New Thracia 776 translation

js394

Precisely, it will inject the font over the Japanese font and then the new English characters will be referred to when injected.

I haven't yet figured out where it's all going to go. I am probably going to look at FE4's current font and see where that gets injected.

You might be able to fix the status screen font issue simply by injecting it in a place that does not correspond to any Japanese letters used on the status screen and replacing all of those letters with blank images.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You might be able to fix the status screen font issue simply by injecting it in a place that does not correspond to any Japanese letters used on the status screen and replacing all of those letters with blank images.

Yes, that would work for those but we still need to translate the ones in the upper left.

Yes, that would work for those but we still need to translate the ones in the upper left.

True, that.

Bad news, my computer is overheating so I've been unable to use it for the past week. I'm unsure as to what the issue is, but I think I should be able to fix it.. Not sure when, though. I need more thermal interface compound and I've been tight on money lately.

It's coming along, though. Just slowly :X

Edited by MP2E

Bad news, my computer is overheating so I've been unable to use it for the past week. I'm unsure as to what the issue is, but I think I should be able to fix it.. Not sure when, though. I need more thermal interface compound and I've been tight on money lately.

It's coming along, though. Just slowly :X

That sucks. Good luck fixing it.

Okay, so I need you guys' opinion on something. The Chapter 1 boss's name, in the Shaya patch he is referred to as 'Wiseman'. But he's also known as 'Weissman'. What should we use? I personally prefer Weissman because that actually sounds like someone's name, whereas Wiseman is more like a title.

If we do use Weissman though I'll need to make more space because it doesn't fit in the name bubble... I'm sure I can figure something out though.

my plan at this point was to go with "weissmann" scriptways, but for now for the sake of space let's stick with "wiseman". it can always be fixed up later on if more room/a vwf is achieved

Edited by bookofholsety

my plan at this point was to go with "weissmann" scriptways, but for now for the sake of space let's stick with "wiseman". it can always be fixed up later on if more room/a vwf is achieved

Yeah that sounds good. We could also do 'Weisman' but that might look bad.

Definitely Weissman.

The Empire and its component states have a very strong Germanic naming theme mixed in with all the corrupted Gaelic locales (ie Schwarze Rosen, Lanzeritter)

The Empire and its component states have a very strong Germanic naming theme mixed in with all the corrupted Gaelic locales (ie Schwarze Rosen)

okay minor correction here: the elite dark mage unit is actually called the "bergrosen" (german: "mountain rose"), at least as far as explicit german words go (ベルクローゼン). arion does, however, still make a reference to them also being called the "black rose" in plain japanese (黒バラ). the old translation appears to have amalgamated the two terms to create the "schwarze rosen" we know today, which is a fair enough way of simplifying the mess

okay minor correction here: the elite dark mage unit is actually called the "bergrosen" (german: "mountain rose"), at least as far as explicit german words go (ベルクローゼン). arion does, however, still make a reference to them also being called the "black rose" in plain japanese (黒バラ). the old translation appears to have amalgamated the two terms to create the "schwarze rosen" we know today, which is a fair enough way of simplifying the mess

Ah, yes. I've been re-reading the original script concurrently with playing the translation lately, and I remember the usage of 黒, though nothing else apparently lodged. Incidentally, my German is completely atrocious compared to my Japanese.

Now I'll return to being quietly upset at whatever troll at NoA decided to confirm デルムッド as Delmud. (Amusingly, the katakana aren't an accurate rendering of the actual pronunciation either, but digressions..)

Edited by Siuloir

Now I'll return to being quietly upset at whatever troll at NoA decided to confirm デルムッド as Delmud. (Amusingly, the katakana aren't an accurate rendering of the actual pronunciation either, but digressions..)[/color]

that wasn't NoA's doing; delmud still hasn't ever been acknowledged in any english-language material, and i doubt he ever will be. "delmud" is just his NoJ name

(for what it's worth i went with calling him "dermid" in fe4; i was tempted to go with "dermott" since that's the english form of "diarmuid", but i'm wary of rocking the boat here more than i have to coughfurycough so i compromised with something that's delmud but less shitty)

I'm with the rest on naming the guy Weissmann rather than Wiseman. In an English game, Wiseman just doesn't seem like a proper name.

Since the name is German-sounding, you may want to consider replacing the ss with ß. Weiß is common German spelling, rather than Weiss. It may actually save you once space, but then again, I'm not sure if you're able to implement Eszett and if you think it looks nicely.

Alternatively, if you still have space issues, I'd still prefer a variation like Weissman or even Weisman to Wiseman imo.

Edited by WindMage25

that wasn't NoA's doing; delmud still hasn't ever been acknowledged in any english-language material, and i doubt he ever will be. "delmud" is just his NoJ name

(for what it's worth i went with calling him "dermid" in fe4; i was tempted to go with "dermott" since that's the english form of "diarmuid", but i'm wary of rocking the boat here more than i have to coughfurycough so i compromised with something that's delmud but less shitty)

Honestly, why should you care about rocking the boat when you are rocking it by making the choice that matches the source material? It really rankles me as someone who has done translation work in the past that the general populace and the Fire Emblem community in particular is so vehement about maintaining translations that are flat out incorrect (*coughZealotcough*). There's also a tendency of people with very basic knowledge of the language to try and 'punch above their weight class' in dealing with stuff like this.

To be fair, I highly doubt IS had access to a Gaeilge speaker, but デルムッド could/should be rendered closer t ヂャルムッド or  ジェルムッド depending on the region, as you're getting a sort of Dj sound at the beginning, though the aforementioned when you consider that Cuan is pronounced closer to the original sound (Koo-awn) than Quan.

Anyway, Gaeilge rant over. The gist of what I am saying is that I believe correctness should take precedence over unwashed public opinion.

I'm with the rest on naming the guy Weissmann rather than Wiseman. In an English game, Wiseman just doesn't seem like a proper name.

Since the name is German-sounding, you may want to consider replacing the ss with ß. Weiß is common German spelling, rather than Weiss. It may actually save you once space, but then again, I'm not sure if you're able to implement Eszett and if you think it looks nicely.

Alternatively, if you still have space issues, I'd still prefer a variation like Weissman or even Weisman to Wiseman imo.

an interesting prospect, but my main concern is readability. not all that many people in the english speaking world are familiar with ß and its actual sound, and will just take its physical appearance at face value and default to reading the name as "weibman". i know i for one still fall into that trap a good chunk of the time :P

Honestly, why should you care about rocking the boat when you are rocking it by making the choice that matches the source material? It really rankles me as someone who has done translation work in the past that the general populace and the Fire Emblem community in particular is so vehement about maintaining translations that are flat out incorrect (*coughZealotcough*). There's also a tendency of people with very basic knowledge of the language to try and 'punch above their weight class' in dealing with stuff like this.

To be fair, I highly doubt IS had access to a Gaeilge speaker, but デルムッド could/should be rendered closer to ヂャルムッド or  ジェルムッド depending on the region, as you're getting a sort of Dj sound at the beginning, though the aforementioned when you consider that Cuan is pronounced closer to the original sound (Koo-awn) than Quan.

Anyway, Gaeilge rant over. The gist of what I am saying is that I believe correctness should take precedence over unwashed public opinion.

on one hand, you're definitely right about this

but on the other hand i'm a coward and i saw what happened when the fe12 team tried "vergil" :P i guess i'll probably do it now; at the very least there are other changes which will piss people off more and "dermott" will get through scot free

You should leave a note on how you did this, for others who might be interested, considering how long it's bugged people so far.

Since the two letter limitation is a bit oppressive, you could make some squished letterings for each part of the different texts. You could probably fit a better deal of letters in an unrestricted 8x16 space than in two single 8x8 letters.

Edited by Celice

out of curiosity, do you think it might be possible to add one more letter to each of the "personal data" strings? what i'm thinking is, that's quite a lot of space between the labels and the values, especially compared to the battle stats on the upper screen, so being able to squeeze in one more letter looks like it might be feasible. on the other hand, is there some kind of hard limit for how many characters can be input into these strings, like what gringe encountered when editing fe6's level up screens?

it's not a big deal if it can't be done; i'm mostly asking out of technical curiosity rather than in terms of practical applications in a finished patch

There is probably a 2 glyph limit like FE6. I'm actually going to be looking at that issue in FE6 as soon as my computer is back in commission(which should be tomorrow). It might require a bit of ASM hackery, but I'm confident it can be done.

It would drive me nuts if we had to stick to 2 letters, same with the 8 letter limit. I've even thought about replacing some of the menu boxes if they aren't big enough :P Ultimately, it won't be the priority until text can easily be removed and added.

I've drafted out Resire's entire base in a notebook. It's rather frustrating because I can't be sure it works until it compiles and runs. I have some clever ideas to stress test the program to ensure it is correct, however.

I noticed that Lambda Calculus Category theory laws can be applied to Resire:

- The first law is Identity. The result of dumping the whole script and reinjecting it from the text files right after should equate to an unmodified ROM.

- The second law refers to composition of smaller actions into larger ones. For instance, if you dump the script and make a modification to a file, reinject, and make another edit and reinject again, the resulting ROM should be equivalent to making both edits at once and reinjecting the "sum".

Let's talk about the second law. A clever reader may notice that if I inject text that is longer than the destination text, some bytes will be stored in a known empty position in the ROM. This means that if I make 2 edits and they both happen to be longer than the source text, the ROM will actually differ depending on the order of injecting these edits! I did a bit of head-scratching until I realized that as long as the resulting dialogue is the same and the total length of the dialogue structures are the same, the ROM can be guaranteed to be the same, from the perspective of a user.

These laws may seem silly and superfluous, but if you think about it, if these laws hold than the entire program must at least be consistent. They also eliminate many classes of bugs. For instance: the composition law guarantees that making many edits won't bloat the ROM *cough* FEeditor *cough*. The first law guarantees that only dialogue structure is changed, that it is predictable, and that dumping and reinjecting text are symmetrical. Introducing a bug in one system will introduce errors in testing identity unless a symmetrical bug is made in the opposite system! It literally makes writing buggy code more difficult.

I will use a test suite to ensure these laws hold through totality testing.

If any aspiring programmers or simply curious people have any questions about Resire, feel free to ask.

[sarcasm]Hopefully it'll be out this lifetime! [/sarcasm]

Edited by MP2E

You should leave a note on how you did this, for others who might be interested, considering how long it's bugged people so far.

Since the two letter limitation is a bit oppressive, you could make some squished letterings for each part of the different texts. You could probably fit a better deal of letters in an unrestricted 8x16 space than in two single 8x8 letters.

I didn't actually do it; I got the code from the old menu patch, I'm still not sure how it works. I just compared the two patches and copied in the stuff that wasn't text or pointers. Sorry I didn't explain further but I posted that late a night and I just wanted to get to bed :D

That's what I was saying earlier. It's redundant on the stats, at least, considering there's already graphics in English which work out fine enough. One can emulate the stat graphics for the lower-screen and upper-right stuff too. There's probably enough space to do custom lettering for everything, considering the Japanese isn't needed.

I didn't actually do it; I got the code from the old menu patch, I'm still not sure how it works. I just compared the two patches and copied in the stuff that wasn't text or pointers. Sorry I didn't explain further but I posted that late a night and I just wanted to get to bed :D

Man, I was suggesting that for years and no one took up that option until now D:

I agree with BrightBow. If anything, the abbreviations are more confusing than helpful (for the fighting data that is). Great that you found the source anyway!

Edited by WindMage25