Marth Aka the FE chars going in SSB

shane3x

So can sombody explain why Marth can't rep Awakening himself?

Awakening is partly set in the continent of Archanea with the Falchion, Naga and Tiki, a Earth Dragon final boss, etc. Marth is mentioned several times and he has the most SpotPass versions of any character. Lucina is impersonating him.

Like, has anybody considered getting Marth and Ike in their Awakening outfits?

Edited by The Void

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because he isn't in it.

http://serenesforest.net/fe13/img/dlc0419_img.jpg

Anri can't rep Shadow Dragon either.

Anri has never been a playable character so I'm not sure what's up with you bringing him up.

Marth is the first Lord, the Lord with the most appearences in the series, is already in Smash Bros., is a SpotPass character (with a new design) who is referred to over and over gain in Awakening, etc.

You might be setting yourself for dissapointment expecting Chrom or whoever to be playable.

They have very different caps.

Anyway, Sakurai doesn't care about ingame fighting styles. Ike's highest stat was speed n FE9, but he was a slowpoke in SSBB.

You're just trying to justify Ike being in this game. I can't wait to see your tears when it turns out he isn't.

But Lucina still has all the same moves as her father.

As for Ike, I could say you're just trying to justify him being cut. He is slower in RD, which DID come out before Brawl. The Ike in Brawl is more or less a combination of both his FE incarnations. His model is taken from his Ranger class in PoR, but he uses Ragnell (which RD Ike could before promotion) and his quotes and taunts are mostly from RD (Ike's left/right taunt is actually his RD opening battle animation and he says "prepare yourself", "you'll get no sympathy from me", and "I fight for my friends" in the game as well. Not word for word, but he says very similar lines). His heaviness and slowness seem to be based off of RD Ike too.

Also, you're being very rude and I don't appreciate it.

Edited by Anacybele

tl;dr - I'd recommend maining one or two of the original 8 as backup just in case your mains don't make it.

I'm fairly certain you can expand this list to include the non-clone Melee veterans (Peach, Bowser, Zelda and Sheik), as well as Zero Suit Samus because she was shown in the first trailer.

I think Marth and Ike are bound to stay in Smash 4. I doubt it'll get more than three spots.

The two people I see fighting for this spot are Roy and Chrom. Roy's way more popular, but Chrom is newer. Newness isn't one of Sakurai's criteria, but he always seems to add some new characters who didn't exist when the last installment came out (Melee was Sheik, Pichu, Roy, Ganondorf and Falco I think. Brawl was Ike, Lucas and Lucario.) I really think it's a coinflip between these two.

Edited by Dinfinitysignfina

Roy? Popular? I've seen more hate for him than I have love. But I seriously hope Chrom gets in over him. Roy is boring and his game sounds equally boring, imo.

Roy may not be all that popular in his own series, but he was a fan favorite in Melee. Hell, Roy used to be my main in Melee, and I was pretty disappointed that he didn't return to Brawl. In any case, it's not worth getting so worked up over what FE character will or will not be in SSB4, so just chill~

Well, nobody out west likes him and Smash Bros. seems to cater more to the west. Also, Japan doesn't like Ike much (his manliness must be too much for them), yet he got in Brawl. Chrom could easily be chosen over anyone else as the newbie. Just saying.

Well, nobody out west likes him and Smash Bros. seems to cater more to the west. Also, Japan doesn't like Ike much (his manliness must be too much for them), yet he got in Brawl. Chrom could easily be chosen over anyone else as the newbie. Just saying.

I... I like Roy... He's one of my favorites...

Did you seriously just ignore EVERYTHING in the post above you? He flat out said "Roy is the third most popular lord in Japan". According to those polls, the only lords more popular are Lucina and your precious Ike. Obviously, people like Roy.

Smash doesn't cater to the west. In fact, it caters more to the desires of Japan. Don't believe me? Look at Jigglypuff. She's very popular in Japan, but I doubt any Western player would miss her if she got cut. Look at Wolf and Krystal. Krystal is more popular in the west than Wolf was, but Wolf was more popular than Krystal in Japan. I think you know who got in (Wolf).

Ike was added because he talked to the guys over at IS and said "Hey dudes, I want to put another Fire Emblem character in Smash. Who do you guys want in?" and they said Ike. Ike's lack of popularity had nothing to do with it. He did this same thing with Melee and they told him to put Roy in (iirc, Sakurai wanted to put Sigurd in).

I said nobody OUT WEST likes Roy. Not nobody at all. And if Smash Bros. caters more to the east, why was Roy cut instead of kept alongside Ike? Because he's not as popular over here. People out west seem to favor Ike and that's probably why he was included. Roy was only in Melee for advertising his game, which wasn't out yet. Ike's games were already out when Brawl was released. PoR was out a whole three years before, in fact.

Also, last time I checked a Japanese lord popularity poll, Ike was near the bottom. I doubt that would change so suddenly.

I... I like Roy... He's one of my favorites...

So do I, in FE and in Smash, and I'm in the West. FE6 isn't that bad, really.

But to be honest despite his popularity Roy is probably not coming back, because I don't see FE getting more than three characters and that third spot is likely going to someone from Awakening.

I like Roy from what I've played through most of his game, even if the writing and dialogue is pretty bland compared to other FEs. I attribute that as a fault of the writing staff, because outside of his lack of personality he's cool enough to me.

There are plenty of FE characters I would like or wouldn't mind seeing in Smash Bros. (so much so that sometimes I wish the series were popular enough for it to get its own crossover fighting game like Tales and others did), but I'm personally hoping for Lyn (since she's been featured as an assist already) or Chrom/Lucina (either or). They should bring back Marth, Ike and/or Roy; I think with how well its been doing over here recently, it should definitely have 3 or 4 slots for FE representation.

A Fire Emblem fighting game would so rock...

But I agree, FE deserves four reps at the most due to just how MUCH there is to represent. So many characters and locations! I would go for Marth (retro games), Ike (home console games), Chrom (handheld/most recent guy), and Ephraim (uniqueness, awesome lance dude).

My picks for assist trophies would be Lucina (obvious reasons), Soren (popularity and importance in the games he appears in), and Frederick (come on, you should expect this one, I love Freddy!). I don't care for Lyn.

Edited by Anacybele

So ThajraAssault(aka Shortie)'s poll recently his 1174 voters. Here are the results:

[spoiler=Uber Tier]

· Mewtwo 799

[spoiler=Top Tier]

· King K. Rool 623

· Ridley 621

[spoiler=High Tier]

· Roy 570

· Little Mac (Punch Out) 513

[spoiler=Mid Tier]

· Palutena 467

· Bowser Junior 456

· Krystal 451

· Isaac (Golden Sun) 422

· Paper Mario 412

[spoiler=Low Tier]

· Waluigi 391

· Chrom 390

· Shulk (Xenoblade) 372

· Dixie Kong 358

· Banjo & Kazooie 352

· Majora (Skull Kid) 340

· Ghirahim 315

· Samurai Goroh 315

· Pac-Man 300

[spoiler=Bottom Tier]

· Black Shadow 298

· 2nd Sonic Character (Tails, Shadow, Knuckles) 293

· Bomberman 292

· Lyn 287

· 6th Gen Pokemon 277

· Toad 255

· Lucina 252

· Mii (Wii Series) 251

· Rayman 245

· Dark Samus 240

· Zoroark 236

· Bayonetta 236

· Super Mario RPG (Geno, Mallow) 234

· Castlevania (Simon Belmont, Alucard, Dracula) 228

· Kingdom Hearts (Sora) 227

· Takamaru (The Mysterious Musasame Castle) 222

· Rosalina 220

· Pokemon Trainer (Johto) 219

· Ace Attorney (Phoenix Write) 218

· Doctor Mario 215

· Kamek 214

· Medusa 214

· King Boo 213

· Balloon Fighter 213

· Eevee (and Eeveelutions) 210

· Saki (Sin & Punishment) 210

· Pokemon Trainer (Hoenn) 201

· Toon Zelda 200

[spoiler=Almost Tier ]

· Claus (Masked Man) 199

· Vaati 197

· Viewtiful Joe 195

· Tom Nook (Animal Crossing 191

[spoiler=Everyone Else !]

· Tetra 188

· Midna 187

· Dillon (Rolling Western) 184

· Wolf Link 182

· Crono Trigger (Crono) 182

· Professor Layton 181

· Tales Series (Cless/Cress, Lloyd) 181

· Final Fantasy (Chocobo, Black Mage, Moogle, Cloud, Lightning) 180

· Ashley 179

· Shy Guy 175

· Young Link 174

· Anna 172

· Captain Syrup 170

· Dark Pit 169

· Baby Mario & Luigi 168

· Ray MK (Custom Robo) 168

· Pokemon Trainer (Kalos) 167

· Magnus 166

· No More Hereos (Travis Touchdown) 160

· Mona 156

· Scribblenauts (Maxwell) 156

· Deoxys 155

· Hades 154

· Daisy 149

· Bandana Dee 148

· Pokemon Trainer (Sinnoh) 147

· Slippy 145

· Porky 145

· Conker's Bad Fur Day (Conker) 144

· Pokemon Trainer N 142

· Black Knight 141

· Street Fighter (Ryu, Chun Li, M. Bison) 141

· Pokemon Trainer Villain (Rocket Plasma Galactic Aqua Magma) 140

· Knuckle Joe 138

· Funky Kong 137

· Andy (Advanced Wars) 137

· Meowth 134

· Micaiah 134

· Impa 133

· Fawful 132

· Classic Link 129

· Tharja 129

· K.K Slider (Animal Crossing) 129

· Starfy (The Legendary Starfy) 129

· Toon Ganondorf 128

· Plusle & Minun 127

· Pichu 125

· Kat & Ana 124

· Genesect 124

· Prince Fluff 123

· Lip (Panel De Pon) 122

· Viridi 121

· 2nd Metal Gear Character (Raiden, Gray Fox) 114

· Eirika 113

· Tingle 112

· Pokemon Champion Cynthia 112

· Toon Sheik 111

· Baby Bowser 109

· Fiora (Xenoblade) 107

· Robin (FE13 Avatar) 106

· Kumatora 106

· Tiki 105

· Alex (Golden Sun) 104

· Soul Calibur (Nightmare, Ivy Valentine) 104

· Yarn Kirby 102

· Poo 101

· Hector 100

· Mew 98

· Jill (Drill Dozer) 98

· Peppy 97

· Jimmy T. 96

· Darkrai 96

· Sylux 95

· Battletoads (Zitz) 95

· Adeliene 92

· Duck Hunt Dog 92

· Ninja Gaiden (Ryu Hayabusa) 92

· Louie (Pikmin) 89

· Elite Beat Agents 88

· KOS-MOS (Xenosaga) 88

· Jeff 87

· Captain Rainbow 85

· Ninten 83

· Yarn Yoshi 82

· Felix (Golden Sun) 82

· Ephraim 81

· Zael (The Last Story) 81

· Mach Rider 80

· Groose 79

· Tekken (Heihachi, Jin, Kazuya) 78

· Blood Falcon 77

· Paula 77

· Matthew (Golden Sun) 77

· Resident Evil (Jill Valentine Chris Redfeild Leon Kennedy) 77

· Jody Summer 76

· Mike Jones (Star Tropics) 76

· Victini 75

· Eggplant Wizard 75

· Aeron (Pandora's Tower) 75

· Sukapon (Joy Mech Fight) 74

· Dragon Quest (Slime) 74

· Flint 73

· Meloetta 70

· Giygas 70

· Lanky Kong 69

· Captain N 69

· Gardevoir 68

· Captain Quartet (Pikmin 3) 65

· Tempo (Harmo Knight) 67

· Isa Jo (Sin & Punishment) 66

· Phantom Zelda 65

· Caeda 65

· Leon 62

· Cranky Kong 61

· Excited Biker 58

· Mallo (Pushmo) 58

· Anthony Higgs 55

· Bubbles (Clu Clu Land) 55

· Muddy Mole (Mole Mania) 55

· Eliwood 54

· Marx 53

· Ana 53

· Donkey Kong Junior 52

· Panther 52

· NO THIRD PARTY CHARACTERS 52

· Andross 52

· 52 (1.5%)

· Alex Roivas (Eternal Darkness) 50

· Dunban (Xenoblade) 50

· Reyn (Xenoblade) 50

· Elincia 48

· Calista (The Last Story) 48

· Walhart 47

· Prince Sable (For the Frog the Bell Tolls) 43

· Leaf 41

· Alice (Balloon Kid) 39

· Sakura Samurai (Sakura Samurai: Art of the Sword) 38

· Magolor 37

· Ashley Robbins (Trace Memory / Another Road) 37

· Gooey 35

· Orublon 33

· Soren 33

· Pico 32

· Shake King 31

· Sigurd 31

· Tiki Tong 30

· Deathborn 30

· Stanly the Bugman 28

· Kyle Hyde (Hotel Dusk) 26

· Urban Champion 25

· Celice 24

· Ayumi Tachibana (Famicom Detective Club pt. II) 23

· Hunter (Fossil Fighter) 23

· Heracles (Glory of Heracles) 22

· Tamagon (Devil World) 22

· Kiddie Kong 21

· Daroach 21

· Demille (Tomato Adventure) 21

· Dr. Stewart 20

· John Raimi (Geist) 20

· Hero (Magc Starsign / Vacation) 19

· Labrador / Grey Tabby (Nintendogs + Cats) 19

· Dr. Write (Sim City) 18

· Ryuta (Ouendan) 18

· Prince Richard (For the Frog the Bell Tolls) 18

· Narbarl 17

· Welt (Soma Bringer) 16

· Lark (PilotWings) 15

· Ryota Hayami (Wave Race) 15

• 2 weeks later...

Allow me to clarify this argument. First off, Ike has no priority over Roy for the next Smash Bros. And if it were a popularity contest like your showing it to be, then Roy WOULD STILL be in Smash Bros. I'll have you know Pit was intended to be in the first smash bros but wasn't from time constraints and trouble with wing animations. He was going to be brought back as a retro in melee but BARELY lost out to Ice Climbers. Now if newcomers were based on western interest like you're implying Anacybele, why was Pit included at all when Kid Icarus hasn't been around for about 20 years at the time? If Pit can make such a huge comeback, then its anyone's guess which FE lord is in or not (except Marth, who's a guaranteed yes and Lucina, who wont because of Marth and Chrom having a priority over her for being the actual lord of the game)

I said nobody OUT WEST likes Roy. Not nobody at all. And if Smash Bros. caters more to the east, why was Roy cut instead of kept alongside Ike? Because he's not as popular over here. People out west seem to favor Ike and that's probably why he was included. Roy was only in Melee for advertising his game, which wasn't out yet. Ike's games were already out when Brawl was released. PoR was out a whole three years before, in fact.

Also, last time I checked a Japanese lord popularity poll, Ike was near the bottom. I doubt that would change so suddenly.

You forget that Roy was INTENDED to be in brawl but wasn't due to time constraints. Randoman already proved that Ike wasn't favored to replace Roy. And Roy gained his fan base from his debut in melee, not his own game. Just merely appearing in Smash Bros is advertisement enough for any series, regardless of what it is. His cut from Brawl wasn't from people not liking Roy, quite the opposite, people were SHOCKED from his exclusion and some arguably prefer Roy to Marth due to having a FIRE SWORD and teasing Marth for his bishounen look (Be honest, who doesn't like a guy with a fire sword, all bias aside? Even though I prefer Marth to any one else from the get go). Why else would there be so many hacks in Brawl for Roy? From costume slots to even taking over a CHARACTER SLOT with a full moveset. Go on this site and search for Roy. He's BEEN a fan favorite http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/

Furthermore, I guarantee Ike wasn't included for popularity reasons. I could even bet more than half of all the Ike fans didn't even know Ike prior to Brawl. I didn't. Even though the FE series was localized, not everyone was exactly into FE at the time..Hell, I didn't even know any of the FE lords or their respective games until Brawl (except Blazing Sword and Sacred Stones which I noticed in a store but never got because I didnt know anything about them) because FE had such poor advertising before Awakening and I only got shadow dragon because I stumbled upon it and recognized Marth. Your claims against Roy are a false attempt to justify Ike's position in SSB4 when his chances are anybody's biased guess.

And an extra note, why would Smash Bros be catering to the west more than the east when the game is developed in JAPAN and then LOCALIZED EVERYWHERE ELSE? In retrospect, Japan practically owns the whole gaming industry.

Another fact: Marth and Roy were only meant to be in the Japanese version of Melee, but were put in anyway because of western interest of the two mystery swordsmen from the demo. And then in Brawl, there was a masterpiece of Monsho no Nazo in the Japan version only

Roy may not be all that popular in his own series, but he was a fan favorite in Melee. Hell, Roy used to be my main in Melee, and I was pretty disappointed that he didn't return to Brawl. In any case, it's not worth getting so worked up over what FE character will or will not be in SSB4, so just chill~

He was for a lot of people. And I'll have you know, his game is actually the most desired out of the japan only games COMBINED. Check the third last poll as proof http://fireemblem.wikia.com/wiki/Fire_Emblem_Wiki:Archived_Polls

He did this same thing with Melee and they told him to put Roy in (iirc, Sakurai wanted to put Sigurd in).

Actually, according to this post, it was Leaf:

• Leaf was considered as Marth's clone, but when Sakurai went to Intelligent Systems for approval they gave him an early look at the GBA Fire Emblem, and he agreed that Roy would be a better fit. Sakurai mentions his fire properties as making him stand out.

Seeing how Leaf was the only reoccurring Fire Emblem character besides Marth to have been a lord (so basically, he was like Ike in how he was a lord and he was in two games, though he was only a lead in one game unlike Ike), it's believable enough. I'm quite suprised that Sakurai stuck with Roy though. Sure, Roy had the fire, but Leaf was pretty much the 2nd most important FE protagonist at the time and his appearance was greatly distinct compared to Marth, or any lord really, since he wears mostly white instead of blue and even now he's the only lord to have brown hair which is a big deviation from the typical blue (yeah, I know it's because Leaf wasn't designed to be a lord and the idea of making him one for FE5 came a lot later after FE4). Leaf also could've used fire, electric, wind, and holy elemental sword attacks, to reference his ability to control all magic (barring dark) in FE4 as a Master Knight. Come to think of it, seeing how Sakurai prioritized Roy over Leaf in Melee despite Leaf being in two FEs and being a lord in one, something similar might happen regarding Chrom and Ike...

Sigurd being planned for any Smash Bros. game is completely false, and were nothing more than rumours made up by Sigurd fans themselves. They claimed that Sigurd was Sakurai's most favourite FE character, but it was actually Navarre. Sigurd also wasn't even in the top 3 most requested characters for Melee. That list went as follows:

(1) Marth: 21

(2) someone from Fire Emblem: 18

(3) Oguma: 8

(4) Celice: 4

(5) Siglud: 2

(5) Leaf: 2

Source

In retrospect, Japan practically owns the whole gaming industry.

sorry, Japan's influence on video games (particularly home consoles) is steadily declining, look at Sony not really giving a shit about their Japanese PS4 launch and the diminishing share of the market they have

Edited by shadykid

Oh really? Thats a surprise

yeah, the Wii has sold a grand total of 12,682,246 units in Japan while the PS3 has 9,320,829 there, which is like ~1/8 the worldwide numbers (both numbers via the most recent Media Create)

while this generation has sold way more consoles than the last one worldwide, the amount of home consoles in Japan has actually shrunk this generation

Then how come Roy is one of the most requested characters out here? Smash caters more to the East. Fire Emblem reps, Lucas,ect. The only time Smash really catered to the West was Sonic.

• 2 weeks later...

while this generation has sold way more consoles than the last one worldwide, the amount of home consoles in Japan has actually shrunk this generation

While the handheld market blew up in Japan. Last time I checked, 3DS/Vita games are about $60 in US currency. While home console games are about 40 US dollars in Japan.