If you were to create a new Weapon Type... What would it be?

Weapon Type Poll  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following would you like to be in Fire Emblem?

Familiars / attack animals

Like trainable attack dogs/hawks/golems/etc

Sort of like a Tamer class

Honestly, knives could suffice for 'thrown swords'. Heck, unlike hand-axes and the like, they were ACTUALLY USED in that manner! So why throwing knives don't exist already outright baffles me. I think someone there just really hates swords TBH.

Anyways, I voted for water, though, honestly, I'd like to see magic become a bit more than 'just attacks RES weapons' stuff. Even something as simple as giving people hit by it a status effect (Wind reduces speed by 2 stacking. Fire SKL by 2, thunder DEF by 2, Water RES by 2) would be... at least DIFFERENT (in a good way).

Edit: After all, how many times have you seen a dumb mage who is not some sort of savant/supernaturally gifted at magic? Magic is supposed to require intelligence and study, yet magic users seem to be too dumb to wear armor or ride (at least most of the time). Even if they're just average-smarts, where is all that brainpower going?

Edited by Snowy_One

Honestly, knives could suffice for 'thrown swords'. Heck, unlike hand-axes and the like, they were ACTUALLY USED in that manner! So why throwing knives don't exist already outright baffles me. I think someone there just really hates swords TBH.

They DID have throwing knives in FE10. In fact, all knives that weren't daggers were throwing knives. Anyway, I voted for croswbows. They should have be own category with weapon levels and something like luna+ to make them more usefull than they were in FE10.

They DID have throwing knives in FE10. In fact, all knives that weren't daggers were throwing knives. Anyway, I voted for croswbows. They should have be own category with weapon levels and something like luna+ to make them more usefull than they were in FE10.

Crossbows were great in theory, horrible in practice, BUT... They brought a brand-new game mechanic. IMO, Crossbows should have been 'universal' in that ANYONE could use them regardless of weapon-level and such. Archers and other bow-users would be able to get bonus damage/make them effective against fliers/other stuff.

I think guns would be out of place, but a sling or atlatl could fit as a third ranged weapon. If you absolutely have to have guns, a Chinese fire lance (basically, a spear with a gun barrel full of powder and shot attached to the end) could be a good compromise between guns and Fire Emblem. I would also think about "trap" weapons like caltrops. Then again, maybe not. Those could be prone to abuse.

Edit: forgot about chakram. They'd make a good throwing weapon too. Now that I think about it, India's given us some weird ass (yet cool) bladed weapons. Dandpatta, bagh nakh, Katars, and urumi "whip swords"...those guys definitely had a style all their own in the weapons department.

Roman scissors could make for lulz too. Get a 'zerker to dual wield those and watch enemies wet themselves.

Edited by Sheik

Flails and maces are the only weapons I see that fit in the Fire Emblem Medieval-Fantasy setting.

Actually, all of them fit to some degree. Guns started appearing towards the end of the medieval period and various other fantasy games *coughFinalFantasyVIcough* have shown that they CAN work. Daggers have already appeared in FE as a weapon type so... That's kinda given. If they hadn't been so sucky they might have even stayed. Shockingly, tanks *DO* work to at least to a VERY minor degree (Leonardo designed at least one). Though that is more of a renaissance thing. Crossbows both have been in FE before and would fit in easily with the setting. Fencer swords already exist (Rapiers) in FE. Fist Gear wouldn't have trouble fitting in at all, same with unarmed combat. Duel swords were certainly a thing and it wasn't unknown for someone to carry around a dagger for defensive purposes. Duel axes existed, though mainly among barbarians. There are some accounts of vikings using two lances in combat, throwing one or both and the using the other/retrieving them to fight on. Water magic fits in perfectly with the magic system, makes sense as an alchemical element, AND kind of already exists (Blizzard).

The only ones that could be really argued to not fit, at least from a lore PoV, is guns, tanks, and throwable swords. Throwing swords can be answered with throwing-knives leaving just guns and tanks. Seriously, though, no grenades/bombs? Those existed back then (though in a VERY different form).

I guess I say tanks. Because I absolutely adore the tanks in Tear Ring Saga.

I originally thought they were useless but having send Thomas the Tankengine send over to Holmes group, gave him plenty of opportunity to kill harpies who were futility trying to crack his armor.

Gargoyles didn't do much better except he couldn't counter them. Oh, and they can be used as Ballista as well.

Dual Wielding would be pretty amazing, the mechanics on that would be somewhat hard to pull off though I think. Maybe base it on a combination of Speed and Skill?

perhaps you use two weapons at once at the cost of them both degrading...(only way I'd see it done...)

honestly adding weapon types would be hard to do in FE...

It could go with a DnD angle where it exchange for the might increase it lowers dexterity (skill/speed, I guess)

Guns could work. They could even be magic guns, I guess. Cannons have been a round for a long time, and flamethrowers I believe have shown up in the 900s (though as anti-ship weapons. see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pen_Huo_Qi ). The predecessor to rifles, the Arquebus started showing up in the 1500s, which could very easily fit it, especially if they want to start doing a technological revolution kind of thing (doubt it).

From a mechanics aspect, it could still be balanced. Personally, I have an obsession with steampunk, so I'd opt for steamrifles/blunderbusses myself.

Bow > Magic > Gun > Bow

This is genius (in my opinion). I for one would love to see guns and one or more gunner classes in Fire Emblem. Guns have existed since the middle ages and were there was definitely some overlap between their use and the use of swords, axes, and the like. Not that Fire Emblem has to be realistic, there is magic after all. But adding guns to make a ranged weapons triangle would be a great addition to the game in my opinion.

This is genius (in my opinion). I for one would love to see guns and one or more gunner classes in Fire Emblem. Guns have existed since the middle ages and were there was definitely some overlap between their use and the use of swords, axes, and the like. Not that Fire Emblem has to be realistic, there is magic after all. But adding guns to make a ranged weapons triangle would be a great addition to the game in my opinion.

I agree as well. My only problem with this is that ranged in general is pretty underpowered. Maybe, instead, it should be (Bow > Magic > Gun > Bow) > Thrown. I don't think that will solve the problems with ranged though. Until Ranged sorts out it's weaknesses though, making it more complex seems like a step backwards.

Katanas. Exclusive to the Myrmidon and Swordmaster class and it's the only weapon they can use. teehee

Or Drive Blades. Single burst attack that deals massive damage but can't be used again for a while.

Perhaps labeling them guns and firearms won't make them as attractive to FE players.

May I suggest more archaic names such as matchlocks or flintlocks?

FE's period would fit up to the Renaissance era where armor design has reached its pinnacle.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't really think guns would be a good weapon type in the Fire Emblem series.

It would seem awkward, since most of them involve normal, old-ish weapons.

I'd wanna see dual-wield weapons. And daggers. They could be like knives.

• 2 months later...

You forgot the best weapon of all... scythes, man.

I would love to see dual wielding.

And whips WOULD be awesome, inner Castlevania fan talking or not.

how come anyone fail to mention the CARDS weapons?? :[

These here are great ideas.