Fire Emblem 8 Unit Insertion Problem

EldinnerPlate

A little background before my question, I started learning about Fire Emblem hacking about a month ago, and immediately got interested in making my own hack. Now I am making one and I have been able to solve most of my problems on my own, but there is one that I just cannot figure out. You would think it is easy but simply placing a unit is not working for me. When I put the coordinate as [2,0] the unit will be at [2,0], when I put them at [2,1] they will be in the correct place. Same goes for [2,2] and [2,3]. The problem starts occuring when the Y coordinate goes up to 4. When I put [2,4] in the event editor, the unit appears at [2,3] in game. When i put [2,5], the unit shows up at [2,1]; when i put [2,6] the unit is at [2,2], ect.

The x-coordinate works perfectly but the y coordinate wont ever go higher than "3" in the game. It just resets back down to 1. But to make things even weirder, when I use MOVE in the event assembling, my units will move to the exact location and I have no problems. The only thing that doesn't work is when I try to place them. Has anyone else encountered this problem and solved it? Or does anyone know what is causing this problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here is an example of the character code:

UNIT 0x80 Fighter 0x05 Level(1,Enemy,False) [2,6] DropItem 0x00 0x00 0x00 [ironAxe,Vulnerary,0x00,0x00] [0x00,0x06,0x02,0x00]

The unit shows up at [2,2] in game and it is really annoying. The same thing happens for player controlled units. I saw a thread on this already and it had some kind of formulas, but they didn't work when I used them, or maybe I just didn't understand them so if you could explain how to do it in more detail that would help.

Thanks,

Eldin

Hm.

Do you see that '0x05' in between the Class and Unit Level? That marks leader data and is pretty much always left alone at 0x00. No one really knows what happens when you fiddle with it(at least I don't). To be safe, you should probably change it to 0x00 and see if that helps any. Also, I'm pretty sure you have this done already, but make sure that your unit data ends properly, else units will load improperly or indefinitely. Can't see much else wrong otherwise.

Hm.

Do you see that '0x05' in between the Class and Unit Level? That marks leader data and is pretty much always left alone at 0x00. No one really knows what happens when you fiddle with it(at least I don't). To be safe, you should probably change it to 0x00 and see if that helps any. Also, I'm pretty sure you have this done already, but make sure that your unit data ends properly, else units will load improperly or indefinitely. Can't see much else wrong otherwise.

Thanks for the response. I changed the 0x05 just to check and still have the same problem. And yah I ended the the data with "UNIT empty".

Edited by Eldinnnn

UNIT 0x80 Fighter 0x00 Level(1,Enemy,False) [02,06] 0x00 0x00 0x01 Fighter_Move [ironAxe,Vulnerary] [0x00,0x06,0x02,0x00]

UNIT Empty

Fighter_Move:
REDA [02,06] 0b 0x1 0x0 0

This should fix it. Always put REDA and you won't have problems.

Also congrats for learning how to hack FE8 alone, it's a great challenge! We're on the same boat then, ask me if you need something, I'll be sure to do the same.

Cheers! :)

Edited by Alfred Kamon

UNIT 0x80 Fighter 0x00 Level(1,Enemy,False) [02,06] 0x00 0x00 0x01 Fighter_Move [ironAxe,Vulnerary] [0x00,0x06,0x02,0x00]

UNIT Empty

Fighter_Move:

REDA [02,06] 0b 0x1 0x0 0

This should fix it. Always put REDA and you won't have problems.

Also congrats for learning how to hack FE8 alone, it's a great challenge! We're on the same boat then, ask me if you need something, I'll be sure to do the same.

Cheers! :)

Thanks for the idea! Unfortunately it still doesn't work and he just stays at the same place. I found a way around it with just using "MOVE" but that will look really weird in levels where I want my characters to start at the bottom of the map, having them walk all the way down there while the player just watches. Haha but anyway do you think I just have a bad ROM? Because the one I am using for my hack is a copy of the original. Do you think that would cause any problems? I don't want to start all over only to find out that I'm still having the same problem. And yah definitely ask if you are having any problems! I'm no expert but I will help you out as best I can. :)

This is strange then, man! ^^" I really never encountered that problem. Well, my first ROM for some reason was glitchy as hell so it's not a great surprise. I think it was due to some mistake I did while editing it, though.

I can only think that it may be your map's fault. Is there anything weird at [02,06]? Do you have any other problems displaying/playing the map? Do you have the same problem in other maps?

Then.... do you use ENUN when you load the unit? It's fundamental!!

_LOAD1 0x1 Soldiers

ENUN

Soldiers:

(bla bla)

Fighter_Move:
REDA bla bla

Are you doing everything correctly?

If it doesn't work, I don't have any clue. I use a Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones (U) ROM, which I guess is the same you use.

You can just do like this anyway:

FADI 0x07

(load your unit)

MOVE bla bla

ENUN

FADU 0x07

This way, you would move the characters on a black screen, so the player wouldn't notice anything (beside the steps sound).

Tell me if this helps you. ;)

Edited by Alfred Kamon

This is strange then, man! ^^" I really never encountered that problem. Well, my first ROM for some reason was glitchy as hell so it's not a great surprise. I think it was due to some mistake I did while editing it, though.

I can only think that it may be your map's fault. Is there anything weird at [02,06]? Do you have any other problems displaying/playing the map? Do you have the same problem in other maps?

Then.... do you use ENUN when you load the unit? It's fundamental!!

Are you doing everything correctly?

If it doesn't work, I don't have any clue. I use a Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones (U) ROM, which I guess is the same you use.

You can just do like this anyway:

FADI 0x07

(load your unit)

MOVE bla bla

ENUN

FADU 0x07

This way, you would move the characters on a black screen, so the player wouldn't notice anything (beside the steps sound).

Tell me if this helps you. ;)

Nope no other problems, that's why this is so weird to me. I had this same problem on the prologue map I made, but I just used MOVE to get around it. Then I got the same problem in the chapter 1 map. At first I thought it was mappy, so I downloaded Tiled and remade the map with Tiled but I still have the same problem. And there is nothing weird about the block I'm moving him too.

Here is my loading units code:

BeginningScene:

CAM2 [18,03]

FlashCursor(21,2,60)

LOU1 Good

ENUN

LOU1 Bad

ENUN

ENDA

TurnBasedEvents:

TURN 0x00 BeginningScene [00,00] 0x0

TURN

It's not done because I still have to put in the text but that should be enough to load units I believe. I made a copy of the original Fire Emblem Sacred Stones ROM and put it in my hacking folder. And I renamed the copy too. Don't know if that could cause a problem but just throwing it out there. That's a good idea with using FADI, I think I can just work around it by playing some music and displaying text while they are moving around but that is going to make the process a lot more painful. But hey, no one said hacking FE8 was going to be easy. Thanks for all the help so far too!

Don't worry, I did the same with the ROM and it's not going to cause any problem.

Anyway, are you just loading your units out of nothing? This doesn't look very good.

The best thing you can do is using FADI/FADU as I said to do your stuff offscreen.

I usually put "start from black" in Nightmare Chapter Editor which is like starting the chapter automatically with a FADI.

Then I do something like this:

BeginningScene:

_LOAD1 0x1 Allies

ENUN

CAM1 Seth

FADU 0x13

MUS1 0x4A

Just play around it a little and you'll fix it, it's not even that difficult as you may think. ;)

AH, in FE8 you don't need to put "BeginningScene" in TurnEvents, it just plays automatically. Maybe that's the problem, you load the BeginningScene twice.

Edited by Alfred Kamon

Yah I have most of the unit codes done already. I took out the beginning scene in turn events but the units still won't go higher than 3 on the y axis. I'm just gonna have to place units using MOVE for now. Maybe while I'm making the game I will find the solution, but I have spent too much time already trying to figure this out. Thanks for all your help though, you have helped me clean up a lot of my code! But one more question, do you actually use "_LOAD1"? When I try to use it i get an error in event assembler.

Edited by Eldinnnn