"Numbering is for nerds"

Hello, Serenes Forest. I am hoping you might be able to help me clear up a certain matter.

I vaguely recall stumbling upon a peculiar bit of info on old Fire Emblem forums. Apparently, some person of influence at Nintendo (probably some producer or something) at some point said that Fire Emblem games lack numbers in the titles because numbering is for nerds. Or something of the sort. This was a really, really long time, so I am unable to reproduce the quote in its entirety.

I am wondering if this quote is real or did someone just made it up. Also, even if it's real, whom does it belong to, really? Perhaps some of the Fire Emblem veterans who frequent this site remember where this bit originated from.

I do remember that quote, but I've never actually seen the original source so it may in fact be made up.

Allegedly, Hiroshi Yamauchi the former president of Nintendo, said that games with number titles were for basement dwellers. He was basically slamming Square after they moved development from the N64 to the PlayStation.

I do remember that quote, but I've never actually seen the original source so it may in fact be made up.

Allegedly, Hiroshi Yamauchi the former president of Nintendo, said that games with number titles were for basement dwellers. He was basically slamming Square after they moved development from the N64 to the PlayStation.

lol

That sounds an awful lot like something Terranigma Freak would say.

Much obliged. It's a shame we'll never know for sure if Yamauchi actually said this. Although, considering the man's many eccentricies, I suppose it wouldn't be impossible for him to declare something of the sort.

Edited by Trotmeister

clearly, EA with their Wii U comments are superior at chopping