How about them good ol' English voices, huh?

At first glance,I loved the english voices, hearing that little quote with each cut-in was magical to me. Until of course I heard some of the character's English voices with a more open mind.

I love Brady's English voices, i'll preach that all day and all night, most of Noire's english voices are impressive as well, the evil laugh is spot-on though. I heard the quotes over and over again, and, for most characters, the magic was leaving because I couldn't really get behind them, they are either not serious enough for my tastes, ie. Henry, or way too intent, ie. Fem MU voice 3 I believe.

And then there was Morgan.

My sweet little daughter shouldn't have the voice of a grown woman, it's just...

When I pair her and Brady, because Brady is my son-in-law, I want to hear Brady's English voices, but Morgan will jump in with her 20 year old unfitting womanly voice and just rng breaking crit luckyness, and i'll be all, "oooh... Just, no... Morgan, shush, let Brady talk."

Only Fem Morgan though, male Morgan I know far too little about to judge him.

And that's why I use the Japanese voices, I may not understand them well, but I'm learning, and the japanese ones, in my opinion, sound a little bit cooler. But what about you? Which voices do you use?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use the English voices, mainly due to the fact that I prefer English voice acting in general and felt that most of the voices fit the characters. (Granted I'll take a Japanese dub over a horrible English dub like in Megaman X4.) Oh also that I find quite a few of the Japanese female voices to be grating to the ears.

Edited by Zelos

Yeah, the Morgans sound pretty adult for their age.

I could say the same thing as the Build 2 MUs too.

Especially male Morgan. I don't know about female Morgan actually. But they can act so childish yet their voices are so... adult-like. Even in the Japanese version.

As for the question... I use the Japanese voices only. I think that question has been asked before though... but yeah... the Japanese sounds a lot more natural and stuff /for me/ than the English. And less annoying.

Edit: But let's not turn this thread into a Japanese vs English voices argument. n_n

Edited by Shirley

I have some problems with a few of the lines in the game, but none of the voices. Morgan (F) sounds amazing to me. And since when is Henry supposed to be "serious?"

There's no need to think about it so much. Don't ruin something good by forcing yourself to believe it's worse than you originally thought.

I have some problems with a few of the lines in the game, but none of the voices. Morgan (F) sounds amazing to me. And since when is Henry supposed to be "serious?"

There's no need to think about it so much. Don't ruin something good by forcing yourself to believe it's worse than you originally thought.

Grinding and grinding and grinding broke me after the 140th or so hour, if he said "i'm gonna kill you!" One more time, I would've killed him

Edit: But let's not turn this thread into a Japanese vs English voices argument. n_n

Yes, let's avoid sparking a flame war...

As entertaining as it would be...

Edited by Red Fox of Fire

English all day erryday.

I actually wish Virion's wasnt Hollywood French but more British. But whatevs, hes still awesome. And his "All hail, me." is just..lol!

The only voice that bugs me is Severa's due to her very whiny tone. I know shes about 17/18 years old but damn.

"That was MINE!" makes me wanna smack her upside the head.

A friend of mine said that Donnel should sound Irish. I think that would be neat if he was.

English all day erryday.

I actually wish Virion's wasnt Hollywood French but more British. But whatevs, hes still awesome. And his "All hail, me." is just..lol!

The only voice that bugs me is Severa's due to her very whiny tone. I know shes about 17/18 years old but damn.

A friend of mine said that Donnel should sound Irish. I think that would be neat if he was.

Irish Donny... would be interesting to say the least.

It's difficult for me to even imagine...

Grinding and grinding and grinding broke me after the 140th or so hour, if he said "i'm gonna kill you!" One more time, I would've killed him

Yes, let's avoid sparking a flame war...

As entertaining as it would be...

best not to double post either, especially after a mod posted. =x

Anyway, I usually turn off battle animations completely when I'm grinding... It's too much work just pressing Select/Start to skip on every turn. And I completely understand where people are coming from, preferring to know what the characters are saying as opposed to some language they don't understand. I might not understand all the Japanese, but it still sounds better to me. It's probably based on our own personal experiences.

Edited by Shirley

So turn his animations off. Honestly, this is hardly his fault, hear anything for 140 hours and it will be grating.

Also don't double post.

English all day erryday.

I have to admit that I didn't really like Virion much until I heard some of his cut ins. They're really amazing.

I agree with this, but I'm pretty sure that's how it's supposed to be. She's just a whiny character.

Edited by Red Fox of Fire

So turn his animations off. Honestly, this is hardly his fault, hear anything for 140 hours and it will be grating.

Also don't double post.

I have to admit that I didn't really like Virion much until I heard some of his cut ins. They're really amazing.

I agree with this, but I'm pretty sure that's how it's supposed to be. She's just a whiny character.

"One! FOR THE BARDS!" and "Die, with MAGNIFICENCE!" are my favorite Virion cut in quotes.

lol yeah, Severa is supposed to be whiny, but good goddamn....D:

Nah's "Its SQUASHIN' time!" is among my favorites ever. Its so cute!

I use the English voices, mainly due to the fact that I prefer English voice acting in general and felt that most of the voices fit the characters. (Granted I'll take a Japanese dub over a horrible English dub like in Megaman X4.) Oh also that I find quite a few of the Japanese female voices to be grating to the ears.

Heartily agree with this.

I almost always prefer English voices to Japanese ones. I just think Japanese voices sound too kiddy or squeaky most of the time, especially when it comes to female characters.

My favorite English voices are those of Chrom, Frederick, male Morgan, Donnel, default female Avatar, Lon'qu, Virion, and Gaius. Actually, I like most of the English voices in this game. The acting is really good.

Edited by Anacybele

Fun fact I just recently found out that is probably already known, but the guy who voices Chrom (English Chrom) is the same guy who voices Leon Kennedy in Resident Evil 6 and Resident Evil: Damnation.

Edited by Fire Emblem Fan

English Male Morgan is a hell of a lot more fitting than the Japanese voice >_>;

Hearing Boku 1 for it makes me cringe... it should have been Boku 2 (the shota voice cut from the non-Japanese versions).

As I have said before, the English voices for the localization are pretty great. I just have to get used to Lon'qu. The first time I heard it I was like "why the heck is his voice almost as deep as Basilio!?"

I've since gotten used to him though.

The ONLY two I have trouble getting used to are Olivia's and Azure/Inigo's English voices.

I seriously just... can't. The problem lies with me... but I seriously just... can't.

Azure's is too deep, and Olivia isn't high enough. Not to mention her dialogue in the localization coupled with the voice she has... ehh.

No disrespect to Liam O' Brien and Karen Strassman, but I just... can't.

the moment i heard what they did for Sumia's voice in English, i was completely sold on the English voice-acting quality. her more normal sounding "you'll be fine" and "comin' through!" are a vast improvement over that ridiculously squeaky *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*YOKATTA DESUUU*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

the moment i heard what they did for Sumia's voice in English, i was completely sold on the English voice-acting quality. her more normal sounding "you'll be fine" and "comin' through!" are a vast improvement over that ridiculously squeaky *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*YOKATTA DESUUU*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

I had a bunch of my friends definitely like English Sumia better. The Japanese high pitched one is definitely not everyone's cup of tea.

Another reason is that they remember a few characters from other games they've played. One mentioned that they were sold on it because it's the same English voice actress for Estelle from Tales of Vesperia.

Eh, to each their own, I guess, but I loved both Olivia and Inigo's english voices (well, the whole english cast I guess). Olivia has better tone I think IMO. I like her Japanese voice somewhat, but some of her squeals break the sound barrier and my ears; and Inigo's deep sultry voice....I swear, I must have a thing for deep voices, because between him and Lon'qu they were the only two characters that almost made me consider marrying them over Chrom. ALMOST. That's how good they sound. XD

As I have said before, the English voices for the localization are pretty great. I just have to get used to Lon'qu. The first time I heard it I was like "why the heck is his voice almost as deep as Basilio!?"

Blame voice direction: I would imagined him to sound like Jonny Ariga from Catherine, who's similar in personality but higher in tone. Conversely, I'm not used to Owain's JP voice at all with how deep it is.

Wow, Silver Lightning almost considered marrying a guy that isn't Chrom? I am amazed. Seriously.

I found Frederick's to be kinda deep too though. I've always liked deep manly voices for men, haha.

Edited by Anacybele

I use the English voices, they're fun. I'll admit, I half expected the English voices to suck before I played the game. But I was genuinely surprised with some of the picks for some of the characters, like Yuri Lowenthal for Ricken, Paul St. Peter for Gregor (that Russian accent was just plain hilarious overall), and Stephanie Sheh for Tharja. But some of the voice actors were definitely bad picks for other characters, like Karen Strassman for Olivia. That was just a bad pick overall, I think we can all agree. And I don't know what the heck Rey people are talking about with the hate for Liam O'Brien as Inigo; I thought it was BRILLIANT. You can never go wrong with Liam O'Brien in any role. Except for Asura's Wrath, that game had AWFUL AWFUL voice acting.

And I had never heard of Stacy Okada (Say'ri, Cynthia), Kaiji Tang (Owain), or Orion Acaba (Kellam, Gerome) before this, but I'll admit that they did a decent job. I enjoyed Owain and Gerome's voices, for sure, and they were probably my favorites out of everyone in the game.

And I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say THANK GOD JOHNNY YONG BOSCH DIDN'T VOICE ANYONE IN THIS GAME. Just...gah, overrated voice actors are overrated. JYB, I don't care if you're f***ing Yu Narukami in Persona 4, you're not that great of a voice actor. JUST ACCEPT THAT FACT.