Rate the unit day 20: Nowi

Randa

Maribelle, everyone's favorite spoiled high born woman.

Pros:
Healer

Horsie

Good support pool including Chrom.

Decent class set.

Cons:
Squishy as fuck.

A bit of a pain to level.

No offense at base.

By the time we get Maribelle, Lissa probably has a few levels under her belt and can do the job better overall, except that Lissa isnt mounted. Maribelle offers a more mobile healer but sometimes isnt healing as much as Lissa in terms of actual heal numbers. Having Maribelle heal off chip damage to your guys is a good way to level her though. She can support with every first gen (non spotpass) guy too. So shes a potential mate for Chrom. But her chances are gonna go out the window due to her bases and lack of combat right away. Maribelle can go flier which is cool because Galeforce and gives her some offense. But shes squishy and her strength sucks so this will be a huge trial if someone goes for it in the main game. Shes probably better off staying in a magic class.

Maribelle is a pain in the ass for non-grinders.

5/10

• Replies 978
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maribelle. Let's see here..

For starters, she's the 2nd healer you get, with lissa being the first. Some nice stuff Maribelle brings is a horse and decent enough starting magic, and also a nice support pool. However, she can't take a hit at all, and Lissa is generally a better healer by then. She can even reclass to a troubadour and make no need for her at all.

In a game where healers are already subpar, you really need something to make you stand out from the others: Lissa has perfect availability, somewhat of a salvageable defense stat and a great classset for staves. I'd say Lissa's better.

4/10 with .5 bias for 4.5/10

While other characters are actually being useful, Maribelle is dicking around with Rescue to grind up (semi expensive staffs, that she can't really use all too well offensively because she's OHKOed by much pretty anything). There are better healers who can actually pull their weight in combat.

3/10

she has terrible bases (like, its almost a good thing she's not a combat unit)

3.5/10

Yup pretty much all this. 3/10 gameplay, then -1 bias because I find ojousama archetypes insufferable. I would do just -0.5 but ehhh...I decided not to do decimals this time around.

Day 16 gaius.

Pros

Locktouch

Good speed

Good growths

Cons

Useless class set

Poor strength base.

7/10

Edited by Randa

Gaius he has a whole lot of stuff going for him but he also has several problems. His base avoid isn't that high when you consider he gets 2HKOed by liek everything, although he still has the speed to consistently double so that's good.

His class set is pretty amazing imo. He can use Myrmidon to fix his "not good enough" avoid or he can use Fighter to raise his defense and strength while still doubling most enemies.

So he has a mediocre start but if you invest in him he has a whole lot of potential which is why I'm giving him a 6/10

Gaius has a rather rough start when he joins. Thief utility has been lessened somewhat in this game and Anna is just once chapter with chests away from him.

Meanwhile his bases just aren't very good. 22 hp, 7 strength and 6 defence is pretty bad for a physical fighter. His speed is great and that stat and his strength will grow nicely, but his defence will take a lot more work.

Chrom and Libra do like the nice speed bonus he gives them in the thief and myrm lines though.

Like I said thieving utility is nice, but not as good as in previous games and he has to work a little bit too long before his offense picks up. Being outclassed in the thieving (and staff) utility sucks, but that isn't why i'm rating him poorly.

4.5/10

Am I being to rough on sweet tooth?

Edited by Sasori

Ok.

But his defenses really are lacking. He however gets Astra and Sol to help him out in the long run. He gets a 6/10.

P.S= Plus his importance is great in Chrom's era. As he is one of the only few characters in the game that can open chests.

Edited by ポーラ

Imma want to comment on this

"Useless class set"

Are you really sure? No mounts but FIghter is pretty cool, and Thief has such a F41L base stats that an SS to Myrmidon is an overall positive boost

In fact Fighter is +4 HP, +5 STR, -1 SKL, -3 SPD, +2 DEF

E Rank, but heres Base Gaius as a fighter

26 12 0 12 12 6 7 2

At level 10, it averages

Growth Rate as a Thief:

85 60 20 70 70 35 30 20

HP: 30.25

STR: 15

MAG: 1

SKL: 15.5

SPD: 15.5

LCK: 7.75

DEF: 8.5

RES: 3

Pretty decent if you ask me

Anyway, Gaius is one of those units whose selling point is entirely based around being a Pair Up fodder, despite being a fine main unit. The best way to use Gaius, is, IMHO to instant promote him as soon as he hits level 10 into Assassin(most of the time) to give off that manly +5 STR, +8 SPD, and.... okay, who give a fuck about SKL?

His supports is pretty good too, since he supported Chrom, and Libra. His thieving utility are what set his difference over Lon'Qu, in which he can Tag In to steal stuff and whatnot.

Gaius need babying to become a solid main unit, but he can get Sol, and as you can see above, his stats post Reclassing is pretty fine because again, Thief is F41L class when it comes to base stats.

For a growth unit, he is a pretty underrated character, if you ask me.

He can pass off Mov +1 If you want to for his child. Its pretty hilarious for say..... Gerome or Yarne to have +3 MOV. Basically you get a solid unit who is rather easy to train, can be used as a Pair Up bot easilly, and his only fault is lacking mount, in which he has 7 MOV PROMOTED

better than Nowi

Min Max wise: part of the Vaike Triangle

6/10

+1 Bias to 7/10 for his meaningful supports with Chrom

Edited by JSND

Gaius has theif utility, and he gives Mov +1 from pair-ups. Combat be damned those 2 things are a huge asset.

6/10 - There isnt much for me to say. He doesn't fight good but his other uses are great.

Fighter!Gaius is actually pretty solid, from what I've seen. Even moreso if you want to pair him up with Sumia, IMO. I haven't tried it yet, but Fighter!Gaius should give Sumia quite a bit of STR when paired with her, and even more when they hit S support. I'm gonna do a file soon NOT training Panne so the second seal doesn't go contested.

Anyway, Gaius is pretty bro. His bases aren't too good when it comes to STR and DEF, but his STR fixes itself rather quickly, and his DEF gets a bit better along the way, as well. A level 10 instapromotion to assassin gives him great bonuses (specifically the nice STR), and he's essentially a nice unit to Pair Up with others that need speed. His combat isn't as great as say, Lon'qu's, but he's still a nice unit to have. Thief utility is always nice, though there aren't many chests (only the secret book chest and that's it for him) he encounters before Anna's recruited, and she for the most part takes over his job. Anyway, Gaius is good. Not great, but good.

5/10

He has bad stats and only D swords when he shows up, so training him is kind of a pain. Probably worst for him, though, is that his major selling point (I'm a thief) gets totally obsoleted after he opens about one chest by Anna, who is far, far better at combat (and if we're allowed to buy her Levin Swords via spotpass teams for these ratings, she's a solid combatant the whole game) and can heal and also has 7 MOV to his 5. He is a solid pair up partner, though, and a potentially good combatant without too much effort, so I'll give him a 5.5/10.

Edit: What is the stance on Anna shops/Spotpass shops/Renown Awards? That could make a big difference for some units, like Anna as I mentioned above, and I'm sure having a bunch of Second Seals would benefit some people who no longer have to fight with Panne over the first one.

Edited by Rewjeo

Edit: What is the stance on Anna shops/Spotpass shops/Renown Awards? That could make a big difference for some units, like Anna as I mentioned above, and I'm sure having a bunch of Second Seals would benefit some people who no longer have to fight with Panne over the first one.

If you use them include them. If you don't use them don't include them. RTUs revolve around the voter not the system. (I think...)

Gaius starts off with an Iron Sword and subpar base stats, but until you nab Anna or ThiefKellam he's your only shot of opening chests. This means he'll likely be seeing some combat while he'll be doing his job, and if you use him enough, he will turn into a very powerful fighter once he reclasses or promotes into Assassin.

Speaking of which, his class sets are really nice. He has access to Sol from the fighter line and Astra and Swordfaire from the Swordsmaster. There's also the awesome thief line skills, all of which are useful to at least some degree, and... well, Warrior isn't THAT useful, but Counter is meh-ish since Gaius is frail in any class, and it helps his bow rank for Assassin.

All in all, he'll start off slow (ironically despite being fast), but he'll become a near-killing machine and useful utility soon enough.

7.5/10, +1 with bias for 8.5/10, because lolsugariscewl

Gaius. Joins in chapter 6. His bases are pretty bad except for spd. He's close to getting Killing Edges, has Locktouch and mov+1 in a few levels though. His spd and move pair up helps a lot of people, especially Cherche, whom I think is one of the best pairups in the game. Assasin Gaius gives so much str and spd, he makes the offense of anyone ridiculous. Trickster is a terrible class for him, but it is an alternative if you want to keep the move bonus. His defenses are terrible though, so he's not really up to frontlining. Pairup can solve it for awhile, but I find Gaius just doesn't keep growing well in def. His offense is pretty great, but overall, I'd say he's better off as a dual partner for someone better. His utility for this is not to be underestimated though ;/.

5/10 +1 bias because motherflipping Gaius 6/10

Edited by Peekayell

Pretty decent unit thanks to +1 move pair up bonus. He cut a lot of turns for me. I used him in almost every chapter due to just that. 5/10

Edited by Chiki

dem rules

4. Rate a character on their merits in combat or utility. Utility is classified as stealing, healing, or dancing. Utility does not include double bonuses, worth as a parent, or anything like them.
5. Do not lower the character's rating based on the abilities of another unit to do the same job.

Why are Anna exists and pair up bonuses like everything everyone mentions?

dem rules

4. Rate a character on their merits in combat or utility. Utility is classified as stealing, healing, or dancing. Utility does not include double bonuses, worth as a parent, or anything like them.

5. Do not lower the character's rating based on the abilities of another unit to do the same job.

Why are Anna exists and pair up bonuses like everything everyone mentions?

I rarely actually have those things effect my score even if I mention it.

AH, I've missed a few days. I have to rate Maribelle!

Her join chapter is one tough cookie for her, so on Lunatic and higher her joining could be in jeopardy, but pairing up should get her through it, and her Mend is slightly useful as well. Her bases are average, bordering good for a healer, and she has very solid, very consistent growth rates that allow her to grow quite well in Mag, Res, and Lck. Her Spd and Skill don't seem to fall behind either, but her Str and Def will always be rather lackluster. But for a healer and a Valkyrie, it's not quite a problem.

Maribelle makes a good Magic tank but is quite frail, and needs to be worked up before she's truly "proven her superiority." Nonetheless, her consistency makes her a reliable healer and Magic powerhouse if she is promoted to Sage or Valkyrie. She does not need as much work as, say, Lissa with reclassing to make her consistent, as she only really needs Defense.

And, G-Galeforce access.

Overall, a great unit. 7.5/10

Missed Ricken too.

Ricken's defense is the only thing he has over Miriel. His join chapter is tough for him as well due to a lack of speed, which seems to be his problem when trained as well. His bases are impressive, especially for Defense, and he grows surprisingly well in Def as well. His main problem is that the rest of his growth rates are somewhat up in the air, especially Spd, a notable flaw.

His reclassing options are not very good, as they don't use magic, but his strength might be improved somewhat by reclassing to Paladin or Cavalier, but Dark Knight can essentially give him the same bonuses.

He is a thoroughly average unit. Overall: 4.5/5

Ok, now for Gaius.

First thief, great reclassing options, as he has access to Counter and Vantage. Sadly, he is a stereotypical glass canon, and despises all things Def and Res while having a ridiculous amount of Spd and Skll. His luck is none to impressive either, but he will end up with a lot of Str despite really having no other stats to back it up, besides HP. So, he does make a good combat unit at first - at all, especially with only having a D in swords, and will need to be trained before he can stand alone. If not, Pairing up and switching should allow him to get most chests, but he will still need to be strong enough to withstand the enemy phase, which can be a big problem with him.

Utility unit at first, but can become a good fighter if trained well enough. Also, gives good class access to children and has a solid Spd modifier (*cough* for Cynthia *cough*).

Overall, a frail, but decent unit. 6/10

@ Sho- Pair up bonuses matter to me. And that's enough. Besides, pair up bonuses is an integral part of a unit's use, ignoring that would be dumb.

@ Sho- Pair up bonuses matter to me. And that's enough. Besides, pair up bonuses is an integral part of a unit's use, ignoring that would be dumb.

While this is true I think it's less "pair up boosts don't matter" and more of "pair up boosts matter less".

And If I want to take that into account when rating a unit, what's to stop me? Heck, maybe I didn't even substract or add points due to it, there's no way to know for certain. Does my rating become any less valid because of something I said? ;/

Well your argument (that by speaking of pair up bonuses, imply they matter to your score) does in fact become less valid because you are talking of irrelevant things. You could compare it to assuming Normal mode when its stated that this assumes hard mode. Is it valid to give credit for doing something well on normal when talking of hard mode?

Also, removing the fluff from your Gaius rating

Gaius. Joins in chapter 6. His bases are pretty bad except for spd. He's close to getting Killing Edges, has Locktouch and mov+1 in a few levels though. His defenses are terrible though, so he's not really up to frontlining. Pairup can solve it for awhile, but I find Gaius just doesn't keep growing well in def. His offense is pretty great, but overall, I'd say he's better off as a dual partner for someone better.

5/10 +1 bias because motherflipping Gaius 6/10

Not the worst but I have seen far more valid arguments for 5/10 score

Edited by Sho.M.the.Fallen

Gaius

+ Locktouch

+ Great speed and skill

+ Good classes and skills (Vantage, Astra, Sol, Acrobat, Pass, Lucky 7)

+ Passes Pegknight and nice speed as a father

- Starts with low strength and HP making him quite vulnerable, coupled with...

- Low defense and resistance even after training which means he struggles in combat

7/10, thieves are always useful and Gaius is one of the better ones offensively, + bias = 8/10