New Thracia 776 translation

js394

Twilkitri's tools work for script insertion (based on the J2E stuff I think, which is also available still), and there are other programs that also help with script extraction and insertion, such as Atlas. There's more than a hex editor available :)

If those are available, why go to the trouble to write rezire? (i checked and it was fe3 that i was thinking of where the tools got lost.)

Edited by sirmola

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From my understanding, MP2E had difficulty using Twilkitri's tools (he called them "data-rotted" or something like that. And he wasn't aware of other programs to aid script editing. He could probably better clarify his reasons why :)

I'm hoping his program will pick up any more unused text hiding away in the game. In FE4, there's two Prologue conversations like this, one between Alec and Noishe, and one between Ethlin and one of the two knights.

Edited by Celice

• 5 weeks later...

Is it really changing the lines if the retranslation will be more accurate? (Hence, the lines you like are less accurate in the first place, and thus changed from the JP version... maybe I'm just dragging myself in circles lol)

I guess my point is, it's a fan translation that arguably changed it for no reason in the first place, possibly muddling the original intent/mistranslating. I don't see it as something to get attached to. Retranslating is not needlessly changing the script, it is straight up fixing it.

Do you have the same problem with FE3's translation compared to FE12? I vaguely remember the translation team mentioning that FE3 and FE12 have virtually the same japanese script, but they went ahead with actually retranslating it (where relevant, of course, I imagine the added content has no way to line up with FE3 lol)

At the end of the day, I don't speak Japanese and so don't care about what is the most 100% accurate to the original text. The fan translation is how I was introduced to Holy War, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. As for the new translation, they didn't ask me and can do whatever they want with it because they are the ones putting all of the hard work into it. Besides, from the sound of it, they're coming out with some kind of program that can inject text so people can use whatever names they want anyway. The only conceivable remote probem then would be the changes to the actual script, but if anyone is going to lose their minds over something like that... Then they could just use the older patches and quit whining.

And no, I have never played either one of those games. I started FE3, but got bored and quit a couple chapters into Book 1. Never played any part of Shadow Dragon. - And how can anyone else? From what I've seen of them, the graphics for both of those DS FE games stab your eyes out with their attempted 3D hideousness. (and from what little of FE3 that I did play, I really didn't notice anything that could possibly merit everyone hating it....)

...So the patch is finished, then? We're just waiting for Resire to be released?

And what FE4 patch is post #1 referring to? This one? http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=39994

Or is there another one I don't know about?

...So the patch is finished, then? We're just waiting for Resire to be released?

And what FE4 patch is post #1 referring to? This one? http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=39994

Or is there another one I don't know about?

Not yet :)

After MP2E releases Resire, the script still needs to be retranslated/rewritten. I'm not sure who's going to be doing that, I'm sure bookofholsety or gringe can answer that. And then of course there's the graphics. I've been trying to find out how to edit the intro but I haven't had any success. I'm relatively new to asm on SNES so its pretty difficult.

The original patch for FE4 that I mentioned in the first post is on serenes forest. The one you linked to is the exact same one, its just updated with official names.

Not yet :)

After MP2E releases Resire, the script still needs to be retranslated/rewritten. I'm not sure who's going to be doing that, I'm sure bookofholsety or gringe can answer that. And then of course there's the graphics. I've been trying to find out how to edit the intro but I haven't had any success. I'm relatively new to asm on SNES so its pretty difficult.

The original patch for FE4 that I mentioned in the first post is on serenes forest. The one you linked to is the exact same one, its just updated with official names.

Oh. I guess I was confused since you said that you were already done.

Okay, so here's my final patch. Keep in mind that the menus are only translated, no dialogue.

So, yeah I guess I'm done. I believe either gringe or bookofholsety will be rewriting the script, probably after FE4 is done.

• 5 months later...