About Grima's face. (SPOILERS)

I'm sure you've noticed when Grima!Robin takes enough damage that enough of the plating on Grima's head falls off so that you can see the humanoid face it has.

Well here's a guess about that. Going with the idea that Grima came about after a fusion of the sealed Earth Dragons, the humanoid face on Grima refers to Medeus. Being the only Earth Dragon to take a humanoid form, as well as being a Earth Dragon who became a Shadow Dragon, Medeus was also part of the fusion, who played such a part in the fusion that Grima happened to get a humanoid face.

Edited by The Void

There's some validity to that speculation, I'd say. Personally, I hold a bit of what you could call a Loptyr-centric view of the whole deal - I suspect that Loptyr's spirit might have been the reason why Medeus became evil, and believe that he is paramount in the fusion of the earth dragons into Grima - he could have perhaps even orchestrated it, though that may be giving Loptyr a bit too much credit.

However, regardless of those thoughts, I think it's certainly feasible the Medeus was in some way used as the center of Grima's physical form, though obviously it's essentially impossible to speculate as to how exactly the mechanics of fusion work. Certainly it's the best explanation I've heard for the humanoid face.

Edited by Lhyonnaes

I haven't really thought about it much, but I figured the face was meant to symbolise the human nature of Grima. Either as a result of fusing with the Avatar in Lucina's timeline or something they've always possessed.

I haven't really thought about it much, but I figured the face was meant to symbolise the human nature of Grima. Either as a result of fusing with the Avatar in Lucina's timeline or something they've always possessed.

You'd think it would have something to do with the Avatar, but remember that the Grima from the present is not the result of any "ascension" by the Avatar. I suppose you could argue that it's a result of the massive quantities of human quintessence used by Future Grima to revive him...

Actually, there's an interesting though - don't we see the 1000-year-old skull of Grima near Plegia Castle? That would seem to imply that Grima's human face is new this time around, wouldn't it... Hrmmmmmmmm...

he could of had it but in way it might be new remember 1 exalt fought it idk if it ment marth or someone else but you can clearly notice they havent really presant a history expt being marth decendends in other word grima could have already had it and might have bin created by medeus in other term it could be present that he was ether medeus or created by someone i could be wrong and there could also be a fussion that might happen as well as a body change and all.

I actually just noticed this, seriously how the hell did I not notice this before? It's ugly as heck and is now staring into my soul.

Probably has to do with me one-shotting the guy on my playthroughs (haven't finished Lunatic so everything ends very quickly).

Edited by Jackos

I...don't think I've ever seen that in my game. How do you do it?

Don't kill him in one shot.

Also, get through his Pavise. You don't knock off any pieces if he gets in that defensive stance.

At nearly half HP, he loses the bottom dragon jaw. At under it, he loses the top part and exposes the face.

Edited by shadowofchaos

I...don't think I've ever seen that in my game. How do you do it?

Pretty sure it happens once Grima is around 50% HP

Edit: TOO SLOW BRO

Edited by Owain Dark

^ I like how Olivia is all freaked out and Grima is all "GRRRAWR" meanwhile your Avatar is spazzing out in the corner

Well he did get killed by Olivia. With 3 damage... after which I Dual Attack critted with a katana... in unpromoted tactician form.

I'd be spazzing out too.

Edited by shadowofchaos

There's some validity to that speculation, I'd say. Personally, I hold a bit of what you could call a Loptyr-centric view of the whole deal - I suspect that Loptyr's spirit might have been the reason why Medeus became evil, and believe that he is paramount in the fusion of the earth dragons into Grima - he could have perhaps even orchestrated it, though that may be giving Loptyr a bit too much credit.

Both Medeus and Loptyr have similar speeches when they reach 0HP. As well how Medeus did become a Shadow Dragon in Mystery and it's remake.

Loptyr playing a part in how Medeus was and the fusion of the Earth Dragons is something I can see happening.

Edited by The Void

Don't kill him in one shot.

Also, get through his Pavise. You don't knock off any pieces if he gets in that defensive stance.

At nearly half HP, he loses the bottom dragon jaw. At under it, he loses the top part and exposes the face.

How can I kill him in one shot. The only unit doing double-digit Dmg was Chrom with the Exalted. e____e

How can I kill him in one shot. The only unit doing double-digit Dmg was Chrom with the Exalted. e____e

It's pretty easy to one shot him in Hard and Normal Mode. Chrom actually has a crit chance as the partner on pair up. And that goes through his Pavise.

Both Medeus and Loptyr have similar speeches when they reach 0HP. As well how Medeus did become a Shadow Dragon in Mystery and it's remake.

Loptyr playing a part in how Medeus was and the fusion of the Earth Dragons is something I can see happening.

Exactly.

And think about it this way - after the events of Genealogy, Medeus and Loptyr are the only two un-sealed Earth Dragons in the world. Loptyr no longer has a physical body or any vessels he can possess, but as we see in Awakening, sufficiently powerful dragon spirits seem to be able to pull of some sort of limited manifestation in the presence of those associated with their power (Naga post-Awakening ritual, maybe Grima when he resurrects Validar). I think it's reasonable to assume that Loptyr can, at least in part, hang out with Medeus.

So we get the situation where, for around about 1000 years (until the seal on the earth dragons is re-made at the end of Mystery of the Emblem), Medeus has to put up with Loptyr hanging around and annoying him - Loptyr has literally nowhere else he can be, and Medeus has no possible way to get rid of him. No wonder the Earth Dragon Prince goes crazy.

Hell, you could even theorize that it was Loptyr's intention all along for Medeus to get killed by Anri and Marth, because it allowed him to, over the course of two resurrections, co-occupy and eventually hijack a dragon's body. So when you encounter Dark Dragon Medeus in Mystery of the Emblem, it's really Loptyr having taken over Medeus's body. He's stopped before he can consume the power of all the earth dragons emerging from their seal, but that doesn't stop him from eventually assimilating them while locked away for a thousand years.

...Any obvious logical flaws come to anyone's mind?