New Thracia 776 translation

js394

Wouldn't it be sufficient to simply remove those letters and to leave the English text at the left?

I agree with BrightBow. If anything, the abbreviations are more confusing than helpful (for the fighting data that is). Great that you found the source anyway!

Yes, my plan is to remove those. But like I said above I'm still trying to figure out how to edit the letters.

I'm 99% sure that it's not compressed, it's just a different encoding than the main text (i.e. it uses a different table). I can't do a relative search because the menu text is 16 bit encoded (Instead of '10=A' like the dialogue it's '82A0=A'.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ARGH Intel *just now* sorted everything out so that I can get a new processor for my computer, but I have to ship the old processor to a warehouse where it will be inspected for a few days then the new processor gets shipped back(so probably 2-2 1/2 weeks more).

I'm incredibly annoyed. The only way around this is for me to somehow get 345$! :/ Honestly, I have no idea when I'll be able to continue work on the translations, because life keeps throwing out some pretty bad situations. Ideally within the month I can start up again..

Edited by MP2E

an interesting prospect, but my main concern is readability. not all that many people in the english speaking world are familiar with ß and its actual sound, and will just take its physical appearance at face value and default to reading the name as "weibman". i know i for one still fall into that trap a good chunk of the time :P

on one hand, you're definitely right about this

but on the other hand i'm a coward and i saw what happened when the fe12 team tried "vergil" :P i guess i'll probably do it now; at the very least there are other changes which will piss people off more and "dermott" will get through scot free

I missed this originally but wanted to say - Yes, Internet People will be Mad at you, but 'they'll get glad again'. They'll probably even still play the translation. If they can't respect the work you're doing (which I for one, do immensely, as someone recently replaying Thracia and reading both scripts), then well...their opinions werent worth much.

I missed this originally but wanted to say - Yes, Internet People will be Mad at you, but 'they'll get glad again'. They'll probably even still play the translation. If they can't respect the work you're doing (which I for one, do immensely, as someone recently replaying Thracia and reading both scripts), then well...their opinions werent worth much.

i ended up deciding to go with it so dermott is now definitely A Thing that is happening, or at least it will be when i get to the second draft stage for fe4, which should hopefully be in a month or so depending on how much of a convoluted mess the epilogue makes of itself. i don't think people are going to get over it any time soon (people still evidently aren't over fe11!) but at this point i'm slightly less inclined to pay it much mind

ARGH Intel *just now* sorted everything out so that I can get a new processor for my computer, but I have to ship the old processor to a warehouse where it will be inspected for a few days then the new processor gets shipped back(so probably 2-2 1/2 weeks more).

I'm incredibly annoyed. The only way around this is for me to somehow get 345$! :/ Honestly, I have no idea when I'll be able to continue work on the translations, because life keeps throwing out some pretty bad situations. Ideally within the month I can start up again..

ouch. sorry you have to deal with all this :(

unrelated, but consider this another vote in favour of cutting out the text labels on the battle stats in favour of the graphical labels, not that any more encouragement was needed. :P that said, i do feel that in such a case we should probably darken the graphical letters to make them more legible, as opposed to the less prominent background accent they originally were. (while we're at it, we should probably change the "BLD" one to "CON" too)

• 2 months later...

Sorry if necro, but this project isn't dead is it? I understand that you people have your own lives too, but this thread was so popular until 2 months ago. An update or word of anything at all would be really appreciated. A lot of people are passionate about this game and would love to see progress, even if it is just tiny details. But I still understand that you guys don't owe us fans anything (if anything we owe you), and we are very grateful for all of the hard work you've put into these projects. Still, it's hard to remain silent and hopeful after long hiatuses. If I'm an idiot for posting this, then whelp I'm sorry. Thanks and keep up the good work.

can't speak for joesteve or mp2e, but my end of it isn't dead, if by sole technicality of it not having been born QUITE yet :P the fe4 script is still my primary focus but the end is in sight there, and in the meantime i've done some preliminary piddling around with fe5's basics and certain particulars which will need addressing (the "murder hollace" thing is the biggest example)

MP2E mentioned in http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=39994&page=17#entry3252927 that Resire is coming along as well and he expects a beta sometime this year, which will work for FE5 as well.

edit: Oops, but I read it still requires hacks for FE5 to work. Oh well, I'm positive the translation will happen, if we'll just be patient :)

Edited by Quirino

I'm still here :)

I hope to have a patch that translates all menus out in a few weeks, with the exception of item descriptions. I'll probably wait to see if I can implement a vwf to do those. So far its not looking good though :(

i've actually got a near-complete batch of item descriptions, but unsurprisingly they were written with a vwf in mind because i'm arrogant as hell, so i guess i should go do some significant paring down in case that doesn't happen. turns out brevity in writing is something i suck at :P

i've actually got a near-complete batch of item descriptions, but unsurprisingly they were written with a vwf in mind because i'm arrogant as hell, so i guess i should go do some significant paring down in case that doesn't happen. turns out brevity in writing is something i suck at :P

VWF is totally going to happen :) The goals aren't going to be compromised, it just might take a long time :P

I'm still around, I'm moving again in a day and personal life is kinda hectic which is why progress has been slow. My computer works again but my old source for resire was lost so it was fully rewritten. Here are the remaining issues before public release:

- Verify all the dialogue bytes in my script documentation to make sure they are what I think they are

- Clean up the text handling a bit so that the dumped and reinjected text is all UTF-8 and strip away the EUC and Shift-JIS libraries

- Verify that the dumper and reinjector form an isomorphism over the ROM and write a formal proof to make sure this holds with new versions

- Write tests, write tests, write tests.

- Write some usage documentation

- Make sure all FE4 text is being dumped(no missed parts, and no garbage data)

I think I'll release a first version with just FE4 in mind and then adapt it to support FE5 later. Then script injection work can start and I can work on VWF if joesteve hasn't figured it out :)

Edited by MP2E

Oh that's great. Awesome work guys, can't wait to see the finished product! Didn't want to sound annoying or anything, I'm just glad that this project is still going along fine (unlike ALL of the other ones that I've followed :dry:. I've become a bit paranoid when it comes to fan-made projects). I'm really quite sorry that I'm not really helping in any way, but we all really appreciate the hard work that you're putting in. Thank you so much.

We will be using official NoA names. Let me repeat: We will be using official NoA names. That's it, nothing will change our mind.

...Ugh. Must you?

...and MP2E is in the process of creating Resire, a program to dump and insert text for FE4 and FE5. This will automate things like pointers so there will be no problem with starting over. I also don't know how to fix the bugs in the current patch, so it's better off this way. When the patch is done you can just use Resire to change the names to what ever you want anyways.

Awesome. Unfortunately, that also sounds like something that would never work on SNES9XGX.

I can't claim to be thrilled about people constantly changing the names... but if there really is a program that can let me use the names I am used to on a superior translation... I guess I can get over it. (at least I can rather easily get over Thracia - Holy War's script did not need changing! It was perfect the way it was, it's only flaw was that the intro and ending were both untranslated.)

Edited by GreatSaiyaman

...Ugh. Must you?

Yes, we must. :)

Awesome. Unfortunately, that also sounds like something that would never work on SNES9XGX.

Hmm, I'm not familiar with SNES9XGX however if the Japanese version works then chances are this will work, it shouldn't matter if we use a program to insert the script.

Posted · Hidden by Florete, August 26, 2014 - No reason given
Hidden by Florete, August 26, 2014 - No reason given

...Ugh. Must you?

Yes, we must. :)

Hmm, I'm not familiar with SNES9XGX however if the Japanese version works then chances are this will work, it shouldn't matter if we use a program to insert the script.

Snes9xgx works ok with Thracia im sure it will work fine with the new patch. The only problems I have with Thracia on snes9xgx is the text goes of the screen more frequently than snes9x or zsnes, but that may be because my emulator is outdated and my wii is awful. Hopefully the new patch doesn't have such ugly glitches.

As far as I'm aware none of the SNES Fire Emblems work great on ZSNES either. So I think it's best to use Snes9x either way, or Higan: if you don't have windows 8 as OS, this is the most accurate emulator there is and runs every SNES game perfectly. So use either of these two emulators and it should be able to run every game perfectly fine.

...Ugh. Must you?

i can't get over how this post is the closest we've ever come to a serious name change gripe with either project naga or gringe's fe6! seriously, after fe12's vergil debacle i was expecting a lot more of it

Holy War's script did not need changing! It was perfect the way it was, it's only flaw was that the intro and ending were both untranslated.

i'll concede that the old fe4 script was a lot better than any other fan translation script, bar fe12's, by virtue of it actually sounding like it had some life and feeling, but that's like comparing a turd to a slightly larger turd. on its own merits, the old script was rife with bizarre and clunky wording and outright mistranslations, and its positive traits don't make up for this. not to mention, "alvis you dastard" is a thing which legitimately happened in it

again, still a lot better than fe5 or pre-gringe fe6, but mediocre at best in and of itself, and its flaws just became even more obvious with every day i worked on the retranslation. hell, pretty much the entire reason project naga exists is that i kept looking at it and thinking "wow even i could do better than this garbage", then one day figured i should put my money where my mouth is :P

i'll concede that the old fe4 script was a lot better than any other fan translation script, bar fe12's, by virtue of it actually sounding like it had some life and feeling, but that's like comparing a turd to a slightly larger turd. on its own merits, the old script was rife with bizarre and clunky wording and outright mistranslations, and its positive traits don't make up for this. not to mention, "alvis you dastard" is a thing which legitimately happened in it

again, still a lot better than fe5 or pre-gringe fe6, but mediocre at best in and of itself, and its flaws just became even more obvious with every day i worked on the retranslation. hell, pretty much the entire reason project naga exists is that i kept looking at it and thinking "wow even i could do better than this garbage", then one day figured i should put my money where my mouth is :P

Are we talking about the same translation? In the one I used, Sigurd said "Alvis you bastard!" And I know it wasn't the first patch either. (I seem to remember complaining in an earlier thread about stuff like Celice->Serlis, Diadora->Dierdre, etc.) I never really noticed any (no, seriously - any) real flaws with that translation besides the lack of an ending. (Now FE6... LOLgrammar)

The names grew on me of course, and now I just can't imagine the characters going by anything but those names. Maybe I was just having so much fun I couldn't be bothered to nitpick over minor errors, or maybe I am just an idiot. The point is, I prefer the translation I used for my first (and so far, only) playthrough. Am I such a monster for wanting the same thing just with an actual ending?

And for the record, yes language patches work fine on Snes9xGX, so long as you can get the damn files to work on an emulator on your computer, then just copy->paste. The reason I said I doubted it would work is because Snes9xGX doesn't have all of the fancy features that emulators on computers have. (it doesn't even have savestates!)

Edited by GreatSaiyaman

i'll concede that the old fe4 script was a lot better than any other fan translation script, bar fe12's, by virtue of it actually sounding like it had some life and feeling, but that's like comparing a turd to a slightly larger turd.

And you say this in the post immediately below one by the guy who translated fe1? Nice. As for mistranslations, lex calling azel a "player" might add character, but what he actually says means more like "cute" in japanese. See also, the scene where silvia is implied to flash sigurd, and levin stating that "my shrink has been busy lattley". Also, doing really obscure stuff like talking to the guard in the valley directly north of evins in chaper 2 before he becomes hostile results in garbage text.

And you say this in the post immediately below one by the guy who translated fe1? Nice.

oops :P

in my defence, as of two years ago quirino thought there was plenty of room for improvement there so... idk. to be fair i've said far worse about the fe3 patch right to vincentasm's metaphorical face :P

i have the worst habit of throwing things i nominally don't mind under the bus when arguing

As for mistranslations, lex calling azel a "player" might add character, but what he actually says means more like "cute" in japanese. See also, the scene where silvia is implied to flash sigurd, and levin stating that "my shrink has been busy lattley". Also, doing really obscure stuff like talking to the guard in the valley directly north of evins in chaper 2 before he becomes hostile results in garbage text.

indeed! that said, honestly i'm of the mind that the old translation's take on sylvia and sigurd's conversation is an entirely legitimate way of presenting that particular scene. i didn't keep it, of course, but as far as the old translation goes i liked it

The point is, I prefer the translation I used for my first (and so far, only) playthrough. Am I such a monster for wanting the same thing just with an actual ending?

no, you're not a monster, but that is not what this translation is going to be under any circumstances. let's say that hypothetically i were positively-minded enough about the old translation: in that case, keeping it while the rest of the patch is being redone more or less entirely would skew too close to plagiarism for my liking

not to mention, if i were at all inclined to entertain the idea of throwing away all my work on the rest of the game, the stylistic clashes between the old j2e script and my epilogue writing would be too jarring for my liking, regardless of which one prefers. same goes for if we were to hypothetically use acenoctali's incomplete epilogue script

Edited by bookofholsety

oops :P

in my defence, as of two years ago quirino thought there was plenty of room for improvement there so... idk. to be fair i've said far worse about the fe3 patch right to vincentasm's metaphorical face :P

i have the worst habit of throwing things i nominally don't mind under the bus when arguing

indeed! that said, honestly i'm of the mind that the old translation's take on sylvia and sigurd's conversation is an entirely legitimate way of presenting that particular scene. i didn't keep it, of course, but as far as the old translation goes i liked it

no, you're not a monster, but that is not what this translation is going to be under any circumstances. let's say that hypothetically i were positively-minded enough about the old translation: in that case, keeping it while the rest of the patch is being redone more or less entirely would skew too close to plagiarism for my liking

not to mention, if i were at all inclined to entertain the idea of throwing away all my work on the rest of the game, the stylistic clashes between the old j2e script and my epilogue writing would be too jarring for my liking, regardless of which one prefers. same goes for if we were to hypothetically use acenoctali's incomplete epilogue script

Honestly, very few official nes games have good translations (the only one that comes to mind is river city ransom, although i like the ff2 prototype because so bad it's good is tecnecaly a kind of good, especialy with lines like "the rebellions stood up"), so an iffy translation fits right in.

The silvia scene is not a mistranslation? shows what i know about a language i can't actualy speak.

The silvia scene is not a mistranslation? shows what i know about a language i can't actualy speak.

in the original text, sylvia basically says that sigurd calling her a "good little girl" is wrong because little girls can't be as sexy as she is (yes, sexy is the word they used). while the old translation's "ever seen a little girl with THESE" is not, strictly speaking, a 100% accurate translation of it, i'm of the opinion that it achieves exactly the same effect in a way that's more or less exactly in line with sylvia's character. the same meaning is conveyed exactly as well as the original, and that's the important part

(for the record, sylvia's "yeah! i like it rough"? that's in the japanese version too, 100% verbatim)

in the original text, sylvia basically says that sigurd calling her a "good little girl" is wrong because little girls can't be as sexy as she is (yes, sexy is the word they used). while the old translation's "ever seen a little girl with THESE" is not, strictly speaking, a 100% accurate translation of it, i'm of the opinion that it achieves exactly the same effect in a way that's more or less exactly in line with sylvia's character. the same meaning is conveyed exactly as well as the original, and that's the important part

(for the record, sylvia's "yeah! i like it rough"? that's in the japanese version too, 100% verbatim)

I figured that it wasn't 100 percent accurate, but was under the impression that the effect was off. Now i got it.

Just so people don't think I'm an idiot, yes it does have savestates - I just never bothered to test what all the buttons did. (The point still stands that because of the way it is set up, unless the program is some kind of patch, I doubt it would work)

...And yes, I know that the new patch is not meant to be the same thing. I'm just saying that on top of hating the official names, I wish people would not needlessly change the script for no reason. (Of the 3 scenes mentioned, honestly, only the one with Levin is even potentially a problem. It conveys the meaning perfectly well, regardless of whether or not it makes you wonder "Wtf? They have shrinks in Jugdral?") Maybe it's just me, but I really just think you are all nitpicking about this.

Untitled.png

One suggestion: just shitcan the glyphs for the stats entirely. There's already the stat's name engraved on the bar, its redundant.