that Falchion is Chrom's signature weapon) he would have to be an almost exact Ike clone. Given that Sakurai is moving away from clones, and that he seems to be more conservative in adding roster spots this time, it seems unlikely we'll get both Chrom and Ike. But dumping Ike for his clone would be really weird. As relevant as Chrom is, Ike has a huge incumbent advantage. There would have to be a darn good reason to replace a character with an exact clone. FE characters are mostly known to the general public because of SSB, so to most people it would be dumping the famous Ike for some random new character, even if Chrom is more relevant in the actual FE series currently. Look at Roy; FE fans rarely ever talk about him because he was a bland character in a fairly bland (unlocalized) game, but he is one of the biggest faces of FE solely because of SSBM. Now imagine if, in SSBB, Ike replaced Roy but was an exact clone of Roy. Can you imagine the outrage?

So how about the other Awakening lord? Unfortunately, Lucina is so much a Marth clone that even the characters in her own game think she's Marth. The only way you can tell them apart is that her hair is longer. Appearance isn't everything, but Falco was given a spot in Melee over Wolf just due to similarities between Fox and Wolf, and this is way, way more severe than that. As for her moveset, she has all the same in-game attacks as Chrom, which as I outlined before would set her up to be an Ike clone. So... body of Marth, moveset of Ike. People seem to love Lucina as a SSB candidate, but I have yet to hear a single good reason for her inclusion other than her gender. Her appearance is a gigantic hurdle that makes her inclusion even more problematic than Chrom's. Also, there are a hundred other females in FE who would be far better series reps, even within Awakening. FeMU? Tharja? Severa? Given how restrained Sakurai seems to be regarding new characters, I see Lucina's chances as very, very slim.

So the real question is, what should Sakurai do? Keep Marth and Ike and bring back Roy, but snub Awakening? Or keep Marth and Ike and add Chrom or Lucina, despite their unoriginality? Or should Ike get cut to make room for Chrom, either as his clone or with a totally made-up moveset? That would leave a spot open for Roy. Or the spot could be filled by another more unique Awakening character like Robin or Tharja. However that would make two FE characters who have been completely cut in the SSB series (Roy and Ike). I'm very eager to see Sakurai's solution.

Personally I think making the roster Marth, Ike, and Robin (with hood up or gender changeable) would give the best representation while being the least offensive to SSB fans. Or Marth, Ike, Tharja. Miss Tharja is extremely popular overseas for... reasons, so she has the starpower to get in, and she would be a very unique addition from Awakening.

FE has quite the problem going into SSB4. The series will likely get 2-3 spots on the roster, and Marth is basically guaranteed the first FE spot. So possibly two spots left. Both Ike and Roy are veterans, so they have a good shot, but Ike has the unique, existing moveset and was in the more current SSB game, so if it came down to it I think Ike would beat out Roy for a spot. One spot of the 3 is still left for Roy to possibly take, though. However, Awakening is the best-selling, newest, and most critically acclaimed game in the series, so it clearly has a very good chance at snatching up that one spot. The main lords are Chrom and Lucina, though, which is a bit of an issue, as I'll explain.

First, Chrom is a problem child. The only iconic move he has is Aether, which is shared with Ike. Strangely, though, in Awakening it looks more like Ike's Quick Draw. However, in cutscenes, Chrom is seen flipping through the air similar to Ike. Chrom is also depicted as fairly heavy and strong, like Ike. So... unless they 100% fabricate his moveset, or stoop to utilizing his secondary weapons (unlikely, given that Ike never uses axes, and that Falchion is Chrom's signature weapon) he would have to be an almost exact Ike clone. Given that Sakurai is moving away from clones, and that he seems to be more conservative in adding roster spots this time, it seems unlikely we'll get both Chrom and Ike. But dumping Ike for his clone would be really weird. As relevant as Chrom is, Ike has a huge incumbent advantage. There would have to be a darn good reason to replace a character with an exact clone. FE characters are mostly known to the general public because of SSB, so to most people it would be dumping the famous Ike for some random new character, even if Chrom is more relevant in the actual FE series currently. Look at Roy; FE fans rarely ever talk about him because he was a bland character in a fairly bland (unlocalized) game, but he is one of the biggest faces of FE solely because of SSBM. Now imagine if, in SSBB, Ike replaced Roy but was an exact clone of Roy. Can you imagine the outrage?

So how about the other Awakening lord? Unfortunately, Lucina is so much a Marth clone that even the characters in her own game think she's Marth. The only way you can tell them apart is that her hair is longer. Appearance isn't everything, but Falco was given a spot in Melee over Wolf just due to similarities between Fox and Wolf, and this is way, way more severe than that. As for her moveset, she has all the same in-game attacks as Chrom, which as I outlined before would set her up to be an Ike clone. So... body of Marth, moveset of Ike. People seem to love Lucina as a SSB candidate, but I have yet to hear a single good reason for her inclusion other than her gender. Her appearance is a gigantic hurdle that makes her inclusion even more problematic than Chrom's. Also, there are a hundred other females in FE who would be far better series reps, even within Awakening. FeMU? Tharja? Severa? Given how restrained Sakurai seems to be regarding new characters, I see Lucina's chances as very, very slim.

So the real question is, what should Sakurai do? Keep Marth and Ike and bring back Roy, but snub Awakening? Or keep Marth and Ike and add Chrom or Lucina, despite their unoriginality? Or should Ike get cut to make room for Chrom, either as his clone or with a totally made-up moveset? That would leave a spot open for Roy. Or the spot could be filled by another more unique Awakening character like Robin or Tharja. However that would make two FE characters who have been completely cut in the SSB series (Roy and Ike). I'm very eager to see Sakurai's solution.

Personally I think making the roster Marth, Ike, and Robin (with hood up or gender changeable) would give the best representation while being the least offensive to SSB fans. Or Marth, Ike, Tharja. Miss Tharja is extremely popular overseas for... reasons, so she has the starpower to get in, and she would be a very unique addition from Awakening.

Best analysis I've seen so far.

Though instead of Tharja, I believe Validar would prove to a better choice for being a main character, and being able to represent the villainous side of FE

Chrom won't be an exact clone of Ike if he gets use of some lances, but yeah, he'd be pretty similar. I don't know about as heavy and powerful as Ike though, cause you know, Ike's got a bigger sword (and more muscle if Sakurai decides to use RD Ike this time). lol

But I don't really care who gets in for FE as long as Ike stays in the roster. <3

Edited by Anacybele

I think this is a very accurate analysis of it. There already is a FE:A stage so I think we are guaranteed a FE:A rep. I also like the idea of Robin/MU/The Avatar as the rep, since he is you, and I think many fans would love to see him over Chrom. (I also think the ability to gender swap is cool)

I don't think it quite guarantees an Awakening rep. Smashville was in Brawl, yet there was no Animal Crossing rep. That one flower stage is from a series that didn't get a rep as well, I believe.

It DOES up the chances of getting one though.

I don't see Tharja getting in, I really don't see anyone in Awakening outside Chrom, Lucina, or Robin getting in. Tharja isn't a main character, if they were to go with a mage character for SSB then I'd think they'd go with either Micaiah or Robin. But otherwise that's a pretty good analysis still think Roy could get a moveset change.

I don't see Tharja getting in, I really don't see anyone in Awakening outside Chrom, Lucina, or Robin getting in. Tharja isn't a main character, if they were to go with a mage character for SSB then I'd think they'd go with either Micaiah or Robin. But otherwise that's a pretty good analysis still think Roy could get a moveset change.

I would normally agree that non-lords are very unlikely as SSB reps, but Tharja was consistently voted as popular as the main characters of Awakening in polls, so if any non-lord has a shot, it's her. Also, I'm sure Sakurai would jump at the chance for some fanservice. (I'm looking at you ZS Samus) Robin would be the most likely mage to represent Awakening, I agree, but he/she is held back by the fact that he/she doesn't have a set appearance. Villager seems to indicate that Sakurai is okay with adding default avatar characters, but I still doubt he wants to load the roster with them. Robin could also wear his/her hood up, but that makes the character seem a little dark and creepy, given that Robin is the happy-go-lucky friendship hero in-game. Not a huge drawback, but it's there. And Micaiah isn't from Awakening, so the only way I'd imagine she could get in is if Ike is dumped for Chrom or Lucina and they want a more unique rep for FE9/10. Possible, but less likely than Tharja or Robin, if you ask me.

I really like the suggestion of Validar, though. Never thought of him. He's not all that popular, so he would be a super long shot, but he would fit well and could be the first FE villain rep! Thankfully, he doesn't share the massive bulkiness of most of FE's villains.

And yeah, Roy still does have a shot, and I think he would at the very least get the pseudo-clone treatment like Ganondorf, Falco, Wolf, and others if he made the cut. If we have learned one thing about the SSB character selection process, it's to never count out the wishes of hordes of ravenous SSB fans.

Just thought of this now. What if the Awakening rep was two in one via utilizing the pair up feature?Pairing up is probably the one feature in Awakening that wasn't borrowed and sets it apart from the rest of the series and In game, Chrom does admits that it's unseen bonds that makes his army strong and this feature being added could very well fit two characters into one, kind of like Zelda/Sheik and Pokemon Trainer, and represent Awakening as a whole. Who these two will be? The most likely candidates being Chrom/Robin for the unbreakable bond they have and for being the two main characters of the game.

Doing so could also invite a new play style and moveset off of pair up by being able to instantly change from Chrom to Robin with the push of a button and by doing also displays the dual strike ability (which in Awakening, only a lord can obtain (excluding spotpass)). Basically combining Chrom's swordplay and Robin's magic for a very powerful duo. But of course, they're not going to be on the screen at the exact same time, more like switching in and out like PKM trainer's pokemon. I'm not sure about a final smash though, but I believe this idea could very well be possible. Very extensive, but possible

This new play style will ensure that Chrom will not be a clone of Ike in any way, by having Robin to back him up. Should this idea come to pass, then only one character spot will be disputed over (IF we're getting an Awakening rep), which will be fought over between Roy and Ike (unless by some miracle, we get a 4th rep for FE like LoZ and Super Mario but that's EXTREMELY unlikely)

Edited by Hero-King

Just thought of this now. What if the Awakening rep was two in one via utilizing the pair up feature?Pairing up is probably the one feature in Awakening that wasn't borrowed and sets it apart from the rest of the series and In game, Chrom does admits that it's unseen bonds that makes his army strong and this feature being added could very well fit two characters into one, kind of like Zelda/Sheik and Pokemon Trainer, and represent Awakening as a whole. Who these two will be? The most likely candidates being Chrom/Robin for the unbreakable bond they have and for being the two main characters of the game.

Doing so could also invite a new playstyle and moveset off of pair up by being able to instantly change from Chrom to Robin with the push of a button and by doing also displays the dual strike ability (which in Awakening, only a lord can obtain (excluding spotpass)). Basically combining Chrom's swordplay and Robin's magic for a very powerful duo. But of course, they're not going to be on the screen at the exact same time, more like switching in and out like PKM trainer's pokemon.

I'm not sure about a final smash though, but I believe this idea could very well be possible. Very extensive, but possible

Chrom/Lucina with MvC-style switches and assists confirmed :B):