Libra/Cordelia

Donnel/Nowi
Virion/Tharja

Stahl/Olivia

Vaike/Cherche

Yarne/Noire

Makes sense, in my book.

Edited by ZeeEmm

How dare you even consider Virion deserving of Cherche?

Heh, I was going to get to my honorable mentions (i.e., my preferred pairings, even if not my headcanon ones) later, but I may as well do it now.

Since you asked, Virion x Cherche - A lot of people pair these two together, and there's a very good reason why. Cherche has been serving House Virion for years, and she knows him better than just about anyone else. There's a lot more to Virion than meets the eye. To quote the wiki: "While he acts friendly, his words and actions leave his grace and refinement somewhat unclear. He is a shameless flirt - but one who becomes offended if someone suggests he has more lecherous intentions." It's easy to see Virion as a quite vain and shallow person, but his supports with various characters hint at something much more complex beneath the surface. And I feel like Cherche is the only person who has ever really seen those sides of him and can understand him. She can see right through all the dramatics and flamboyance he tries to project and know when something is really bothering him, and whether or not he's being sincere. She also knows exactly how to deal with him when he's being over the top. From her very first introduction I could tell that this was a woman who knew how to handle the guy. She has just the right balance of sternness, bluntness, kindness, and perceptivity to keep things on track. I could quote line after line of their various interactions, but I'll settle for the conclusion of their S support - "Stray from me but once, and I'll feed you to Minerva as a snack." "Er, can we please save the threats? This is meant to be a happy moment!" "Just doing my due diligence, love!" Come on. How is she not the perfect match for him?

...Well, unfortunately, she isn't, because Gregor x Cherche and Virion x Tharja overrule them. As much as I love this pairing, there are far more hints supporting the other two, between connections with their children and smooth continuations into Future Past scripts.

......But I still like Virion x Cherche better.

............So there.

Henry x Panne - I owe this one to a certain tumblr blogger who drew an amazing fancomic of these two (it's called "A Farewell Gift", go read it if you haven't!). Again, something I never would have thought of on my own but by the end it was surprisingly heartwarming and made a lot of sense. The author wrote out an explanation for the pairing at the end of the comic, and I'm not even going to bother paraphrasing because why bother when it's perfectly understandable already and I'd probably just mess it up:

"I think Henry is very difficult to pair, because more often than not his supports feel a bit sudden and random. I get the feeling he isn't being sincere at all when confessing! I can't tell when his smile is an honest one, for we know that his constant happy face is a mechanism to deal with the pain he's been through. But his confession with Panne felt really 'true' to me. I think Henry sees a lot of his 'mommy wolf' in Panne, and can't help clinging to her like a child. Also, her being a taguel makes her more of a beast than a human, and from Henry's experience beasts are far more caring and honest beings than men. That's why I think he can be true to his feelings with Panne."

To add onto this, I can even see some slight parallels between Henry and Yarne, as Henry can be cowardly, and it's also incredibly difficult to tell where his true loyalties lie, so Yarne's anxiety over him possibly leaving Panne is well-founded. But Gaius overrules him due to his own parallels and Future Past continuations. Still a cute pairing though.

Henry x Olivia - I'm pretty sure this pairing was largely popular at one point or another, but because I was introduced to this series late I missed out. I like these two together for roughly the same reasons everyone else does. Unfortunately, this is also the only pairing I can think of whose supports were so drastically changed during translation, and not for the better. I have to give major props to the localization team for the majority of their work on Awakening, but this is one of the few instances where they did more harm than good. "Wizard school"...honestly. And Olivia comes off as reeeeally patronizing in the English version too - reminds me of all the irritating misconceptions of therapy - whereas in the original script she actually does end up helping him. But when reading a proper translation of the Japanese script, I can see why people put them together. Unfortunately, it doesn't carry over well at all to Inigo's supports - Henry is even less suited to the "chastising father" role than Ricken is - and there aren't any parallels or Future Past connections. So there really isn't any way for it to work. Which is too bad. Because their original supports are rich in character development, and I love that.

...I'm just gonna drop this here: http://kakuseis.dreamwidth.org/6024.html

Rather than go off on a tangent about each and every alternate pairing I like, I'm just going to list the rest and maybe add a sentence or two to each one: Chrom x FeMU (I don't think I really have to explain this one), Frederick x Sumia (brilliant foils of each other and probably the most romantic S support I've ever seen), Henry x Tharja (two semi-insane dark mages just seem to go well together; also explains Noire's shifting personality), Gaius x Maribelle (elaborate backstory and sweet supports), Ricken x Nowi (already talked about them), Panne x Gregor (cute supports and ending; personalities seem to blend together nicely), Kellam x Miriel (poor guy finally gets paid attention to for once; Miriel actually seems to becoming rather attached to him by Support A), and...probably a bunch more, but that's all I've got off the top of my head. They're not my headcanons anyway, so it doesn't matter too much. But I consider them nice alternative options.

DraconicFeline who did you marry?

On my first two runs I married Chrom. My pairings were all screwed up at the time, haha. On my latest run I'm playing as a male MU and pairing everyone up to match my headcanons, which I hadn't properly sorted out until recently. I'm planning on marrying Emmeryn once I get her to avoid disrupting the other pairings. DLC characters are great for that. And I really like Emmeryn. She was designed to be well-loved, and I grew rather attached to her before her "death". I also like the idea of helping her through her amnesia, waiting for her to fully recover. And it goes well with the rest of the family, that's for sure...

Oh ffs, why do people keep insisting that Chrom/Sumia is all about pies? Have these people even READ the supports? Pies may have had a prominent presence in the support, but the heart and soul of their supports is Sumia looking out for Chrom and doing what she can to help him out. It's sweet and cute, and if I wasn't an adamant supporter of Fred/Sumia, I'd have paired those two up. I hated the pairing at first, but then all the stupid, irrational hate and claims against the pairing has made me a supporter.

I have indeed read the supports, and you have to admit, the pies are the primary topic of conversation. They can't even drop it in their S support. Chrom pretty much outright says that the reason he's marrying her is because she was kind enough to cook for him. I just wish there were a bit more depth than that.

I'm not a hater, though. I happen to like Sumia; she's sweet, if a bit one-dimensional. I agree that the irrational Chrom x Sumia (and, well, just Sumia) bashing is uncalled for. I certainly wasn't trying to be one of those people. I even think their confession scene is adorable, and I wish their actual supports were more like that, because I'd probably like the pairing a lot better if they were. But compared to what the story can become if you pair Chrom and FeMU together, Chrom x Sumia just kind of falls flat for me. It may be canon, but that doesn't mean I can't prefer a different option.

Why did you revive this unholy thread?

Eheh, sorry. Couldn't resist.

...Truthfully, I was late in joining this particular fandom and wanted a chance to throw my two cents in. Even if everyone else has already done it :P

Edited by DraconicFeline

Welcome to localization.

...Oh. Well then.

Okay, I take back most of what I said and now blame the localization team. Honestly, what were they thinking...?

I still prefer Chrom x FeMU but at least Chrom x Sumia is a lot better than I initially thought. That was actually really sweet. I'm a bit frustrated with myself now for not checking that much sooner...especially after reading the disaster that is Henry x Olivia's translated supports...I really should have known better. Damn localization.

But they did such a good job with almost everything else...so why? ;n; I don't get it OTL

Edited by DraconicFeline

Guess the localization team wasn't too fond of Chrom x Sumia. :P

It's all due to value differentiation. Western gamers are more fond of choice with their pairings, while Eastern gamers are more into the whole "OTP" style that some games/anime tend to do. It's the same deal with the "Companion" tag that Lucina & Owain get if you S support them, IIRC, since the Japanese don't look down on cousin-cousin pairings quite as badly as Western gamers do.

I agree that Chrom x Sumia is better in the Japanese version. Way better (I have read it, yes). It's a reason I prefer it over Chrom x Female Avatar. The other reason? Even pies are better than saying you love each other just because you saw one another naked. That support was funny, sure, but not how I'd develop a romance at all. It's the person you should love, not their body. And I don't get this kind of vibe from the support at all. Also, I find Chrom rather boring anyway. The main story stuff isn't enough to change my mind on the pairing either.

But this is just my opinion, I know many rabid Chrom fangirls would love to bash me because I don't agree with them. But again, it's just my opinion, and no one needs to pay it any mind.

Is this thing ever going to die?

So by the way, according to the third drama CD, Chrom x Generic Village girl is canon.

Lucina has no siblings.

And Gerome x Lucina is hinted. Same with Gerome x Azure/Inigo.

Batman is a player.

Is this thing ever going to die?So by the way, according to the third drama CD, Chrom x Generic Village girl is canon.Lucina has no siblings.And Gerome x Lucina is hinted. Same with Gerome x Azure/Inigo.Batman is a player.

HELLA. Chrom/Maiden OTP forever.

(Okay now I am done with this thread.)

So by the way, according to the third drama CD, Chrom x Generic Village girl is canon.

Lucina has no siblings.

Batman is a player.

Are you joking?

If you're not, huh.

Edited by The Void

Thinking about it, Villager Girl being Chrom's official wife isn't that much of a surprise.

She is the girl who marries Chrom by default if the player doesn't change things so that Chrom marries any of his other options. And when that happens, isn't the player changing Chrom's fate?

Yarne/Nah: Partly because their supports are sweet and fun, but mostly because I want my bunny-dragons.

Owain/Cynthia: This fits almost painfully well. Two different flavors of delusional, creating one delicious smoothie of crazy.

Virion/Olivia: Here we see a rare moment where Virion actually manages to come off as charming and smooth, instead of the usual, where he makes a fool out of himself, in the most spectacular way possible. Also Inigo looks boss with 'dat hair. Just saying.

Edited by Mister Sunshine Sprinkles

Lucina has no siblings.

Batman is a player.

I wanted to say my headcanon pairings too, but I don't want everyone to get mad at me for keeping the thread alive and I don't want people to bash me

You know, it's funny how people complain about Chrom x Olivia not making sense simply because "they just met" but nobody says anything about Chrom x Maiden because they just met too. Lissa says so. "Two years ago, strangers"

If Chrom x Maiden can be canon, then Chrom x Olivia is perfectly reasonable, imo. Even if it isn't canon. Just throwing my two cents out there. I'm perfectly fine with Chrom x Maiden, don't get me wrong. :P

You know, it's funny how people complain about Chrom x Olivia not making sense simply because "they just met" but nobody says anything about Chrom x Maiden because they just met too. Lissa says so. "Two years ago, strangers"

If Chrom x Maiden can be canon, then Chrom x Olivia is perfectly reasonable, imo. Even if it isn't canon. Just throwing my two cents out there. I'm perfectly fine with Chrom x Maiden, don't get me wrong. :P

You're not looking hard enough in the right places.

Maiden is a "joke" popularity.

It has been said repeatedly in many places that Chrom x Maiden is WHY Chrom x Olivia doesn't make sense. Because the same exact lines are used for a "failsafe" option.

With that logic, Olivia is also a "failsafe", except her popularity with him is more gameplay based.

Same with the drama cd. It's a "failsafe" just like what they did in Drama CD 2... they made sure that FeMU was BEFORE Chrom got married and MaMU can be the one after the marriage because MaMU and FeMU don't coexist in the reality. Intentionally ambiguous.

Except Lucina x Gerome. And Azure/Inigo x Gerome.

It's shoving the anti-MU x Lucina and yaoi in your face like Chrom x Sumia.

Edited by shadowofchaos

Well I personally think Chrom x Sumia is the only pairing that makes sense for Chrom, even if I hate the idea of Sumia being queen of Ylisse (I'd leave Chrom single, not very fond of him). Sumia just doesn't have that aura of queenliness for me. I think Maribelle would be better, but I'd rather marry her to someone else.

Chrom x Olivia would be my choice if 1) it wasn't so late and 2) it didn't hamper my gameplay.

I really think Chrom should've been able to marry any of the girls you find prior to Chapter 12, maybe except Cordelia, but then they could've made Cordelia be able to achieve A support with Chrom when she realizes her crush is never going to become a thing and she lets go of Chrom. Or they could allow Chrom x Cordelia anyway, since Avatar can marry Tharja who has an even stronger crush on him (more like obsession). Still, I don't like that Chrom's marriage choices are limited. At the very least they should've allowed Sumia to marry more guys, so that we would be able to believe that Chrom x Sumia isn't canon.

Edited by Malebolganone

so that we would be able to believe that Chrom x Sumia isn't canon.

Japanese game. With their audiences in mind, they prefer the approach of having an established "hinted" couple, rather than the choice of the individual.

It's a matter of a difference of values. And considering it's a Japanese game DESPITE the "Medieval European-like" setting of Fire Emblem, it wasn't very likely they were going to do that.

I mean, the fact that Sumia's personality is catered to be more "gentle" representing their ideal woman that pretty much has people saying in America "she's a freaking doormat" shows that.

Edited by shadowofchaos

Japanese game. With their audiences in mind, they prefer the approach of having an established "hinted" couple, rather than the choice of the individual.

It's a matter of a difference of values. And considering it's a Japanese game DESPITE the "Medieval European-like" setting of Fire Emblem, it wasn't very likely they were going to do that.

I mean, the fact that Sumia's personality is catered to be more "gentle" representing their ideal woman that pretty much has people saying in America "she's a freaking doormat" shows that.

Hmmm thanks for the explanation. Actually I wouldn't know who to marry Chrom to, because Chrom x Sumia is so much hinted that none of the other choices make sense.

I remember someone telling me about Dragon Quest or something...

That there was a choice for the protagonist between two girls. And that there was a "preferred" one that was hinted at. Picking the non preferred one makes the girl you didn't choose have her father die... and work at a bar without rest and she would be hinted to get assaulted and abused every day.

And then if you chose the preferred one, her father won't die. And the other girl would live just fine.

...now that's an extreme example, but I remember my friend said westerners were REALLY pissed about that.

Edited by shadowofchaos

I remember someone telling me about Dragon Quest or something...

That there was a choice for the protagonist between two girls. And that there was a "preferred" one that was hinted at. Picking the non preferred one makes the girl you didn't choose have her father die... and work at a bar without rest and she would be hinted to get assaulted and abused every day.

And then if you chose the preferred one, her father won't die. And the other girl would live just fine.

...now that's an extreme example, but I remember westerners were REALLY pissed about that.

Oh yes, DQV. I've heard of that. The DS remake in fact made her non-married fate much better because of that...

Edited by Acacia Sgt