Lunatic+ playlog/guide/walkthrough - COMPLETED

I FOUND YOUR FIRST MISTAKE.

Your avatar looks just like mine but with Blonde hair. UNACCEPTABRU.

Screw the rules I have Green hair!

Wait Nvm, mine has her eyes open.

Woah, nice use of a trick. You got 5 levels on avatar on prologue, this is going to be very useful on future playthroughs.

Edited by 1% critted

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From here, a useful trick: none of the enemies here can occupy a Water tile. Of your own units, only Chrom and Avatar can move onto water. Therefore, you can pair AvatarxLissa and ChromxFrederick, and have your entire team out of reach of everything except the Elthunder mage. With Lissa giving +2 MAG and +2 RES, Avatar can attract/duel the Mage (use Vulneraries on Player Phase), while ChromxFrederick play rope-a-dope elsewhere to keep the Mercs and Barbs at bay. Once the mage is dead, it's a simple matter to kill off everyone else with Thunder, worry-free.

Seriously, this is awesome O_O

I'm a bit surprised you're not using Henry: he has access to Assassin and Warrior, and obviously, he's a Dark Mage. But I suppose using him would take the challenge out of it, wouldn't it? :)

Errr.... what? How does Henry take the challenge out of anything? And what does Assassin and Warrior have to do with it? Those classes are terrible for Henry in any circumstance, never mind in a Luna+ no grind run. If anything, using Henry in those classes (which I am pretty sure the OP isn't doing) would add to the challenge not detract from it. Maybe I am misinterpreting something here because this doesn't make much sense to me.

Interceptor, you probably don't care about my opinion on this but I'll give you it anyway.

I know how much you love my selective quoting XD so here goes:

Welcome to my Lunatic+ playlog/guide/walkthrough. There are others like it, but this is the only one with a 16-bit animated GIF of a dog. This one has a lot of bulleted lists, so buckle your safety belts.

This made me laugh... I'm sure that at the very least yours will be a lot more humorous then mine. My writing has a tendency to be kind of dry... ok make that very dry. Good thing to know that yours doesn't share this tendency.

Purpose of this thread is to document a repeatable (to the extent possible) run of the game, that involves minimal resetting and heartache.

I like the idea of trying to make it repeatable, but this is still probably going to cause quite a bit of heartache XD. I guess you could have banned Anna shops for more repeatability but I agree with your decision to allow them because I've always been an advocate of Anna shops on Luna and Luna+.

On another note, are you using Event tiles?

Overall, this looks to be another great addition to the growing "Luna+ club" if you will. Good decision not to use DM Cordelia and it was honestly very insightful of you to reserve the second post for overflow, I wish i had done that. Also, that glitch with the water was pretty interesting. Lastly, I would recommend not recruiting spotpass team characters (I know you aren't planning on using many anyway, but still, spotpass team items and spotpass team characters are a different thing entirely--I'm looking at you, Jaffar).

BTW, whoever said it, I strongly disagree that it is either no reset or go casual in terms of classic difficulty, but that's another matter.

Edited by Walhart

Interceptor, you probably don't care about my opinion on this

Nonsense; feedback from the Lunatic+ Brotherhood of Masochists is always welcome. Nobody else truly understands the insanity like someone who's been in it before.

I like the idea of trying to make it repeatable, but this is still probably going to cause quite a bit of heartache XD. I guess you could have banned Anna shops for more repeatability but I agree with your decision to allow them because I've always been an advocate of Anna shops on Luna and Luna+.

On another note, are you using Event tiles?

Even though I am allowing Anna shops, in reality they will only be used for Seals. I don't expect that I will buy other items, even if they would be useful. Everything that's necessary for this run is available via Spotpass, for the most part.

I'm using Event tiles, in the sense that I'll keep whatever I get if I accidentally land on one, but otherwise I don't worry about it. If I happen to pick up something absurd, I'd just sell it.

Overall, this looks to be another great addition to the growing "Luna+ club" if you will. Good decision not to use DM Cordelia and it was honestly very insightful of you to reserve the second post for overflow, I wish i had done that. Also, that glitch with the water was pretty interesting. Lastly, I would recommend not recruiting spotpass team characters (I know you aren't planning on using many anyway, but still, spotpass team items and spotpass team characters are a different thing entirely--I'm looking at you, Jaffar).

Well, we're all standing on the shoulders of giants, right? I've picked up a few things along the way, and with any luck, someone will be able to use something here to improve the next pass.

I had fully intended to use Spotpass characters in my first run-through, but no-grind didn't turn out to be as impossible as I had feared, so I'm staying away from them here. Although it's worth mentioning that I have no philosophical objection to it. To your example, I feel like if someone wants to invest 16,500G on Jaffar for what he brings, I feel like that's legit. It's not an insignificant sum of gold, and Jaffar is not going to be able to hang lategame.

Nonsense; feedback from the Lunatic+ Brotherhood of Masochists is always welcome. Nobody else truly understands the insanity like someone who's been in it before.

Haha I agree. We masochists got to stick together. I added your walkthrough to my list of Luna+ walkthroughs which I have posted at a few places around here.

Even though I am allowing Anna shops, in reality they will only be used for Seals. I don't expect that I will buy other items, even if they would be useful. Everything that's necessary for this run is available via Spotpass, for the most part.

I'm using Event tiles, in the sense that I'll keep whatever I get if I accidentally land on one, but otherwise I don't worry about it. If I happen to pick up something absurd, I'd just sell it.

Anna shops are quite handy for early seals and physics, but since you are allowing spotpass team items the latter doesn't matter. Like I've said before, I think Anna shops are more than fair (for much the same reason that you are allowing recruiting spotpass team characters).

As for event tiles, the only things that are absurd are Aversa's Night and maybe Celica's Gale, but I had no problem with CG since although they really helped train Miriel they only allow 5 full rounds of combat each. So, as far as items fromevent tiles and barracks (i am assuming barracks are legit if event tiles are), they don't have much of a long-term impact so I wouldn't worry about it using them if you get one here and there.

Well, we're all standing on the shoulders of giants, right? I've picked up a few things along the way, and with any luck, someone will be able to use something here to improve the next pass.

Yep, couldn't have put it much better myself, I eagerly await the day when someone (not me) tries to minimum LTC Luna+.

I had fully intended to use Spotpass characters in my first run-through, but no-grind didn't turn out to be as impossible as I had feared, so I'm staying away from them here. Although it's worth mentioning that I have no philosophical objection to it. To your example, I feel like if someone wants to invest 16,500G on Jaffar for what he brings, I feel like that's legit. It's not an insignificant sum of gold, and Jaffar is not going to be able to hang lategame.

A valid point, basically the same logic for allowing Anna shops.

I am wondering approximately at what pace you think you will be going. It's probably too early to tell but I am still curious if it will be a snail's pace 1-2 chapters per month like me or more like 1% critted's half a dozen or so updated chapters per week. Not that it really matters much, just curious.

Edited by Walhart

As for event tiles, the only things that are absurd are Aversa's Night and maybe Celica's Gale, but I had no problem with CG since although they really helped train Miriel they only allow 5 full rounds of combat each. So, as far as items fromevent tiles and barracks (i am assuming barracks are legit if event tiles are), they don't have much of a long-term impact so I wouldn't worry about it using them if you get one here and there.

I'll be avoiding the Barracks as well, I think. I used it on my first run, but those random stat boosters can be pretty potent. I'll update the OP on the next push.

I am wondering approximately at what pace you think you will be going. It's probably too early to tell but I am still curious if it will be a snail's pace 1-2 chapters per month like me or more like 1% critted's half a dozen or so updated chapters per week. Not that it really matters much, just curious.

Something in between. The early chapters are the most difficult and time-consuming to detail. Honestly, once this train gets going, it turns into a slug-fest because of the nature of bows. Every chapter write-up will look like this:
  • Welcome to Chapter X
  • We're going to [turtle in a corner/rush like hell] somewhere. The best [defensive location/reckless strategy] is Y.
  • Here's a few random bits of trivia that you may find useful when tackling the skills here.
  • If you need to train some scrub-bag, here's a couple tips Z specific to this map.
  • Absurd turn count Q.
  • Stat chart C.
  • Shopping list for next chapter.
At least, that's how it was in my first, unwritten run. Which was like an episode of Survivor, where only Avatar and Morgan made it to the end.

OP updated with Ch1:

[spoiler=Chapter 1: Unwelcome Change]

This chapter is half the reason why I started with a DEF asset, and spent as much effort training Avatar as I did in Prologue; the map is lousy with physical attackers, and has a Hammer Fighter that can OHKO Frederick even on a Fort. As Louise is slightly above-average on DEF (11 base, +3 in five level-ups), that means with a Frederick support on a Fort, she has effectively 17 DEF. This means that the Archer in this chapter, for example, literally tinks her (has 17 atk).

Unfortunately, her SPD is the same as it was at base, and she's doubled by the Mercenaries. Under ordinary circumstances (vanilla Lunatic), this wouldn't be a huge problem, however on this mode, with Luna+ they will tear through her defenses. Fortunately, there are only two such Mercs. Fred can handle one without putting himself in danger of the Hammer Fighter, and the misfit group of Chrom/Sully/Virion/Lissa can handle the other one.

Keys to the chapter: train Avatar, keep Frederick away from the Hammer, and be careful of the boss (you may want to reset if he has Luna+; it can be irritating).

Since I already took care of item Feng Shui at the end of Prologue, I start by pairing Frederick with Avatar, and killing the left-side Merc (with his +1 MV bonus, you barely make it). Frederick either needs +STR, or Avatar needs 10 STR base in order to OHKO with Silver, but even if he misses by one point it's not a huge deal: the Merc hardly hurts him without Luna+. Alternately, you can stop one spot above the Merc, to attract an extra hit for an Axe Guy. It depends on skill distribution and your ability to safely take risks. Chrom creeps down the right hand side, with Lissa close by, taking care to stay out of range.

After Enemy Phase, Frederick is probably beat to hell, so you'll want to retreat to the nearby Fort and switch to Avatar. It may or may not be safe to take a kill with Thunder, depending on positioning (don't forget that Bronze Sword gives you WTA here).

Meanwhile, Sully and Virion have shown up. Sully is doubled and ORKO'ed by the Mercenary nearby, but if you Pair Chrom on top of her, she stop being doubled and is 3HKOed as long as she is on a forest tile. Trade Virion's Elixir to Chrom. Pair Chrom/Sully, sit on a forest and wait with Lance in hand; take care not to attract one of the axes. Keep Lissa nearby to heal, but safely out of range.

After you (hopefully) survive Enemy Phase, Sully will need to fall back onto another forest and possibly be healed. If it's not safe to do so, that's fine: as long as the Merc doesn't have Luna+, she can take one more round from him. Switch with Chrom if necessary; he doesn't have WTA but can eat a hit.

The rest is clean-up. Avatar should be able to handle the remaining Risen and the boss with Sword/Thunder on the Fort. Eat Vulneraries to stay healthy. If you get a bad roll on skills, it's fine to fight a running battle through the north/west forest to limit Enemy Phase exposure (this can happen if you have some unlucky Hawkeye/Luna+ enemies). In an emergency, you have Sully/Chrom/Virion/Lissa to draw an enemy over to kill, or Frederick with his Silver for a quick OHKO finisher.

Louise nearly made it to level 9, and got a couple of good level-ups, so I gave the boss to Chrom.

Turns: 7 (don't get used to this)

Heroes: Loiuse & Frederick

Level HP ST MG SK SP LK DF RS Wlvl
Louise      8.86 25 12 8  6  8  9  13 5  E Swd, C Tome
Chrom       2.36 20 8  1  9  9  6  7  1  E Swd
Frederick   1.55 28 13 2  12 10 6  14 3  D Swd/Axe, B Lnc
Lissa       3.72 18 2  7  5  5  8  4  6  D Stf

Supports   C - Chrom|Sully, Louise|Lissa/Frederick

Well, ladies and gentlemen, I have my first moral dilemma: Chapter 2.

Instead of the standard method, there's a way to increase the reliability of the clear by making a sacrifice. Sully and Stahl can pull a maneuver that puts Avatar on a Fort -- and Frederick right beneath her -- on Turn 1. This results in their deaths, but draws away enemies from the starting spot, and puts FrederickxAvatar in a position to Pair Up on the Fort and tank the whole map (they won't die unless a bunch of things have Luna+ all at once).

Sully and Stahl have no place in this bow-user playthrough. So, are you as cold-hearted as Marth? Do you send them to their deaths?

I thought since you didn't care about turns, you were going to support grind on this chapter by breaking the boss' weapon. Oh well :/

I thought about it, but it's tedious and doesn't really lend any large advantages, so I just did it the usual way. Edited by Interceptor

I personally would like to see no-deaths in nogrind due to perfectionism/hopes that it would be replicable but if it's what it takes to beat the chapter then go for it.

I'll try to no deaths when I personally do it anyway but maybe I'm just a masochist.

From what I understand, there exist many such possible ways of increasing the reliability via a sacrifice. For this reason, I think most readers would give you more style points for a somewhat less reliable no-deaths clear than for a highly reliable one-death clear. It's up to you, though.

For this reason, I think most readers would give you more style points for a somewhat less reliable no-deaths clear than for a highly reliable one-death clear. It's up to you, though.

I'm in the highlighted set.

Blood sacrifices should be avoided in my personal opinion.

I decided to do a standard clear, which is to say that I had to mash reset until the map wasn't full of Luna+ enemies. There is just no way to beat this chapter that has a high chance of success. OP updated with Chapter 2.

[spoiler=Chapter 2: Shepherds]

Welcome to hell. Even after careful training of an over-leveled high-DEF Avatar, success in this chapter depends not on your strategic abilities or preparation, but how many Luna+ enemies that the game decides to throw at you. This is a chapter where I wish they'd have started the Aegis+/Pavise+ train just a little bit earlier, to give a normal strategy a fighting chance of success. But alas, this is what we've got.

Keys to the chapter: stretch before you start, so that you don't get a cramp from pushing L+R+Start to soft-reset constantly; get the Elixir to your main combatants (trade, or Pair them with Chrom); prioritize killing Luna+ enemies, especially if they have Hawkeye; keep the squishy people away from the action.

You have two basic ways to approach this map. Either put Avatar and Fred together, or separate them with different partners. The advantage of the FredxLouise tandem is that with a C support, Fred is giving +5 DEF from Pair-up, meaning that enemies just can't kill you fast enough without Luna+. The advantage of a split, is that while both units will have lower defenses, you have better offense with two Player Phase attacks, are able to fight side-by-side to limit enemy facings, and have more total health to go around. The choice largely depends on how good Avatar turned out.

In my case, Louise is a giant pile of defense, so I opt to go for the single pair strategy. Chrom hands off the Elixir, and FredxLouise head north past the mountain to attack the Mercenary from afar with Thunder. Meanwhile, everyone else retreats to the left-hand side. A good way to facilitate the escape is to have Sully carry Vaike (or someone else) as far to the left/down as she can, and drop him to her right. This allows Lissa to run up and pair with the dropped unit, and saves a lot of aggravation. It's possible to have a slightly modified version of this if the Axe guy on the Mountain doesn't have Pass, and you block him on the right.

If you go with a two-pair strategy, note that you have four people that give +2 DEF on Pair-up (Sully, Stahl, Virion, Vaike). Fred cannot quite OHKO the Merc in the forest unless you've been incredibly lucky, but he can weaken for Avatar to finish off (use Avatar to hit with Thunder first if the Merc has Luna+, otherwise Fred takes too much damage). Fred can use Stahl's Sword in this chapter to get WTA against axes, but if the axe guy on the mountain has Hawkeye, you are probably in a lot of trouble. Don't be afraid to use the Elixir if you have to; there won't be another one until Valm in all likelihood, but Concoctions will suffice until then.

In any case, you'll want to use the defensive tiles to your advantage. There are nearby forests, and you can also sit on the Mountain for Fort-like defenses without the healing. I had Louise fight on a forest, so that the masses of enemies didn't overwhelm my group down in the bottom left.

It's OK if an enemy leaks out towards your group of squishies. You have a healer, several people who can take at least one hit, and both Mirel and Virion can soften up a target from safety. In my clear of this chapter, I had the scrubs take down two of the starting-zone enemies.

The second group of enemies past the bridge are much easier; just note who has Luna+, and fight accordingly. Forts make it much easier, since you can actually dodge some of the Luna+ enemies (as long as they don't have Hawkeye).

It's worth noting that this chapter becomes a lot easier if you are willing to sacrifice units. On Casual mode, I'd advise suiciding as many units as possible in order to buy Fred and Avatar time to work safely (this helps deal with large numbers of Luna+ units). On Classic, you can probably afford to give up one or two units that you weren't intending to use anyway.

Anyway, Louise was doing well for me again, so I gave the boss kill to Chrom.

Turns: 13

Heroes: Loiuse & Frederick

Louise     13.13 27 14 12 7  12 14 17 6  D Swd, C Tome
Chrom       3.33 21 8  1  10 10 7  8  1  E Swd
Frederick   1.85 28 13 2  12 10 6  14 3  D Swd/Axe, B Lnc
Lissa       4.57 18 2  8  6  5  9  4  7  D Stf

Supports   C - Chrom|Sully, Louise|Lissa/Frederick
Louise has effectively surpassed Frederick at this point, for base stats. He still has a weaponry and mobility advantage. Edited by Interceptor

Something you may want to know Interceptor, the AI itself doesn't know it has Luna+, so if the enemy can kill an ally with Luna+(only with Luna+) or deal more damage to another unit, it will choose to do higher damage instead of getting the kill. In short, the AI doesn't know it can Luna+.

Something you may want to know Interceptor, the AI itself doesn't know it has Luna+, so if the enemy can kill an ally with Luna+(only with Luna+) or deal more damage to another unit, it will choose to do higher damage instead of getting the kill. In short, the AI doesn't know it can Luna+.

This makes me laugh...

Believe it or not, this actually came in handy during Ch3. Thanks for the AI tip.

OP updated with Ch3:

[spoiler=Chapter 3: Warrior Realm]

This chapter offers a welcome reprieve from the mindless reset-mashing of Ch2, and now "strategy" replaces "pick a god and pray" as the best way to approach a battle. Chapter 3 adds three new Lunatic+ skills to the possible pool: Aegis+, Pavise+, and Counter. It's also the first time that you'll have the opportunity to train someone else other than the Avatar (incredibly important for upcoming chapters like 5 and 6), and is a good map to showcase some of the tactics that will be necessary going forward. In fact, let's list out a few of them right now; some are map-specific, but others represent things that are important for the rest of the game:

• The enemies on the bottom floor don't attack unless you end your turn in their range. This means that you can walk up to Kellam, Talk, Pair Up, and walk out of range on Turn 1 without having to deal with combat. This lets you spend as much time as you need to get your crap together. Top-half enemies work similarly.
  • Learn to love the "Remove" command. It will unequip a weapon. This is how we deal with Counter. Note that if you trade afterwards (even if it's not a weapon that's being traded), a unit will automatically re-equip the topmost usable weapon.
  • Enemies with Pass can ruin your day when it comes to setting up choke points, but while they can pass through your units, they still need an empty space to land on at the end. This means that you can make choke points work by clogging up every available spot on the other side of your tanks. This comes in handy on this chapter, which has natural chokes available.
  • While Pair-up is important, you also need to know how to effectively use the Switch and Transfer commands. When you are operating in tight quarters, or need to provide a temporary stat boost, or need to pass someone down a line, there is no substitute. You always move the Support unit, so Switch will get the right person in that slot.
For this map, we'll be using full deployment. Having ten units (don't forget Kellam and Sumia) out makes it harder to turtle against the right-side enemies, but makes the Player Phase rush of the left hand side considerably easier. If the Knight on the left-hand side has Aegis+, or the Soldier has Counter, you may want to reset to save some aggravation. Your job doesn't become impossible, but it's a lot harder than normal.

Strong choices for Lead units include Avatar (obviously), Frederick, Sumia (she can double Archers with a Chrom support), Miriel (Lissa support helps her offense), and Virion. Vaike is alright if you need a non-Aegis weapon type, but he'd have a miss chance even if his target had 0 avoid, so it's a chancy pick.

Start by recruiting Kellam (see above), and setting up your initial groups and placements. If Avatar is strong enough (and the skills allow it), having AvatarxKellam attack the Knight with magic is a strong opening move, since you'll kill the Knight on Enemy Phase and also damage both archers and the soldier. If that's not possible, two to three enemy facings are better than nothing, but keep in mind that the right hand side starts moving immediately, and you only have three turns until they arrive. Clean up the mess with the rest of your units, remembering to not keep primary units Paired together: you need maximum offense. Use scrubs as Support units.

After the left is clear, the right will be hot on your tail, so quickly cram everyone into the corridor leading to the door. Since you have five unit pairs, you'll need to make a reverse "L" shape, with FrederickxKellam in the left-hand corner (one enemy facing), and AvatarxAnyone at the entrance to the corridor (two enemy facings). Keep in mind that the enemy archer can shoot over Avatar's head; make sure that whoever you put there can take a hit and also potentially retaliate (Miriel with a +2 DEF support works for this unless the archer has Luna; Sully can take one shot if he does).

Unequip both Fred and Avatar. This is where they tank with their faces, and allow a 2-range unit like Mirel, Virion, or Sully/Sumia (with Kellam's javelin) to plink away and get some kills. Kellam and Sumia come with fresh Vulneraries, in case you are running low. Clean up the archer first if you can, and then the rest is just academic. Get Avatar and Fred involved sooner if there are dangerous Luna+ enemies, remembering to unequip (or trade with another unit after combat if you attacked). If you want want to be manly, crack open the door and kill the Knight outright; that will give you a little breathing room and allow a tighter choke.

Once both of the bottom sides are dead, take a breather. The hardest part of the chapter is over. When you're healed up (don't be shy about healing, the Knight from the RHS drops a Heal staff), crack the door open and kill the Knight. From here, it's very easy to make a death-zone choke point, since you can sprawl your ten remaining units out behind a face-tanking Avatar that only faces one enemy at a time. Be careful of the archers. Enemy AI is smart enough to move a melee unit out of the way to shoot someone over Avatar's head, so don't get careless and leave anyone exposed. Kite the enemy rather than walling, if there is too much Luna+ to deal with. If you lose, it was because of a strategic mistake. Kill the boss when you are ready, and complete the chapter.

I chose to train Miriel here, since I'm curious to see if she'll make a decent Troubadour/Laurent. She did such a nice job on the scrubs (gained 7 levels), that I gave her the boss kill.

Turns: 58

Heroes: Miriel & Kellam

Louise     14.05 27 15 12 8  13 15 18 6  D Swd, C Tome
Chrom       3.38 21 8  1  10 10 7  8  1  E Swd
Frederick   2.06 29 14 2  12 11 6  15 4  D Swd/Axe, A Lnc
Lissa       8.34 20 3  10 7  7  13 6  7  C Stf
Miriel      8.49 23 1  8  10 10 11 5  8  C Tome

Supports   B - Louise|Frederick
           C - Chrom|Sully, Louise|Lissa, Miriel|Kellam
Wireless features unlocked! Bonus items up to Armads, Renown up to Large Bullion. Anna shop spawned, so I picked up a Second Seal and a Concoction. Also got a healthy stock of STR/DEF Tonics, and replenished some weapons (Thunder broken, Fire down to 4 uses; Miriel trained hardcore).

I don't mess around, son.

OP updated with Ch4:

[spoiler=Chapter 4: Two Falchions]

This chapter is fairly short and straightforward. There are only six deployment slots, it's a Rout, and you'll randomly get screwed over by skill distribution. The strength of the enemies, the small size of the map, and the speed at which they come after you, can make certain combinations difficult to deal with.

Keys to the chapter: kill as quickly as possible, be efficient with offense.

I chose to deploy Avatar, Kellam, Frederick, Lissa, and my newly-trained Mirel. This gives a pretty good balance of tankiness, recovery, ranged attacks, and damage types. AvatarxChrom was able to double and ORKO the Fighters with the help of a STR tonic, FrederickxKellam can OHKO the mages with Silver and play a running game with Javelins, Miriel was deadly to Knights and strong vs. the Fighters.

You'll want to watch out for Pavise+ (prevents OHKO) and Vantage+ (forces Fred to take damage) on the mages, Counter (for obvious reasons) on the Fighters, and Aegis+ on the Knights. Also you'll want to be aware of what skills Marth is carrying; depending on your approach, some combinations are worse than others. The Fighter/Mages will move first, then the Knights, then the 1-2 range Fighters, and finally Marth. You don't have a lot of time to take care of the waves, so plan ahead and don't waste any Player Phase opportunities.

I had to have Louise do most of the combat here, but everyone contributed, even Kellam (had him soak a hit with an Iron Lance equipped while I ran Lissa over to heal Frederick).

Turns: 7

Heroes: Louise & Chrom

Louise     15.78 27 16 12 8  14 16 18 6  C Swd, C Tome
Chrom       3.60 21 8  1  10 10 7  8  1  D Swd
Frederick   2.52 29 14 2  12 11 6  15 4  D Swd/Axe, A Lnc
Lissa       8.98 20 3  10 7  7  13 6  7  C Stf
Miriel      8.96 23 1  8  10 10 11 5  8  C Tome

Supports   B - Louise|Frederick
           C - Chrom|Sully, Louise|Lissa/Chrom, Miriel|Kellam, Frederick|Lissa
Good thing I stocked up on tonics, since the first order of duty after Ch4 was for a Skirmish to spawn right on top of The Longfort.

Yeah, those skirmishes can ruin whole strategies, before they are even employed!

When are you going to use Celica's Gale? Are you going Paralogue 1 or Chapter 5? Is Mayonnaise an instrument?

Edited by 1% critted

I haven't decided about Celica's yet; probably like most of the strong bonus items, it will be a "break glass in case of emergency" sort of thing. In some cases, literally. I used a Glass Sword on Marth.

Probably I will do Paralogue 1 first, but also not sure about that. The enemies are higher level in Ch5, and it's annoying to keep Maribelle/Ricken alive without the Rescue staff; on the other hand, Avatar needs to be reclassed soon, and I'm not sure that I want to throw down that map as a Mercenary. Although, I do have Miriel for Elwind bombing. I might try them both and see how it plays out.

No Patrick, mayonnaise is not an instrument.

Something you probably already thought of but don't forget you don't need to kill a counter user to render counter useless you only need to get him weak enough so that a single retaliation will kill him. Counter will not activate if the blow is lethal, just make sure to check for Pavise+.

When I had a number of Great Knights(everyone went throught GK for Luna and DG+) I would frequently leave a counter unit at half hp if to target a Sage especially is they had Hawkeye and Luna+.

I thought about having a number of bow users but the idea seemed very double edged. Each unit can only kill 1 enemy per turn (until Galeforce) so if you are constantly ending you turn with a bow in hand you wont be retaliating during the AIs turn meaning you are leaving more enemies alive to damage you on the next turn and so forth. While a lot of maps have enemies that wont rush until you reach a certain point, thus meaning you could wait out the reinforcements and than progress to the next bit, it may be more difficult on the crowded maps, you may be more vulenerable to been swarmed.

Mark all the units with counter at the start then hit X and constantly position you units in the 'pink' danger zone so they can retaliate bow users on the edge to force ranged combat or melee on the inside when there are no enemy units the can hit from 2 spaces, stay clear of the 'red' zone until you can hope in and eliminate someone with counter(or weaken to a point where a retaliate will kill), if using a unit with a 1-2 range before you engage deselect him and see where the 'red' zone ends to make sure after you kill him another counter unit isn't in range. If he is either use another unit to deal with him position your unit to force range combat.

Of course later on when you get Galeforce the counter problem is gone as you can hope in and out of the 'red' after a kill.

Although I had planed on have mostly Assassins and Sorcerers in my team in didn't get that way until chapter 22 or so because I spent so much time reclassing through Great Knight, Paladin, Merc and Dark Flier gathering skills for everyone, although I steamrolled those final chapters :)

Still I hope it works fine, good luck.

Edited by shorty

I know that bows are not the most efficient way to deal with Lunatic+, but they have an advantage that other strategies don't: they will never get overwhelmed by a high percentage of Counter spawns, and in fact it gets easier the more often this happens (because Counter is now a wasted skill slot). You don't have to kite, you just have to turtle. In other words, bows are more reliable.

It's not even the case that you are limited to Player Phase offense. For example, Morgan is going to be a Warrior; he'll have a 43 DEF cap, and he can pull out Axes any old time that he wants to have a 1-range or 1-2 range option. This is also true to a lesser extent for Gregor (another Warrior), or any Bow Knights that I might have (especially Avatar, who can use a Levin Sword effectively). I may or may not have a usable Sorcerer for Nosferatu, it depends on how the Miriel experiment turns out.

It should work, since I've done it once before already. This isn't a "let's see if this is viable" thread, this is a "I've already done this, so here's how to repeat it" thread.

Thanks for sharing the advice anyway, those are useful tips for dealing with Counter that other people can use, or are helpful in the early stages before bows get going (I'll have to do some of those things in Paralogue 1).